Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eames
May 9, 2009

BrainDance posted:

Well guess it's begun. I know I should wait and see what else pops out but gahh 1070 right at my price range do I impulse buy this or not? https://www.amazon.com/GL502VS-DB71-Full-HD-Gaming-I7%25C2%25AD6700Q-Windows/dp/B01K1INYD0/

I'm in the same situation. Sorely tempted. There's a humongous Asus G752 with a GTX1070 in stock near me.
In terms of GPU power this machine should easily last me 3-4 years at 1080p. I had a G73-JH years ago and was very happy with it.

This would be pretty much on par with a full desktop machine but I'd be able to stow it away when not in use (which is most of the time because I consider myself a casual gamer).

The only downside I see is the design of those Asus ROG laptops, although they are pretty "tame" compared to MSI. I'd prefer them to look boring like a Gigabyte Aero with the black cover. I've got a rMBP for everyday use so the Asus would never leave the house but still.

What if mobile GTX10x0 parts suffer from the same supply issues as the desktop parts?
From what I've gathered some use the same chips as the desktop cards but are binned even more aggressively, so supply issues seem likely. It's not like there are any alternatives to this mobile GPU. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

Hadlock posted:

That's been the plan since they were announced, at least for the 1070 and 1080

Presuming they wire them up correctly, they ought to be VR-capable for low end use, like playing TF2 inside of Virtual Desktop.

Until I see that review, I'm sceptical, but hopeful. I'd love up replace my current 2010 era desktop with a T470p with a 1060 or 1070. The era of the gaming laptop might finally be upon us(?). Still waiting on the whole thermal throttling situation though.

There are already comprehensive reviews over here:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Nvidia...0.171566.0.html

The end of the page links to a handful of actual device reviews. The news looks very good — no throttling and performance is within 5-10% of desktop machines, so just as capable in VR.
The ridiculous water-cooled Asus notebook is actually 15% faster than i-6700K with a FE GTX1080. :psyduck:

eames
May 9, 2009

The Iron Rose posted:

optimus has nothing to do with VR. I tmeans that the intel iGPU is entirely disabled. Most laptops with discrete graphics cards switch back and forth between the iGPU and the dGPU in order to save battery life - that does not look like that is the case with any 1070 equipped laptop as far as I can tell. It apparently is the case for the Asus 502VT(I think? the Asus with the 1060), which does have Optimus enabled, with the associated rise in battery life.

Optimus and G-Sync are mutually exclusive at the moment, that's why you'll have a hard time finding gaming laptops with Optimus.

eames
May 9, 2009

The Iron Rose posted:

well that's a hell of a trade off isn't it

I guess. I'm only in the market for a gaming laptop because my rMB is terrible at it (and will be in the foreseeable future). I don't want to clutter my house with an additional desk/computer for those couple of hours per week.
That laptop never gets unplugged and if there was an option to replace the battery with a larger heatsink or additional fans, I probably would go for that.
Guess how much I miss Optimus GPU switching. :eng101:

eames
May 9, 2009

May I suggest putting this link in the OP? It's always up to date and has very good information for people looking for a gaming laptop.

http://alteredqualia.com/texts/notebooks/

That being said I couldn't resist and ordered a G752VS on Amazon (not Amazon Marketplace) yesterday.
Something seemed wrong because it was a max-spec device (i7-6820HK, 32GB RAM, GTX1070, 120Hz screen, 512GB SSD, 1TB HDD and bag+headset+mouse) priced lower than the naked model (<2000€).
Sure enough listing was gone a few hours after I ordered — clicking the link in the order confirmation gives me a 404. I fully expected it to get cancelled but to my surprise the laptop shipped today and I have a tracking number. Whether they actually shipped that version or the listing was just wrong and they sent me a lower spec is anybody's guess. :shobon:

I'm looking forward to try that humongous ugly desktop replacement, the GPU is all I care about.

eames
May 9, 2009

Hadlock posted:

That looks useful, what's the background on it?

