Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
My wife was issued an HP Elitebook 745 G5 (Ryzen 5 PRO 2500U, one stick of 8 GB DDR4) by her office, but now she's resigning so I'm planning on getting her her own actually-personal laptop.

Something with specs similar to that might be outside of my price range (say 400 to 500 USD), but my bigger concern is that she thinks the screen on it is really nice, and that the laptop speakers are really nice. How do I begin to check for laptops to find something like that?

EDIT: A quick browse tells me that the Ryzen-grade CPU might be reachable after all in sub-550 USD Lenovo Ideapads, Asus Vivobooks, or Acer Aspires, and so on, but I'm still wondering how can I actually check for something with good sound.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jun 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

phosdex posted:

What is the state of AMD laptops for old people? Like I have an Ryzen in my desktop and would have no problems buying an AMD laptop for myself. But I'm going to buy a new laptop for my mom who lives 2k miles away. Should I just stay with Intel? Or is AMD going to be ok for my mom looking up sewing patterns or something.

for what it's worth I bought my mother-in-law a Ryzen 4500U laptop last year because her shitbox Celeron from a decade ago couldn't handle her trying to teach a class over Zoom and she's had no complaints, for someone who only has a very casual understanding of how computers work

rabidcowfromhell posted:

I've been researching getting a new laptop for school (going to a University at 34. Better late than never!) but also for games, and I've decided on the Zephyrus G14. I can't find anything about the release date for the 2021 models, so I'm assuming it hasn't been announced yet. How big a difference do a 3060 and a Ryzen 9 5900HS make over a 2060 and a R9-4900? Seeing as I don't actually need it until August Is the performance improvement worth waiting a while and paying a few hundred dollars more? I'm tolerant of not having Ultra Max settings and 1 billion fps on everything

The 3060 is likely to be much better value than the 2060, assuming the price is comparable and you can afford to wait