Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Glad I checked this thread, can't wait to see how the T570 looks, had almost given up on a laptop this year after seeing the awful MBP battery life stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Is there a reason not to buy T-series Thinkpads anymore? I see a lot of Dell talk here but I know that the Thinkpads are really uninspiring for gaming so probably they are not hot discussion topics.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Add a headset and punch deck

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
God drat why can't any of these monkeys get 10+ hours on WiFi, much less with a screen resolution higher than FHD. Apple has been doing it for what, a decade with the Retina MBP and everyone else still calls 1080p and 7 hours of battery premium when the Mac doubles both.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mu Zeta posted:

The 2016 are 1st gen products and those always have fuckups. The only Apple laptops that steadily goes more than 10 hours is the Macbook Air though and they will probably be discontinued soon.

Yeah I was exaggerating but everything except the dog turd 2016s does 8 easy doesn't it

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Anyone tried a Thinkpad Carbon X1? Looks neat, only 1080p but that might be good for battery.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Ah lame, they only have 8gb i7 models

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Is there a good laptop to buy right now, I heard mac has gone to hell, most important spec is battery life and non garbage screen.

edit: current laptop is a still a Thinkpad T510

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Plenty! What are your priorities?

Based on nothing, I would recommend an xps 13 with a fhd panel, they're basically what the macbook air should have evolved into if apple gave a poo poo.

Priority is battery life, screen resolution, not a mac (unless those are ok again), and build quality.

Main use case: sitting in a coffee shop pretending I have a job so it should look professionalish

Is there another Thinkpad I can buy that's good?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Wow, the T470 only has a 1080p display, what year is this like 1400?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Statutory Ape posted:

As somebody that did a full refresh of his computers this year (ultra portable, desktop,laptop for games) i am really exceptionally happy to hear about how bad my performance is going to be from my brand new Intel processors.

I think ill 100% be participating in any class actions I can

Don't worry it will take several new generations of processors and the better part of a decade to settle out as I understand it!

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Bob Morales posted:

The S and P models can get the 2560 X 1440 screen

Aren't those like goofy models? I have never really understood. I wonder when T480 is supposed to come out.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Zero VGS posted:

Right, they say 16 hours of browsing down to 13, as the battery reduction would indicate. Knew they were full of poo poo. I'm trying to upgrade a fleet of work laptops and I might go with the previous model since it has a bigger battery, some full-size USB, more key travel, and $200 less, but that model with Coffee Lake was around for only a few months and they'll probably stop making them now...

I like that the answer to every laptop question has become "buy a previous model".

All the new macs are evidently garbage, the thinkpad line is all over the place and as always has garbage battery, etc

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Usually anything over a certain wattage it'll work depending on the model, but if it's less power than the regular AC adapter expect some performance issues/slow charging.

i.e. I'm running my XPS 15 on USB-C after the charging port died a painful death. Anything over 60W is recognized as a charger and works. It's no longer effective for games though, and there's the occasional weird sound/other issues so you can tell it's not getting enough power to really work. Still, as as stop-gap it works fine for regular surfing and email and whatnot.

I have been researching this lately too and it varies a ton by model, running the gamut from the Macbook which can be charged from a power bank (awesome) to about what you're talking about and anywhere in between (Lenovo has some that can according to their specs run more or less happily at less than full charging speeds, say 45W). I am really hoping to see some more/larger USB-C Power Delivery power banks soon from reputable manufacturers - I know Razer and Dell have some smallish ones already that can push 45W but it seems to be a rapidly-evolving market segment.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pablo Gigante posted:

I've been seeing stuff about the new 8th gen Kaby Lake processors throttling at not-that-high temps, is that actually a thing? Should I be looking at laptops with a 7th gen processor instead?

As someone who has spent several weeks obsessively shopping for laptops, there hasn't been a good laptop made since 2015, and a 2015 laptop is getting long in the tooth. Welcome to laptop hell.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
lol t480 is only launching with 1080p why do they keep doing thsi

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I know that the X1C is more their end-user model, the MBP equivalent, but it seems weird that they position the "base model" as some low end fleet computer when the insane battery capacity has no equivalent for the individual consumer. Like the product has a very highly desirable trait and they don't really market it. Their higher-res displays aren't even battery hogs so much anymore!

edit: also apple has been putting like 5000x6000 displays on everything from watches on up for a decade now!!!!

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

dissss posted:

This isn’t aimed at the same market as Apple - no one is expecting to run their accounting package for 1997 on a MacBook Pro but it’ll end up on plenty of Thinkpads.

People say this a lot but in this era of overnight startups devouring entire industries, is there actually a legacy enterprise market left?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

sailormoon posted:

So if the new XPS 13 isn’t too great, what’s the best Linux laptop? I mainly care about screen and keyboard quality since they’re both what I’ll be using all day. Should I just get a last gen model?

New Thinkpads dropping soon too, I think theres a big sale but they aren't known for great screens

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Hadlock posted:

Yes and from what i can tell they're completely disconnected from the modern world, it's like 1979 bizzaro world, and it represents something like 40% of our economy. Anything introduced after 2007 (Advent of iPhone smartphone era) is basically magic to them. A lot of them still use fax machines and are 60-something and only barely understand email.

