Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SSJ Reeko
Nov 4, 2009
SOD it, I ordered an X120e with 4gb for 180 on Ebay. Seems like a much more flexible and comfortable machine than a Chromebook. I might upgrade it to SSD if I enjoy it enough, but for now i'm just hoping for a computer I don't break within 3 months.

SSJ Reeko fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jun 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ Reeko
Nov 4, 2009
What are the best chromebooks out there right now? Based on Iron Rose's praise I've check out the C720 and it looks pretty nice. Something with a larger screen, around 13 inches like the Toshiba Chromebook, might be a better idea though. Is there a solid PICK THIS ONE right now, or is the C720, Toshiba, and those HP chromebooks all kinda about the same?

I'd also be really down for maybe just getting an i3 X131e. They're going for good prices at some places and due to how much I adore the X121 (AMD cpu), the same but better sounds good to me.

SSJ Reeko fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Aug 19, 2014

SSJ Reeko
Nov 4, 2009
After learning firsthand that my laptop can't handle the work I do, I'm realizing I need a new one.
My requirements:
-500 dollars max
-A decent processor, most everything I'm going to be using it for will be done in browsers with quite a few tabs open.
-A nice keyboard, as I'm gonna be doing almost nothing but typing with it.
-Durable construction, I end up breaking every electronic thing I own so it needs to be tough.

I currently have a X120e with an AMD processor. It's great to type on and I could elbowdrop it and I'd bounce off. But it just doesn't have the power I need to do much of anything.

I'm currently split between nabbing a used X131e with an i3 from Ebay for around 300, or picking up an E540 or an E440 with i3's from the outlet store for about 500. I'm tempted to go with the E540 or E440 due to it's bigger screen and keyboard with a numpad. Would that be a good choice for my needs, is the X131e a better deal, or should I look at something else I've missed?

SSJ Reeko
Nov 4, 2009

Flipperwaldt posted:

You're not saying what kind of work you're doing,

It's a job as a freelance salesman and most of it is handling chats in a browser. However I usually need to open lots of different ones to look up info and tend to have a lot open at once and need to be able to switch between them all quickly. Schoolwork is usually done in very flash-heavy websites that the x120 can't navigate due to the hardware load.

The SSD in the X120 might help, but it's been overheating very quickly lately and I can't reliably take it on and off the charger. It also can't really handle flash video, so I'm thinking it may be wearing down. I'd rather pick up something more powerful.

A poor screen would likely be quite a deterrent now that I think about it. I'll be reading a hell of a lot of text on it. I know Lenovo really isn't the best when it comes to screens, but is there some better option around that price range?

SSJ Reeko fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Aug 29, 2014

SSJ Reeko
Nov 4, 2009
Flipperwaldt warned of the iffy screens in the S440, and shrughes gave an excellent idea about looking at older thinkpads. Going a few years back to the T420 seems like it'll net me a very nice machine for a much lower cost than I'd pay otherwise.

I assume that in the realm of flash heavy websites and high res video, the 2nd gen i5 or i7 in the T420 would knock things out of the park? It may not be AS fast as Haswell, but I'm not buying this to edit video and in practice I can't imagine it'll really make that much of a difference. I looked at some pictures of the screen and it seemed better than the S440 for sure, anyone have impressions on that?

I'm really not seeing any downside to nabbing an older T420 with a 1600x900 screen outside of making sure I buy a good one from a good source. Anything I should know about it?

Either the T420 or the 520 would work, I should specify. I read that the 520s actually got the better screens. Assuming I can nab one, is that a better route to go? I also find that the X120e has a pretty fantastic screen, so if people think that screen is awful too then I'm probably gonna be fine either way.

SSJ Reeko fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Aug 31, 2014

SSJ Reeko
Nov 4, 2009

shrughes posted:

The 520's have fantastic 1920x1080 screens and good 1600x900 screens. Also, 2nd gen CPUs easily hold up today, imagine a 15% penalty on their clock speed.

The X120e does not have a fantastic screen in the same sense. It's a usable screen like the T420's.

Any word on how the 1366*768 screen is on the T520? I know that res on a 15.6 inch screen isn't ideal, but that model seems to be the most plentiful second hand.

SSJ Reeko
Nov 4, 2009

Hadlock posted:

I take it you haven't looked at ebay at all? T420s are plentiful in the sub-$200 range with Win7 Pro preinstalled and 4gb ram.

I've spent far too many hours specifically looking up T420s and T520s on ebay within the fast few days actually. I was hoping for a 502 with a 1600x900 screen rahter than the popular T420 with the 1366x768 as most all of them seem to be. Yeah, there does seem to be some T420s on now for around 200 with some issues and 300 in good condition. Screen issues have me apprehensive to pull the trigger on that one though.

SSJ Reeko fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Sep 1, 2014

SSJ Reeko
Nov 4, 2009
I'm likely going to end up getting a laptop for my brother as he re-enters jr high school, and it's largely going to be used as a notetaking and schoolwork machine. Given this, and that we don't have much money to spend on this, some of my best options seems to be the Acer C720, or an Hp Stream (11/13/14). I have a c720 already and I use for everything, It's very fast and is likely the best option out of them all spec wise. However, I'm looking at the Stream series due to windows being more versatile, and him not having wifi in class might give the cloud-heavier nature of chromebooks problems. I've also heard the keyboards on the Stream laptops are quite nice, even if the screens aren't any better than the C720's.

What would the best course of action here be? I take it the Hp streams are the best options for these low requirements around 200 dollars right now, yes? We really can't go any higher than 230. Also, is there a notable difference in performance between the hp stream 14 and the 11/13? It sounds like there is based on some impressions, but I haven't seen much in the way of direct comparisons. 14 inches might be a bit large but if the performance/build on that one is noticeably better it's worth considering.

SSJ Reeko fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jan 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ Reeko
Nov 4, 2009

Three Olives posted:

Just bought a Stream 11 to supplement my Samsung Chromebook, I would say it is a serious toss up. The Stream 11 is solid, extremely well built, better build than the Chromebook, Office 365 for a year is a solid deal. I was a little worried about the screen based on the reviews, the screen isn't great but I wouldn't call it bad.

Honestly if I had to chose one I would probably go with the Stream 11, my one concern would be cloud storage, Chrome OS handles cloud storage really well, Windows, eh. And why can't you mount Google Drive as a cloud drive on Windows like you can in Chrome OS and not have it try an sync everything?

I highly appreciate the opinion. I've gravitated towards the Stream series after another day of research, and despite some advantages of the chromebook if the stream is fast enough and durable enough, it'll do well. How's the trackpad on that thing? I've heard nothing but the roughest words about it. I'm gonna check one out in a Microsoft store soon, so now I just need to decide between the 11 or the 13.