Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Current situation: desktop is dying and I need to Old Yeller it soon. I'll eventually replace it but I'm going to be moving states in the near future and want something more portable for the interim. I'm not a complete idiot but some help comparing the finer details would be appreciated.

Requirements: gaming at the level of Civ5 and X-COM, Netflix, maybe photoshopping butts onto birds and such. Being able to play new releases at top quality isn't a priority, but if those two are stable and decent-looking that's plenty. The laptop will be pretty stationary between moves so weight/bulk isn't a big concern, neither is power. I'll also be outputting to a larger TV so the screen quality is a secondary concern.

Right now I'm leaning towards this one:

Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p (59388313) Intel Core i7 4700MQ(2.40GHz) 8GB Memory 1TB + 8GB SSHD Hybrid Drive 15.6" Notebook Windows 8 The price is right (basically the high end of what I'm looking to spend) and it seems like a quality machine. The OP says that IdeaPads are separate from ThinkPads but doesn't really explain the difference. I'm guessing they aren't "space-rated"? :shrug: I'll live if that's the only significant difference.

Then there was this one that was posted recently:

It's outside what I'd like to pay but can someone explain what justifies the price difference? My pick has 2x GT 750M (SLI), HalloKitty's has a GT 760M - perfromance wise how significant is that difference? They also seem to have different CPUs but both are 4700xx @ 2.4G.

Basically if anyone has a good reason for me not to buy the IdeaPad or a better suggestion that is what I am asking for.

E: if possible I'd like to pull the trigger on this today.

Chard fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Dec 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Thank you QuarkJets, that was an extremely helpful post. I'll admit that I was relying on NewEgg, they don't even stock the one you recommended so I had to go to Lenovo's website. Shows me for being lazy in my searching.

As for SLI I've never used it, even on desktop, because of the cost/benefit issues; I only mentioned it because it seemed to be the only option for an otherwise desirable laptop. I also didn't realize it sucked up the Ultrabay to have that. SSHDD is definitely in the cards eventually but I just need a computer right away, I can migrate later. Glad I asked!

I think I'm going to go with the y410p. I'll save 60 bucks versus the y510p and that one inch off the screen doesn't matter to me at all. Thanks again for the advice, I'm excited now.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I think this is my last question: y410p Intel Centrino Wireless N-2230 vs. Intel® Wireless-N 7260 (802.11bgn)? The latter adds 40 bucks to the base price (plus hybrid drive but meh). What difference could I notice between them, and is it possible to upgrade the N-2230 later if necessary?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I think my new Lenovo Ideapad y410p is a lemon :saddowns:

It worked fine for the first two days, but since then things like starting up and during down take 45+ minutes, it's ridiculous. I only installed a handful of Steam games, VLC, and a Citrix app I use for work. After that it started slowing down so I did a system restore, but it's just getting worse and I haven't installed anything since the restore.

Anyone else have an experience like this? I'm thinking it's the HDD, it makes a fairly loud "clunk ... clunk" when it turns on from a cold start., but for all I know that's normal. I also have a Windows 7 disk I could try, there it's an insane amount of bloatware "apps" (:jerkbag:) that came with it, but I don't want to do anything that would void a warranty.

Anyone have any thoughts? I didn't want to make a HOTS thread just yet but I will if someone thinks it works help.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

drat, I was hopping I was missing something else. Guess it's time for a return.

For the record, I'll never buy from Lenovo again. I went through a loving nightmare with their shipping just to get this broken thing, now I have to do it all over again, twice. Ugh.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Kiranamos posted:

Just received the Lenovo Y410P and I'm wondering if this defective touchpad is normal. I heard horror stories but it's pretty much unusable. The sensitivity is terrible and it only registers movement like half the time. It was almost impossible to get the computer to Logitech's site so I could install the Unifying software and stop using the lovely thing.

While I am having my own y410p issues (bad hdd, return), I had no problems with the touchpad. It was responsive and felt fine on sensitivity. I do think they have bad quality control in general though, so maybe just get a replacement? :shrug:

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Computer viking posted:

I was going to say that this is why you only buy thinkpads, and only the series that get business level 3-year onsite support. Looking at it, that's apparently a paid extra even for the T/W/X thinkpads in the US. It's included on those over here, which honestly is the minimum I'd expect from something sold as a "business tool".

edit: On the flipside, the cheapest T430 I can find here is $1040.
On the way more painful side, the T440s starts at $2300 - Lenovo Norway seems to know that most of their sales will be at negotiated prices to businesses, with the few other sales going to fans with indiscriminate spending habits.

