Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I have a Dell G3 3579 I got on sale a while ago. Replaced the HDD with an SSD. Picked up two sticks of 16GB ram and... won’t boot with them.

Used Crucial’s system scanner and bought the 8GB stick of RAM and it won’t boot with it either.

Boots fine with the factory RAM reinstalled. ANy advice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Did you buy 1.5v RAM when it needs 1.35v? I've seen Crucial's site make mistakes before.

I will double check in the morning. I always get so hung up on matching MHz I never think about that part.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Atomizer posted:

So then I'll stick with the Helios 300 recommendation then. You can get a mid-range system like that for around $1k. The next step up might be something with a 1660 Ti, but definitely not for as low as the Helios is now. Going to the $1-1.5k range will open up more options (e.g. the 3rd-gen Helios 300 is $1.1k.)

Watch out for those. I bought one and was very lucky amazon has a good return policy, because it straight up stopped turning on after three days and I wasn’t the only one having that problem.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Atomizer posted:

You can get a solid mid-range system (e.g. i7, 1060/1660 Ti) for around $1k. Her budget could step her up to a 1070 or 2060, but there are other factors like portability, cooling, display (mainly refresh rate) other specs (like RAM and storage which may or may not have to be upgraded) and of course what kind of games she wants to play (if it's casual stuff then spending the extra $500 might not be worth it.)

I'm still going to stick with my typical recommendation of the Acer Helios 300, the 3rd generation of which I just recently posted about being for sale for under $1k. My brother's first-gen is still going strong after, what, 3 years?

The Helios 300 has great specs, but buy one from somewhere with a good return/replacement policy in case you get one of the bricks. Their tech support was useless and told me to find battery reset holes and battery clips that aren’t on the 3rd gen model and it was going to take close to a month to get it serviced. I just sent it back to amazon and got a different laptop instead. There’s something up with either the battery or the power ports on some from this year’s run.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ilkhan posted:

Does the current gen XPS13 not have a discrete GPU?

Even the higher-spec options have the intel integrated chip, no dedicated GPU.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

etalian posted:

DGPUs tend to be not really common for the 13" form factor.

Yeah, but I figured they’d have some 2 grand model with like a 1660 for people with more money than sense. Laptop would probably work better as a space heater than a laptop, but I thought it would be an option.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Helios 300’s have had a bit of a problem with either being DOA or bricking themselves within a week or two. Mine lasted three days and there’s still reviews going up on amazon about getting duds or having an unusable computer. I’d go with something from a different manufacturer that has the same specs. My HP Omen 15 has been doing just fine for me.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I looked this up and it doesn't seem to be all that common, I was able to find 4 reviews out of the 284 currently available for the 2019 model with this issue on Amazon, that's only around ~1.5% reporting this issue.

I counted 7 reviews on the 1 star just for straight up not powering on, and then there were more where it would turn on but blue screen repeatedly with use. They definitely have some severe QC problems. If you do buy one, I'd get it from amazon so you can just return it to them if/when it breaks in the first month, because the Acer tech support I got was terrible. Two hours on the phone being told to use ports and battery clips that weren't on that model before they agreed to send me a shipping label to mail it to a repair center. When they told me that it would be at least a two week turnaround I just said gently caress it and went for a refund through amazon.

EDIT: Correction- I posted this and noticed I missed two more pages of 1 star reviews and did a recount, bringing the total of "Will not turn on at all" reviews to 11.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Sep 25, 2019

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

huhwhat posted:

Considering modern game sizes, A 500GB SSD feels a little cramped since I get bored easily and often need to swap between games. Downloading the game I want to play or moving ones I've temporarily lost interest in over to the 5400rpm HDD takes too much time and planning. By the time the download's complete/I've freed up space, I might not want to play the game.

Part of my problem with running out of hard drive space is how many games are “forever” games these days. Division 2 and Destiny 2 come to mind, they both keep doing events and they’re fun to poke at it every week or so but each is about 100 gigs.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Spacedad posted:

-It's a desktop replacement so battery life is less important. I own a macbook air with great battery life for my general utility (and I also own an ipad with apple pencil for on the go drawing for that matter) - I need this desktop replacement more for being able to take with me to work whenever I move to another country or state for a gig. When I use it I will mainly be setting up in a spot as if it were a desktop PC.

