Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.
Hey guys I'm researching into ultrabooks at the moment. I have a PC in my room for my gaming/stationary needs but would like a LIGHT laptop to take everywhere with me, like class or bed, that has a nice screen and is reasonably fast. Going to use it for old PC games, alot of TV and movies (15" preferable), web browsing and general school work. Would prefer as cheap as possible, like 400-600. Also, look and weight is most important, I want something sleek and that I can wave around in my bed.

EDIT:

I love the look and feel of the Yoga 13, which is 3.3 pounds and sports a 13.3 inch screen. Something like that but cheaper is ideal!

TheShrike fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jul 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

Hadlock posted:

How many months do you need your investment to last you? It's just to watch TV in bed and facebook during commercial breaks? If it's never going to leave the house you can safely wander down to Best Buy and pickup whichever model you want. They had a 15" Lenovo B series for $399 last time I was in there (July 2012).

When I am not in my room, which is most of the time, it will be in my backpack for class/library/work. The B-series is too heavy and ugly, I would prefer something 3 pounds or lighter as well as very thin.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

There is no such thing as a thin 15" laptop that weighs 3 pounds. The closest you'll get is a Macbook Pro Retina and those cost over $2,000

You need to set your sights lower in several categories.

Since the Yoga 13 is 13.3 inches and only 3.3, I think that screen size would be fine as well. Also I want a Windows computer.

I'm thinking models like the Asus Zenbook and the Yoga 13.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm not sure there are really any Ultrabooks in that price range. At least ones that are any good. I think you need to save up another $200.

Well a Yoga 13 goes for about 700... I was hoping there would be a bit cheaper alternatives.