Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So the T540p is "out":

:ughh: What the hell is wrong with you, Lenovo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I don't recall actually seeing it before, it seems to be actually configurable now as opposed to "coming soon" or whatever it was they had there up until very recently. Anyway, maybe it's not new to anyone else.

And yes, my primitive chicken brain prefers to have the inputs centered with display as well as the machine not hanging off to one side of my lap. It's just a bit frustrating because it seems that with each generation they change something that didn't have to be changed, only to go back with the next version, like the spacing between the F-keys.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo, is that what it is? I didn't see the actual resolution listed so just assumed it'd roughly correspond to 2560xSomething without doing the math. I mean I'd take it over a HD display of course but that's definitely an interesting choice on their part.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kreez posted:

ThinkPad Yoga :words:

After using it for a while, what would you say is the benefit over an x-series tablet? It seems that the simpler hinges might be a bit more solid but then it's probably a bit more awkward to switch modes as well.

Hadlock posted:

It's possible, however not probable that an overly ambitious Asian med school student used their laptop once for this purpose.

It's certainly possible to get by without a laptop so it is kind of a luxury... but unless it's an unfordable luxury, I don't see why not get one. I found taking notes on a laptop preferable to the barely readable and difficult to organize handwritten chicken scratch, you can definitely get some work done on it with sufficient motivation, and best of all, if you notice an error in your paper 10 minutes before it's due, you can quickly fix it too.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

internet inc posted:

How much space is left after the Windows 8.1 install?
I recently installed 8.1 on my T61, and subtracting some data that I already loaded, the system needs around 12-13 gigs, apparently. So yeah, that leaves plenty of space even on an 80GB hard drive as long as you don't need too much space for your data. My work T520 with a 160GB SSD feels pretty tight, however, and is constantly around 80% full.

internet inc posted:

Also, what's the difference between a capacitive stylus and an active-digitizer stylus or whatever they're called?
Yeah, an active digitizer is way better for actually drawing anything thanks to higher precision, pressure and angle position data.

H5N1 posted:

What's the catch?

It's an HP, I guess.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
E: Yeah that's pretty much what I meant.

H5N1 posted:

I'm not sure what this means. We have ~1000 HP ProBooks being used at work and they've been pretty sturdy machines from what I've seen.

The rest of the HP lineup has a bit more... questionable reputation that the Elite/Pro-books, at least anecdotally. That was supposed to be a semi-serious expression of that.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

LuiCypher posted:

Jesus, that GT 755m SLI option on the Lenovo is amazing. Looked at the benchmarks, and the GTX 770m is actually inferior as a single card. Plus, anything that comes with the 770m standard is much, much more expensive.

It goes without saying, then, that it beats the pants off of the 765m that the Razer comes standard with.

Well holy loving poo poo, I had no idea the GTX755m is an Ultrabay accessory! Are they compatible with any Thinkpads? Because sliding in a GTX 755 or Quadro whatever into my T520 (or another compatible model, at least) would be just about the best thing ever. I really like the Ultrabay and it's a shame there aren't more accessories out for them - even the numpad has been discontinued, apparently in favor of messing up the keyboards, but w/e.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Hadlock posted:

Yeah, this is news to me, can someone fill me in on the details here? How recent is this? Ultrabay ports are all the same, right? So in theory you could throw a GTX755m in a $200 T410 (first gen i5) and play BF3/BF4?

Any pictures of the install process, etc?

Edit, looks like it uses the Serial Ultrabay Enhanced spec Ultrabay. That would be really amusing.

Here's a video of the card being installed into a Y500.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K66SgdoIdlI&t=440s

The connector clearly looks nothing like the one on my T520's DVD drive, which is "Serial Ultrabay Enhanced" according to the label. Which I guess explains why there isn't a also a video of someone sticking it into a Thinkpad.

