Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I’ve been planning on building a desktop for the last few months, and now that I start to actually look for parts and see firsthand how hard it is to actually get a new GPU, I’ve decided I should also just get a laptop instead. I’m mainly using it to make music, or to be specific I use Ableton Live, and a bunch of different plug ins/VSTs, so I assume that the most important things to get would be like CPU and SSD, and RAM. I’m not completely uninterested in getting a decent graphics card, because I’ve been learning how to use Blender and Unity, and I guess I’d also like to be able to play Half Life: Alyx on it someday, but I don’t currently have a VR headset for PC.

All of the guides or articles on building a PC for audio stuff have basic recommendations for certain parts for desktops, but can someone recommend a laptop for less than 1300 or 1400 that would be able to run Ableton Live and a bunch of instances of whatever intensive plug ins without any trouble, which I know is doable on a much lower budget. I’d also like to have fast, maybe 1 TB SSD, and another HDD would be nice, but not super necessary. Screen size isn’t super important, but I’d prefer something about 15-17 inches, basically bigger than 13”.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Mar 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Lockback posted:

Ok, that helps. It was kinda tough when someone says "I like the ROG, and don't want anything less nice but not a ROG", there isn't much headroom.

You might like the ROG G15, its bigger (15.6) but no numbpad though. Something like this maybe?
https://smile.amazon.com/Zephyrus-Gaming-GeForce-Windows-GA502IU-ES76/dp/B0863S8HJ3

This is a ridiculous good deal if you want a 17" (I don't like 17" screen but if this is mostly living on a desk it might be a good fit)
https://www.costco.com/msi-gf75-thin-gaming-laptop---10th-gen-intel-core-i7-10750h---geforce-rtx-3060---144hz-1080p.product.100736982.html

These two look really nice actually, for the price, especially the latter.. I wish both didn’t have backlit keyboards and logos on the back, but it’s whatever, either of them would basically live on my desk. I see the G15 from Amazon has the option to pick an Intel Core i7 9750H instead that comes in a silver case, but it still has the ugly logo on the back, plus it’s nearly $300 more and I don’t think the black case is bad really, but the red still stands out quite a bit.

I know this is dumb, and I might just get the Costco one if I can get a hold of my parents for their Costco membership info, but I’d really prefer laptops that didn’t look like ‘gaming’ laptops, with RGB lights, or giant weird looking logos on them, even moreso if both are bright red or whatever like these. If I bought that MSI laptop, would there be any way to modify it so it didn’t have a bright red (aren’t most keyboards backlit anyways, just like, white instead of red?), and maybe a replacement lid that just had an MSI logo? I could put a sticker over it of some kind, but I think it might just look worse.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I went to Costco looking for that MSI with the 3060, but they only had the gtx 1650 ti version of that model, but I found this laptop for $1199 and it’s priced at $1350 basically everywhere else online. https://www.newegg.com/p/2WC-000C-0...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds
MSI GE75 Raider
(Intel i7-10750H 6-Core, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD + 1TB HDD, 17.3" Full HD (1920x1080), NVIDIA RTX 2060)

Which seems like just as good of a deal, if not better than the one with the 3060 posted on the last page, but I don’t know anything about computer parts really. But I was tempted to get it today, might go back tomorrow to get it though..

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Lockback posted:

That's the 2060, you sure it wasn't this?
https://www.costco.com/msi-ge75-raider-gaming-laptop---10th-gen-intel-core-i7-10750h---geforce-rtx-2070---1080p.product.100684982.html

That's a pretty good deal for a 2070, though if you plan on mobile gaming the 2070 will suck battery a lot faster than the 2060.

If you really want a 17" that's real good.

Whoops, you’re right, the one they have at Costco is the 2070, same deal and price online. And yeah, I don’t really care about battery life, and don’t mind a 17”, it’s basically going to live on my desk and I’ll also take it to work occasionally. But I’ve never had a laptop with a good battery life, at least not one that didn’t eventually need to basically be plugged in all the time, but yeah either way it’s not a huge concern.