Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

I currently have two laptops, a Dell Vostro 1320 (C2D, 3GB RAM, regular platter disk) and a ASUS U36SD-DH51 (Sandybridge i5, SSD, 8GB RAM).

Both of these are solid but I really want something with a high definition screen in 13" form factor. I'm eyeing the Retina Macbook Pro but will wait for the Haswell update if I were to go that route. There's also that Asus Zenbook Infinity that isn't out yet. So basically what I'm asking is...is there anything else I should be looking at? Greater than 1920x1080 res is important to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

z06ck posted:

I currently have two laptops, a Dell Vostro 1320 (C2D, 3GB RAM, regular platter disk) and a ASUS U36SD-DH51 (Sandybridge i5, SSD, 8GB RAM).

Both of these are solid but I really want something with a high definition screen in 13" form factor. I'm eyeing the Retina Macbook Pro but will wait for the Haswell update if I were to go that route. There's also that Asus Zenbook Infinity that isn't out yet. So basically what I'm asking is...is there anything else I should be looking at? Greater than 1920x1080 res is important to me.
Anyone?

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

DrDork posted:

Not really. The two options you already listed are your best bet at getting what you want. There aren't exactly a lot of 13" laptops with a better-than 1920x1080 screen. poo poo, there aren't that many with even a 1920x1080 screen to begin with.

That's what I figured. I just wanted to confirm that something else that I wasn't aware of may have been on the horizon. If anyone else wants to chime in, thanks.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

Just a heads up to anyone interested, over at MacMall they're having huge discounts on Mackbook Pros (retina). I'm having a hard time not buying one but I'm going to wait for haswell.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

https://www.system76.com/laptops/model/galu1

This laptop looks solid, any complaints you guys see? I just want a high res 13-14" laptop with an ips screen.

edit: and It won't be running Windows(or ubuntu) if you care.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

Brut posted:

This isn't the Haswell refresh of the T430, right?

Since it says 4th gen (Haswell) then uh, yeah?

edit: oh, missed the s there.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Does UPS hold packages in random spots instead of delivering early? My t440p has been an hour away since the 16th, with an estimated delivery date of thursday.

Snow storms made my deliveries super slow lately, where do you live?

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

The laptop I'm currently on has a 1366x768 display at 13.3". It's over 2 years old and I love everything about this laptop (u36sd-dh51, asus) except the screen. :(

So yes, gently caress 1366x768... even at 13"

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

LuisX posted:

I am planning on saving up to $3000-$5000 for this, but this might be a bit excessive (up to you guys if I need that much saved up). I'd like to do the upgrade next year.
This is not necessary. Save your money until then and ask this question again when the time comes, profit with the leftovers.

sports posted:

Hate to sound like a broken record, but most people I know own a 15" MacBook Pro and throw Win7 on it if need be.

They are really nice to use plugged in, but they also work really really well off the wall.

Do you even read? Your title suits you.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

DrDork posted:

One of the biggest users of Toughbooks is the US military, which makes having an optical drive basically required, because apparently every single god-damned flash drive, memory card, USB stick, etc., ever made has been infected with hideous Chinese spyware that will steal the keys to the nukes or some crap. Plus for whatever reason, Japan loves staying about 5-10 years behind on any type of computer technology that isn't a cell-phone.

All of this is true, I was in the military (and also in japan).

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

Twiin posted:

Is there a consensus on a PC alternative to an rMBP? I bought an rMBP that I have had nothing but horrible hardware issues with since December, and when I go to pick it up when they're done repairing it I'm going to fight with the manager to try to get a refund.

Something portable with devent battery life, hi-res screen, and ideally killer build quality that can deal with being knocked around here and there. Before the rMBP I had a HP Elitebook Workstation, which was a tank but it weighs something like 8 pounds and only gets 90 minutes on a full charge.

What kind of hardware issues were you having? Genuinely curious because I've only had my rMBP for a month.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

Twiin posted:

Looks pretty solid! Although I'd like to go with a resolution higher than 1920x1080 if possible. The screen was one of the big selling points of the rMBP for me.

Be aware that scaling in Windows is not great, even in 8.1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

SeaTard posted:

Do any vendors still make a laptop with a 1920x1200 resolution? It's almost time to replace my 6 year old work laptop, and I need 1920x1200, 1920x1080 won't work (because of fixed-sized applications).
rMBP uses 16:10. I use 1920x1200 on it.