Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I've never really noticed any problem with the fingerprint reader on my new XPS 15, not 100% every time but nothing different than what I expected from phones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Is there a tool or method for adjusting the settings of my laptop's display and and external screen to get their properties closer to each other like in general? Just a shot in the dark -- I don't know the first thing about which settings to fiddle with or the vocabulary to use here. I (obviously!) don't do any color-sensitive work and mostly have the laptop closed when it's plugged in to the monitor on my desk so this is really just a mild annoyance but figured someone here has done this. '19 model XPS 15 and some random old Dell monitor if it matters.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Anybody know off the top of their head if the power adapter for my 2019 XPS 15 (7590 iirc) is compatible with a Latitude 5500? The latter is someone else's work machine so I didn't want to just find out the hard way.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Yeah I glanced at the specs from the manuals on Dell's site and while I don't know what the numbers mean they are different enough that I won't try. Thanks anyway!

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Adun posted:

Just ordered a new XPS 13. How accurate are the Dell delivery dates, generally?
They're super conservative in my experience and others here have said the same IIRC; they estimated like three weeks for the last couple of things I or people I know bought from them and they always show up in like 5-7 days.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Olothreutes posted:

And hopefully I can upgrade the OS to 10 Pro via some chicanery.
Think you can just buy the upgrade right from the Control Panel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I'm more positive on my (2019 iirc) XPS 15 than some of the above maybe cause my usage habits just don't touch some of the things I hear people complain about but what gets me is the kind of bug that when you Google looks like it's been on and off for a huge portion of this manufacturer's laptops since like 2013: if it goes to sleep on its own via inactivity, there's a like 50/50 chance the touchpad will be malfunctioning when you wake it; you'll be able to move the cursor but once you end a motion and lift your finger the pad goes completely unresponsive for about five seconds, repeat. Never happens after I go to sleep from the start menu (that's the quickest way to solve it, too) so the answer has to be staring them in the face somewhere those processes differ. Never happens if I boot an Ubuntu stick. The answers are always some variation on update/rollback some driver and if it seems to work briefly it never sticks. Questions about this going back for years.