Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

So I'm going to be buying a laptop in the near future mostly because my desktop has given up the ghost (most components are ~4 years old so upgrading is out of the question - brand-new construction is the answer) and my current lifestyle, which is with a +1 in a small apartment, precludes having a desktop in a separate office area.

I also travel with some amount of regularity, so I was looking for a gaming rig with some portability. With regards to this, how do the Razer Blade and its larger sibling, the Razer Blade Pro stack up, and will they be updated soon? Also, are there any comparable/superior products at that same power/weight ratio? My limit is $2,500.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Hadlock posted:

I would never buy something from someone who gave a presentation on a :pcgaming:gaming laptop:pcgaming: but if it's never going to leave the hotel then that shouldn't matter.

Nor would I. It will be a gaming laptop through and through. It wouldn't make so many business trips as it would personal trips when I could conveniently leave the work lappy back at home.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Jesus, that GT 755m SLI option on the Lenovo is amazing. Looked at the benchmarks, and the GTX 770m is actually inferior as a single card. Plus, anything that comes with the 770m standard is much, much more expensive.

It goes without saying, then, that it beats the pants off of the 765m that the Razer comes standard with.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

mobby_6kl posted:

Well holy loving poo poo, I had no idea the GTX755m is an Ultrabay accessory! Are they compatible with any Thinkpads? Because sliding in a GTX 755 or Quadro whatever into my T520 (or another compatible model, at least) would be just about the best thing ever. I really like the Ultrabay and it's a shame there aren't more accessories out for them - even the numpad has been discontinued, apparently in favor of messing up the keyboards, but w/e.

Yeah, screw the Razer Blade. I'm not really purchasing this for battery life, and I theoretically could take an Ideapad into a business meeting without too many guffaws. Plus, I'll never break the bank at $1,400 which includes a warranty for the expected life of the laptop (3 years). That's $1,000 less than the Blade Pro.

Here are some of the GT 755m SLI specs:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-755M-SLI.106493.0.html

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-Graphic-Cards.13849.0.html

Am I crazy for wanting a y510p right now, or is something else in the $1400 price range a better option?

Edit: Bought it. Looking at the specs, I think I'm going to be a very happy man. And a much wealthier one to boot. Thanks, laptop thread!

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Dec 3, 2013

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

QuarkJets posted:

SLI used to be one of the 4 options for the Y410p until they realized that the only people buying SLI laptops were also upgrading to the Y510p. It's the same video card into ultrabay idea that they do with the Y510p, I'm pretty sure you just have to buy the second video card separately now.

e: That said, I still think that SLI is unnecessary, the built-in GPU handles everything great

It's a matter of taste/preference. I'm absolutely certain that in most cases, it's probably unnecessary. For me, I wanted to buy a laptop that was more powerful than my desktop that is 4/2 years old (as in the basic frame is four years old, but some of the upgraded parts are two). After researching it, the 765m offered by the Blade was not superior to the Radeon HD 6870 I have stashed away in my desktop, which means that the 755m isn't either. In SLI, though, it is more powerful by a longshot (and more powerful than the 770m that usually comes singly on much more expensive gaming laptops. Paired with an infinitely better processor, the Y510p with SLI is easily one of the most affordable and practical desktop replacements out there. It seriously cost me only ~$1300 on sale, and I picked up an option to extend the warranty to three years and include accidental damage coverage for a song, comparatively speaking.

In other words, it did everything I needed it to do. Beat the pants off my old desktop, be more than capable enough to handle the next three years of gaming, be capable of going with me wherever I end up going, and not break my bank. The Y510p is probably one of the most incredible deals in terms of buying a gaming laptop and I feel that it goes unrecognized in this capacity by either media outlets/the general public.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

QuarkJets posted:

"I wanted my laptop to be more powerful than my desktop" is a stupid reason to go with the SLI configuration, but do whatever you want.

To each their own. It went a long way to helping me feel that my investment was worth it as I dismantle the desktop and sell off its working parts (the CPU died, I believe - it no longer finishes posting. Part of the reason for buying the laptop is that I realized that building a new desktop from the ground-up would cost about the same/more and I wanted something roughly equivalent/a little more powerful with the convenience of a laptop because it's a much better fit for my lifestyle right now than a desktop). All things considered, I feel that the point you made is completely valid.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Dec 4, 2013

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

tijag posted:

Are there any recommendations for a laptop bag? Y510p is the computer. I need/want to take a wired mouse with me. Also need some personal storage space in the bag [pad of paper, pen, some prescription bottles, keys, wallet, sunglasses].

I looked for a megathread on the subject since it seems like there would be one, but I didn't find it.

I don't know if you're looking for a messenger bag or a backpack (I recommend backpacks because that way you distribute weight over both of your shoulders), but my girlfriend bought an ECBC Hercules backpack and it is amazing. Very solidly built, holds a heck of a lot of stuff (she took at least a whole change of clothes in the bag along with other things), is comfortable, and if you find yourself traveling through airports often the ability to just fold down the laptop compartment and send the whole pack through is just plain nice.

http://www.ec-bc.com/backpacks/k7-backpacks/hercules-laptop-backpack-k7102/

http://www.techhive.com/article/2041611/review-the-hercules-is-another-stand-out-bag-from-ecbc.html

I would've considered getting one myself if I hadn't inherited a so-so backpack that does the job, at the very least.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Dec 5, 2013

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Imaduck posted:

Am I right in thinking that nothing even comes close to the Razer Blade in portability when looking at gaming laptops? It has some features that I'm not crazy about, but portability+power is really my biggest concern, and everything else seems to be at least twice as thick with less than half the battery life...

