Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

InstantInfidel posted:

That's absolutely, unequivocally wrong. Many people use their laptops for school, work, friends, and entertainment, which is a hell of a lot of our lives. It's in your best interest to invest in a quality machine that fits your needs, which is an Air or an Ultrabook for most people.
Yes, and he's saying "other people have different requirements". I have no problem accepting some dude might not need battery life for playing FIFA at the girlfriend's. Why is this so hard for you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

How customizable are touchpads nowadays? My 4 year old Sony laptop has this nifty function where you can scroll as if using the iPod's clickwheel. Put your finger on the right side of the touchpad and just draw circles. It's awesome and I'm wondering if the stuff on the market can be customized to work like that.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Does it make sense to wait until the holiday season? I'm probably gonna get the Yoga 2 Pro but my current laptop isn't completely useless yet. I don't suppose the newest laptops usually get big discounts.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Das Volk posted:

Dell no longer allows you to configure laptops I've noticed, even for basic parts like hard drives, so they'll sell me something with a ton of good hardware and a 5400 rpm drive :wtc: Does anyone else have a configurator, or at least build machines with non-idiotic options these days?
Doesn't Apple do the same thing? It's either a fancy new SSD drive or a dogshit 5400 rpm drive. It's pretty god awful for people who aren't looking for SSDs.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Two questions about the Yoga 2 Pro:

1) Is the yellow issue resolved one way or another? Literally all I need is to watch movies. If I can set the laptop to some battery-killing mode and get actual yellow I'm fine with it.

2) How lovely is 4GB RAM? They doubt they're gonna get stock on the 8 GB models anytime soon. I mostly just watch high-res TV and movies, surf on Chrome and edit some pictures on Photoshop. Nothing intensive. But if 8 GB is a noticeable boost I really don't want to be stuck with 4 GB.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

My problem with the Surface Pro 2 is the screen size. It's so small that I don't think you're approximating "full laptop power" with that at all. The Yoga 2 Pro is really light without compromising screen size.

For those who own it, I do want to ask whether the non-laptop viewing modes are any useful. I'm thinking of using the tent mode to watch movies and the stand mode for video conferencing.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Are you waiting for an 8 GB Yoga 2 Pro too? Lucky you, you can now be extorted out of your rear end in a top hat!

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/yoga/yoga-2-pro/

$1,399 and $1,599 for the i5/8GB/256GB and i7/8GB/512GB configurations respectively. The B&N link knocks them down to $1,189 and $1,529, but I'm pretty sure these prices were lower in the initial release...

e: Did a chat thing with them about the prices and their only response was: "The price and deals are subjected to change without prior notice." Thinking about getting the $1,189 model but that's still kinda pricey.

Vegetable fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jan 4, 2014

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

At least they nailed like 75% of the meme structure. Some companies make a real mess out of it.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

RVProfootballer posted:

Yoga 2 Pro is back in stock at Best Buy, where $1200 gets you i7/8/256. For the price relative to those other two, it's a pretty easy decision (I think!).
Did this run out of stock within a single day? God damnit.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Ragehaver posted:

Ah, good catch. Well, I guess I'll return this Alienware 14 and wait for best buy to get more in stock. I really need the 8gb of ram and I'm not in a rush.
Look again. The last two models on Lenovo's website have 8GB of RAM. They ship slightly later (by Jan 20), but you're not in a hurry anyway.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The Yoga 2 Pro was briefly available on the Best Buy website today and I snapped it up. Problem is it wouldn't take my promo code, but I figured getting my order in was the most important thing. Had to spend like two hours on the phone afterwards to get the promo thing sorted out, but at least it's all done.

e: Aaaand it's shipped, wow.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It's a student promo code on select i7 laptops. You have to sign up for it somewhere on the website with a .edu email, and it's single use only. There's one for MacBooks and other stuff as well.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Is there a way to enable circular scrolling on the Yoga 2 Pro? (You scroll on your touchpad as if using an Apple ClickWheel: by moving in circles) I was told earlier in this thread that it's possible but now I'm stuck with two finger scrolling.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

That seems to be a wiki for Linux? I don't see anything I might use.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

sports posted:

It hyperlinked to a literal how-to on adding a few bits to your Synaptics driver's config.
Its instructions are for a Linux computer. None of the configuration files in Windows work with them.