It's really weird that this isn't supported, you'd think this kind of flexibility is exactly what you'd want on your Thninkpads: Alice the developer needs to test OpenGL code? Here take this Ultrabay graphics card. Bob scientist has to crunch some floats? Yep, here you go. Charlie must test Crysis 3...

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
And how much, exactly, would you like to spend? It would be much easier to recommend something within your budget if that budget was known :)

Personally, I wouldn't even restrict myself to something still in warranty (I bought an ex-corporate T61 for $100), but maybe a T430/T420 would do it for you. And if you'd be doing actual work on the (undocked) laptop, I think a T5x0 with the HD screen might be worth it, at the expense of larger size and weight - my T520 is ~2.5kg.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Martytoof posted:

One thing that's kind of souring me on my T440s is that the keys are leaving marks on my screen. I know it's tight clearance in there when it's closed, but c'mon Lenovo.

I'm this close to starting to carry some felt with me again and putting it on my keyboard when I close the laptop.

I say souring but it's not actually that aggravating or anything. More disappointing than anything. Having carried my T440s around for a few months now I don't really get a "rugged" vibe from it. It's a good performer, gets great battery life, has an awesome trackpad and LCD, but overall I kind of feel let down by it. I think all the Lenovo hype I ate up about how they were the best poo poo ever aside from Apple -- I'm not sure the T440s could have lived up to that hype.

Never had this happen with any of the previous ThinkPads (X32, T61, T410 or T520), it seems like they've been going down the shitter lately. How are the trackpoint "buttons" working for you?

Sadly my work T520 got stolen just around Christmas and I don't know what to replace it with :( I can order a T530 now (stupid keyboard layout and old processor) or wait until the T540 shows up in SRM (worse layout and trackpoint buttons, incompatible with my dock or power supplies). gently caress.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Trackpoint, yes, especially with the concave clit. Never had the keyboard leave any marks, but magnesium rollcage or not, I guess that depends on the pressure put on the lid when in the bag.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

bionictom posted:

Thanks, that helped quite a bit.

So HD+ over processor?

Definitely, the HD screen blows; the only consideration might be the graphics, where I think Ivy is a noticeable improvement.
http://techreport.com/review/22835/review-intel-core-i7-3770k-ivy-bridge-processor/17

Does anyone remember if the X32 had the drained spill-proof keyboard? Dad's managed to spill something on mine but I can't go there to check what happened :(

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Gwaihir posted:

Yea, I'm incredibly incredibly sad I can't just transplant my W520's keyboard on to every future laptop I have. It's been utterly perfect for me in every way.

I'm afraid the W/T520 generation was peak ThinkPad, the xx30 were already messed up.

Hey guys look at all the space we're saving :downs:

Bob Morales posted:

That's why I bought a Lenovo USB keyboard for my desktop many moons ago. Same keyboard as my X220.
I've seriously considered that especially since they come with the trackpoint :getin: but didn't really need a compact keyboard, and they aren't cheap enough to buy one just in case. Still, I'll probably get one before they discontinue them in favor of the new and improved layout.

While the 530 and especially 540 are pretty bad, but the X1 is just incomprehensible. The problem with replacing caps lock with home/end is that I've been remapping it to control and vice versa, so I had control in a good location and still had caps lock for when needed. Now that's gone, obviously. That's still just the tip of the iceberg that I'm not even going to get into. The are the mouse buttons, speakers, volume/mute buttons, the hinge, and all this stuff already applies to the T/W and other X series, not just the fake Edge series as I hoped.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So... any word on Maxwell chips in laptops? The 750 Ti represents a huge jump in power efficiency that could make gaming on a reasonable a sensible proposition. This and a refreshed Haswell or Broadwell just might make me look at a new laptop again, at least if Lenovo can unfuck their Thinkpads by then.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
Yeah pretty much.

SlayVus posted:

Tick for tack the current mobile GPUs are about the same.

