Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

IuniusBrutus posted:

So my local Microcenter has T460s' in stock with the following specs:

i5-6200u
256GB SSD
8GB RAM
1920x1080 IPS display
Win10 Pro

They are selling for $849.99. How decent of a deal is this? It will be used for CompSci classes and general use.

That's a good deal on a very boring, but dependable laptop. Enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

meanolmrcloud posted:

My 8 year old MacBook just crapped out, and I’ll probably replace it with that acer e 15, cuz I don’t wanna spend apple money again. How tough is the transition to the PC world?

If everything you do is in a browser, you won't notice any difference.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Nybble posted:

As a programmer, it's been tough. Thankfully Ubuntu on Windows helps to keep a similar work flow and having access to a decent package manager. UoW doesn't have access to GPU, so that's a bit of a pain for machine learning, but with Javascript & GPU ML libraries coming out, that may be moot soon enough.

Why not just run Ubuntu at that point? I've used 14.04 then 16.04 on several laptops without any major issues.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

You're also comparing cpus that come in under $300 laptop to cpus that come in over $800 laptops.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Look at the MacBook too if you're in that price range! The screen is great.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Hadlock posted:

I'd love to see an XPS 15 with a 1050ti or, heaven forbid, 1060. If it came with the 1060, that would absolutely be the laptop to buy for about 85% of people visiting here.

I'm just excited about quad core chips in the XPS 13 form factor. I might grab one of those if the Linux edition follows shortly after this launch.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

240 has the horrible touchpad

Why would you ever use the touchpad on a Thinkpad? It's got the Trackpoint for your cursor controlling needs.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Hadlock posted:

Dual core i5 is hyperthreaded which gives you 4 logical cores, if that's acceptable. Very rarely will you use a true quad core CPU, especially on a laptop

Is this still the guideline now that there's 4C/8T 15W i5s? I'm pretty excited about the XPS 13s picking up hyperthreaded quad cores.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Hadlock posted:

Whoa, 4 core i5 with hyperthreading? I missed that, where did you read that? I thought it was i7 only still. I've been a little preoccupied lately.

That's probably worth finally upgrading my x230 for if true.

Check it out: https://ark.intel.com/products/124967/Intel-Core-i5-8250U-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_40-GHz

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

UglyMrBurns posted:

Looking at getting a refurb x1 carbon with an i7-3667U, 8GB of RAM and a 240GB SSD for just shy of 300 GBP, is that a good deal? Sadly it comes with the touchscreen which I will literally never use but I think the X230/240 screens will be simply too small for me. Am I making a terrible mistake?

I'd really suggest not going further back than Haswell (4xxx CPUs) because of how much power efficiency Haswell brought.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Statutory Ape posted:

With the new intel series coming out, is now kind of a bad time to buy a laptop similar to how buying one with a 900 series DGPU would be right before pascal came out?

If you want multithreaded CPU performance and are buying in the 15W TDP slot (-U chips), then now is a bad time to buy. The XPS 13 doubling its core count overnight is a big deal. Changes on fatter laptops don't look as big.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Good Will Hrunting posted:

What is the smallest (thinnest I mean) laptop I can get with 16gb of RAM with a comparable price to a Macbook Pro? My priorities are decent display + 16gb of RAM but I don't really see anything wow'ing me into buying it as opposed to the next Macbook Pro (assuming nothing glaringly regressive about it) with 16gb of RAM. I'm asking for RAM because IntelliJ + compiling.

If you're after value in ultrabooks, look at the HP Spectre line. They're usually cheaper than comparable Macbooks / Dells, especially at top spec.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Knifegrab posted:

So I need to get a new programming laptop. I have been programming on mac's forever and I really really prefer it. But the new macbook pro's loving suck. gently caress touchbars. gently caress no USB-A ports. And gently caress that pricing. Is there any alternatives on the market or if I like macbook programming, short of buying an older macbook pro, am I screwed?

You can pick up 13" Macbook Airs really cheap now (under $500), and those have USB-A ports, fast SSDs, and an old-style keyboard. They also have completely garbage screens.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

eBay or Craigslist!

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I just took a quick look on tanga.com (found that site via Brad's Deals) and they have a few 13.3" MacBook Airs with 4GB RAM and 128GB SSDs for under $500.

