Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Hey guys, can you help me out? I'm looking for a new laptop. I really like the Yoga 13 and the idea of a windows 8 tablet/pc thingy that I can install steam on. I'd like a touch screen and if possible (and not insane), some kind of pressure sensitive pen system for drawing.

The main uses will be

1. Photoshop/Video Editing (so I can get away from the desk)
2. Using in public places, conventions, on the go so light and small is great, as is battery power.
3. Light gaming, mainly indie games, touch screen games, low requirement games

Basically in that order. The price range is totally under $1,000 but anything around 699 would be great, but I wouldn't mind paying more to get more of 1 and 2. 3 isn't that big of deal.

I'm not sure if I should pull the trigger on the Yoga 13, I probably will unless somebody knows a device that has pressure sensitive settings.

Thank you for your time

Yoga 13 I was looking at http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-13-3-Inch-Convertible-Touchscreen-Ultrabook/dp/B00ATANVLG/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

null_user01013 fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Aug 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Cream_Filling posted:

The Thinkpad X230t has a wacom pen and just barely squeaks in at $960 with the B&N Gold discount. It's thicker but weighs almost the same amount (slightly more due to a bigger battery). I have the previous gen and had to use the direct predecessors for years at work, and they are quite durable and the pen is good. I think it's worth cross-shopping if you're interested in drawing, especially if you're going to travel a lot. The only downsides are the lower-res screen (both have IPS screens), and that it doesn't come with SSDs standard like the yoga seems to.

That sounds good, I could upgrade the HD later if I really like it. What is the B&N Gold Discount?

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Cream_Filling posted:

You go here and register an account:
http://shoplenovo.i2.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/na/StdAffinityPortal/en_US/Lenovo:EnterStdAffinity?affinity=barnesnoblegold

And hope the website likes you because Lenovo's website is weird and buggy.

Thanks, took three tries but I got an account. Also jumped up a bit and got the better computer. I'm going to see how the stock HDD works, but they want like 390 bucks to install a crap 256 HDD, might as well buy one off amazon for 189 and just throw Windows 8 on that. I haven't really had a laptop before, you only get 1 HDD on it right? Space won't be that much of an issue, I plan on file serving off my main system while working with large files anyway. Maybe use remote desktop too.

This is the main details from the system I ran with:

• Intel Core i7-3520M Processor (4M Cache, up to 3.60 GHz)
• 12.5" Multitouch HD (1366x768) LED Backlit Display, Mobile Broadband Ready, 2x2 Antenna
• Intel® HD Graphics 4000
• 8 GB DDR3 - 1600MHz (2 DIMM)
• UltraNav™ with TrackPoint® and buttonless multi-touchpad
• 500GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm
• ThinkPad Series 3 UltraBase
• Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 AGN
• Mobile Broadband upgradable

What is the Mobile Broadband upgradable?

null_user01013 fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Aug 19, 2013

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Hadlock posted:

It's a SIM card slot + 3G/4G antenna and a free internal slot for a mobile broadband modem, probably mini-PCI-E. When you get the laptop you'll probably find a slot for the SIM card behind the battery somewhere.

i7 isn't terribly useful in a laptop from a $/performance perspective unless you're crunching impressive amounts of data.

Oh, that's good to know, I'll bump down and save some money and spend that on the SSD upgrade (getting one off amazon on my own). Thanks!

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
My laptop shipped from Lenova, that seemed rather quick. I know a lot of people had problems with them shipping and my ship date was set to next month. Maybe they just overshoot the estimates. I'll let everyone know when it gets here to help you decide if it is worth the wait.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

DrDork posted:

Lenovo's website should have all the drivers available for you to download. Do have the NIC driver downloaded beforehand and sitting on a USB stick or whatnot in case Windows doesn't automatically pick it up when you install. Other than that, no, you should be ok, though the time investment in deleting the bloatware is about the same as doing a reinstall anyhow, so you're not really gaining yourself much. I also strongly recommend you make yourself a copy of the restore disks before you do anything, as that'll ensure you can always get back to a usable state even if you do gently caress something up (you can also order the restore disks from Lenovo and they'll next-day them to you for free!).

Yeah, I got the ThinkPad X230 Tablet but it comes shipped with Win7. I have a legit copy of Win8 sitting here doing nothing, should I just install that and go from there? I haven't been keeping up on Win8 but with a touch screen and tablet type pc, running it shouldn't be a problem right? I heard those systems have terrible partitions anyway, so I'd likely just swap out the 500GB HD and throw in a SDD and run with that. I want this system to run fast and easy, with no super hot heat lap that I usually get with laptops.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

QuarkJets posted:

Yeah, you can fix the UI. Windows 8 also has a lot of features that make it consume less power than 7, so you'll get more battery life. These are good things.

Is it still terrible for games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Hey, I got my laptop today. The thing is pretty slick, ThinkPad X230 Tablet. I like the screen, a little bit smaller than I expected but it gets the job done. The pressure sensitive option works great and it runs games pretty well. Thanks for the help everyone!