Still looking for a way to enable chiral/circular scrolling on the Yoga 2 Pro. The Synaptics control panel has no option for it, and the registry doesn't have an entry for circular scrolling for which you can just change the value.

In the meantime two-finger scrolling is killing me.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

JohnnyTreachery posted:

for anyone that's bought the yoga 2 pro via best buy, does it ship with win8.1 and the bios update that fixes the yellowed screen?
I bought mine two weeks ago and it has Windows 8.1 as well as the bios update. You still need to use the more battery-exhaustive power options to get decent yellows, though. I'm on Power Saver right now and all I'm getting is pure mustard.

e:

GrizzlyCow posted:

Did you try DPI scaling? Some programs scale like poo poo, but if you want to try, for Windows 8.x: right-click desktop, hit personalize, under see also on the sidebar is 'display',check "let me choose scaling", choose your scaling. 200% should be good.
I did this and my entire desktop shrunk to mini-size. My large icons became tiny. No idea why this is happening.

Would still like a real solution, though. VLC icons are small as poo poo.

Vegetable fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jan 24, 2014

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I've been using my Yoga 2 Pro a ton as a PDF reader. Flip it around, turn it vertical and scroll with your finger. You won't guess how many people have literally said to me, "I wanna do that poo poo." I've used it as a recipe viewer in the tent mode as well. It's a little too heavy as a movie viewer but these modes really make the touchscreen worthwhile.

e: Also classicshell or some variant of it, yes. gently caress Metro.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Is there a ~$400 laptop that will play Dragon Age: Inquisition at high? I'd also like to emulate PSP and PS2 games.

I already have a Yoga 2 Pro (with integrated graphics) so I literally have no other needs than gaming. Maybe it makes more sense to delve into the used market for this sort of thing instead.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

My Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro's laptop is dead. It won't hold a charge and the laptop powers up only with the AC adapter plugged in. And Lenovo doesn't sell an official replacement battery or provide any form of technical support for laptops out of warranty (not joking). Anyone have experience buying third-party batteries and installing them on your laptop manually? I don't think I have a choice here.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

My Yoga 2 Pro's motherboard fried and it'll run me $405 to replace it. A repair makes more sense than getting a new laptop, right? I don't think anything on the market now approaches that price point.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

anothergod posted:

How did you get that price quote? My laptop is pretty nice still but needs some upkeep on its fan and the case is cracked. I'd love to just drop a couple hundred to fix it....
I took my laptop to a pretty reputable 3rd party repair store.

Mine is also cracked as poo poo. The hinge is all loose too.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

My Yoga 2 Pro does a pretty poor job of dissipating heat. I'd be playing 2D indie games and it heats up to 80s-90s. And then it shuts down. What can I do about this? Would one of those laptop cooling pads help?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I have a QHD+ screen on a 13 inch screen (Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro). The screen spoils you to no end. I can't go back to regualr HD even for word processing. And movies of course look amazing on it.

The problem with tiny windows is real (mostly fixable on a case-by-case basis), but I wouldn't hestitate to get a QHD/QHD+ screen again if the price was good.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

VLC was immensely hosed up on my QHD+ screen. Icons were absolutely tiny. Couldn't fix it using Windows or program settings.

There's a workaround where you stick some kind of generic file in the program's folder and rename it accordingly. It works for most programs, but not all (especially not for those programs with launchers separate from the actual executable).

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Who's choosing a login method based on whether it'd be compromised in the event of an arrest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

What do you need the touch screen for?