-I will generally not be taking it to work every day because the place I work for supplies their own PCs. The laptop will be for home project work and taking to classes.

-The games I want to play include but are not limited to; borderlands 3, apex legends, fortnite, rust, and upcoming games like planet zoo & atomic heart.

Ideally I'd want one that has excellent thermals (for a power laptop) and overall performance vs battery life & portability. Its portability is mostly going to extend to when I pack it up to go on plane or road trips rather than being lugged to work, for the reasons mentioned above.

As stated, I will likely pair the laptop with one of these: https://us-store.wacom.com/product/wacom-cintiq-16-with-pro-pen-2#/undefined1

Given my specialized line of work, I don't need a 4k screen for anything I do and would favor 1080p high refresh rate gaming displays (or 1440p) over 4k.

The way 2D animators like me work is we have a dual screen 1080p setup; one display for extra toolbars and other things, one drawing tablet display for our main workspace. I typically work on a 22 inch screen like this - but there's a lot of pros I know who actually prefer to work on a 16 inch display due to the visual control and feel it gives them, so I should be just fine.

I have an HP Omen 15 that I dropped an extra 8GB of ram and a 1TB SSD into and I love it. It’s got a new i7 and a GeForce 1660 so it’s great as a desktop replacement and it’ll play all the games you mentioned at high/ultra at 60+ FPS.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Any other thoughts on the Omen? I have an Omen 15t on order from HP, it's the newer model with the less gamer-y all aluminum chassis but it won't arrive until the end of October.

It runs pretty hot, so you may want a cooling mat. I’ve found mine knocks like 10 degrees C off my operating temps. The T comes with the 16 GB of RAM, right? If that’s the case I would just drop a decent SSD into the 2.5inch spot (which is easy on the omens, the case doesn’t put up much of a fight) and call it a day. I really like mine.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The standard recommendation in that price range is the Acer Helios 300, but read/watch some reviews before buying, it's a good laptop but it has its flaws. You're sort of spoiled for choice in that price range so there are a lot of options, but all of them cut some corners somewhere, so you need to decide which ones you want cut and by how much.

I’ve recommended the HP Omen 15 and dropping in an extra 8 GB of RAM. Same price range, same specs, but it doesn’t have the awful QC problems the Helios does. Case isn’t as nice but I’d rather have a laptop where the insides work. It has some issues with heat but that seems pretty common across the board.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’m dropping another TB NBME drive into my laptop this week. Any other upgrades really worth making?
It’s got an i7 9750H, 16GB of RAM, a 256 GB NBME drive, a 1TB solid state drive, and a 1660GTX. I don’t even know if there’s anything else I can do to it short of doubling up the RAM to 32GB which seems kinda pointless.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ilkhan posted:

N*V*ME. Just because you did it twice. ;)

gently caress, my old job of selling medical exam reviews comes back to haunt my brain again!

I’ll look into the new thermal paste, my laptop does run pretty drat hot. I’d love it if there were laptop cooling mats that did a bit more on the active cooling side than “a gentle fan”.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
There’s no non-Max Q 2070 or 2080 laptops running around, right? Those are desktop-only at the moment?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

DrDork posted:

I have to say, though, I've been very pleased with the playability of games on my X1E with a 1650. Knowing the 1650 was weaker than a 1060 had me concerned, but so far it's been able to do pretty damned well at what I've thrown at it (FFXIV, Destiny 2, ESO).

The numbering for graphics cards is so annoying. I get what they’re doing, it’s basically the generation and low/medium/high end, but it still feels kind of needlessly complicated. Like, the 1080 is better than the 2060 for most things but it’s not like a layman is going to figure that out looking at tech specs.

And then the 2080 max-q is worse than the 1080ti, just because let’s make it more confusing for people.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Nov 10, 2019

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Statutory Ape posted:

I don't think most lay people would be comparing a 1080 and 2060 in the first place, either tbh

I mean, you’re not wrong, that’s just the first big discrepancy that came to mind.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Atomizer posted:

Oh, I'd totally recommend aiming for one of the true, solid mid-range (e.g. 1060+) options at under $1k, but again, if someone has a restrictive budget and/or insists on buying new, I've just presented a decent[ly spec'd] option. I haven't seen anything along the lines of $500 1050 Ti systems (e.g. Acer Nitro) unless I just haven't been looking (e.g. on eBay, although those were generally refurbs.)

