Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precedence
Jun 28, 2010

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Just came to post this.
That SLI 750s has to be a misprint, right? That would be some sweet gaming power in a small form factor if it's not.

But no yoga. God drat it.

wow, that's crazy. it would *sorta* make sense, the y500 has SLI 650m's. The new razer blade is 14 inches and super thin, so maybe that's where things are headed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precedence
Jun 28, 2010

Gobbeldygook posted:

Someone asked about external GPU's a few pages back and got unfairly shot down. DIY external GPU's are totally a thing and an option worth considering. Yes, even with just an ExpressCard port. You're looking at spending about ~$140+whatever you want to spend on a full-size desktop video card to able to have your cake and eat it too.

I did this for a little while. I wouldn't do it again. It was expensive, but it did work relatively well for what it was. It was mainly cool because I had a GPU duck-taped to the side of my desk.

precedence
Jun 28, 2010

EX250 Type R posted:

I am beginning to shop for a new "laptop" and I have basically two requirements. I want to play BF3 on it and watch blu rays. I work a job that leaves me with a fiber connection and 12 boring hours to kill with no "supervision" as far as playing games and such. My last gaming laptop I bought in 2008 so it is long in the tooth but I got 5 years out of it.

I was thinking about the GX60 or 70, still undecided what screen size I want, with the 8970m but I don't know how to feel about the A10-5750m processor. Price wise it seems like the best way to go about it though.

Any ideas?

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gx60-gaming-laptop-radeon-hd-7970m,3478-8.html

seems to run BF3 fine. But note that the A10-5750m is about as fast as a last gen i3 mobile chip. If I were you I'd probably go for a lenovo y500.

precedence
Jun 28, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

Has anyone used a Vidock (http://www.villageinstruments.com/tiki-index.php?page=ViDock) On a computer with no graphics card but a good processor. Was it cheaper? More expensive? Was there a power hit? I can't find much info on it, and I'm wondering if it might be a smart buy.

it's a cool parlor trick, but more expensive than it's worth. It works okay with some games, but I would recommend just get a cheap desktop and put a gpu in it over vidock.

precedence
Jun 28, 2010

MonkeyFit posted:

Looking for:
  • Around $2,000
  • Powerful
  • Build quality
  • <2" in thickness to fit in the rack

depending on how "powerful" you are after, you could take a look at the lenovo y50. with that you could stay closer to 1000 and it's still reasonably laptop sized. There's also the Asus G751 if you want to go all out. The G751 should only be 1.7 inches thick at it's thickest part, might be good to verify that though.

precedence
Jun 28, 2010

SYSV Fanfic posted:

My x250 came with windows 8 pre-installed. If I upgrade to windows 10, will I keep all the power plans and trackpad gestures, or at least are they available on Lenovo's site? I'm worried about losing battery life and the on screen lock indicators and such. It's a pretty polished experience, so I don't want to rock the boat too much.

I would wait until you see the drivers on lenovo's site for windows 10. I upgraded to windows 10 with a u310 touch and the trackpad and touchscreen went to crap. So I downgraded to 8.1 and things went back to normal after un-corrupting some files that got messed up in the process. So you can test it out if you want to, but i'd wait.

precedence
Jun 28, 2010

MikeJF posted:

Razer's new ultrabook is interesting: standard high-spec i7 ultrabook with the usual intel graphics, usb-c connected external box that takes a standard desktop graphics card (and can push to the laptop display from the external graphics if you want). Hopefully it's the first of a trend. And hopefully the solution actually works.

The ultrabook itself is priced like a XPS 13, which isn't bad. and the UHD is 100% adobe RGB. I guess we'll see how expensive the external graphics is.

precedence
Jun 28, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

I sit in agony as I wait for users at work to reboot their machines.

HOW DO YOU LIVE LIKE THIS

SSDs are nice, but are mainly nice when booting up. Otherwise things still have loading screens, they are just faster. Sure my boot time is now like 20 seconds instead of 1 minute, but that only affects me once a month at most. SSDs are a nice luxury, but the difference was not nearly as large as this thread makes it seem. I get that saving seconds here and there really adds up, but unless you are hypersensitive to every moment of your life or you are a terminal lifehacker, I just don't get this. Maybe I just spend too much time multi-tasking to notice the difference because anytime I launch something I'm probably doing something else while doing that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precedence
Jun 28, 2010

SinineSiil posted:

Right click menus take time to open with HDD...

I just tested this on my platter drives and at 7200 RPMS the first right click took not even half a second, which isn't enough time for me to even notice. The only time I've ever felt like explorer was slow was when using network drives because of network latency. I feel like you guys were using the worst platter drives all time prior to SSDs. I think for the average human being SSDs are a slight upgrade at best.

I just remember launching a game with a 45 second load screen on an HDD for the first time on my SSD and when it didn't skip the load screen entirely I felt like I was shortchanged. don't get me wrong the load screen was way shorter, but I still had time to check out some dank memes while it loaded for 10 seconds.