Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

quote:

Lenovo Z510 Models

Processor:4th Generation Intel Core i5-4200M Processor (3.10 GHz 400 MHz 3 MB)

Operating System:Windows 8 64

Graphics:Intel® HD Graphics 4600

Memory:8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz

Display:15.6" FHD LED AntiGlare with integrated camera (1920x1080)

Pointing Device:Multi-finger one-piece TouchPad without buttons

Hard Drive:1TB 5400 RPM

Optical Drive:DVD Recordable (Dual Layer)

Battery:4 Cell 48 Watt Hour Lithium-Ion

Network Card:Lenovo BGN Wireless

Bluetooth:Bluetooth Version 4.0

Warranty:One year

What concerns should I have with this build at a $620 price point?

Started by looking for a simple Windows Laptop because I like to fuss around with software so I wanted the compatibility. Trying to keep budget near 600 if at all possible. This seems like its overshooting what I was looking for, except I'd prefer a SSD (which I believe I can install as a replacement?). I just don't know a lot about laptops because I basically get a crash course every 4 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Hadlock posted:

1080p screen for under $700 is a pretty solid deal, you will be trading screen for overall build quality

I would look at getting the upgraded wireless - it's worth it. Especially if you aren't planning to plug an Ethernet cord in to it very often. What good is a laptop if it can't get a (good) signal on the couch??

You can always upgrade the hard drive, or when you realize you never use the optical drive, swap in a SSD drive (and swap the rotational drive to the optical bay)

I'm not sure if I saw it offered. Which kind do you recommend? I'm on a Fios connection and currently I max it out on a 15/5 with just my n card.

A review I read says I basically have to take the whole thing apart to do anything. Everything is under the keyboard. Id drop the optical for a SSD in a heartbeat once I read up how to do it though. I already know I never use the optical, evidence being my last Lenovo optical doing nothing for years.

And yeah based off of what I've read here the 1080p with that CPU and even that integrated card are usually found in 1k+ machines that I have so little excitement paying for. I have no experience doing anything but the most basic upgrades, so I'm a little concerned about having to take the entire thing apart to upgrade or fix anything. But in that same mentality I've shifted towards valuing resolution and CPU because since I don't care about a GPU at all, I can upgrade RAM later generally or pop in a SSD once I'm ready.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Hadlock posted:

Intel Advanced or preferably Intel Ultimate with the 2x2 or 3x3 antennas, respectively. I get a solid 130mbps connection (about 7MB/s in explorer) anywhere in the house, and I have thick walls.

Better Wi-F means browsing the web on the back patio while grilling steaks, listening to Pandora while working in the garden or whatever. Wi-Fi everywhere opens up a lot of options, is what I'm saying.

You'll be pleasantly surprised with how powerful the HD4400 is as a built in GPU. Intel opened a whole new chapter.

Tiny apartment currently. But I'll remember that when it's time to move up.

Thanks for the responses. It helped a ton, but I think I'm going to sit on my budget a bit because I felt somewhat bummed about how much I'm getting for such a high price right now with the laptop market. It feels like the start of a big push in a direction I'm interested in but I think the next round of devices (or heavy discounts on the current round of laptops I want that are far out of budget) looks like a better nexus point for me.

This thread is very good though. Really appreciate the discussion here. Without reading through here I'd have spent a lot of money on something that didn't make me happy or otherwise became outdated incredibly fast, like my last laptop purchase.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

If you're a student you can get 4 years of Office 365 on two computers/devices at a time for 80 bucks.

Outside of that I'm not a fan of Office 365 just yet. I think the idea has promise but they need to get way more a la cart before I could consider it unless I had kids or something. No one using Office for a home computer needs Outlook or Access.

That said I really prefer Excel to other cheaper/free alternatives I've seen. If you're just typing who cares?

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Thoren posted:

I'll probably use it mostly for writing but I'd still like a functional laptop.

I'm not really sold on the whole chromebook concept yet. I mean, 16GB of space? That's so minimal.

Expansion slots too, and really I used Google Drive to transfer a lot of files to a new PC and I'm very surprised how easy it works.