GTX 760M - 10.5 GigaPixels/s 42.1 GigaTextures/s 55w TDP
GTX 750 - 16.3 GigaPixel/s 32.6 Gigatextures/s 55w TDP

GTX 765M - 13.6 GigaPixel/s 54.4 GigaTextures/s 65w TDP
GTX 750 TI - 16.3 GigaPixel/s 40.8 GigaTextures/s 60w TDP

Nvidia most of it's performance from it's GigaTexture performance. AMD likes to throw in GigaPixel/s performance as well as GigaTexture/s, but their GT/s is not near as high as Nvidia's with the current GPUs.

GTX 780 - 41.4 GP/s 160.5 GT/s
GTX 780 Ti - 42 GP/s 210.2 GT/s
R290X - 64 GP/s 176 GT/s

Just looking at pure theoretical fillrates, the R290x beats the GTX 780. Nvidia released the GTX 780 Ti in retaliation, but did nothing with the GP/s performance. All they did was increase GT/s performance by 30.9% and GP/s performance by a measly 1.4%.

Well I was looking at the desktop parts so far - performance-wise the GTX 750 Ti is roughly between R7 260X and 265, but uses 40 fewer watts to deliver that, and compares roughly similarly to other Nvidia cards. Presumably, they'd be able to squeeze it a bit more efficiency through binning and other black magic out of them for the mobile versions.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

LuisX posted:

Hi all, I have visited and asked for recommendations in this forum, and thanks to all of you I have upgraded my system numerous times with the right parts and quality. Thank you all!

Recently, I begun to take a plunge into photography (not full time, but its getting there), and I will like to get rid of my desktop system, since I do not care as much about playing games anymore (I am content with Hearthstone and similar paced games).

Therefore, I am asking how much I should save up to get something just as good and possibly better. In the order of what I need, I need something Powerful, Durable, and maybe Portable, in that order. I am planning on saving up to $3000-$5000 for this, but this might be a bit excessive (up to you guys if I need that much saved up). I'd like to do the upgrade next year.

I am currently using Windows 7. Software list: Photoshop*, Lightroom*, Premiere, After Effects
* Denotes most important software

I'd like a dual drive system, a fast drive with my OS and programs, and a big drive for data. That said, I do plan on using HD external bays to access my archived content. I'd like an IPS panel as well.

If you need more information please let me know. I understand that its a long ways till my next upgrade, but I will like to get a feel of what is possible with a laptop, thank you all!

As someone doing photography as a hobby, my suggestion would be to spend <$1500 on the laptop and put everything else into lenses and other equipment. Wouldn't even recommend anything specific a year in advance, that's just silly.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

zapateria posted:

So I just unpacked a new X1 Carbon and I hate everything about it already. I'm probably gonna return it, the question is, are there any Lenovo laptops left that haven't been ruined by bullshit keyboard changes and broken trackpads? Our company is Lenovo only, but I can see this changing soon with these last models. Only thing keeping me from staying with my X220 is the terrible 1366x768 resolution and overheating/slow cpu.

All the other Thinkpads are also hosed in terms of keyboard and trackpad compared to an X220, but significantly less so than the X1. Whether they're bad enough is up to you; I'm trying to procure another T520 from our IT department instead of ordering the new one.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So IT's starting to bug me about ordering a new laptop already and the only option are T540p or... T540p. However, I found a coworker who has an exact same T520 as I had and came up with the idea of a swap.
  • T540p: 1920 x 1080, i5 2.6 GHz [4300m?], RAM 8 GB, SSD 240 GB
  • T520: 1920 x 1080, i7-2620M, RAM 8 GB, SSD 128 GB

Going by Intel specs and this table the processors should be roughly on par, with the i7 having more cache but otherwise slightly lower per-clock performance. The screens are similar or identical, I presume.

So it seems that at the cost of worse graphics (irrelevant) and less disk space, I can get a normal keyboard, mouse, ThinkLight, charger and dock compatibility, and possibility of buying it off-lease much sooner. Anything else I might be missing in the consideration?