The price difference there was kind of a non starter for me, but I can see where you're coming from. If I had known this was going to happen I might have sprung for on site, but it's not a work machine so I couldn't justify it to myself. They're giving me a 5% refund which is nice, its just another annoying delay before I can settle into it.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Kiranamos posted:

Man, Lenovo customer support is the worst. I called on Friday, 1/10 about sending back my defective Y410p due to the trackpad, and they said they'd send out a new one. On the Tuesday after, they said it shipped that day with 2-day UPS shipping. It never arrived, so I called that Friday and they said "whoops, it's shipping today." Now it's Monday, and I finally was sent tracking information that it's actually being sent out tonight on UPS Ground, not 2-day. Their support just gives me the run around with different stories each time of why things didn't happen, and they aren't helpful at all. Pretty lovely experience overall since it'll basically have been about 2 weeks without it when it should have been a few days at most according to them.

Yesterday marked the one month anniversary of my initial y410p order. The first one took a week extra and two shipping corrections, and I still had to pick it up myself because they got the address wrong. That one had a bad HDD and I had to pay for packing materials to return it. My new laptop is currently stuck in the wrong city, again, and UPS says the shipper has locked it so I can't even take care of the correction myself. I cannot believe how bad their support has been, I was not expecting anything like this.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

It's not so much the pure number of days, it's that they have screwed up basic poo poo like "is there an apartment number" and "correct city" multiple times in that period. Having a track record of similar issues didn't do much for me I guess? :shrug:

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I am getting really fed up with my y410p. This is the second one I've had, after a loving MONTH of bullshit getting a replacement for the first one that came with a bad HDD. Basically, it won't do what it should be able to: play games. I can get it to run XCOM at lowest settings and it howls like a hurricane the whole time. It won't even load Alan Wake, Endless Space, the first Metro 2033, or Hawken AT ALL. The hardware should be able to handle those enough to at least get into the game but it just... doesn't.

Am I missing something? Do I have another busted laptop? At this point I'm seriously considering getting my money back and trying to find something else but this unit came goon-recommended so I'm actually sincerely hoping that it's a PEBCAK situation and not something intrinsic to this computer. Help?

e: lol these things are just poo poo aren't they

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

My second y410p is currently in the process of making GBS threads the bed, I.e. isn't booting after thirty+ minutes on a clean restore. I hate my life, this is ridiculous. I don't have a computer because of this nonsense and I want to be job hunting and such and I can't.

If I do a non-Lenovo win 8.1 install on this hunk, what new problems am I looking at? The built in drivers don't seem to be worth the bits and I've got a disc and key. I just want the functioning computer I thought I paid for back in mid December, gently caress.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Kiranamos posted:

I did an MSDN 8.1 fresh install and it's been working fine so far. I actually installed most of the Lenovo drivers back on though since they seem to be working okay except for the wireless.

Edit: Don't install the Lenovo Intel HD4600 driver though, it's known to cause BSOD while playing games (it's not a Lenovo problem for once, I think). The updated driver from the Intel site (it will autodetect) has apparently fixed the issue, but you can't install it if there's already a Lenovo driver installed. It will say the driver is not "approved for this hardware by the manufacturer" or some poo poo. If you just get rid of it and let it use a generic driver, then you can install the Intel one.

I think I'm going to do this today. Before I start, should I back up the drivers some how, or just go all in and redownload as prompted?

Re: Classic Shell, it's great and I've been using it while the laptop was cooperating. I do have 7 also but I agree that going back to that seems wrong.

e: what the blistering gently caress is this now? This is on a brand new restore from last night: Does this seem like a hardware thing? This is the first laptop I've had in like a decade, are these normal shaking out issues?

Chard fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 9, 2014

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Update on my ongoing tale of y410p woe; made a USB install drive for 8.1, I can get into Setup and view Drive 0 (SSD part of the hybrid) and Drive 1 (platter) but I can't actually install windows. Even after formatting it tells me I can't create a new partition or locate an existing one, even though in the list of drives it says partition 1! I've been working with MS tech support all afternoon and they're going to send me an install disc to try, but at this point I think it's most likely another bad HDD.

