Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I'm looking for a laptop for $300 or less, and at first I was thinking a Chromebook, but the OP recommends an Asus X205. Looks like it's aging, though, and Amazon is offering the Asus VivoBook for basically the same price. Windows 10 is appealing, as is the possibility of using a few programs or cheapie/old games as long as I don't expect too much out of it. Is it a good buy, should I still get the X205? Did something change that makes a Chromebook a better buy?

For reference, a rough list of my priorities:
- Won't poo poo out on me in six months. (Ideally, I'd love if it had a reliable lifespan of at least two years.)
- Can handle a few Chrome tabs and a youtube video at the same time without making GBS threads itself.
- Keyboard and trackpad that aren't warm poo poo.
- Can handle browser games (specifically, like, DCSS webtiles, Fallen London, roll20, maybe some flash games)
- Decent screen size.
- Warranty that isn't awful. (1 year, maybe 2?) If I get a lemon that vomits on itself in six months, I don't want to have to buy a whole new laptop
- Windows 10.
- Discord? iTunes? Maaaaybe Skype?
- Can handle me dicking around in Unity or GameMaker a little bit.
- At least 30 GB of useable free space.
- Looks nice.

Add 'doesn't heat to boiling point' and 'doesn't wheeze and whir like it's having a robot asthma attack' somewhere based on how much else I can comfortably expect out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Hadlock posted:

I need to remove the x205

If you need under $300 try a refurb business laptop
Can I ask what's wrong with it, and the VivoBook? $200 is a sexy price for what's basically going to be used like a Chrome Book anyways.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

If I get the refurb T430, who should I get it from? Anything I should know about buying a refurb laptop?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Posting from my new Vivobook, and first impressions are good!

Keys themselves feel nice, though they feel a little oversoft underneath? I have some slight concern that they might start to go out after a while, especially since I'm normally a pretty heavy typer. Screen is nice and wide, wish it had some more vertical resolution, but that's mostly nitpicking. The tiny hard drive isn't a huge deal since I just got a $30 microSD card at the same time. Currently playing FTL while I type this post and it's working great. My mental checkpoint for whether I should try a game is, essentially, "can I imagine this running on a tablet", and for the most part, that's worked out as a metric.

Maybe in a couple months, I'll regret not getting a used thinkpad but right now, I'm pretty happy with this tiny baby computer.

Edit One more little nitpick is that the trackpad is a little weird about its right clicks, half the time it thinks I'm left clicking if I push too close to the far edge of the button.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Okay, time for me to get a less lovely/not a Chromebook laptop. Here's where I'm at.

- Will mostly just be carried around to different parts of the house for couch lounging/etc, so portability and battery life, while nice, aren't high on my priority list.
- Windows please
- Good keyboard is must, good trackpad would be great too.
- Don't mind getting a refurb as long as people who've also gotten them can attest to the lifespan (2-3 years of regular use? 1 year absolute mininum)
- Powerful enough to run... say, light to moderate Tabletop Simulator modules and emulate PS2/PSP/N64 without too much trouble. Anything higher than that is just gravy.
- Budget ideally $300 - $500, but if it really, really came down to it, I could go up to maybe, MAYBE $800. Though at that point, I'd really rather go new.

Help me stop mooching my roomie's comp.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Atomizer posted:

What kind of hardware runs Tabletop Simulator and those emulators well? I don't have a frame of reference for those so you're going to have to do a little research if you want a more specific recommendation. In general though you're not going to get anything fantastic in your preferred price range however. If an Intel iGPU is sufficient this is typically what I recommend, as it hits all your criteria otherwise and comes in at <$500 after the requisite RAM & SSD upgrades. If you do need better gaming performance then this is a good option at around the $700 point.
Honestly, looks like not much more than OpenGL 3.0(2.1 being passable?) and 8 gigs of ram, given my quick "I know nothing about computers" research. Decent amount of hard drive space would be nice, though.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 15, 2018

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Atomizer posted:

Then I insist on adding an m.2 SATA SSD, which you can get for perhaps $30-40 for 128 GB on eBay again, or $50 for 256 GB, or literally whatever you want to pay for whatever capacity you need for the OS drive (reinstall Windows on it, or you could clone it from the HDD.)
I'm not 100% on what this means. Is it a dedicated drive just for OS stuff?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Alright, got the linked things, gonna get the expanded ram too, I think my former roomie might have an old 4GB stick lying around, though, so I'm gonna ask before I spend on that.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Happy with my Aspire E15. Feels kinda cheap case-wise and it's real big for something this mediocre in power, but a 1960 resolution on a decent sized screen makes it great for Netflix, etc. and with a 256GB SSD, it's running pretty quick on the things I need it to. Thanks for the recc, thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The OP seems to be very, very out of date, so I figure I might as well just ask in-thread.

I'm looking to get a new laptop to replace my old, very much aging one before it starts to die. Specifically a Windows machine, because a lot of what I do with it is Windows-specific. On the scale of power, anything that can handle okay-ish settings Final Fantasy 14 and Deep Rock Galactic is fine, though something with enough CPU and RAM that I can also stream stuff would be nice (though not necessary). Battery life, weight, and portability aren't major factors for me, as the machine will be stationary and plugged in for most of the day. Physical size-wise, anything that's not comically huge; having a full keyboard with decent feel would be nice so I don't have to use a USB keyboard and take up even more space, but isn't a dealbreaker, and I'd rather have a small keyboard with good feel than a large one with lovely buttons.

As for durability, it'll likely need to last me at least a few years, but I'm not worried about being on the bleeding edge of anything, so I'm willing to pay a little more if it means I'll have a quality machine that won't barf all over itself and die in six months. 2 TB SSD is plenty, any smaller than that can feel very cramped, especially with needing to install a big game like XIV. I'd say my comfortable limit is $1200 and my ceiling is $1500, but that's numbers I pulled out of my rear end since I have no perspective on what computer prices are like right now.

What kinds of machines should I be looking at, and is there anything else I should know before I make my selection? Time isn't a huge factor so if there's something coming out in a month or two that'll blow my socks off, I can wait, but every month I wait is a month of risking this thing keeling over like an old dog.

Fake Edit: Also an ethernet port so I can hardwire into the internet without needing a stupid dongle when the wifi is lovely, and at least 3-4 USB ports would be lovely.

Real Edit: To answer the obvious question of "why not get a tower PC because that sounds like it meets most of your needs at a decent budget", I'm going to be moving cross country in a handful of months, and getting a monitor and tower all the way from here to the other side of the continental United States in one piece is the kind of hell I'd rather not experience again. If there really is nothing, I might just hunker down and get a tower PC after I move and deal with the logistics once I'm there, but I'd rather not wait that long if there are decent laptop options.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Apr 5, 2023