Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gman14msu
Mar 10, 2009
Regarding the T440s release date, the last few pages this thread on Notebookreview.com are keeping up with updates to the Lenovo site. Recently, a page for Japanese corporate sales was put online (or recently it was found). Plus the T440 English websites seem to be up for some other countries but without ordering options.

For those who know more about this stuff, does that shed any additional light on the release date? Or is it still just sometime between now and October 31st?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gman14msu
Mar 10, 2009
The T440s is apparently for sale in Germany at Campuspointe.de. Someone on another forum reported they are available in 2-3 days. Whether that means shipping time or actual go on sale time, I'm not sure. Any idea what this means for the U.S. market?

Edit: Translates to ready for shipment within 2-3 business days.

gman14msu
Mar 10, 2009
So is there a consensus on continuing to wait for the T440s? I'm going to school and will be bringing my laptop from home to work to school and back every day. I need it mostly for taking notes and writing papers. I also want to be able to play Civ V or similar games. I have a laptop that will do for 2-3 more months so I don't mind waiting. As far as price, I'm willing to pay for quality and can go up to where you start getting diminishing returns. I think that's like $1,400. My main priorities are (in order):
Transportability
Durability
Battery Life
Screen Quality
Processing power (for games)

I don't care about:
Touch
Trackpad stuff (I rarely use a laptop now so won't have to re-learn anything)
Physical looks of the laptop

Am I missing anything here? The T440s is still the one and it'll be worth waiting for right?

gman14msu
Mar 10, 2009
I’ve been waiting for the T440s (Out today!) but I wanted to make sure it’s still the best laptop for my use case. I need it mostly for writing papers and browsing the internet. I’d love it if it could play some games like Civ V, which it looks like it can. I'm concerned about weight and durability since I'll be taking it with me on public transit every day.

A few other questions before ordering:

Is it worth $100 to upgrade from the i5-4200U to the i5-4300U?

The idea is to keep the RAM and HD standard, planning on to replace them myself later on with an SSD and more RAM, correct?

I don’t lose anything in display quality by upgrading to touch, correct? I’m willing to pay $80 more to try it, but not if I lose any quality.

Should I upgrade to the Intel Dual Band wireleess 7260AC for $30? If there's any noticeable difference between this and standard, I'm in for $30, I'm just not sure if there is any.

Setup is below, final price is $1,206

+/- Configuration details
• Intel Core i5-4200U Processor on Mother Board
• Windows 8 64
• Windows 8 64 English
• T440s 14.0 FHD Multitouch WWAN
• Intel HD Graphics 4400
• 4 GB DDR3L - SDRAM 1600MHz Base
• Keyboard Backlit - US English
• Fingerprint Reader, dock
• 720p HD Camera
• 500GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm
• 16GB M.2 Solid State Drive Single
• 3rd M.2 SSD slot
• ThinkPad Battery 3 cell Li-Polymer (23.2Whr)
• ThinkPad Battery 3 cell Li-Polymer (23.2Whr)
• 45W AC Adapter - US (2pin)
• TThinkPad Wireless 2 x 2 BGN with Bluetooth
• Integrated Mobile Broadband upgradable
• Publication - US English
• 1 Year Depot or Carry-in

gman14msu
Mar 10, 2009

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

But does it really add a pound, and why?

A question answered by a Lenovo rep on the site said the weight for the touch screen and 72 Whr battery is about 4 lbs. The laptop is listed as starting at 3.6 lbs, so I'm guessing those two features are .4 lbs.

I'm pretty sure I'm in on the 6-cell battery, even with the bump on the end. I figure getting a 3-cell one later if I want a slimmer profile won't be that expensive. Is that wrong?

Edit:

I'm also still deciding between the i5-4200 and i5-4300.

gman14msu fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Oct 29, 2013

gman14msu
Mar 10, 2009

Progressive JPEG posted:

Ordered T440s with minimum ram/cpu/disk, adding FHD display and Intel AC wireless. :toot:

I'm about to do the same but with upgraded battery and the touchscreen. I think the battery adds .3 lbs or les and the screen adds .1. I'm OK with that extra weight.

gman14msu
Mar 10, 2009
So I received an email this morning saying my T440s has shipped. The Lenovo order status website doesn't appear to be working, but last I checked my estimated shipping date was November 20th. So, as usual, the estimated shipping dates mean nothing. UPS doesn't have the tracking information up yet. Any idea where they ship from and what estimated delivery time typically is?

gman14msu
Mar 10, 2009
So I've had my T440s since Friday and gotta say, overall I'm pretty happy. Take anything I have to say with a grain of salt because I've never really had a laptop before and had been temporarily using a 5-6 year old Dell.

I guess I was expecting it to be a bit lighter, but the weight is reasonable and it has a completely solid feel which I love. I have the touch screen and larger battery, which adds some weight.
The start up time is a bit slower than I thought but I haven't put in more RAM or updated from the 500GB HD yet.
Windows 8 has a pretty steep learning curve but once I put on 8.1 things seemed to go smoother. I spend most of my time on the normal desktop anyway.
I was convinced for the first day and a half that my webcam was broken and I would have to send it back but after going through all the Lenovo and Windows setup programs, I found a Lenovo privacy setting was on, disabling the camera.
I was on the fence on the touchscreen and I'm totally glad I got it. Even though it doesn't fold flat as a tablet, I find myself reaching up to move stuff around for web browsing or using some apps like Netflix. Having the touch screen along with a great keyboard makes it the best of both worlds.
The touchpad is a little weird and takes some getting used to. I still have trouble right-clicking successfully on the first try, but I'm getting there. Overall though, the touchpad is pretty intuitive and I'm using it over the nipplemouse for everything. It works surprisingly well for selecting text and website scrolling.
I'm also hitting the function key when I want to hit control, which is annoying.

Overall, I think it was worth the wait. This thing is going to get daily use and travel with me from home to work to school and back every day. I can't stress enough how solid it feels. If anyone has questions, I'll try to answer, but be aware I'm not super knowledgeable.

gman14msu
Mar 10, 2009
I'm looking for a replacement for a stolen T440s, which I was overall happy with. I'm assuming the T450s is my no-brainer choice?

Priorities are durability, portability, and battery life. I'll be hauling this from home to work to school on public transit every day. I basically need it for web-browsing, writing, and some light-medium gaming.

I was thinking the T450s with the following upgrades:

1080 IPS display +$70
8G 4G Base + 4G (1 SoDIMM) +$80
UltraNav (TrackPoint and TouchPad) with Fingerprint Reader +$20
128GB Solid State Drive, SATA3 +$90

This puts me at $860 through B&N Gold which is still the standard?
Also, any idea what happened to the 6-cell rear battery option, is that gone?

Big thanks for keeping the OP updated BTW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gman14msu
Mar 10, 2009
Thanks for the advice. I was considering upgrading myself, as you suggest, but I had planned to do that with my T440s and never got around to it in the year and a half I had it. I'll just bite the bullet and do it right away this time.

Where can I look to find compatibility information, or alternatively can someone confirm these would work?

RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231704
SSD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147398

Nevermind, I donno why I thought it was M.2- this one:
SSD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147372

gman14msu fucked around with this message at 04:08 on May 19, 2015