Question to other y410p owners: does yours ever make a very high-pitched whine? It's different from the full-fan noise I got while it was still functional enough to play games, it's on the very edge of hearing and quite loud. It seems to happen when I'm the BIOS or trying to use the Windows installer.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I have a HOTS thread going about my newest Y410P issue, but I've been without a personal computer for nearly two months now and I can't keep hoping this is going to get resolved. I need this for work, job hunting, I want to move soon, etc. etc.

What is a competitor to the 410p's specs? I would prefer not to order another Lenovo product.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

AriTheDog posted:

If you need a computer for work, job hunting, etc, why don't you just get a cheap Acer C720 or similar Chromebook? The Y410P is a gaming computer. Unless you're doing a lot of encoding, number crunching, or 3D modeling you're not going to need a gaming laptop to get a job.

Yeah, I know... that's what I bought it for. It was meant to be a desktop replacement that can do several things, including gaming, while I'm in the process of completing a move. I am more than aware that for basic text/web stuff I could get by with less horsepower so that really isn't helpful to me - I want to do both gaming and work, and I don't want to end up with a computer that I'm not excited about, but with all this hassle I'm starting to change my mind.

Here's my tech support thread if anyone wants to hop in and help: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3608038

e: FWIW in case someone feels like judging me for wanting a gaming computer while I also look for work, I have a job already, it just sucks and I want out.

Chard fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 10, 2014

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Srebrenica Surprise posted:

The V7-482PG is a little pricier than it normally is right now on Amazon but it's still a pretty good deal and you could have it in a couple days if you have Prime or don't mind paying for shipping.

I am liking the way this looks, although I had not previously considered a touchscreen laptop. Is this the one that you were thinking of? http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-V5-573PG-9610-15-6-Inch-Touchscreen/dp/B00F9VXQ1A/ref=psdc1_t2_B00DDFF1G2_B00F9VXQ1A#productDetails I have a few questions though.

How does the 750M stack up against the 755M? I gather that there's very little difference?

The one I linked was the only i7 version that Amazon has and falls in the middle of the price range. Is the i5 in the others sufficient, or is it worth holding out for i7?

Is there a reason the 14" i5 version is like 60 bucks more expensive, but is less powerful? I'm very sorry but I'm an idiot at laptops it appears, I have a hard time seeing the logic of the pricing.

How is the build quality? I was always a little nervous handling the y410p, something more 'solid' would be nice but if it's at least as good that's fine.

e: no optical drive, but honestly that's ok I hardly use discs anymore and the externals are pretty cheap.

e2: I can slap an SSD in this later if I decide to, right? Replaces the HDD though?

Chard fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Feb 10, 2014

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Cosima posted:

Is there a reason the Lenovo sales call center has been closed for the past 2 days and no one seems to be manning online customer support? I ordered a Thinkpad a month ago and I have no idea where it is. The tracking number they provided doesn't exist. I've already been charged and when I call the Lenovo automated system it lists the status of my order as "delivered". I'm so nervous right now.

e: I think the center is located in Raleigh, which received a city-breaking 3 inches of snow. So perhaps that's the answer to my question. I'm from Toronto which has been frigid and snowy for awhile now, so I'm not amused by these weaklings. :arghfist::black101:

They are also just utter poo poo, so don't expect a huge improvement in quality when there are actually people to talk to.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Tom Foolery posted:

It would be pretty funny if you were serious. The only way that would make any kind of sense is on a gaming laptop and even then it would still be suspect.

Don't listen to this one's lies, friend. He's a consummate troll.

e: I fear I am too late :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I finally, after two defectives and three months, have a working Y410P and I really like it. However it does this thing where it goes to sleep if I walk away for more than a couple of minutes and it's not actively doing something like playing music or downloading or scanning itself. It's probably very good battery wise and for the planet and such but it's annoying and I'm worried about the strain on the HDD starting up and shutting off all the time like this. Can someone help me fix it? I've changed all the power settings I can find and it lives constantly plugged in, I'm at a loss.

e: I think it may be an 8.1 thing and not a laptop thing but I know a lot of people in this thread own this machine so I thought I'd start here.

Chard fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 18, 2014