I have to repeat, you often get what you pay for, and if someone can only afford ~$500, there should be an expectation of compromises. It's one thing to say the Asus TUF line is questionable, and I've never had one so I'll take that at face value, but unless you have an alternative right now, that's what's out there. I do agree that waiting for the holiday sales may yield a similar or better option, but in my experience gaming laptop sales are generally on specific models so you'd have to take what you can get. For example the 1st-gen Acer Helios 300 went down to $900 from the usual $1-1.1k, which is an even better deal, but if you didn't like that model then it's not like you could apply the discount to some other model you wanted that wasn't already on sale. (The 1st-gen version seemed solid and my brother's still works perfectly, but I'm aware that there are some potential reliability issues with the current 3rd or 4th gen version.)

I got a 1050ti Dell G3 back in February for 500 bucks when they did the president’s day sale, so getting something in that range is pretty doable. It sure was a laptop. It played most stuff on low/medium and I was fine with it until I grabbed something in the 1100 dollar range this summer.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

bull3964 posted:

I really don't need a mobile gaming rig as much as I like to tell myself I do since I have my Switch. The iGPU in the Ice Lake is more than sufficient to run a bunch of indy games if I should want anyways.

I used to love my Switch but ever since I got a proper gaming laptop I've only used it in dire circumstances. Most of the stuff that's not nintendo on the Switch is out for PC, and a proper PC can play anything a beefier console can AND plug into a TV or monitor. You lose playing games on the bus or at work, but a gaming laptop is one of my favorite buys in a long time.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
There's a coupon code for Alienware's mid range gaming laptop. The 550 dollars off means that it costs about as much as other mid-range gaming laptops. It's got a 1TB hybrid drive on top of the usual NVMe drives, but honestly I'd probably end up replacing that with an SSD anyway.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rock My Socks! posted:

I just ordered this refurbished from Dell Outlet, seems like a good budget gaming laptop for $450?
G5-5587
Core i5 8300H
GTX 1060 Max Q 6gb
8 gb DDR4
128gb SSD + 1tb hdd

Should the 1060 Max Q still be able to handle modern games at 1080p on medium?

My one suggestion with that is to replace the HDD with an SSD when you get a chance but yeah, that’ll play basically anything that’s out right now. I had the version with the 1050ti and I was able to at least get any game running, but your card is like 40 percent more powerful so it should have some room for bells and whistles.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rock My Socks! posted:

Thanks guys, I do plan to switch out the HDD with a 500gb SSD down the line.

I do probably need another 8gb for gaming right?

Need, no, want, probably. I had a weird amount of difficulty upgrading my Dell’s RAM situation. I would double check the specs of the RAM and it just would not boot up with the new sticks in. May have just been a problem with the laptop.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mu Zeta posted:

What are the specs of the Dell G3? The savings could be good if it's mostly staying indoors but I'm betting the screen is terrible.

I have the 3579 model number and the screen isn’t great. Feels way dimmer than my HP.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I have an HP Omen 15 and after dropping in a 1TB SSD and an extra 8 gigs of RAM it's pretty sweet, and that should still be in your price range if you find deals on parts. I originally ordered a Helios 300 but it bricked itself within three days so I had to return that and get something without rampant QC issues.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

DrDork posted:

Yeah, you can always force it through the control panels. Most laptops will set it for you automatically, since they, too, agree that gaming on battery is a wasted effort.

I can always tell when I accidentally unplug my computer because my frame rate will instantly go from like 90 to around 15.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

OoohU posted:

This only has a 60 hrz screen which means your not going to utilize the full power of your 1660ti... the Acer Predator Helios 300 is on sale on amazon right now and comes with a 144 hrz screen & better CPU but only a 256gb nvme drive.

Acer Predator Helios 300 Gaming Laptop PC, 15.6 inches Full HD 144Hz 3ms IPS Display, Intel i7-9750H, GTX 1660 Ti 6GB, 16GB DDR4, 256GB PCIe NVMe SSD, Backlit Keyboard, PH315-52-78VL https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QXLFLXT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_HJx4Db6ZS54JT

This is considered the king of entry gaming level laptops in terms of specs to cost right now. And I personally got one myself which is set to get to my house in the next hour or so.

