Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enahs
Jan 1, 2010

Grow up.
I'm looking to buy a laptop for general college use and some gaming. The most intense game I plan to play is Final Fantasy XIV and I am content with low settings. I put together a laptop on the lenovo site but it's been a long time since I've built any kind of computer so I have a few questions. The laptop specs are:

ThinkPad T430 - 1 Year Depot Topseller Warranty ($929.00)
Part number: 2342CTO
Edit configuration | Remove | Add to wishlist
Estimated ship date: 8/5/13**
+/- Configuration details
• Intel Core i5-3230M Processor (3.20GHz, 3MB Cache, 1600MHz) with Intel HD Graphics 4000
• Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit)
• Windows 7 Home Premium 64 - English
• 14.0" HD+ (1600 x 900) LED Backlit AntiGlare Display, Mobile Broadband Ready
• Intel HD Graphics 4000
• 4 GB DDR3 - 1600MHz (1 DIMM)
• Keyboard Backlit - US English
• 720p HD Camera with Microphone
• 500GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm
• DVD Recordable
• Express Card Slot & 4-in-1 Card Reader
• 6 Cell Li-Ion TWL 70+
• 90W AC Adapter - US (2pin)
• Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 AGN
• Mobile Broadband upgradable
• Publication - US English

My questions are the following:

-I know that early on in the thread it was mentioned that the screen on T430 is bad, specifically the viewing angle and black levels. How noticeable would this be for someone who has mainly used desktops for the last 10 years? For reference, my current desktop monitor is an ASUS VW224.
-Would upgrading the video card to (NVIDIA NVS 5400M Graphics with Optimus Technology, 1GB DDR3 Memory) have a significant impact on what I want to use it for? Would it run very hot/loud with this upgrade?
-I am planning to upgrade the RAM myself, is it better to buy 2 4GB sticks from the same company or can I just buy 1 and leave the current one in there?
-How would I get the best discount on this? There's a coupon code on the lenovo site for 12% off, bringing the price down to $817.52. Is there a better code to use?

If there's anything horrible about this that I've missed, please let me know. I'm not expecting super awesome performance for my price range ($1000), but I would like to get a decent machine for my needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enahs
Jan 1, 2010

Grow up.

Is there any idea how much a baseline T440 will cost when they come out? I can put this off for a few months if it's going to be that much of an improvement.

enahs
Jan 1, 2010

Grow up.
I'm starting graduate school in chemistry in August and I have some computational and molecular modeling software that I would like to install and my current desktop is on its last legs. Ideally I'd like something that would let me play casual games like diablo 3, hearthstone, and league of legends on low settings and be lightweight and portable so I can bring it in to work to have access to my computational software. The yoga 2 was discussed a few pages back in the thread and looked like a good fit for what I need. My budget is around $1000, though I can go a bit higher if necessary. I used the B&N gold link and I managed to get the yoga 2 pro down to $1099, but I was wondering if there's anything better than that.

I also looked at the T440s, upgraded to the IPS display, 8 GB RAM, and 256 GB SSD for $1300. Is that worth the extra price? I'm mostly going to be using my laptop as a laptop, so the convertible features on the yoga aren't really a selling point for me. Does anyone know if the T440s runs particularly hot or loud? Is there any appreciable difference in size/weight if I went with the 6 cell rear battery over the 3 cell rear battery? It's only $5 more and if it improves battery life with little/no change in size/shape, I'd definitely take that.

Basically I'm looking for a recommendation of whether I should take the Yoga 2 or the T440s, and if anyone has any info on the T440s I'd appreciate it, I'm not that familiar with laptops.

enahs fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 31, 2014

enahs
Jan 1, 2010

Grow up.

Chakron posted:

I can't speak to the Yoga 2 but I did recently buy a T440s, and love it.