I meant more like the Craigslist ads I see around me for " 13-inch macbook air Storage 512GB SSD Wide Screen Mint Condition - $460 ". That's an i7/8GB/512GB asking $460, $350-500 seems to be market price for 2013+ 8GB Airs.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Seamonster posted:

Isn't the rumor that Apple is putting together a proper refresh of the Air?

They mad because XPS 13s been eatin' their lunch for the last couple of years.

It's going to be the second coming of the iBook. Apple targeting the budget space results in colorful plastic like the iPhone 5c, and terrible old screens.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Don Lapre posted:

They are most likely just MSDN keys but yea

What exactly is the downside? Getting Windows for less than $20 always seemed like it must be license-breaking for at least one party involved in the transaction, but I see it constantly recommended here. I don't get it.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

sofokles posted:

Got feedback from help-desk that I need a more powerful computer in order to get rid of frequent crashes and hangs. I must be Dell.

What's the best Dell laptop for number crunching ?

A Precision 5520 should do the job. If you need much more power than a 35W quad core, then you're going to have to go to a desktop.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

sofokles posted:

That seems like a nice one, cant go desktop, need mobility.

Docking might be an issue though. We've got Dell EURO2 Advanced E-Port II Docking in all our locations. I'd like to be able to plug into those for screens and keyboard/mouse/ethernet, and not to have to carry own docking station around and cable up everytime i change desk. Any ideas ?

If you want a Dell with that docking port, you can't get a powerful computer. The already recommended e7480 is both your best option and only a dual-core vs the 4 cores in the Precision. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

RME posted:

what's entry point price look like for an i5 quad/6 core, SSD, 13 or 15" laptop? Integrated graphics is fine i doubt it will ever even install steam nevermind boot a video game. It's possible a lighter processor would suffice but the SSD is non negotiable as far as im concerned
e: i know thinkpads are popular but my family, who would be using this, has had poor experience with lenovo in the past unforunately

Dell just launched $1,100 6 core / GTX 1060 / 8GB RAM / 256GB SSD laptops, the 6-core chips aren't cool so you won't see them in ultrabooks, and you'll probably usually see them bundled with GPUs: http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/dell-g7-15-gaming-laptop/spd/g-series-15-7588-laptop

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

purkey posted:

He doesn’t have wifi at home :/

You can do word processing on a chromebook offline, but I wouldn't recommend one for usage long-term without internet. I also wouldn't recommend using Windows 10 long term without internet, though!

Is his expectation to write on it, and print on a printer connected by USB?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

NewFatMike posted:

Dell Inspiron 15 7000 with a GTX 1060 going for $850

https://deals.dell.com/productdetail/zwe?prg=1&VEN1=12578053-227502-5a618d1b-23d6-482e-b1e8-e92404048fc5

It's hard not to hit the buy button on that one.

Unless you can actually use the 2 extra cores that the new G15 at $1k or $1100 gets you!

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Jaded Burnout posted:

Hello, I have a question for you. I've read the OP but a year is a long time in hardware.

Long ago I used to run Windows, FreeBSD, Ubuntu, whatever, on Dell laptops. This was when Ubuntu was new and everyone heralded it as the year of linux on the desktop.

Anyway, I got sick of things like fighting with wifi drivers and switched to macs, where I've been ever since.

It's come time to buy a new work laptop and I'm prodding at the idea of a PC laptop with linux in place of the default MacBook Pro. Actually I've been using a 12" MacBook (1.2 GHz Intel Core M, 8GB RAM) for the last 3 years and it's served me well as a superlight, but I need that beef back for the development VMs my clients like to run.

I understand that ThinkPads are the go-to, indeed the devs I've seen with PC/Linux have gone that route, but I've always seen them as bulky and, well, a relic of a different era. One with CD drives.

I'm not looking for a macbook clone necessarily, but is there a high-build-quality machine y'all like that puts a bit more emphasis on portability and usability, e.g. I hear bad things about PC laptop track pads.

Any thoughts? Or am I giving thinkpads a bad go?

I usually go 13" for portability but a 15 isn't out of the question if it's a light one. Budget is around $3000.

