Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

So my Y410p arrived a few hours ago. In that time I've replaced the HDD with an SSD, slapped the HDD into the ultrabay slot, freshly installed windows 8 on the SSD, and installed a bunch of stuff. A lot of people in the thread have asked for guides on doing this kind of thing with the Y410p/Y510p, so here it is:

Great post! I've got a Y410p on its way, and this answers all the questions I had about putting an SSD into it.

It took a 2-month business trip to make me realize I needed more than my 13" 2009 Macbook Pro could provide, so I'm looking forward to being able to play newer games and watch HD video more smoothly without having a gross-looking, heavy gaming laptop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

DNova posted:

I hope the label on the drive is just black text on white, "HARD DRIVE"

An SD card surrounded by metal weights.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Have y410ps been shipping lately? My order status is still on "Estimated shipping date 9/30" and I'm starting to think about what I'll have to do when I go on a 2-week trip on 14 Oct.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

C'mon Lenovo, quit adjusting my shipping estimate one day further in the future every day.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Gray Matter posted:

Oct 9 I believe the sale ends

Doesn't Lenovo just run another sale on the tail end? I compared the B&N sale to the military discount I got and the difference was $20.

After moving my shipping estimate back every day to the following day Lenovo told me the thing was "Released to manufacturing" and then the day after that it had been shipped from South Carolina. Ooookay.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Are there any resources for helping me calibrate the screen on my y410p? I don't need to do it for any professional applications, but if somebody could share some settings or an icc profile I'd appreciate it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

You don't know hot laptops until you've tried to run games on a unibody Macbook. That thing nearly burnt my dick to a crisp.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Socrates16 posted:

Here's my review after a day with the y510P.

1. The display

The most important factor for me in choosing a laptop. In the sad state that is the modern day laptop screen, I'd say this is an above average display for a 1080P laptop. After calibration, there is some pretty good pop to the screen and everything is vibrant and colorful for the most part. Sadly, it really lacks compared to the IPS displays I've dealt with recently in terms of resolution. I think this is mostly an issue of me dealing with IPS displays on smaller devices, and thus being spoiled by the condensed pixels. Also, a lot of the issue has to do with content: many webvideos are still shot in 720P, so it's not always the case I actually get to use the 1080P display to its fullest.

Could you share your calibration settings?

And yeah, the display on my y410p is, at best, disappointing. I'm getting used to it, though, and I know I was spoiled by my Macbook Pro that I had for 4 years.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Is there any way to get a replacement ultra bay cover for the y410p? I broke off one of the plastic tabs when trying to pry it off the DVD drive so now it sits a little funny on the hard drive I replaced it with.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

The nice thing is that you won't have to enter the license/serial number at all, Windows 8 will pull it directly from the BIOS settings, so all you need to do is start the installer. The not so nice thing is that it's easy to get the wrong ISO, in which case your key won't work. I'm not sure whether talking about which file is the right ISO is :filez: or not

I swear someone posted a way to get the official Windows 8 ISO from Microsoft in this thread. That's what I used to do a clean install on my y410p, no :filez: necessary.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Intel finally accomplished the impossible and made a decent integrated GPU with their 4th gen processors.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

DNova posted:

I looked it up, and you can check your laptop with the battery. No loose lithium ion batteries are allowed in checked baggage.

Every time I've done this (at least 6 times) the TSA has riffled through my checked bag and left a love note inside.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

I game on my Y410p (which is just the Y510p but 14" instead of 15.6") all the time, everything runs really well with just one GPU. In fact, lots of people coming into this thread have purchased either the Y410p or Y510p and walked away happy. They're great laptops and provide extremely good value without SLI.

I've had my Y410p for a couple months now and I'm very happy with it. The screen has some pretty awful view angle issues but the laptop is solid, doesn't look stupid, and let me play BF4 during a 5-week trip.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Anybody have experience installing this wifi chip on a y410p?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106165

I'd like to know if I have to flash the bios to get it to work. It's on the Lenovo Y410p replacement parts list, though.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

P.N.T.M. posted:

I've heard that a max of 80% depleting to lowest of 40% saves the most cycles and extends the life of the battery by quite a bit. Its a pain in the rear end to keep up that routine, but I imagine doing it some times will help in the long run too.