All I know is that the creator/maintainer of the site is a WebGL developer who seems to do this in his free time.
He's on twitter at https://twitter.com/alteredq

NewFatMike posted:

TB3 eGPU stuff

I was really excited for TB3 eGPUs until I Iearned that the overhead/latency of the TB3 protocol is so high that there'll always be a 20-30% performance hit compared to truly native PCIe even though the bandwidth isn't the bottleneck.
That's a lot when you consider that Nvidia's notebook GPUs are now only 5-10% behind the desktop parts.

An Asus engineer mentions this is this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs_Ky4yCz0k&t=124s

and this Razer Core review confirms it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D79GsrEqe4&t=330s

Note that these results are with an external screen. It's even worse when you are trying to run an internal screen with high resolution (4k) because the processed image data has to be sent back into the laptop using the same cable/bus.

Maybe Kaby Lake's TB3 controller will fix this? :shrug:

eames fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Aug 18, 2016

eames
May 9, 2009

eames posted:

I'm looking forward to try that humongous ugly desktop replacement, the GPU is all I care about.

Just to follow up on this, they did indeed send me a completely maxed out G752VS instead of the basic model. Complete with a bag, mouse and headset.
I called Amazon and pointed out that they sent me a machine with a wrong keyboard layout that should cost >1000€ more than I paid for.
The customer rep promptly apologized and offered me additional 10% off the price I paid in form amazon store credit, should I decide to keep the machine. :confuoot:

Anyway, I'm sending it back tomorrow for multiple reasons.
The screen is much worse than I expected and pretty much instantly gave me a headache after using a 15" rMBP for 3 years, sound quality is so bad that I kept looking for some protective foil to pull off the speakers, the keyboard is mushy and glows red in a font that was ripped off a 1997 geocities webpage, trackpad is unusable, chassis design is even more in-your-face than I had anticipated.

Most importantly the GTX1070 has way more performance than I need for a 1080p/75hz panel. WoW with all settings completely maxed and 4x SSAA+CMAA (effectively rendering at double the resolution) ran at over 100 fps and still felt CPU bound. I'm sure it would look different in a game like the new Deus Ex but still. I consider the laptop graphics performance "problem" solved for now. :v:

Encounters like this make me appreciate what a good and well rounded device the rMBP really is. A 17" rMBP with a GTX1060 would have been so utterly perfect for all my purposes.

PS: Returning a massively discounted gaming notebook for performing too well — pretty sure I'm getting old and sensible. :(

eames
May 9, 2009

White Rock posted:

Qouting myself:

Been doing more research and finding better deals. Ebay seems to be the way to go for the cheapest stuff. Finding it hard to pull the trigger on a used, i really hate picking the wrong choice when buying.

Can i get a quick thumbs up for either of these?

Read this, it really hit home for me.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/8/23/12602776/first-click-the-importance-of-knowing-when-to-stop-searching

:shobon:

eames
May 9, 2009

KillHour posted:

Acer just made the world's dumbest loving laptop.

I would pay good money to see Jonathan Ive's look on his face when somebody plops this down in front of him with a smug face.

A 8kg 21" laptop with a mechanical keyboard and a curved screen.
Now I feel guilty for giving Asus poo poo about their watercooling docking station.
Do people actually buy these things or are they just halo/marketing excerises α la Bugatti Veyron?

eames
May 9, 2009

Purely anecdotal but I have a 2013 rMBP with GT3e Crystalwell and a GT750m.
Forcing some games to run only on the iGPU in some circumstances gives me higher minimum and average framerates than with the dGPU.

It took me a while to figure out why.
Long story short, the rMBP charger has an output of 85W but both chips combined have 95W TDP (+- 5W, I don't want to look it up but it's higher than what the charger is rated for and that's not even accounting for the screen, memory, drives and all other hardware in the machine).
When both CPU and dGPU are stressed to their absolute limit for extended periods of time, the SMC throttles the CPU to 0.8 Ghz because the GT750m is using all the power. :v:

Disabling the dGPU frees up power envelope for the CPU and lets it run unthrottled which results in better framerates than the GT750m being bottlenecked by a 0.8 Ghz CPU.
I've been trying to find a way to underclock/undervolt the GT750m for better performance but there's no way to do that in OS X.

eames
May 9, 2009

450W measured power consumption in a "laptop" :psyduck:

eames
May 9, 2009

I never had much respect for Xiaomi and their xerox-tactics in the past but Apple's dominance is becoming so apparent that I'm rooting for those chinese copies to become a big success on the western markets.

eames
May 9, 2009

Heaps of Sheeps posted:

Is there a laptop with a good IPS screen, good keyboard, a GTX 1060, and doesn't look like a stupid loving xxxtreme g4m1nG toy? I'd like to do some moderate gaming on the road but I'd also like to bring my laptop to meetings and not look like a loving idiot.

