Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Lockback posted:

I know surface have mixed reactions but I like them. Either way screaming deal on Surface pro 7+s for under $700
https://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=833026&CatId=11945

drat, this is super tempting. I wish they had a sale on on the 16gb RAM model(s), though. been looking for a 2-in-1 or tablet ever since I got into goofy mechanical keyboards and stopped wanting to use laptop keyboards, but I do web development using WSL2, which as a VM requires a pretty hefty chunk of reserved RAM. unsurprisingly, the intersection of "well-rated 2-in-1/tablet, 16 gigs of RAM, and below $1000" seems to have zero devices in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

~Coxy posted:

I was looking into that because people from work were talking about it and there's some even more bananas choices in SKU segmentation like no 32GB RAM on a AMD CPU.

the surfaces do the same thing all windows laptops with soldered ram do (so almost all laptops at this point) where you can only get 16 or especially 32 gig ram along with a bunch of poo poo you might not need, and i hate it

i do web development for a living. i don't need a super beefy computer - all our build tools are garbage single-core-locked javascript poo poo that really doesn't get much faster the more power you throw at it, especially when that power is more cores. i definitely don't need disk space beyond like 128 gig; code is small and i have no need for on-device storage in a cloud world (a lot of dev stuff is i/o-bound so an nvme would be nice but lmfao who is going to offer a 128 gig nvme). what i really need is ram, for both browser tabs and the WSL2 vm.

unfortunately, there is no laptop in the world where i can configure like the world's most basic i5, a 128 gig ssd, and 16 gigs of ram. you want that ram, you are also getting some battery-destroying i7 and like some dumb 512 gig ssd, and you are dropping an extra $500 on it for no goddamn reason

Mu Zeta posted:

drat i really wish there was a PC equivalent to Apple's M1 chip. Everyone would be flipping out if AMD had made something like it.

i mean, just in terms of "arm on pc," microsoft has the surface pro x, the single worst device purchasing decision you could possibly make in 2021, in an attempt to spearhead this. i assume they only offer this on a thousand dollar device because anything cheaper wouldn't be able to brute force x86 emulation (https://blogs.windows.com/windows-i...nsider-program/)

it is a custom microsoft chip, the "SQ2," which was done with qualcomm, so it's kiiinda like an m1. supposedly they're still iterating on this on their own (and qualcomm is also working on building their own more beefy arm chips, though i bet that'd be more server-targeted)

SwissArmyDruid posted:

edit 2: Didn't know there were Surface Pro 8 rumors and leaks. Looks like they might have Tiger Lake (10nm) silicon. Thank god, finally.

i still hold out hope for the dream of a powerful windows tablet (watching the ipad pro continue to get beefier while continuing to not have a single coding tool on it, very annoying) and hope that winds up being a better deal than past surfaces but i am not holding my breath

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 24, 2021

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

so like two days after complaining about not being able to get a mid-range laptop with 16 gigs of ram, i found out you totally can, and now i'm really tempted to impulse buy this: https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/lenovo-ideapad-flex-5-14

the big compromise here is the screen, which i think i'd be fine with on a resolution level, but having super low brightness is a bummer. i do have dreams of computing outside this summer once i'm fully vax'd sitting at an outdoor table at a coffee shop or something, and i don't think 250 nits would cut it :negative:

i hope this is an encouraging sign that more $600-800 laptops will have 16 gig options, though. 8 is fine for most people (i think it should basically be illegal to sell a windows laptop with 4 gigs at this point; those base surface gos are so much worse value than like a chromebook would be) but there's plenty of use cases for 16GB of ram on a relatively mid-spec machine (software dev, lotta memory hungry design apps like photoshop or figma, etc)

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

I'd be super scared to buy a laptop with the express purpose of dual-booting unless I had made sure whatever OS I want to use has very up to date guides to how to do it on that device, or at the very least at least one person on reddit going "yeah I got it to work." my roommate has to dual boot for their job and has been in absolute hell (with an XPS!) after some Windows or firmware update hosed everything up and hasn't even been able to get a USB drive properly flashed to boot Linux to repair or reinstall, apparently

otoh for most front-end dev they should be fine to just use WSL2; it works 100% perfectly if you're using VSCode (and IntelliJ/WebStorm/etc work surprisingly well with an X server) and the only system requirement is just to have 16+ gigs of RAM since you'll need space for the VM (maybe 32 given the budget, especially if they're going to be working on an existing codebase - I've seen some Webpack setups in large codebases get up to nightmarish levels of memory requirements...)

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 26, 2021

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

since my last post, my roommate is still dealing with an issue where, after reinstalling ubuntu on their xps 13, after they reboot twice (in either os), the laptop stops letting them boot into linux. they're working on getting their employer to send them a dedicated linux laptop (which might also be a loving xps 13 because that's one of the laptops that you can get preinstalled linux on, so you'd think it'd be great for this poo poo)

so, y'know, you made the right choice with wsl, is what i'm saying

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Speaking of Lenovos and prices, I'm trying to figure out if this Amazon listing for the Ideapad 5 Flex with a Ryzen 4500U and 16 gigs of RAM for six hundred dollars is actually accurate: https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Processor-Graphics-Included-81X20005US/dp/B086226DDB

Like, that price seems way too good to be true. I've been looking for a while now for a device that's got:

* A reasonably powerful processor (which a 4500U blows past, holy poo poo)
* 16 gigs of RAM
* 2-in-1 capabilities (I use a goofy ergo keyboard/trackball so being able to tent the laptop in a portable setup and not have to make room for the laptop kb/trackpad is a huge plus for me)

And there is nothing else in this category I have seen under $1000. The reviews indicate the screen's not great in daylight, but everything else seems amazing. Is there any competition for these specs and price point?

