Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
My mom is looking for a laptop, and doesn't like my idea of a t430. She visits her sisters a lot and wants to do lots of typing, but also watch movies on it and wants a 20" screen with 1080p, which I don't think even exists. How do I talk her into a Lenovo instead, or is the a brand I'm unaware of that would work for this? Budget of 1k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
What about focusing on 17" laptops? My guess is that it's almost impossible to see a difference in resolution from 1920x1080 to the 1366x whatever at such a small screen, even up close.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Thanks. I reread the OP in a more thorough manner and follow you now. If the 430s screen is subpar, what ThinkPad is recommended for heavy movie watching and typing?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Cream_Filling posted:

The 430 is fine. If not, then the top 1080p screen in the T530 is probably one of the best affordable TN screens available.

That's the one I'm looking at. I'm a bit leery of going TN instead of IPS based on the advice in the OP, though.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Those displays are a month away at least, though, right?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Hadlock posted:

For $2000 aus I will fly from the united states to your house and deliver this to your door, and I'll come out about even on the airfare. Let me know when you want this delivered. Seriously. I've always wanted to go to Australia. Same goes for anyone in Europe where the price difference is $600+

My sister flew from Melbourne to Chicago and back, and while in Chicago picked up a ThinkPad I'd ordered for her. Her plane ticket plus American ThinkPad cost less than what she would have paid to buy the same thing in AU. It's insane.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
This is getting into forecasting the future territory with respect to the W & T440/540 lines, but is there any indication those laptops will be Windows 8 only?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Is there any indication of a 540? Or is Lenovo abandoning that screen size.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
What's the word on the t540? I haven't seen anything much about it and doubt my mom would care a lot about the trackpoint changes.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Cream_Filling posted:

When does she need it by? I'd consider the T530 with upgraded screen too, since it's cheap, a known factor, and has decent colors. Or, if you're concerned about portability, something with a smaller screen and use a supplemental monitor for real work, since even a fairly cheap desktop display will blow most laptops out of the water and can last you for several upgrades.

Still no word on the T540 right? My mom wants a 15" thinkpad and I'm feeling like waiting on the 540 is fruitless.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
edit: Nm, misread the Lenovo website. To confirm, with the 540p the middle range display is IPS and 1080p? That's perfect for my mom's needs. The only questions are whether to drop $50 on the i3 to i5 upgrade, as well as if the wifi upgrade is worth it like it was on the 530.

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Nov 21, 2013

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Quick SSD question: my girlfriend's Dell has a 500gb seagate, plus a 32gb liteon SSD showing up in device manager. But there's only one partition that I see in windows explorer - c:/ , with 500 gig (well, 457). I've never set up a SSD+regular hard drive, is this right? To me it looks like Dell sold her the 32gb ssd and then never put windows 8 on it.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

dissss posted:

Its meant as a cache for the main drive - you don't control what goes on it but it should cache frequently accessed files transparently.

Why not have the os and common programs (firefox, office) run off that partition?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

DNova posted:

In theory, they will, by virtue of being placed there by whatever algorithm decides what goes where.

Ok good. Glad I worried about nothing.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I was deliberating about the T540/530 choice for my mom, but with minimal upgrades to both (extended battery, 1920x1080 screen, and best wifi), the t530 actually costs more right now. Not much of a choice at that point.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
The T540p I ordered a week ago is expected to be delivered Wednesday, and I need to order the SSD/4gb ram upgrade for it. Based on this thread, these are the two items I want, correct?
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Elect...-2&keywords=ssd Samsung 840 EVO 120gb
and
http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=8B356269A5CA7304 4gb, ddr3 1.35v

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Wilford Cutlery posted:

If you can afford a 240GB SSD, go for that instead. Bigger SSD means more memory channels in use, which is supposed to be a good thing.

