Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar
Has there been any real info on what the new release in the Lenovo T line (ie the T440) will hold in store? I'm trying to determine whether to get the T430 now, or deal with a couple more months of classes without a laptop, like I have for the past year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar

Bob Morales posted:

You probably don't want to buy an HD4000 machine with the intention of gaming.

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/100...page=3#comments

$789 for a Lenovo Y510P

Intel Core i7-4700MQ (2.40GHz)
NVIDIA GeForce GT750M GDDR5 2GB
8GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz
15.6" FHD LED Glossy Display (1920x1080)
1TB Hard Drive + 24GB SSD
DVD Recordable (Dual Layer)
6 Cell Lithium-Ion Battery
Intel Centrino Wireless N-2230
Bluetooth Version 4.0
Integrated HD Camera
HDMI
Windows 8 64-Bit

Wow, just as I was all set to go on my T430 order, I have to see this. I guess it's time to decide how much I care about battery life :doh:

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar
I just got My y510p with an SSD - I didn't realize the OS wouldn't be installed on the SSD (I'm an idiot.) Is it viable to reinstall the OS on the SSD?

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar
Anyone with an Ideapad tried booting off of a DVD or USB drive? I'm trying to run a live CD and it hasn't worked off of DVD or USB, and I don't even see those options in the boot menu. Wondering if it works differently because of the backup button for some reason.

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar
This may be the wrong place to put this, but I figured I would ask, since the Ideapad y series are some of the most popular laptops recommended here. Has anyone gone about installing linux on one of them? I tried doing that today and other than deleting all my files and adding a bunch of inexplicable options to my boot list, I still don't have working linux