Keep an eye out for the updated Gigabyte Aero. It looks fairly restrained with the black display cover and Gigabyte confirmed that the refresh will have a GTX1060 and a 14" 1440p IPS panel. It should be released within the next 2 months.

eames
May 9, 2009

Razer announced a new 17" Laptop, the Razer Blade Pro.

I've heard too many negative things about their warranty, support and built quality in the past but should the rMBPs vanish off the face of the earth over night, this would be on top of my list.
It uses the same mechanical switches as their iPad keyboard:

https://vine.co/v/5wi2DJXmU9Y

Prices start at $3699/4199€ and go up from there. :stare:

The whole room of Razer Fanboys went silent and started laughing when they announced the price. https://www.twitch.tv/razer/v/96094297 @ 47:30
(complete with "did somebody feint?" joke by the presenting CEO)

eames fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Oct 21, 2016

eames
May 9, 2009

Really quite impressive if you can ignore the backdoor/spying concerns. I'd love to check one out to see if the build quality is really that good.

eames
May 9, 2009

motherbox posted:

I'm debating between the Spectre X360 or a T460s with a Geforce 930m, and the only gaming that I really have an interest in laptop-wise is Civ 6. It'd be a huge bonus if I could get it running reasonably well on low settings, but I can't tell if the 930m would actually be any better than Kaby Lake's integrated graphics. Anyone have any suggestions?

Notebookcheck.net is a good site for this type of comparisons.

here is a link to these two GPUs. here are some actual framerates in games.

looking at the big list they are pretty close on rank 198 and 202.

eames fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 30, 2016

eames
May 9, 2009

s.i.r.e. posted:

Just got the Blade in and it's absolutely fantastic so far, though, I see the 256GB being a pain in the rear end shortly.

I'm very interested in a small review if you have the time. What was your previous machine?

eames
May 9, 2009

While we're on the topic of 960m, here's where current top-of-the line 35W Polaris 11 slots in. :(

https://twitter.com/alteredq/status/800851398694825984

eames fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Nov 24, 2016

eames
May 9, 2009

Intel's iGPU ambitions really must have hit a wall considering the 940MX in the new Thinkpads, a 0.8 TFLOP 25W Maxwell part in 2017. :crossarms:

eames
May 9, 2009

At least one major OEM — I believe it was Asus — stated that they won't make 1050ti notebooks because the chip's price/performance ratio is unattractive, with OEM pricing being too close to the GTX1060.

eames
May 9, 2009

Razer's answer to that Acer Predator up there...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnrOhvUA8o8

:psyduck:

eames
May 9, 2009

Something perhaps worth reading for those who are considering Razer notebooks (like myself)

Mobius 1 posted:

1. The Kepler generation Blade 14 (I believe it's a 870M GPU) - has a defect where the vBIOS chip is placed on the back of the GPU area, and that chip can only survive 75c before frying out. Due to the thin design and the chip not being cooled it is very easy for that chip to die and make the unit inoperable.

2. Newer Blades with Maxwell + Haswell / Skylake has issue where a VRM / mosfet bank would give up since the components used are low quality and cannot sustain high temperatures. These would eventually give up and need to be replaced by an astronomical cost of $700 out of warranty from Razer.

The whole thing is documented here, including a video of a notebook repair guy who claims Razer is replacing the underdimensioned/faulty mosfets with the same exact same parts on refurbished boards, as well as a non-statement ("contact support") by the CEO of Razer.

https://www.reddit.com/r/razer/comments/5tr8wt/razer_ceo_covering_up_cheappoor_design_of_razer/

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/razer-ceo-covering-up-cheap-poor-design-of-razer-notebooks.801443/

eames
May 9, 2009

The combination of a GTX1070 and a 1080p/60Hz panel is unfortunate unless you're buying a machine strictly for the future. I'd want a 120Hz or 1440p panel with that GPU.

eames
May 9, 2009

I believe eGPUs still have licensing issues. Intel doesn't endorse them because nobody cares about faster iGPUs when eGPUs become mainstream. They've shut down many attempts at products over the years. The Razer Core was the first enclosure to official support it, iirc. I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact that their iGPUs no longer keep up with dedicated chips.

