Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Would something like this work for someone who is just doing some mild gaming? Mainly just play Civilization, Football Manager, maybe some other less intensive games on it. Not looking to play Witcher 3 on the best settings or anything.

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-VN7-591G-70RT-15-6-Inch-Gaming/dp/B00WJSQRNK/

Would this be overkill?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The Iron Rose posted:

That's be perfectly appropriate for mild gaming. Grab a $100 250 gig Samsung 850 EVO and install it aftermarket and you're set. Or a $170 500 gig EVO and be really really set.

For Witcher 3 a 960 will be fine, but you'd really want a 965 to play at more than 1080p@30 on low-medium.

Thanks, my biggest problem with it is some sketchy reviews. I also really hate those style of touchpads (supposedly a lot of people are having issues with them as well). And as lame as it sounds, those ultra-thin laptops make me nervous when I have to swap out a hard drive or some RAM. Pretty sure you have to go under the keyboard directly to access anything. Just hate doing that on a brand new laptop

The other I've liked is this.

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-GE60-Pro-867-15-6-Inch-Aluminum/dp/B00TI6TFHQ/

Seems a little more durable and the reviews are much better. But the specs seem a little lower and it's $100 more. Will there be a huge difference performance wise between the two? I'm still mainly just using it for work and playing some low end games like Civilization that I don't want to come to a crawl at the end of games.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The Iron Rose posted:

The original laptop you linked is cheaper and has better specs so i don't see why you'd spend more for (slightly) less. Durability is important yeah but so long as you treat your laptop right and don't throw it everywhere you ought to be fine, really.

Swapping parts in ultra-think laptops can be a pain in the rear end but there's usually youtube videos for just about every model out there.

The reviews just scare me. Seems like a ton of people have issues with the trackpad and Wifi. Also not a huge fan of the ultra-thin laptops but the value seems too good to pass up.

I'm just overthinking it.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I ended up going with the MSI Apache GE62 from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/MSI-GE62-APACHE-002-15-6-Inch-Gaming/dp/B00RVUMRKS/). It's listed at $1149 but it went down to $999 for like 2 days and I jumped on it. I had been looking hard at the Acer Aspire V15 but ultimately this had slightly better specs and also actual mouse buttons under the trackpad. I really hate not having buttons.

So far it's been amazing. Installed a 250gb SSD and am using the HDD as storage for pictures, videos, and other stuff I don't access much but want to hang on to.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

manchego posted:

So I'm in basically the same boat as Niwrad, but I'll go through the motions below.

Country of purchase: USA
Budget range: <$1200 USD
Purpose (netbook, ultraportable, mainstream, gaming, desktop replacement, etc.): Gaming and mainstream
Screen size preference: 15.6"
OS preference (Windows/Mac/Linux): Windows
Gaming requirements (example games and desired fps/settings): I would like to be able to run World of Warcraft at Ultra (max) settings for the next 2 years.
Other performance requirements (video editing, CAD, etc.): At most I'd be using this to do some "intro to programming" tasks and other mainstream activities like watching movies and browsing.
Brand preferences and reasons (already owned accessories, familiarity, business compatibility): I would prefer NOT to buy a Lenovo.

Other laptops I'm looking at

List any features that are critical: A solid state drive, and the ability to play World of Warcraft at the highest possible settings for the next 2 years. Also, I have to be able to buy this laptop through Newegg (gift card).

This is very much a luxury item that I can spend some disposable income on and I really only want it to do one thing really well: play World of Warcraft at high settings. I don't even need it to be able to do that in a demanding raid environment, I just want to be able to enjoy my casual questing and soak up the in-game world. I may be exhibiting a bit of ignorance by not wanting to buy Lenovo, but the whole Superfish fiasco was enough to put me off the brand. I already have a desktop, and I'm not looking to replace it. I just want to be able to play with my pretty pixels at the kitchen table or when I travel.

The GS60 has slightly worse specs where I think it matters (GPU, processor) than the GE62 but costs $250 more. It does have a 128gb SSD, but you can put in a 250gb SSD on the GE62 for just over $100. It also has 16gb RAM but you're unlikely going to need more than 8 and if you do, it's a fairly cheap and easy upgrade to make. You're basically paying $130 more for it to be a little slimmer and lighter. I'd personally go with the GE62 over it and buy a 250gb SSD.

My only minor gripe with the GE62 is that they use this brushed texture for the trackpad. I don't know how to explain it but it's not as smooth as your normal trackpad. It's something I'll probably get used to but kind of a weird decision on their part. If you're plugging in a mouse to play games and stuff though, it doesn't matter. On the other hand, it's the nicest keyboard I've ever used on a laptop although I hate the location of the windows key (this can be changed though).

The ASUS looks nice although the processor and GPU seem a little less than the GE62. You're getting an SSD but I prefer a 250gb over 128gb so I think I'd rather take the GE62 and put one in.

In regards to display, I have to punt on that. Don't know much about that.

Niwrad fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jun 16, 2015

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Hadlock posted:

8gb is going to vary from person to person, but in general you get better performance as the OS will smart cache the things you use the most in RAM which does incredible things for perceived performance. It's slightly less important with an SSD but RAM is still way faster than disk. Also, with 8gb RAM, you never have to worry about closing any program, ever. You will run out of start bar long before you do memory. Even when playing games. It's a very nice luxury you'll use every day.

Are you saying 8gb is enough or that people should go for 16gb if it's available? I was under the impression that you'd rarely if ever use more than 8gb. I went with 8gb and figured it's a $50 upgrade if I ever feel the need for it.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

manchego posted:

Thanks for this. Can the SSD be installed after the fact or do I need to order the laptop preconfigured?

Are you liking the display on your GE62?

Yes, it can be installed after the fact. It was fairly easy and I'm not someone with much experience tinkering with laptops. They have a helpful video on YouTube for how to move Windows over to the SSD and even put the recovery stuff on the old HDD so it's not wasting SSD space. Just skip the RAID parts as I'm guessing you aren't going to be doing that. Their software (BurnRecovery) is surprisingly easy to use.

As for the display, I think it's great. The specs from MSI don't say it's IPS but most of the reviews do. Great viewing angles and better than anything I've ever used.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Are cooling pads garbage? Seems like some people swear by them and others call it snake oil. Doesn't seem like they'd offer much help outside of the fact it elevates the back an inch or two for better air flow. My laptop is on all day and while it doesn't get crazy hot, if it helps a bit, I would be down for purchasing.

Also a thank you to The Iron Rose for the recommendation of the Samsung 850 EVO SSD. I don't know how I lived without an SSD before. I can never go back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Anyone have experience with 2-in-1's? Was looking at the HP Envy x360. Mainly for general use but wouldn't mind being able to throw on a few low intensity games (Civilization, Fall Guys for instance). Don't need super high end graphics or anything. From what I'm reading, the Ryzen integrated graphics is pretty good? Does this seem like a nice deal?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-env...p?skuId=6403441

Figure I'll upgrade the RAM on my own.

Basically just trying to find a 2-in-1 that I can play some games on.