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Mar 12, 2014

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Bob Morales posted:

Battery life is probably way better on the 540

By how much, would you guess? The T520s came with 9-cell batteries that gave me over 7 hours of reading and coding time, which I'd classify as "good enough". I don't know if the new ones come with 6 or 9-cell batteries, and the CPU has a slightly higher TDP as well though I doubt that'd make a difference.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
poo poo, that's quite significant actually. But 7+ hours was still what I was roughly getting at the end of last year when it got stolen, and yeah, it's not a huge deal - I'm usually at the office, at home, or in meeting rooms; coffee shops aren't even on my radar and I don't travel for work too much either. I think I'll try to make this happen, worse case I'll probably end up with a T540 whether I like it or not during the hardware update cycle this year.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
On the other hand, he's likely to be bottlenecked by the GPU, and the €965 one with the 755M SLI should be better in that regard.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Cheekio posted:

I've never met a trackpad I liked, so I guess I'm glad I didn't get my hopes up. Anyway, here's the first in depth review of the W540 I've found:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Lenovo-ThinkPad-W540-Workstation.112318.0.html

It's not exactly glowing (their review model had sticky keys on the left side?), but it does offer a lot of good information and a ton of pictures.

And that's really just an excuse to say that despite the estimated ship date being pushed back again, while I was reading the above review I got a shipping confirmation! Five days ahead of schedule, expected to arrive before the end of the month. Apparently obsessively checking/posting on forums about the laptop actually does make it ship faster.

Here's another review I just came across: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXa0XzNvuZU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

agarjogger posted:

When my x230 expires in (two, four?) years [...]

Yeah good luck with that, my X32 was in perfect working order up until dad spilled a glass of wine all over it a few months ago. So that's what, almost 10 years?

Hadlock posted:

They're no longer the silver bullet they once were. If you could still get the T420/T430 (pick your keyboard style preference) with a 1080p screen and Haswell/Broadwell guts, that would be my next purchase.

Without loving mouse buttons(!?!!) I'll have to go find a real laptop again. I <3 my X230 but I can't believe they got rid of the mouse buttons. Was "has too many mouse buttons" actually a complaint anyone has ever had?

You'll need to step up to a T520 but they were available with pretty nice 1080p screens and the only real sacrifice with Sandy Bridge vs Haswell is some battery life, which depending on your use case might not be a huge problem.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Jeez guys, it's not the touch typing that's problematic, it's the lovely egonomics of it. On the desktop you just push the numpad to the right until there's a straight line between your nose, G/H keys, and the center of the monitor. On a laptop you're forced to put up either with an off-center screen, or with having your hands constantly to the right of your body.

Ps. Also the 6-row layout sucks.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

zachol posted:

Aw. Was really hoping to be able to avoid that.
Thanks for the confirmation, though.

Get a refurbished Thinkpad, the Tx20 line still had the modem, not sure about Tx30. They'll be under $500 and... let's say you won't have to worry about its longevity.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
They're very useful if you need to sketch things, add annotations or draw stuff, even general photoshopping. Otherwise, not so much.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
What's the consensus on the EliteBook 850? It just popped up as an alternative to the T540 in our SRM and seeing as Lenovo's been doing their best to gently caress up their laptops lately, I'm considering going to the dark side this time.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

shrughes posted:

They're generally a fine alternative. Build quality wise, it's better. I think their chiclet keyboards are.. acceptable, but not eminently comfortable. I bet their touchpad drivers aren't bloated pieces of poo poo that take 2-5% CPU every time your finger touches it and then take 500 ms to figure out that you're scrolling, too.

Thanks! I'll probably be passing this as well though, I dug up the specs and they're all using ULV (or whatever) processors. I do actually need some decent performance out of it so will be sticking to the full-fat CPUs for now.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
What's with the complaints about keyboards on the Tx20 series? Maybe it's a T420 thing only because I had two T520s and the keyboard, in addition to having pretty much the best layout ever, also was extremely solid and didn't flex at all.

