Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I got around that while I had a MBP by using the combo dongle (1 usb-a port, 1 hdmi port, 1 usb-c for power), and then plugging a combination ethernet adapter/usb hub into the dongle. Doesn't look as pretty as a single brick on your desk, but it's a lot cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

also lol, having to use matlab instead of nearly anything else.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

If you don't have the luxury of being able to run your data on a cluster and just use the laptop as a handy ssh terminal, yeah, you'll want a bunch of ram and cores. I went from a macbook air with 4 gigs of ram to a MBP with 16 gigs and the difference when loading lots of data into ipython notebooks was nuts.

Of course, running the same code on the same data with my desktop and its 32 gigs of ram was even better, so the moral of the story is really "get as much computer as you can" if you're going to be working with large datasets

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Hadlock posted:

I think because most laptops are built like cars, whereas cellphones are built like wrist watches. Apple gets away with it because they build their laptops as if they were hermetically sealed Rolex scuba diving watches. The XPS 13/15 is built at best, like a Tesla Model 3.

So the xps has lovely hacked together software and terrible build quality at all the wrong places?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Did you have a working barnes and noble code for that (none of the ones in the OP seem to work for me). Been debating between an x1 yoga or a 13.5" surface book 2 (being able to run in a tablet mode to read/annotate papers or take notes sounds handy for me) and they're about the same price with the options I want, but if I can get the yoga for a lot cheaper that might offset being stuck with intel graphics.

Also why aren't there more sub 14" options with nvidia graphics :negative:

e. alternatively why cant' apple make a laptop with a nonshit keyboard and discrete graphics in a 13" package

e2. apparently microsoft has some sort of surface announcement next month so maybe I'll just hold out to see what comes out anyways.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Sep 8, 2018

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Weird, I logged back in and it seemed to be working for a bit, but after a bit of trying to find a working coupon code it eventually started redirecting everything b&n related to a maintenance page at https://www.lenovo.com/maintenance/500page.html. Wonder if they're just having issues in general today.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, a surface book 2 sounds like my dream laptop, but it gets just enough complaints that I'm not sure about it.

Going to go fondle a bunch of stuff at bestbuy today to try and decide if I even need a 13" laptop at this point anyways.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

After seeing the 9575 (2in1 XPS15) at bestbuy I decided that a 15" laptop with thin bezels would be more than manageable and ordered a loaded refurb 9570 from dell :toot:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Refurb 9570 xps15 showed up today, loving it so far. Only reason it doesn't feel like a brand new laptop is the refurb sticker on the bottom and the lack of originally packaging that it shipped in.

Hopefully this will handle the next few years of coding and troubleshooting work I plan on throwing at it :toot:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

or sell your old laptop and get one with the screen you want

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, my xps15 with the 4k screen has been getting around 6-7 hours of use on battery, so it sounds similar.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

My xps15 has been good for light gaming in the hotel when i'm on business trips, but yeah, I bought it because I wanted a thin and compact (for a 15") laptop that'd be tough and let me do poo poo like run autocad while literally in a mine.

The real problem with it is that the last bios update made the touchscreen stop responding after going into sleep randomly and I'm stuck waiting for an update to fix that :thunk:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

NewFatMike posted:

My first setup wasn't working every time, so I rescanned my finger and it's doing much better.

This and updating the driver/bios made my XPS from flaky to perfect every time

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

I am thinking of buying a laptop around black friday. I'm particularly interested in using it for programming, and 3D modeling. I would prefer a lighter laptop. I have a laptop for work that is 8 lbs and I don't like carrying it around. I'm also leaning towards Lenovo because they seem to last awhile. I did read the OP, but going on the Lenovo web page there's so many options. I'm not currently sure of my price range. I would like it to be nice and last. Any suggestions?

if you need a dedicated graphics card but want something smallish an xps15 might be worth looking at, it's going to be heavier than a 13 but mine seems small enough to fit into all the same bags and whatnot that I've carried my MBA and MBPs around in before.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Unsinkabear posted:

Here you go: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X1-Extreme-i5-FHD-GTX-1050-Ti-Max-Q-Laptop-Review.339576.0.html

According to them it's just okay. Subjectively, I like the 1080p display a lot. There's two different screens you can get on it (yay parts lotteries, thanks Lenovo) so it's possible mine is better than the one Notebookcheck got. I am having some severe stability issues with my Extreme, but I'm not seeing that reported anywhere else so I think I just got real unlucky.

For me, the weirdly hard-to-find information on the X1 Extreme is how many lanes the TB3 port has.

XPS 15 people: how far can you open your hinge? I can't find that info anywhere and I'm used to Thinkpads that open to a full 180° for resting on your knees in bed. I'm thinking of returning this thing and getting an XPS 15, but I would like something that can at least open to 135° and I thought I remembered someone bitching about that on the Dells.

I just measured and the 9750 only goes to 130 degrees

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Buy a Mac I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Did a cable get bumped while you were in there swapping the battery?