Is there anyone else in the thread who’s bought one of those? I haven’t seen many people mention actually using (or trying to use, at least) one of those.
Basically, and I say this whenever they get recommended, buy it somewhere with a good return policy like amazon. They have some screen and overheating issues, but also problems with units that are either DOA or die shortly after delivery. Mine lasted three days, and amazon has a bunch of reviews with the same problem. If you do have a problem, return it- their customer service takes so long it’ll probably put you outside of the return window by the time you get it back with no guarantee that you’ll actually have the repair work. Their actual phone service is a nightmare, too, I spent an hour explaining to the operator that the battery clips he was telling me to press don’t exist on this year’s model.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

scissorman posted:

How much is the performance difference between the GTX 1660Ti and the RTX 2080 MaxQ?
I'm looking for a new gaming laptop and eyeing either the HP Omen 15-dh0020ng or something like the Helios 300.
I want the laptop to last a while and am wondering if the difference in price is justified.

The 2080 supports ray tracing better than the 1660 (which can apparently technically do it but not well) which may be worth considering.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 29, 2019

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

pangstrom posted:

Can anyone recommend a windows 15" gaming laptop for ~$3k? I'm belatedly leaving dual-boot macbook pros, I barely use the OSX side any more and my 3-yo computer is starting to fail in strange ways since I dropped it (external monitor especially) and I'm sick of dongles. I've looked into replacing a few times over the last few months and I kinda keep losing the forest for the trees. I'm also stuck on the UHD display vs. lower resolutioner / higher refresh rates... The retina UHD display is nice for non-games, I mostly play map games where it's nice to have a lot of resolution etc., but it's not like FHD is bad and I definitely run lower resolutions for Witcher 3 and Battletech and stuff like that. I could maybe get a new external monitor for my birthday in a few months.

Just like the best overall SSD, best/most ram, best graphics card, most sturdy/reliable, battery life etc. for that price. If it doesn't look all edgy that would be nice but it's okay if it does... slim is great but would rather it be chunky than run hot as hell / downthrottle all the time like my slim macbook pro does. Also if there's a sense that it would be better to wait 6 months (obviously it's always better to wait, but if it's *especially* better now because XYZ is coming out) that would be worth knowing.

Why not buy a laptop with a 1660 for 1.3k and then build a beefy desktop with the remaining 1.7? The 1660 laptop will run everything that’s out right now on Ultra 1080p 60fps, do VR, etc.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Edmond Dantes posted:

The first result when googling the XPS15 is 1649 USD, and the E2 was ~1450.

There’s tons of laptops out there with the 1650 that are less than a grand. MSI has one that’s 800 on amazon. If you bump up to the 1660 that’s still around 1k for a graphics card that packs a lot of oomph.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Minimum of 4 cores, so i5/i7 or one of the new Ryzen laptop CPUs. The Ryzen stuff still isn't as good as Intel's stuff but it's fine for what you are looking to do, there are some idle power usage issues so you're going to be giving up some battery life but it might be worth it depending on the price. Other than that I'd aim for 16GB or RAM, a 512GB+ SSD and a 144Hz screen, not for the 144Hz part but because the 144Hz screens tend to be much nicer looking in general than the 60Hz screens, better colors, brightness and so on.

16GB of RAM for sure, but a lot of the time you can save a shitload by getting the 8GB laptop and putting another 8GB in it. Ditto for hard drive size, most have 2.5 inch bays open so it’s trivial to drop a hundred dollar 1TB SSD in there instead of paying an extra 100+ for the 512GB NVMe drive.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

bull3964 posted:

The MAG-15 is discounted for the first time I've seen in Amazon. $100 off all configurations and it comes bundled with a headset, mouse, mousepad, HDMI cable, and Red Dead Redemption 2.

Gross. If it wasn’t for Brink coming out in 2011, that’d be the worst game of the decade.

How feasible is fixing or replacing a thunderbolt port? My mom moved my laptop and ended up doing something to the port, the metal piece in there is crooked now and I can’t plug my external drive into it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Angstrom Gothington posted:

Thanks folks, I think I'll bite the bullet on the ROG!