Thinkpads aren't really the go-to anymore, and Dell has manufacturer-supported Ubuntu laptops that are built like Macbooks, but even ligther: https://www.dell.com/developers

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

poisonpill posted:

My seven year old MacBook Pro just died overnight. I’m looking at the MacBook Air model which was a hot topic for the last few pages (at the time, on sale for $850). If I’m just looking to replace my personal laptop for office, email, banking and trading, netflix, etc., is there any other similar price point option out there? Would I be better served with a Microsoft Surface, or could I do the same things by dropping down to a $500 laptop?

I'd suggest the only way to get anything appreciably cheaper that is comparably nice from a battery / keyboard / screen perspective would be to go for a premium Chromebook in the $400-600 range, but then you aren't using desktop apps, you're using the web version of stuff.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Lockback posted:

That's ok. The 1650 is kind of a "technically a gaming card, but probably the absolute worst you can be and still be a gaming card" territory. But for $500 I don't think you're going to find anything better.

There was a Dell for $700 that had a 3050ti but it's already gone. If you can bump your budget to $700-$800 I think you can find a 3050ti (and possibly 16GB ram) which would be a better laptop for sure. I'd say it would be "worth the money" but I understand a budget is a budget.

For $1000 and I'd say this is probably 2x better than the Walmart one. Very similar design, probably slightly better build quality.
https://www.newegg.com/p/34-233-449

Once again, the low-end gaming laptop market is kinda messy.

How does a 1650 compare to a GTX 1060? I had a hard time following that part of the market.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Lockback posted:

You need at least a iGPU in the 4000 series. A non chromebook CPU. I'd get 8GB of ram if you can. New your pickings are slim but if this is in stock:
https://www.target.com/p/hp-14--34-...g-/-/A-82459042

Or this is decent and slightly above $300
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/d/asus-vivobook-14-f415ea-ub34-14-laptop/9434h9slmksl

Or one of these refurbs:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Refurbis...Black/819332816

Otherwise troll local used sales. Under $300 means you probably can't target anything.

A step up would be:
https://www.target.com/p/hp-15-6-34...tg/-/A-83710818

Which at 450 is a really good machine

Among these options I'd vote for the Gateway, a Core i3-11 with a 256GB SSD would be a nice minecraft machine.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Where can I find a roundup of current good value Chromebooks? I haven't been paying close attention to the Chromebook market in a while. How is the Pixelbook Go unchanged since 2019? What's the best value now in the ~13" space?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Hadlock posted:

I'm being pedantic, but please suggest 65w or higher power adapters, about 15% of laptops won't charge on a 60w adapter, for whatever stupid reason, usually Dell laptops

This is a weird revelation to me, given that I am a deviant who successfully charges a variety of Macbooks and Chromebooks on an assortment of 5V USB chargers or the Nintendo Switch power supply.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

LifeLynx posted:

Is there a list anywhere? An M1 would be better I guess?

I think they meant "if your group is OK with non-x86 CPUs", because the M2 is a strict upgrade to the M1 in every way. If they're offering you a Mac, then ARM CPUs are OK, and I'd take the Mac out of that lineup. Well, actually, I'd ask for a Macbook Air over that Pro, the 13" Pro has a much worse keyboard and worse battery life than the Air and the Air is cheaper.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

bull3964 posted:

The reason why the 13" pro M2 is the one on offer is the whole reason why that SKU actually exists. It's the corporate fleet model.

And yeah, the question is if all of your software works on an ARM mac.

OK, I'll bite: Why do companies want to spend more money for a worse laptop?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Hadlock posted:

I am aware of no issues with M1/M2 macs having compatibility issues, been using them for a while

I have no idea what that guy is talking about, maybe you could point out some concrete examples in summer of 2022

Building and running x86_64 Docker containers locally on the ARM Macs is slow as poo poo, slower than the same operations would be on the old Intel Macs. When you're running Mac x86 binaries on Mac OS, it's able to use Rosetta 2, which is pretty fast and great. When you're using bhyve to run a Linux VM and running x86 Linux binaries, it's using qemu to emulate x86, which is extremely slow.