TB3 seems to have solved the bandwidth concerns but latency and protocol processing overhead is still an issue, although GPUs are becoming so powerful that +-25% doesn't matter as much as it used to.

eames
May 9, 2009

TouchyMcFeely posted:

Can anyone comment on the state of eGPU at the moment and would an eGPU be a decent replacement for the "Buy a desktop for gaming" philosophy?

In my case I'm a frequent traveler looking to upgrade a Yoga 11 i3 w intel graphics with a dated desktop at home.

I'm not interested in lugging around crazy gamer laptop but would like to play some modern games on the road and beefier games when I'm at home.

techinferno.com is where all the eGPU people hang out. Chances are that somebody there is using the same machine as yours.

eames
May 9, 2009

eGPU (+ dualbooting depending on your main OS?) is possible but far more trouble than it's worth. Dualbooting alone is annoying enough to not make me want to play games in the first place.
Steam inhome streaming is totally seamless, allows alt-tabbing, removes all the noisy and hot hardware from my vicinity and doesn't use up any precious internal SSD space.
The only situation where I'd prefer an eGPU are twitch shooters like Overwatch as that's where the 30ms display latency (probably closer to 40ms including laptop display lag) is vaguely noticeable to me.
It's also worth mentioning that development on in-home streaming seems to have stagnated over the last months which may or may not have something to do with Valve's focus on VR. :shrug:

eames
May 9, 2009

Have you considered Steam in-home streaming?

eames
May 9, 2009

Asus announced the 8 core AMD laptop today. Desktop R7 1700 (65W) and a "RX580" (also 65W - possibly Polaris 11 refresh?)

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/systems/asus_announce_their_rog_strix_gl702zc_notebook_with_an_8-core_ryzen_7_cpu/1

eames
May 9, 2009

Razer listened and is now offering the new Blade Stealth without gamery accents. Slap a sticker on the logo and it almost looks professional!

source: https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/6/14/15797794/razer-blade-stealth-update-e3-2017-gunmetal-color-13-inch-screen

Only registered members can see post attachments!

eames
May 9, 2009

Rex-Goliath posted:

Something I hadn't thought about is buying a run of the mill ultrabook with thunderbolt so that I have a light laptop for traveling and can carry the GPU enclosure in my suitcase since I'd only be using it in the hotel room anyways. Gonna look into my options for that type of build

Edit: holy moly nevermind. I thought that market was way more mature than it is

Yeah, the excellent performance of "mobile" Pascal and Intel refusing to license TB3 for eGPU solutions kind of killed that market.
A GTX1070 is already far more than you need for the average 1080p/60Hz gaming notebook panel. Most of the enclosures are also pretty heavy and unwieldy because they contain a ATX PSU.
Acer made a decent mobile graphics dock but with a rather slow 960m: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-Graphics-Dock-brings-external-GPU-support-for-notebooks.161328.0.html

eames
May 9, 2009

Astian posted:

Sorry to barge in with ignorant questions again, but my old laptop finally kicked the bucket so I'm going to make an order ASAP. Is the following config, at $804 from the Lenovo discount link in OP, a reasonable deal for basic use, no gaming, heavy .doc usage, and minimal Photoshop?

Processor : Intel Core i5-7200U Processor (3M Cache, up to 3.10 GHz)
Display Panel : 15.6" FHD (1920x1080), non-Touch, no WiGig, WLAN, WWAN
Memory : 8GB DDR4-2133 SODIMM
Graphics : Intel HD Graphics 620
TPM Setting : Hardware dTPM2.0 Enabled
Hard Drive : 500GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm, 2.5", SATA3
Front Battery : 4 Cell Li-Polymer Battery 32WH

Needs a SSD or at least a free bay/NVMe slot for one. Screen would put me off, rest seems ok.

eames fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jul 20, 2017

eames
May 9, 2009

makes a lot more sense than the touch bar to be honest.

eames
May 9, 2009

Harrow posted:

Maybe taking another run at undervolting or possibly even repasting would help, I dunno.