Nothing comes close to it in terms of cost, certainly :)

Initially, I was looking at a Razer Blade/Blade Pro. The various models that people will recommend to you come with their own sets of drawbacks and benefits. For example:

Y510P
Benefits: Powerful (2x GT 755m > GTX 770, and even the 755m alone is more than enough to handle most current games at decent settings), good resolution (1920x1080), lots of storage space (up to 1 TB), decent RAM cache (up to 16 GB), very affordable price ($1200 or below).
Drawbacks: Not exactly portable (~6 lbs, good luck getting decent battery life running two graphics cards), all that storage space is not SSD (but there is a decent sized SS cache of 24 GB that will shorten boot-up times).

Razer Blade
Benefits: Powerful with limits - the display is limited to 1600x900 on purpose in order to improve frame rates, but will still beat the pants off anything running integrated graphics, SSD is standard, very much portable (4.1 lbs, great battery life especially for a laptop that is 'gaming' oriented)
Drawbacks: Not terrifically affordable, 256 GB standard SSD is easy to fill up quickly

When it came down to it, the most convincing argument that influenced my decision was posed by QuarkJets:

QuarkJets posted:

Have you considered something like the Y410p/Y510p? I absolutely love gaming on my Y410p. It can handle any modern game (which would put it maybe slightly behind the latest Razer, hardware-wise) but costs less than $1000.

And consider this: for $2k you can buy a sweet Razer laptop that will be a heavy pain in the rear end to use anywhere without an outlet and will be worthless in 3 years. For less than $1k you can buy an efficient but powerful Y410p that will be worthless in about the same time (2-3 years), but then with the savings you can buy the newest gaming sub-$1k hotness and still be way ahead money-wise and hardware-wise than if you had just bought the Razer.

Basically what I'm saying is that those $2k+ Razer laptops are designed and marketed to part fools from their money and very few people actually need them. That said, some people find the better build/screen quality and the logo to be worth the extra $1500+, so YMMV

Again though, to each their own. You'll have to weigh the costs of everything appropriately and with regards to how you will see yourself using it. Personally, I don't typically game on a laptop unless I'm plugged into something - so portability in terms of battery life is not really a huge factor for me since it never becomes a huge issue, and six pounds to me is very manageable for a laptop. On the other hand, if your lifestyle dictates that you'll be out of contact with a socket for a decent amount of time and you'd like to do some light gaming, then a laptop that's $2000+ but only four pounds with OK battery life just might be worth the cost.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Dec 6, 2013

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Martytoof posted:

I'm still not really sure there's a dirtbag in this story. I agree that it's a notable event that happened in the laptop market, but nobody's a saint in this business. It's business and business gets done.

I guess I hope this doesn't come across as white knighting Apple or anything. They're definitely throwing their weight around, but it's not like any other company in their position with an ounce of sense wouldn't.

I like to think of it this way - in order to Apple to do that, Intel had to have extracted quite the pound of flesh from them to do so. Apple also has unusually high profit margins per unit sold, which circumvents needing the dominant market share. If this cuts into their lovely profit margins for something that might not be all that worth it (in terms of price/performance, I already think they're not the best value but the build quality is unquestionable - my PowerBook G4 from 2005 still works, and the only things that don't work are because of personal damage I accidentally inflicted on the backlight inverter), so much the better.

EDIT: Also, if that Anandtech article is correct (which it is certainly more correct than I), then by extension we all sort of benefit from an increased emphasis on integrated graphics as a result of Apple's demands on Intel. Not such a bad flip side.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 6, 2013

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

My Y510P just came in, and about the only thing I really dislike about it is the trackpad and the fact that the mouse buttons are not distinct/separate and built into the pad. Other than that, it's a beautiful machine and meets all my needs.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Two questions:

1. Is there any reason to get a laptop cooler?
2. If so, which one is 'the best' considering my laptop? (Lenovo y510p)

The reason why I am asking is because I know my lappy's main GPU runs pretty drat hot when gaming, and my paranoia about frying components is starting to be piqued, especially considering that it's summertime and my apartment's temperature is hovering in the 78-80 degrees Fahrenheit range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

shrughes posted:

I mean if you're paranoid about temperatures, and if lowering temperatures will help, or let the machine run faster, or produce less wear and tear on the laptop's fan, or give more lifetime to the electronics, then yeah. It's a choice with positive value for you.

Great - that's what I needed to know. Anything that gives lifetime to a laptop certainly has value to me.

Does the GoonMind (tm) have a consensus on which one is best?

Bob Morales posted:

Do they cool the laptop or are they more for not burning your legs?

This is almost certainly for cooling the laptop. I keep it on a desk/countertop when I'm using it heavily, and take it to the couch when I'm just idly surfing/working.