To add insult to injury, qemu via Docker out of the box can't run AVX/AVX2 code, and will fail if you try to.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Hadlock posted:

What are you doing cross compiling containers on your personal workstation in 2022

Scientific computing, we're packaging a TON of software that we aren't primary authors / maintainers on so we can run everybody else's analysis tools in our environments. These aren't our applications, it'd be tricky to set up build servers for other people's projects that aren't targeted to run in Docker. It could be done, but theres so much manual work and tweaking that I'm perfectly happy doing it myself, just mildly frustrated at the slow-ness of emulating x86_64 with qemu.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

I have really fond memories of the netbooks I had, from an original eeePC 701 to the Lenovo X120e, with its much faster AMD Bobcat E-350, and am curious about the Surface Laptop SE. How bad is it really? It has universally poor reviews, but also the price is right ($250) and I want a tough, baggable computer in that form factor, with a decent keyboard.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Aug 19, 2022

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

DrDork posted:

When they pop out a Chromebook with a GPU that isn't as laughable as anything starting with "Intel HD Graphics" then we can talk.

(Though I keep slowly cycling through Chromebooks for couch-computers because they're pretty drat great for that)

That'd snowball into an entirely different kind of computer very quickly if you wanted to play games on a Chromebook, given that even nice Chromebooks ship with 64-128GB of disk and a single game is 70+GB now.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

abelwingnut posted:

gotcha--thanks.

how do the new lenovos compare to the dells? all of the 'best windows laptops' articles seem to favor the dell. is that this thread's opinion as well?

Dell Latitudes are fine, and that's the price range of the nice ones.

I'm surprised that they didn't tell you which brand, one of the nicest things about Dell is the expensive corporate support, but if they're telling you to pick your brand... you aren't getting that support.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Apple said that they fixed the keyboard, but my M1 Air still had a single speck of dust render the tab key non-functional.

My wife had a 2016 MBP, it had 3 complete replacements under the keyboard warranty, and one under the screen failure extended service program: https://support.apple.com/13-inch-macbook-pro-display-backlight-service. My own 2018 Macbook Pro had 3 entirely non-functional keys on the keyboard by the time I returned it to work. I only used it with external keyboards because I didn't want to put up with having it away for service for a while.

The difference between Windows laptop shortcomings and Apple laptop shortcomings is that every Dell and Lenovo model is a special snowflake that is broken in a different way, while every Mac is broken in the same way and Apple will replace half your computer for free annually.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

nerox posted:

Is there someone out there making large display laptops with no concern of them being ultra portable for gaming? It's kind of a niche use case for a laptop.

Dell heard you and is making your dream machine.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Alienware-s-18-inch-gaming-laptops-to-return-in-2023.672879.0.html

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

How big are the power bricks for these i9-13950HX / 4090 laptops? I see that the 13950HX is rated at 157W turbo power by itself, and you're powering a big GPU on top of that?

Do 400+W laptop power supplies exist? How big are they? Do they have fans?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

m.hache posted:

I'm trying to make heads or tails of this.

https://www.lenovo.com/ca/en/p/laptops/legion-laptops/legion-5-series/legion-5i-pro-gen-7-(16-inch-intel)/len101g0015?visibleDatas=1258%3A1500.0-1999.991

Almost identical laptops but one GPU is rated as a laptop vs a non laptop.

I was initially looking at the 3070TIs buy that's almost another $1000 so I'm trying to be more realistic with my usage.

Those are both laptop GPUs, the Desktop 3050 non-Ti only comes with 8GB of VRAM and Nvidia hasn't bothered to release a non-laptop 3050 Ti. Both those laptops have the same GPU. Those also look expensive for a 4GB VRAM GPU if gaming is a priority, what's your budget?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

I'm wanting to replace a creaky old 11" Skylake celeron Chromebook that's falling out of support soon, and trying to compare Chromebook vs non-Chromebook. What's up with Chuwi laptops? Are they a fine budget option? I want this thing to be a knockaround couch or travel computer, ideally the size of an XPS 13 or smaller but cheap because I don't need it to do anything computationally intensive. I've got two Beelink mini-PCs that I've been happy with for years now so I'm not afraid of China-brand stuff, and I know that an N100 CPU would be fast enough because the N5095s in the Beelinks are fine.

https://www.chuwi.com/product/items/chuwi-minibook-x-n100.html
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805576865569.html

Has anybody actually lived with a Chuwi for a few years? What's the downside?