Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

My girlfriend needs a new laptop for Grad school (her old dell or Hp whatever has a bad battery and the computer has cooling issues).

Whats the current favorite for academic pursuits - Word, excel, PPT, skype w/ video chats/ browsing internet? She really doesn't use the computer much other than schoolwork - most of her web browsing is done on her iPhone.

Budget is preferably sub $500, but maybe up to $650 if its really a huge improvement over what the 500 can get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Massasoit posted:

My girlfriend needs a new laptop for Grad school (her old dell or Hp whatever has a bad battery and the computer has cooling issues).

Whats the current favorite for academic pursuits - Word, excel, PPT, skype w/ video chats/ browsing internet? She really doesn't use the computer much other than schoolwork - most of her web browsing is done on her iPhone.

Budget is preferably sub $500, but maybe up to $650 if its really a huge improvement over what the 500 can get.

Think my post may have been lost in page change.
Any suggestions?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Take her to Best Buy and let her pick her own loving laptop, goon.

That was needlessly abrasive, but seriously. With a $600 budget and such limited needs, she can drat near pick anything and be well-served. Just keep an eye out for build quality and let her go hog wild.

Thanks. I haven't bought a laptop in a very long time, and I wasn't sure if there were any preferred brands currently.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Are there any concerns with buying a refurbished computer form NewEgg or are they of similar quality to new products?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Any thoughts on the ACER Aspire E5?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834314556

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

How do we feel about a refurbished E440 from the Lenovo Outlet for a excel/word/powerpoint/web usage for a graduate student? i5 4200m 4gb ram

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Is anyone else having trouble viewing the lenovo outlet page? None of the computers are loading on either my desktop or laptop, neither chrome on internet explorer.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Does anyone have experience with the Microsoft Surface Pro 3? Are there better options for portable lightweight laptop that could be used as a tablet?

Would be used for word/excel/access, light gaming, media consumption, internet.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

What's the difference between T series p/s? P's have dedicated video?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

An s model would be fine for internet/excel/access/video watching/light indie gaming? Probably even overkill for that?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

My friend is going in the peace corps and deploying to Africa. He's looking for a laptop to do text editing. He's hoping to get something that is fairly tough and preferably dust resistant.

The kicker is his budget is 'as little as possible'. He's looking at the Asus TP200S

Any other suggestions less than 400 that can run word/open office?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

The Iron Rose posted:

Usede t420/t430 easy.

How would an x220 be vs t420/30?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

The Iron Rose posted:

Better screen if you get the IPS screen, though I don't think there's a 1600x900 option. It is lighter with slightly better battery life. Not sure on the durability, but if it's comparable go for it.

They're roughly the same price on Newegg. I'll get him the info and see if he wants a bit more durability or a bit more portability.

Thanks for the input

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

X230 looks like it might be in the price range but the 240 is out I think. Can't find any for less than 800 unless my Google fu is bad today

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

How's the surface 3 for mostly tablet use with some use as a note taking (typing with type cover) use? Non pro

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Maybe I should describe my use case a bit more. My wife would like a tablet she can watch Netflix/hulu on around the house and do web browsing/emails that isn't her phone when she doesn't want to pull out our laptop.

I'd like something I can bring with me to conferences and meetings to take notes on. Wouldn't be doing anything particularly intense on it, but I'd like it to be about to last all day for typing (Wi-Fi off)

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

What is the recommended Chromebook I can use for meeting notes and maybe occasional netflixing?

Sub 200 would be great

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I want to get something I can mostly use as a tablet, but has a keyboard I can use to type with if needed. I have a laptop, but it's getting old, and I have a Chromebook I've been using to bring to meetings to take notes, but I think I'd like to shrink this down to one device.

It would be used for internet browsing, Netflix, some light word processing, maybe a few spreadsheets (Google docs mostly). I have a desktop for anything more complicated.

I like the x1 tablet, but is on the expensive end, pixel c might work, but is on the expensive end as well. Maybe a Thinkpad 10 or an IdeaPad (Miix 310?)

Any speculation if there will be a surface 4/5 non pro?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I'm looking for a replacement to my 2011 laptop. I'll hoping for something that I might be able to use as both a tablet and laptop. Uses would be internet browsing, watching occasional tv in bed, and playing older games like Baldurs Gate, etc.

I'd be looking for portability as one of the main factors

Yoga? Spectre? Surface? What's good these days?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Any recommended laptop for light internet browsing, office suite, and "viewing pdfs", 600-700 range, unless there is something that is a bit cheaper but has a solid build. From what I understand even lower specked laptops run pretty fast now?

Prefer a 14" or so screen and 1080

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Can Chromebook actually run office suite?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Are refurbished ThinkPads from the Lenovo Outlet store still a good option for a good build quality laptop for general use? Looking at a T14 Gen 2. for around $550