I know my Lenovo Y410p does that by keeping the battery between 40% and 60% if you turn on the extend battery life setting. My laptop has been constantly plugged in since I got it in October, there's no way am I going to manually manage my battery like people suggest.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Zwick posted:

I recently bought a y510p with the nice WLAN card and I have to say I love the thing. I haven't bought a laptop in a long time and this video card spews the hottest air ever. Putting the laptop on your lap is absolutely fine, almost no heat issues. I feel a definite increase of heat on my WASD fingers and above the trackpad, I'm just a little sad because I expected much more "umph" out of this thing. Games like WoW do not run well on ultra, I might get like ~30 fps in crowded cities... I recently got the alpha of EQ Next Landmark and I have to run this on low (i know it's an alpha and the GFX may not be perfectly suited for every system, but I expected more).

I think the large issue with gaming nowadays is the videos cards require lots of power, and the laptops cant supply that quantity without sacrificing comfort/safety. Does anyone know if anyone makes anything like the old dell XPS desktop replacements? I'm absolutely fine with a 15 lb laptop as long as I can take it on a plane with me!

Yeah I was a little disappointed with the performance on my y410p but when it comes down to it you're just really not going to get anything better without resorting to some behemoth Alienware.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Was all set to buy an XPS 13 but ended up getting a Thinkpad Yoga 14 with the Geforce 940m when I saw it at Best Buy for roughly half the price. I'm pretty impressed with it so far!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Touched an XPS 15 and 13 2-in-1 today at Best Buy. Is the XPS 15 really supposed to be Dell's premier laptop? It both looks and feels poor, with the XPS 13's ultrabook design padded out a couple inches with an added feeling of flex and cheapness. The XPS 13 2-in-1 seemed very impressive, though.

I'm having a hard time figuring out which way I want to go with my new laptop. Ultrabooks have a poo poo-ton of performance compromises for the sake of their form factor, but larger laptops still seem to suffer from cheap build quality. Even Microsoft's ~$3,000 Surface Book feels rotten compared to an Apple.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I really liked the build of the Lenovo Yoga 14 I had, but issues with the screen and the anemic performance of the 940m led me to return it. The Razer Blade seems like exactly what I'm looking for, but Razer's reputation has me extremely skeptical.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It's not hard to install but Windows on a MacBook is a pretty lovely experience in terms of battery life, fan noise and trackpad support. Not anything I'd expect an Old to notice, though, I guess. Can't you get a decent 15" Dell/Thinkpad laptop and hook it up to a monitor for her?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm not willing to do everything in a web browser

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

FuzzySlippers posted:

Anyone notice a difference in Chrome on laptops? My laptop and desktop run about everything the same even far more intensive programs like Visual Studio, Unity, Photoshop, etc but Chrome runs like butt on the laptop. It pauses and hitches a lot while scrolling or loading new pages. The rest of the computer is fine but Chrome becomes unresponsive. Firefox and Edge are fine. I guess I can switch to one of them but it feels weird as I've been using Chrome only for ages.

I had this happen when using Chrome on a laptop with an unreliable and slow wireless connection. Chrome would freeze up entirely when loading a new page.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cao Ni Ma posted:

What the gently caress amazon, I bought this laptop and a day later you shed 50 bucks from it

Just ask their support about their price protection policy

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Just bought a new XPS 15 and it has a very obvious magenta tint on the left side and green tint on the right side of the screen. Fingers crossed I can exchange it for a good one.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I can't decide if I'm ok with the ghosting on my XPS 15 4k display or not

Cbear posted:

Is the XPS 15 a good option for a higher end gaming/do-everything laptop?

I want something that will handle most games out right now and I'll be futureproofed for a few years as well.

Also, I want to use it for general use.

My budget is around 1800.

The XPS 15 is nowhere near a high end gaming laptop. The GTX 1050 in it is acceptable for playing current games at low-medium details at 1080p/60fps.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

Haha those weigh over 8 pounds.