It’s around what I paid for my Omen 15 with the same specs and I’ve been super happy with it for the last 6 months. It should be able to handle basically any current game on Ultra settings, 1080p, 60fps. The new CoD I have fully tricked out and get 1080p90fps.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

roomforthetuna posted:

I guess like going for portable desktop rather than stationable laptop. I'd buy one of those.

I keep thinking of getting a Falcon Northwest fragbox but trying to find a monitor that’s durable and easily portable is difficult.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The Triton has better build quality, IIRC.

Looking at Amazon, the Triton has similiar problems to the Helios when it comes to units bricking being pretty common. I'd avoid Acer entirely, really.
E:Looks like it also has problems with the video card suddenly not being recognized. Gotta love that Acer quality control!

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Dec 30, 2019

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I really have to give HP props for how easy it is to open up the omen 15. This year I’ve bought a Dell G3, an Acer Helios 300 (since returned) and an Omen 15 and the HP is the only one that didn’t feel like I was going to break the case while I was opening it up. I like upgrading my computers so that’s a big plus for me.

I may have found 2x16GB RAM sticks while I was cleaning my apartment yesterday and gone from 16GB of RAM to 32. Outside of replacing the 256GB NVMe internal drive with a 1TB I think I’m out of things to do to it until I replace the thermal paste on stuff in the summer, though suggestions are welcome.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Statutory Ape posted:

Is the wifi module ax/wifi6 ? That's replaceable 😀

I don't believe it is! I'll look into replacing that, since my connection drops sometimes so if I can replace it with something more reliable that'd be awesome.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

sdasdas posted:

Hey all, my mom's old laptop finally broke down completely and it's time to find something new for her. She's definitely not a poweruser, just Netflix/YouTube/email. Her budget is 700 - 1000 CAD (roughly 600 - 800 USD).

I wanted to get her an ASUS Vivobook as I have one and it's nice and light with a great display, but I've been scared off by reviews mentioning the touchpad has a tendency to spazz out for a few minutes every once in a while. I have the same issue with mine an had assumed it was due to abuse but this seems to be a common problem.

I think what's most important is a high quality IPS display, 14 - 15.6 inches and a sturdy build but reading the thread it sounds like you get what you pay for when it comes to laptops, and it's not possible to get a high quality build without going for premium powerful laptops. Is there a reliable brand that will last, that's powerful enough for basic computing tasks that isn't a $1500 powerhouse?

Dell usually does a president’s day laptop sale if she wants to wait, but even without that, a G3 should fit in her budget and do just fine. Screen’s a bit dim but I don’t think there’s going to be anything in that range with a good screen.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
What do you use it for? It may be worth seeing if there’s any 1660 models in that price range.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’ve never seen a laptop with a 1660 that has any designation besides Ti.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Woodenlung posted:

If I'm mostly interested in a laptop with a decent cpu, is it worth waiting for the new ryzen laptop chips? Honestly laptop CPU's confuses me quite a bit. Seeing a lot of expensive laptops with low clocks (like 1.8 and poo poo) but with a high boost. Is that alright?

Mostly I just want to play football manager (heavily CPU dependent, barely need a gpu), a bit of light drawing with my wacom tablet (which is why I want a higher res than 1080p), and use the laptop to watch movies on at work, at my extremely active job, where I can plug it into a tv. Budget isnt a huge worry, but wouldnt want to buy now, if something quite a bit better is right around the corner. At the moment I am thinking of this Lenovo Extreme X1 Thinkpad at a decent deal used

Intel Core i7-8750H 2,2GHz (4,2GHz turbo mode)
Ram: 32GB
1TB SSD
2TB SSD
Screen: 15,6" 4K (3840x2160) HDR m/Multi-touch, IR+720p
GPU: 4GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX1050 Ti + Intel UHD630

A bit overkill for my needs, considering I wont really be gaming anything but football manager on it, and I got a good gaming desktop at home. But... It also does seem quite sexy and I loved my old thinkpad. Love that mouse clit and like having room to work with.

I previously had some lenovo yoga thing, one of the early generations of it. I accidentally fried it by having windows update while in my bag, in +35 Celsius weather. It somehow still turns on, but it got.... Ehm... signs of death.

The only thing in that laptop I don't like is the 1050Ti, but if you're not going to do anything graphics card heavy it's fine. That's a ton of ram but it at least means you can be sloppy about closing tabs and whatnot while you're browsing.