Obviously, get nothing less than the 1920x1080 display. The touchscreen is actually pretty awesome and I find myself using it a lot on Windows 7. There are also some reports here and there that the usually AUO-made touchscreen looks better than the usually LG-made non-touchscreen, but YMMV. Do not go to the Lenovo website and buy 8 gigs of RAM and a 256 GB SSD, buy and install those parts yourself (just take it up to 12 gigs of RAM). Opening up the case is a little odd but just pick up one of those $3 spudgers if you're concerned about leaving any marks. The 6 cell rear battery will make the laptop slightly heavier and will stick out of the bottom rather than the back. Kind of like having the back of your keyboard slightly elevated while you type. I just use the 3 cell internal + 3 cell rear and can make it through a full day of meetings just fine.

Edit: If you're using the B&N link and in the US, if you stick with the 4200U Processor and select the SSHD as your hard drive option (which is actually cheaper because it will remove the 16gb SSD Cache in the 2nd M.2 slot), you're looking at $947.43/$1104.03 for non-touch/touch, respectively. Buy 8 gigs of compatible RAM for $80 and stick an SSD in there.

Thanks a lot for this, I might get the touchscreen after all. I'll definitely buy the RAM and SSD myself, I didn't know how much of a hassle it would be to take the laptop apart and install things.

enahs
Jan 1, 2010

Grow up.
It looks like this is what I'm planning to get. I opted for the non-touchscreen because the price was getting to be a bit too much, and I can't see myself using it very often. If there's anything that looks wrong/terrible, let me know.

+/- Configuration details
• 4th Gen Intel Core i5-4200U Processor (3MB Cache, up to 2.60GHz)
• Windows 8.1 64
• Windows 8.1 64 - English
• 14.0" FHD IPS With WWAN
• Intel HD Graphics 4400 with docking connector
• 4 GB DDR3L - SDRAM 1600MHz Base
• Keyboard Backlit - US English
• Fingerprint Reader
• 720p HD Camera
• SSHD 500GB5400 8GB Cache
• ThinkPad Battery 3 cell Li-Polymer (23.2Whr) Front
• ThinkPad Battery 3 cell Li-Polymer (23.2Whr) Rear
• 45W AC Adapter - US (2pin)
• Intel Dual Band Wireless 7260AC with Bluetooth 4.0
• Integrated Mobile Broadband upgradable
• Publication - US English
• 1 Year Depot or Carry-in

I upgraded the wireless chip through Lenovo, would it be easier to buy that separately and install myself? I don't know anything about wireless chips but I figured I should go with the better one. I am also buying RAM, the SSD, and a cable lock from amazon.

Crucial 8GB Single DDR3 1600 MT/s (PC3-12800) CL11 SODIMM 204-Pin 1.35V/1.5V Notebook Memory CT102464BF160B by Crucial

Samsung Electronics 840 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Single Unit Version Internal Solid State Drive MZ-7TE500BW by Samsung

Kensington 64068F MicroSaver Notebook Lock and Security Cable (PC/Mac) by Kensington

The price from Lenovo is $964.83 and from Amazon is $357.86 bringing the sum total to $1322.69 before tax, which is a bit more than I wanted to spend but the upgrades should justify spending the extra money. If anyone has any suggestions/criticisms, I am happy to hear them. Thanks for all the help. :)

enahs
Jan 1, 2010

Grow up.
I recently bought a t440s and I'm looking to buy a keyboard cover for it. Does anyone make covers designed for the t440s keyboard or am I stuck buying a universal one? If the latter, does anyone have any experience with universal covers and can make a recommendation? I just need something thin that will protect from dirt and crumbs and potential spills but not affect typing too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enahs
Jan 1, 2010

Grow up.
I'm a little bit of a neat freak, and anytime I see hairs/dust/particles between the keys it bothers me a little bit. And I've noticed the keys show a little bit of oil from my fingers after a couple of weeks of use, I'd just like something that is easier to clean than wiping down the keys and picking stuff out from between them.