My local Microcenter recently put a laptop on display that cost ~$6,000 and had to weigh over 20 lbs. It had some weird tumor hanging off the back which is where they put the dual 1080s, I guess.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

oh my god

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Updating to Windows 10 Creators Edition through the Insider Preview program fixed the track pad issues I was having on the XPS 15, most notably the cursor rubber banding back to the original position when trying to make small movements. This probably applies to other laptops using Microsoft Precision Touch as well.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It's good that all the travel to areas with different gravitational and magnetic forces didn't negatively impact your laptop. Lenovo FTW

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I can't imagine paying that much for a 1050 (not even ti) laptop. Even if it's touchscreen... Is that actually a good deal?

The competition in that price range/form factor tend not to have dedicated GPUs at all.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

bigmandan posted:

Is the XPS 15 adapter very different from the XPS 13 adapter? I find the one for the XPS 13 rolls up just fine:

Where'd you put the other power cord

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

sincx posted:

I just bought a XPS 15 9560 with the 4K screen.

The display and the machine are gorgeous. Unfortunately my unit has the seemingly common coil whine problem, which no one seems to have been able to fix despite motherboard swaps and such.

I wonder if there actually are XPS 9560s without coil whine, or if they all have it, but only some people notice it.

In any case, does the old trick of glue/nail polish around the power components still work for getting rid of coil whine?

It seems pretty apparent that it's a design flaw and anybody claiming that they have a 9560 without it probably just doesn't notice it when it happens, if they're even pushing the laptop hard enough to trigger it. It's only noticeable to me when I play demanding games.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

SinineSiil posted:

What's also crappy is seeing people argue that it doesn't happen because devices are smart enough about managing battery.

Well it doesn't happen with the ones that are

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Why don't you just get a nice laptop you'll like instead of a cheap lovely laptop you won't

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Apr 12, 2017

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

dissss posted:

Nope, it's just that those (non hardware) issues are inherent to the Windows OS so aren't going to get a mention in any particular review. On the hardware side the SP4 is slightly thinner and runs a lot cooler (which is the other SP3 problem I didn't even mention) but is otherwise more of the same, it's still awkwardly large as a tablet and že kickstand is still a desk only affair.

Sure they can do more, where they fall down is doing the basics that the poster I quoted mentioned.

Long wakes are inherent to Windows? My XPS 15 wakes up from hibernation about as fast as my Macbook Pro did from sleep.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

anothergod posted:

I had an X230 and ran w/ 1366x768 for a while. Hadlock, didn't you do the same?

Sounds pretty lovely

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Does anybody know what's going on with this 2014 X1 Carbon? There's a coating on it that's starting to degrade heavily in the palm rest area. I bought it refurbished at Microcenter and I'm wondering if the refurbisher or previous owner applied something to the surface or if this is a manufacturing defect.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Macasaurus posted:

i bought a used item and it looks like its been worn out

anyone else experiencing this?

I think that's a fair expectation for used items but not refurbished ones, especially ones that didn't look like this on the purchase date and have seen minimal use.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ok. I was just curious if this was a known issue; I'm not used to my laptops wearing this way if that is what's happening. It has a warranty from the refurbisher and also from the manufacturer so I'll bark up one of those trees for a repair.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

I wonder how statistically valid your perspective is though, it's one of the few very popular mainstream pc laptops sold under the same name in several generations, and people seldom post about things working well. Otoh there is afaik no way to find out in an objective way.

The driver issues and the fact that many XPS 15s ship with terrible Killer Network cards and underpowered SSDs aren't really up for contention. You can't really say how prevalent the QC issues are without stats, but they seem common enough not to warrant speculation that the people with them are unicorns.

My XPS 15 has finally received enough driver and bios updates not to blue screen constantly so I'm happy with it. I wish the screen didn't ghost so much but I'm largely used to that now, too. Replacing the network card with a decent intel one only cost $30 and it's much better. I hear if you hassle Dell support about it enough they'll send you one and I've also heard rumors of free power supply replacements to reduce some of the coil whine.