Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
The Barnes & Noble Gold link now has a somewhat limited selection, with only ThinkPad 440/540 models being listed. The T540 in particular seemed crappy based on reviews, which blasted its track pad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

My trusty T530 seems to be on its way out after four years of hard use and going around the world. After putting in vague search terms for some kind of T-series and getting 200 results, I've decided to trust my major purchasing decisions to strangers on the internet.

Use: Minimal gaming (I guess I played Civ 5 and Pillars of Eternity on low settings a couple times level), no graphic design or rendering, just shitposting and anime

Wants: SSD, 15" screen, another ThinkPad of some variety. HDMI port would be a plus, lighter is a plus, durable and has a CD/DVD drive are musts.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

This ticks pretty much everything I need, my only turn-off is the 256GB SSD. So, I checked out something similar, and it looks like getting the 500GB SSD pushes you up to a higher overall weight class. I'm willing to plop down the extra money for it, as long as there aren't any big red flags here: bad resolution, known poor product quality, better deal from another product line, etc.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Atomizer posted:

That other laptop you found is a worse version (WXGA instead of FHD display and the other things mystes noted) of the one I recommended, and as I just mentioned in the post you quoted, you can upgrade the storage yourself via m.2/NGFF and/or a 2.5" bay:

If the included 256 GB SSD isn't enough, you can very easily replace it yourself (and potentially resell the original for like $60-80 if you have nothing else to do with it) or just add whatever you want in that 2.5" bay, although it looks like for Acer laptops that don't come with that bay occupied, you have to request the mounting hardware.

Sorry, that whole part went straight up and over my head, but I think I've got it this time. I've become such a Luddite as of late.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

I look out my window and see a wilting nation, sleepwalking into fascism as the rising waters slowly encroach upon its shores. For a moment, the desire to act, to advocate, to attempt to drive against the tide grips me - then no more. With a sigh, I sit back down and try to load Hearts of Iron 4 again. It doesn't work. My laptop is too underpowered for this simple pleasure.

I give in. I choose to waste my days on these stupid Paradox games. Please help enable me, thread.

Build Quality (I need this thing to last when I throw it around in my backpack) > Screen Size (15") > Power (Elden Ring on minimum settings would be more than enough) > Portability > Price.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Lockback posted:

I know you put price last but I am a born cheapass. There are more expensive options if money is really not a deal. Let me know.

This ROG G15 with a 6800M and 16GB of ram is probably what you want for $1100:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/195333917759
or on BB's site
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...p?skuId=6486485
(Same thing, same price)

This is a sale right now so it'll be gone at midnight. These are very solid, reasonably portable. You can probably run HoI4 with the APU and not use the GPU at all when running on battery which would give you a real long playtime. 68000M is a bit faster than a 3060 but no RTX, which is kinda wasted on a laptop and it doesn't sound like you'd be using it anyway. So the 6800M is probably a great fit. It's overkill on graphics, but where the market is now the pricing is not much more up to a 3060/6800M so may as well go with that.

If this doesn't grab you, the Legion series is probably what you want, I bet similar deals will be there in the next couple weeks (maybe tomorrow).

This is probably exactly what I'm looking for, but I've had to delay buying for a couple of weeks. I'll report back.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Posted a while back, wound up with a good deal on a ROG* Zephyrus from last year. It can manage current games on very high settings, but like some people had posted, it runs hot. When it's at full speed, I periodically lose wifi connection - some people I talked to suggested this could be because the heat is disrupting the antenna. Anyone else encounter this?

*I did not realize that meant Republic of Gamers (:pcgaming:) and cringed hard when I booted it

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Lockback posted:

G14 or G15 Zeph?

I don't see this on my G14. Though you may want to look at some of the power settings for the wifi. I find it hard to believe temps would interfere that much with a wifi antenna.

I think it's a G15?

I like where your head is at, it makes much more sense that the device is trading out wifi when drawing peak graphics. I can't seem to alter that setting, though - Google says it existed in some builds of Windows 10, but there's no option for it in Power & Sleep. I saw some command line prompts but that seems like a lot to me. Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Lockback posted:

Is it in Device Manager?

Does not seem so. I think it is the power - I cranked the graphics up to high and the wifi went out within 2 mintues.