Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
:downs: Looking for a laptop. Read some of the recent posts, not sure where to go now.

Primarily looking for something that can handle decent gaming but mostly just tons of multitasking and perhaps streaming console games via El Gato capture. I'm willing to drop in some more RAM since it feels like every laptop comes with 25% of what it needs.

This MSI one started this search and it's eye-catching because it's under $900 now, but I'm probably missing some better deals. I don't care about touchscreens or the weight other than not being thigh-crushers, but I'd prefer 15/17". My budget is around $1000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Atomizer posted:

Nah, get this Acer because it's equal to or better than that MSI in every way that counts plus it's only like $160 more but the better components it has are worth more than that. The 1050 2 GB is probably close to half the performance of the 1060 6 GB, and worth about $160 right there (per the price difference of the desktop parts.) The MSI has an HDD, but that's basically worth the difference between its 128 GB SSD and the Acer's 256 GB one. The RAM upgrade is probably $80-100 right there. The Acer also might go on sale Monday, maybe? :shrug:

Why is Acer poo poo always so terribly designed? Every keyboard I've ever used places useful keys like PgUp/Dn in the top right, and on this one it's the loving power button.

I'll keep an eye on it and if it does drop I might go with that one.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Friend is looking into getting a laptop and suggested this. I think that's about where their budget is.

The one I bought for myself is this one, which I've been quite satisfied with. Not sure if it's worth suggesting that they up their budget a little bit, or if there's something better I could suggest.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I started my reply before you had posted, since I was still looking around at options. :saddowns:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
In the end I think I managed to convince them to spend a little extra on the Helios 300, since I have one and it works great, and like you said, the gains in CPU speed/RAM/disk outweigh the cost -- their current laptop was a cheapo Woot refurb that was outdated before it even shipped. Only bad thing is that I got mine for $50 cheaper since I bought it back during Black Friday.