Can't and its a machine for my mom. I have a 120 on my pc and don't come close to filling it so I highly doubt she can. That's the right brand/model though right?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
In opposite shipping news, it took 10 days from ordering to delivering a 540p to rural Illinois.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm going to be working on my mom's 540p christmas day, taking out the hard drive and putting in a SSD. She demanded having windows 7 on it, despite it costing $50 more, so is there anything I need to know? I did this a few years ago for my sister and recall just burning a dvd, but I can't remember if I need to buy a dual layer dvd or not. Will a single layer do the trick? I'd rather just do that instead of a fresh windows 7 install (which would be a pain as well, as I'd need to get a legitimate iso) because I'm worried about random driver issues down the road and don't want to have to remotely diagnose them.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Just get yourself an 8GB flash drive and follow the instructions here to use the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download tool. It will copy the contents of the downloaded ISO (or the DVD if you have it) and make a bootable flash drive that will install Windows for you.

Hm, ok. I've used this before as well. I'm a bit worried about drivers though, as well as making sure I get the right ISO.

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 24, 2013

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
edit: nevermind, latest driver solved it

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jan 22, 2014

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
friend is looking for a new gaming laptop around $2k, likely with 1070. what about gsync vs 4k etc to consider?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I just picked up the Ryzen version of that HP Envy with a few lower specs for less than $500. Mine comes with 8GB of RAM but it looks pretty easy to upgrade, and if I really need more than a 256GB SSD in it then that seems replaceable, too. I figure I'll see how it feels with the lower RAM amount before committing to the upgrade, although knowing me I might pre-emptively order more RAM because I like having an excess (my desktop has 32GB).

Is this the one you got? My wife has been limping along on a decade old laptop forever and needs to do work zoom calls next week, and would need to plug in an external mic to do so which is a problem since she uses the laptop while moving around 5 different rooms constantly. Nothing more taxing than zoom + office + web browser all at once

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-env...8&skuId=6502184

Any reason not to just grab this for $499+tax?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Yeah, that's the one. It's supposed to be delivered tomorrow so I'll have a better idea then, but just going from the specs the machine should have absolutely no problem doing the Zoom/Office/browser combo.

Great. Its a big hit, I actually like the touchscreen part of it since I hate trackpads. Seems like 2 in 1s have come a long way since I last looked at one

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

mastershakeman posted:

Is this the one you got? My wife has been limping along on a decade old laptop forever and needs to do work zoom calls next week, and would need to plug in an external mic to do so which is a problem since she uses the laptop while moving around 5 different rooms constantly. Nothing more taxing than zoom + office + web browser all at once

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-env...8&skuId=6502184

Any reason not to just grab this for $499+tax?

this thing already died on us, took it to BB for service, shipped to HP, and in 5 days they gave up and refunded me in the most useless way possible: store credit

I'm pretty disappointed - any other recommendations for comparable laptops at BB? got a whole bunch of 'sorry the computer won't let me refund it to your credit card' crap. it looks like a 'pavilion 360' there is 570 and the envy 360 is 850, which is tough . what about this one?
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo...p?skuId=6502662

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 16, 2023

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Can I ask how it died/what went wrong with it? I have that exact model from Best Buy, too, and the only real problem I've run into was a memory stick getting loose, which was probably at least partly my own fault since I had upgraded the RAM myself after purchase.

Black screen, 5 long 3 short blinks on capslock, all white. cmos reset didn't fix it. I really liked it for a $500 laptop. Being able to just touch a setting over my wife's shoulder was a game changer

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Lockback posted:

But a good touchscreen laptop needs a very good hinge, ideally one that goes 180 degrees... :thunk:

I'm checking best buy every week in hope they put their cheap HP back on sale like it was last summer. Don't really need faster processor, or more hard drive space or anything, I just want the 15.6" 2 in 1 for sub 600.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Thoughts on the flex 5
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo...p?skuId=6502662

vs

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-env...p?skuId=6502181

envy with intel ? The prior envy we had was the $800 amd knocked down to $500.

Both seem pretty bare bones, any reason that HP one is so much more expensive (albeit marked down by 1/3 now)?