Setting a FPS limit that’s lower than your average frame rate increases minimum frame rates by a lot in such thermal/power-limited situations.

eames
May 9, 2009

Statutory Ape posted:

whats it cost to get like a 1070ti w/ enclosre? $650? rather just build a SFF gamer out of a refurb and a lowpro at that point

especially considering you realistically still need the entirety of the rest of the desktop setup (monitor, kb, mouse, etc) to take full advantage of egpu , as i understand it

I'm inclined to agree, you could always use parsec/steam inhome streaming/etc via LAN to play directly on your laptop. the second machine could double as a nas/htpc/homeserver, you won't have to waste mobile SSD space and the laptop stays cool. Inputlag is only an additional 5ms with modern GPU hardware encoders, far less than the delay of an average notebook display. eGPUs are nice on paper though.

eames
May 9, 2009

I'd be quite surprised if we saw new mainstream (1050/1050ti/1060 successor) mobile Turing chips before a die-shrink.

News sites reported that Turing on 12nm was more or less a miss-step, the resulting power lack of efficiency improvement doesn't matter much in desktop computers but it sure does in mobile devices.

eames
May 9, 2009

Dell recently patented a pretty neat 2-in-1 concept with dual monitors, I wonder if one could also use it as a double-wide tablet.

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/dell-dual-screen-laptop-patent

eames
May 9, 2009

depending on your use case you could stream games via Parsec or a similar solution, maybe even a cloud service if you have solid internet.
I use that with my stream Civ6 or Witcher 3 to my 7 year old Macbook Air on the couch, works great.

eames
May 9, 2009

How is the Thinkpad X250 trackpad for somebody used to 2012-2015 MBA/MBP trackpads? I'm led to believe that the X230's is bad and X240's is worse.
I need a new (secondary) ultramobile and would like to take a step away from the Apple ecosystem for all the obvious reasons. A refurbished X250 looks like might be worth a try, if it doesn't work out I can always repurpose it as a linux homeserver with a built in emergency UPS/keyboard/display and 7W power consumption.

eames
May 9, 2009

Hadlock posted:

The x230 trackpad is abysmal, the ...250 is bad but can be upgraded with the 260 trackpad.

But challenge you to take the 30 day trackpoint challenge.

I think that one you go trackpoint, you'll realize why they haven't gone extinct in 20 years

Well, if both trackpads are bad I may as well save money and get the older x230, they seem to be really cheap at the moment (~250€ with 8GB RAM). The 450s seems nicer overall but is twice the price. They have a 30 day return policy anyway, I'll think about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

Hadlock posted:

The x250 has a bad trackpad, but the trackpad on the x230 is simply unusable

I would not buy anything older than an x260 at this point.

Received a refurbished X250 5300U/8GB/500GB HDD/1080p IPS today. Went with that because the X260 is not readily available and the newer doesn't support mSATA for the little M.2 slots.

Everything is about as described in the various reviews, the only thing that stands out to me is the display.
Display resolution, sharpness, uniformity, brightness and color reproduction are all way beyond what I expected from a device of this age and form factor. Really good. The keyboard doesn't feel particularly great or bad and neither does the touchpad, though I think I'd use the nub a lot. If anything the touchpad is better and the keyboard is worse than I expected.

It only uses 3.0-3.5W idle (wireless and display off, without battery installed, measured at the wall socket) which I thought is kind of impressive but then it is a mobile computer.

Overall condition of the machine is ok, no damage but it's clearly been very heavily used. Rubber coating has worn off on the back of the display, on all corners and around all ports, keyboard appears to have been repainted/recoated (didn't know that's a thing), lots of visible grime near the trackpad edges.
Battery is a 6 cell with 435 cycles and doesn't seem to have much life left in it.

I'll be returning this one because I feel uncomfortable handling it without gloves and feel like 400€ is too much for this condition. I'll almost certainly buy a new X1 Carbon soon!