Changing the default for F keys is annoying, but what really blows about the FN situation though is that they got rid of the dedicated volume buttons and mute indicators. :downsbravo:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Don't enough benchmarks run for more than a minute to give a good idea of any throttling going on?

Anyway, this doesn't really concern me, cause I just scored a refurbished T410 off work for $80 :smug:

With the 2.4Ghz i5 M520 and 4 gis of ram it's not exactly blazing fast but when not loaded with all the corporate image bullshit it's actually pretty snappy. Hopefully they'll be getting rid of the T4/520 soon as that's when they started putting SSDs in them.

Edit: Lol it actually beats my desktop Q6600 machine at multithreaded WinRar benchmark but not single threaded :confused:

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Nov 10, 2014

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

sarehu posted:

With Thinkpads, there's reason to wait because of the whole trackpad thing.

Actually I think with Thinkpads there's a good reason to wait now, because they just promised to unfuck the trakpad with the next generation.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

sarehu posted:

That's what I said... or meant to say.

Nope you're totally right, that's exactly what you said. I misread.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Who cares :colbert:

The keyboard is the real issue here, but hopefully it's just the Helix.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Old T-series stuff:
  • An old 6-cell will last you like 60-90 minutes, maybe. Or less.
  • A new 9-cell lasts like 8 hours if you turn down the brightness a bit and just type code
  • You might be able to upgrade to 1600x900 with an ebay panel. Otherwise the resolution will suck for coding.
  • The T5/420 is IMO peak ThinkPad keyboard. It feels nicer than the T61 or X32 (T410 is the same one, I think) that I used before in terms of tactile feeling and the layout is still the proper 7-row one. Plus separate volume controls.
  • The TrackPoint is great, precise and with very little drift. Normal buttons. Not sure about the trackpad, looks ok.
  • There's definitely been significant improvements in terms of batter life (coworker with a T540 claims 12-13 hours vs mine 8), but on a budget a bigger battery is a good enough solution.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
1) As far as I can tell it only takes a 6-cell and it's 44 vs 57 Wh, whether it's a huge detriment is up to you
2) Trivial, you'll just need a screwdriver
3) This seems to be roughly the market price for these, so you'll probably be able to find a similar deal soon.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

dissss posted:

T410 is too old now - it's been used for 3+ years already, pre Sandybridge integrated graphics sucked and the screen will be abysmal. Definitely not worth that much.

I recently bought a depreciated T410 from my work and can kind of confirm that - graphics do suck but the screen, if it's 1400x900, is actually pretty decent and overall the laptop is actually quite zippy. However, $320 is way too much for it, I wouldn't pay more than about $200, and it actually cost me <$100.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Supposedly there's a 20% BF discount on custom ThinkPads: http://zdbb.net/u/7oo

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Eh, It's not such a big deal depending on the use case. Yes startup will take longer as will installing software, but that's like a once per week thing for me, at most. So this matters more for launching apps but even then for most programs I open them once and let them sit there for weeks.

I do have an SSD in my desktop and it does make a significant difference as I do a lot of I/O intensive work on it, but I'd agree with sarehu that for most regular users who just need a facebook machine it's a more questionable value for money, especially since it'd cost a significant chunk of a budget machine's total price.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

sarehu posted:

What, no ThinkLight? No 16:10 screen? Lenovo clearly doesn't care about quality.

The keyboard's still messed up too, maybe they'll get it right next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Grundulum posted:

I'm never getting my desktop-style island of Insert, Delete, Page Up/Down, etc. back, am I? :sigh: That was one of the reasons I went to Thinkpads in the first place.

Also, it looks to me like the 541 is much more the workhorse of the two. Is that correct?

The 550 looks like a dual-core only workstation :laugh:

Re keyboard, there's clearly no room for an extra row of keys above the keyboard, so no:

:jerkbag: