Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010

z06ck posted:

https://www.system76.com/laptops/model/galu1

This laptop looks solid, any complaints you guys see? I just want a high res 13-14" laptop with an ips screen.

edit: and It won't be running Windows(or ubuntu) if you care.

That is a Clevo W740SU underneath, I believe. Given that it's a clevo, I'm unsure how well the build quality will hold up, but drat that thing looks impressive on paper (1080p matte + Iris Pro).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010
If anyone is interested Lenovo has for some reason put up the T440s manual on their support site already at http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?DocID=UM018201 . The manual mentions NFC and Multi Touch on "some models"

EDIT: Also mentions M.2, but specifically for LAN/WAN cards, not solid state storage.

mmm11105 fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jul 24, 2013

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010

Cream_Filling posted:

The T440s and similar models are moving to the M.2 next gen form factor for SSDs. Which is fine, I guess, except basically nobody makes them yet.

Annoyingly the T440s only has space for a 40mm M.2 drive, which are meant for caching and currently cap out at 64GB

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010
Can anyone with a ~14" 1080p laptop weigh in on how font/icons sizes are? Looking at the T440p and wondering if the 14" 1080p screen might make things a little too small.

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010
I just ordered a HP Elitebook 840 G1, since they had a pricing error that I hope they honour. $1099 for 3 yr warranty, i7-4600U, 256gb SSD, 1080p screen, magnesium body).

Did I make a huge mistake (a.k.a should I cancel)

EDIT: Cancelled it, decided I'd rather not make a $1000 investment without having any reviews

mmm11105 fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 2, 2013

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010
I chatted with an HP rep, that is a pricing error, it will be changed and all orders cancelled.

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010

Martytoof posted:

Do we know when the T440 is supposed to hit?

At this point I think battery life shot up to my primary concern in a Thinkpad and by god I'm gonna haswell that poo poo up. I might just borrow a laptop from someone for work until I can get a T440 :(

T440 + T440s should be out in mid-late october, probably shortly after the Windows 8.1 launch. T440p (which is OF COURSE the one I want) is I think targeted for early-mid november.

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010

tijag posted:

If I want a 15" laptop with the i7-4850MQ chip and 16GB RAM/512GB SSD, it seems like the new MBP isn't really even overpriced.

There isn't much available that has similar specs, and what is out there costs about as much and doesn't have the build quality. If I'm willing to overpay to get the top of the line stuff, is there even another option outside of the new MBP's?

The T440p that's coming out soon will have an i7 Quad option, though Lenovo charges through the nose for SSDs. If you're willing to put the SSD/RAM in yourself though you could get in well under the MBPs price.

Though it is 14" and doesn't have a retina screen. Maybe check out the W540 whenever it comes out, it has a super high res screen + a quad core

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010
About to pull the trigger on a T440p. i7-4700MQ, GT730M, FHD screen, AC wireless $1312 through B&N. Mostly for programming and school/campus use, some video editing. Am I making a terrible mistake? It doesn't seem that much thicker/heavier than the T440s and I like the full volt processors.

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010

shrughes posted:

Note that the T440p is probably 4.7 lbs. It says 4.7 lbs under "Tech Specs" and says 4.1 lbs on the side bar, which is probably a transcription error. It also says 4.7 lbs in PDF files and other locations.

That still doesn't seem that bulky, though I guess I won't know until I get it in my hands. My only concern is the cooling, with a i7MQ and discrete graphics, it might be a little hot.

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010

P.N.T.M. posted:

That is a recipe for more than just a "little video editing."

You are going to love it, but in my opinion it will take a lot more than light editing to get your money's worth. If you work that build, you could squeeze a Senior Thesis out of it without much trouble.

That processor is outrageous :3:

Yeah but I wanted the 730M anyways, so the crazy processor was only $100 more. Since I want to try to ~4 years, I figured it would be good future proofing.

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010
I just went ahead and ordered it, so I guess I get to be SA's guinea pig on the T440p.

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010
The ship date on my T440p just got pushed up to Nov. 3. Hopefully it's worth the $1300

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010

Tavistock posted:

I'm looking for a thin laptop, .5-ish in, that has a 13 in screen with pretty high dpi. Will a laptop like this be had for $1200? Can I save money by not getting windows because I don't really need it?

I've had pretty poo poo laptops for years so game performance at max settings isn't important but I'd like to be able to play source engine games (my current computer can't 2d side scrollers). I assume this will not be a problem for a laptop that fits these specs.

From what I gather a haswell would fit my use case because I'm always plugged in. Is there any compelling reasons other than battery life to pay extra for a haswell.

Yoga 2 Pro, if you don't mind 0.61"

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010
I ordered the official Lenovo HDD Caddy for my T440p (So I could put the factory HDD in to complement my SSD). Somehow the Hard Drive is WAY to loose in the adapter, IBM has no idea why, sayas to just return the adapter. Does anyone know if any of the third party ones are good? Or how I could shim this one up?

Photos: http://imgur.com/a/DSbo9

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010

shrughes posted:

That is a different adaptor that looks different than the W520 adaptor I have, but my theory is that they're designed for bumpered HDDs like the W520's seems to be. I only put SSDs in mine and used cardboard to shim them in.

I called IBM and they said that as of the T440p they don't have bumpers on the HDD anymore, the bumper is not even a potential part listed for the laptop of the caddy. But it does seem that way to me.

Does anyone know if the ultrabay in the T440p is SATA 3???

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010

Inimical posted:

I've read through the OP and a lot of the last few pages, but I'm hoping you guys might have some suggestions for my specific situation.

I would like to get a laptop that will serve as my primary computer for the next 3 years or so, longer if possible. Budget isn't set in stone, but I would like to not exceed ~$1200 if possible. At home I would like to use it with some kind of docking station (any thoughts on this product? http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-UD-3000-Universal-2048x1152-Ethernet/dp/B008N06I2I/). It will stay at home about 75% of the time.

Mandatory requirements:
  • Windows (I need to be able to easily run office 2010/13)
  • Better resolution than 1366x768 (I would like 1600x900 at minimum)
  • Screen size between ~12.5 - 15ish
  • Doesn't weigh a ton

Other priorities (from most to least important):
  1. Battery life
  2. Capable of dual monitor output via docking station
  3. Boot drive performance (SSD?)
  4. Storage space (would like to have 512GB or more, so maybe I should get a laptop with one of those small 16GB SSD things?)
  5. Good amount of RAM
  6. CPU power (I very occasionally do some video editing)

For this computer I couldn't care less about gaming, so the video card doesn't really matter unless it would prevent me from outputting to dual monitors.

I really like the looks of the lenovo laptops and have had good experiences with them in the past, but I'm having a hard time figuring out which specific one would be best for me. Some of them look promising but have really negative reviews, some look great but don't seem to have screen resolutions better than 1366x768, etc.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Try the B&N Lenovo Link (Should be in the OP), and see if you can configure either a T440s (if you value slimness/battery life/SSD cache) or a T440p (if you value POWER) with the 1080p screen under your budget. I have a T440p myself, and the screen is FANTASTIC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010
Anyone have any experiences with the new Thinkpad Docks (for a T440p)? Worth the premium over a USB3.0 docking station?