Holy poo poo, I work with people like this, I thought it was because my industry didn't have the internet in the workplace until less than 10 years ago. I wish I had screenshots of some of our lowest-bidder UX.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Apollodorus posted:

The 1080 has a fan design that makes it impossible to put into a desktop PCIe slot, apparently. That, I suspect, is why it's still available at MSRP.

I wonder if you can get one and use a PCIe extension cord and rig something

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Apollodorus posted:

Yeah...probably. Or you could attach a different fan unit to it. But I'm not going to spend $700 to find out.

Whatever bro I'm buying the whole stock gonna get that etherium

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Lame, rumor is all the Thinkpad releases are pushed back to March or later. Hows the build quality on these XPSs? Up to snuff with Apple/Thinkpad?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Hadlock posted:

Intel announced today that they have Meltdown/Spectre resistant CPUs in the pipeline for this year

https://www.engadget.com/2018/01/26/intel-spectre-meltdown-chips/

Where did you hear your rumor, is there more info? It's not uncommon for Lenovo to announce Thinkpads at CES, promise delivery by end of month, and then trickle out models piecemeal for 3+ months. I suspect that they're filling enterprise orders first before they address retail. Or they could just be waiting for Intel's newer chips. :iiam:

Oh well that's a hell of an announcement. Maybe I won't buy a laptop after all. Be nice to be able to get work done outside the house though, my productivity has been nil for months.

The Thinkpad Reddit is full of rumors about March and April but going over the info it looks like yeah it's the usual Lenovo trickle to where by the time they have something out it's time to restart the trickle.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I think the 12" Macbook is, as they say, it's own thing

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Also buying new Thinkpads is fine if you are chasing a high-res screen. If you are not some sick freak who will pay any price for >1080p + Trackpoint/Thinkpad keyboard, buy a used corpo one for like a nickel

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Rumor from r/thinkpad is that Lenovo US support is now claiming a US release of at least some of the new models including versions of T480 and X1C6 to the online store tomorrow

I bet it's aaaaaalllll 1366x768 models as usual

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Rexxed posted:

It's silly that my 6" phone is 2560x1440 but that it's a premium feature for a laptop to be 1920x1080. Conversly my phone has 32GB of flash and I put a 500GB SSD in my laptop. Maybe they could just settle some of these specs in between.

If Lenovo ever actually ships meaningful numbers of units w good screens it will be a game changer to have screen AND keyboard both be good for the first time since like maybe ever/2015mbpr

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Hadlock posted:

Two useful links as I continue to use my X230 with modern equipment (thank god this thing came with two USB 3.0 ports back in 2012)

Pushing 2560x1440 @ 55hz is possible using the ye olde HD 4000 graphics of the Ivy Bridge i-Class CPUs, typing this on my thinkpad plugged in to a 27" dell IPS 2560x1440. You'll need to install Intel's "Intel HD Graphics" app and then set a custom resolution, but it totally works:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/2560x1440-or-2560x1600-via-HDMI.92840.0.html

Great writeup from 2016 on the perils of buying a 1366x768 display rather than a 1920x1080p display:

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/laptop-screen-resolution-ripoff

What a step back that was from the 1400x1050 or whatever that had been standard since like 2005

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Australia has the T480s today but looks like no US stuff until March/April. Lenovo shoots themselves in the foot with these opaque and shifting release schedules big-time.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Hadlock posted:

Re: lovely low travel keyboard chat

I've had one of the new rMBP now for about three months; either it's been fully broken in, or I've gotten used to it finally.

That whole "grain of sand will trash your keyboard" myth is absolutely true - I had a bread crumb under my up arrow and it gave me real serious grief while I slowly pummeled it in to Oblivion. I'm certain that a more durable speck of dust would have permanently crippled my keyboard.

I'm a bit confused about key travel now though. I type at work on a crisp new mbp keyboard and then come home and pound on a 5 year old Thinkpad keyboard which now feels a bit mushy or like I'm using a TRS-80

I should've bought a T25 lol

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I succumbed to my lifelong case of Thinkpad madness and ordered a T25 when they came back into stock this afternoon. I strongly suspect that for my uses I will not notice the difference between it and a T480 processing power wise!

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

AverySpecialfriend posted:

oops wrong thread lmao

Were you looking for the TROMP thread

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Nobody makes knock off thinkpad parts, just ebay that poo poo. Lenovo charges $120 for a replacement keyboard, but you can find the exact same part for $50 easy.

Be careful when sourcing LCDs and batteries but otherwise ebay is the best way

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Also fuuuuuck the price of RAM, I hope 16gb is enough

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Ordering from Lenovo status: ordered laptop+battery on the 29th, battery (supposed to arrive Feb 6) is here. Laptop is still optimistic about its chance of shipping on 1/30. Lolnovo

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

silence_kit posted:

Lol, if you are a typical Zotero user and are often writing papers with a lot of formatting and citations you really don't want to be wasting your time wrestling with bugs in a crappy free alternative word processor program. Just pay the man (Microsoft in the case of a PC laptop or Apple in the case of a MacBook) and get a real computer which runs Microsoft Office.

Typeset everything in latex or whatever like a pro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
New laptop arrived with win10, lol this os seems very intrusive I've never used it before, is it worth giving a shot before I flatten it and run Linux? I don't do anything that's locked to any one OS