The only other device I've seen near this is the newer Yoga 6 with a 5700U(!) which on sale for $750 (https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo...p?skuId=6455180), but it has a weird dumb fabric cover that looks like it would get immediately disgusting (I've had fabric phone cases before and I hated it, and that was at least washable)

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 28, 2021

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Khorne posted:

e/n: I really want a laptop with a 5600u or 5800u (or similar sku) with 16gb soldered 1x + 1 ram slot and a good 1080p screen at 14"

how do you feel about, uh, your laptop cover lookin like some jorts

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo...0&ref=212&loc=1

as i noted a while ago, i have also been looking for midrange stuff because premium windows laptops are loving horrendously priced right now (i cannot imagine spending $1000+ on any non macbook laptop right now because it's now literally the best price for specs if you don't need a discrete GPU, which should never loving happen with apple but here we are), and i've kinda found this and the ideapad flex 5 to be the biggest standouts:

https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/lenovo-ideapad-flex-5-14

the ideapad's a 4500U so probably below what you're looking for, plus the screen sounds not great (but also it's been $600 on amazon which is pretty wild)

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

dreesemonkey posted:

The M1 MacBook seems to be a no-brainer, but her current MBP left a bad taste in her mouth and she's over an hour away from any apple stores for help/repairs.

I feel like the thing to point out here is that being an hour away from an Apple Store is literally a better case for laptop repairs than literally any other laptop manufacturer, who are all going to require a mail-in fix for anything beyond, like, the Geek Squad reinstalling Windows for you.

(that said, higher end ThinkPads probably will be reliable enough this won't be a huge issue, though the price might be a bit rough)

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 5, 2021

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Bubbacub posted:

I run out of RAM pretty easily when doing photo stacks using my 16 GB desktop, so I wanted a ton of RAM for my new laptop. Ended up with a 64 GB Framework (https://frame.work/) with a 2 TB SSD. Being able easily upgrade the storage in the future also seems like a nice perk of the laptop.

did this come in for you yet? I've been eyeing one of those, starting to feel like it's the best buy you can get right now if you're willing to gamble on a 1 year warranty, which... is a big of a gamble but at least the serviceable parts hopefully would help

it's very reasonable in pricing for the specs from what I can tell. the only thing in the Windows space that seems like it'd beat it is some of the $700-900 AMD laptops, but those are all extremely out of stock now and don't seem to have any hope of getting replenished. I am debating just getting an M1 Macbook Air (I know Apple has an event next week, but it sounds like the only thing they might be announcing is the 16-inch M1X MBP, which supposedly starts at $1800 and will probably also be hit with supply delays), though

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

my https://frame.work/ laptop came in today and my first impression is really good! got the diy edition to save a few hundred bucks but will say I had to rope in the steadier hands of my roommate to get the wifi module installed, so if you do have the cash the convenience may be worth it (the storage/memory is super easy to install, though).

it's kind of awesome getting a new laptop and installing my own os on it, instead of being greeted by a nightmare of bloatware. set up windows 10 and it was a breeze - they ship a single exe that installs all the drivers, which is awesome for setting up. thought about trying win11 but I guess they don't have an updated driver package for that yet (apparently it mostly works but you may have to manually install a couple driver updates), so going to wait and see if that gets ironed out

the build quality seems really solid for something you can so easily open up. you won't mistake it for a macbook, but it feels a lot more premium than any windows laptop i've seen short of a thinkpad or maybe a surface

as for the long-term upgradability future - even if the company implodes tomorrow, the ram and storage are just standard ddr4 and nvmes, so that seems easy to replace no matter what. i don't really know if the battery is a standard size or something, but i feel like aftermarket batteries are pretty common, so hopefully a third party would make them even if the company didn't. the promise of replacing and repairing the rest of the parts seems like it'll only exist as long as the company does, but it does seem like they're pretty quickly selling through their batches as they go on sale, so i'm relatively optimistic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

speaking of hubs, I guess this is as good a place as any to ask about the state of usb-c/thunderbolt docks

I've been using an Apple USB-C dongle for my work Macbook. The dongle has a single USB-C port for power, a USB-A port for a peripheral (which I've plugged a USB hub into), and an HDMI port for a monitor. I've also got a DisplayPort-to-USB-C cable that I use to power a second monitor.

With my new Framework laptop, this all works fine except, oddly, charging. I think the dongle does not properly support USB-PD or something - my Macbook charging brick works just fine with the laptop, but if I go through the dongle, it shows as "charging" but barely charges at all, which makes me think it's limiting to a low wattage for some reason.

So I figured I'd just replace the dongle with a new dock, but I'm curious - are there any docks that could output to two screens at once, from either a Macbook or a Windows laptop, without costing like $200+? It'd be nice to have one less cable to worry about, but it seems like this requires a very expensive Thunderbolt dock, not a regular USB-C dock. The screens are 1440p and 1920x1200, so I don't need 4K. I've seen some references to docks that can do this for Windows laptops, but on Macbooks can only do mirror mode between the two screens, but I can't tell if that's an unavoidable problem or just weird docks.

If I can't do this for <$200 I'll just get a $50 UGREEN dock and deal with juggling that second cable, but it'd be nice to live in a one-cable world :allears: