Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
I'm really, really hoping they'll release a refresh of the yoga 13 with haswell and a 1080p screen, but they've been pretty mum as far as I know since the release of the 11S.

Come on Lenovo, don't let me down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

The Retina 13" right now has pretty good battery life (7+ hr), I wouldn't buy one right now with Haswell around the corner but I doubt there will be huge gains in battery life.

The refurbs won't really get cheaper - Apple is famous for older refurb products being priced strangely high.

Depends on the usage. You'll get a fairly big increase for idle time/watching poo poo.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Seems to me you can upgrade the RAM in most Dells, unless they very recently changed that.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Okay cool, and how long do modern Li-ion batteries last? Some people say 2-4 years others say 1000 charges, or something?

I think the usual standard is 1000-2000 charge/drain cycles

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

PaulC posted:

I don't get what Lenovo's thinking, launching the Yoga 11S and Thinkpad Helix without Haswell...

I want one of their laptops, but I'm not paying over a thousand dollars for a machine with a last-gen processor.

Allegedly, their haswell refreshes are coming on the 13th

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
The reason is that people keep buying the lovely ones anyways, so why fix it?

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

Butt Savage posted:

If I remember correctly, Vizio is trying to be the PC version of Apple. They're looking to achieve that same quality of hardware and only offer stock Windows installations with their systems (which is part of the reason why they're more expensive, no subsidies). Give them a few years and I think they'll get there. Now the question is whether they'll also provide similar customer service.

I had literally never heard of these guys making anything outside TVs before this. They do look pretty good, though. I do find it odd that your CPU choices are AMD or i7 and nothing else though.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

fookolt posted:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7047/the-haswell-ultrabook-review-core-i74500u-tested/5

Anandtech reviews a Haswell ultrabook. I've gone ahead and snipped the part I was most interested in:

Wait for Haswell indeed.

If that ends up holding true in real world usage... :krad:

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Someone in the last thread mentioned that a sales rep told them they'd be announcing refreshes on the 13th

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

sports posted:

You might want to get a Haswell HD 5000 laptop.

Integrated graphics perform just as well as even higher-range mobile GPUs, nowadays.

Not quite, seeing as the 780m is pretty drat close to equivalent to a desktop 680. That said, the HD5000 is still very good.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

sigma 6 posted:

Arrgh. I was going to pull the trigger tonight. Sounds like I should wait one more pay period. Thank you for the prompt response. Leaning towards seeing what the W530 Haswell upgrade will look like. Just wish I knew how long I have to wait.

You're telling me. I'm waiting to pull the trigger on a yoga 13, it's killing me

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

AntimatterSpork posted:

I looked around some other places and the general consensus seems to be "not until september or october", although it's all based on speculation so it could be literally whenever. I can't wait that long, so I'm just getting a refurbished T430.

I actually called the lenovo sales line and they told me that the company wasn't even telling them. With the Y series it was literally just "We're going to start selling these today!"

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

CaladSigilon posted:

I am in the market for another laptop after my Sony is finally biting the dust after five long, hard years of work.

I'm looking for a laptop probably in the 13" range - light but sturdy is very important - and I think I'd like the power-savings of Haswell.

I've been eyeing the newest Sony's, and thinking of maybe waiting for the X Carbon to get Haswell in 2-3 months, but touch screens are just an annoyance to me (I don't use them and they gently caress up the picture), and I'm worried that everything in this size will have one. Is there any company that told Intel to go gently caress themselves re: the ultrabook spec? Should I just deal with it?

Any other suggestions?

Pretty much all of them are going to have touch screens. You're welcome to just ignore it and treat it like a regular laptop though, so I don't really see the problem :confused:

Edit: when you say they gently caress up the picture do you mean you see a difference even when you don't use the touch aspect? I don't think I've ever heard of that, but I also used lovely TN panels until like three months ago so don't go by me. You could look at a MBA?

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Just came to post this.
That SLI 750s has to be a misprint, right? That would be some sweet gaming power in a small form factor if it's not.

But no yoga. God drat it.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

Sony Vaio S, Series 15. Going to take a wild leap and assume they're on the more troublesome end when it comes to poo poo you don't need, since one of their "upgrade" options was a computer with no additional crap installed on it.

Yeah, you'll want to do a clean install. Sony is the worst for that. Expect your first boot with a factory system to take around twice as long as your first boot after you reinstall, if not longer. When I got my vaio a few years ago there were ~30 pre-installed sony apps :stonk:

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

I figured. So how/where do I find network drivers in order to back them up? This is my first time with this process and my google searches aren't being very useful.

This laptop's got Windows 8 pre-installed, if that helps.

http://esupport.sony.com/
Search your model number there and just toss them on a flash drive. I imagine windows 8 will automagically get them for you though.

Edit: if you wanna be real fancy, follow this guide here once you have everything set up the way you want.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/create-custom-refresh-image-in-windows-8/

It walks you through setting up a custom refresh image so that if you ever decide to do a soft reinstall of Windows (keep files but remove programs) you can have all your basic stuff already still there.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 27, 2013

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Yeah, it's hard to recommend a gaming laptop for someone who needs to be able to take it to class and take notes or carry it anywhere ever. You could spend 1500 on a 10lb behemoth that runs hot and tethers you to plugs everwhere or, you could just as easily get like a $250 chrome book to take notes on and watch youtube videos and spend $1250 and build/buy a gaming desktop that will blow literally any gaming laptop on the market completely out of the water while being easier to upgrade later on down the road and still giving you the best of both worlds. If space is a concern, mini ITX systems these days can be tiny and dead silent. There are exceptions for people who for some reason need that much power coming with them everywhere they go, but for the most part you're just spending a lot more to get what is essentially a bad desktop and an even worse laptop.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 29, 2013

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

TenementFunster posted:

I'm about to order an Alienware 14 with the i7-4700MQ, 1080p display and GTX765M. Am I about to do a dumb thing? Should I get Win8? Is it still cheaper to buy the SSD I plan to put in and more RAM separately?

You very probably are. What are you using it for? Do you absolutely need the quad core and GPU? You should get Win 8. Adding RAM and an SSD later depends on your warranty and how easily you can get at them.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
I have trouble trusting a Dell. I've only ever heard horror stories about their consumer line and I see them constantly coming into the shop where I work for repairs. I'm trying to decide between grabbing an XPS 12, Vaio Pro 13, or Yoga 13 (when it gets released with haswell). I like my vaio now, and the pro does look really slick, but I also want the tablet mode of the other two for when I want to just sit on the couch and browse in full screen with the keyboard folded away or do whatever other tablet stuff. I'm hoping the yoga 13 gets refreshed fairly soon. I'd like to pick something up by September for the new school year.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

doomtuba posted:

I have the Vaio Pro 13 and I would highly recommend it based on my limit usage. I'm waiting for the mini Surface tablet to come out which I feel like will be the perfect combination. The Vaio Pro for work and the mini Surface for couch and bed browsing.

I heard it's good, and I do love my current sony. Maybe I'll head over to the sony style at the mall when I'm in Toronto next and try one out.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
The razer blade is lighter than that one? It's also much slimmer and has a bigger battery and a much nicer build quality. MSIs are pretty much just chunks of plastic. That said, if the logo on the Razer bothers you that much you should be able to get it off easily enough. You can de logo stuff without scratching it with a sugar cube (I haven't seen the razer blade in person so I don't know how the logo is on there, though. It may not be possible.)

Edit: the razer blade is about a third of a pound lighter and is 1/5th of an inch thinner at it's thickest than the MSI is at it's thinnest. I don't know about that particular model, but a guy in my program has a similar MSI laptop and it's loud as all hell, as well. If that matters to you.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
I'm in pretty much the same boat as you, actually. I'm hoping the yoga gets refreshed before september as I really like the flip around hinge. I have a sony that's about 4 years old now, and I love it. I'm struggling between there and the yoga. I looked at macs but I kind of hate OSX and I find Visual Studio to be far superior to anything you can get on OSX, for development. Higher res screens than 1080p can be annoying on something as small as a 13 inch, although OSX has good UI scaling and better UI scaling is coming with Windows 8.1. Depends on your needs, really. I have a Windows machine and a linux VM on it for when I need to do terminal/*nix stuff.

Apple machines are really great and a few of the guys in my program have them, but I personally found there were a lot of things that bugged me. Sony makes a very well built laptop as well though, on the Windows side of things. Despite what the people above me said I haven't had any driver issues whatsoever, nor have the three or four people I've recommended them to.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
If desktops are for sure out and that's your budget, shoot for the moon and get a Razer Blade. It's going to have the best build quality outside of a macbook and is probably the highest performing 14" laptop out there in terms of gaming.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

sports posted:

Aren't you the one buying a Razer Blade?

Does that make the Ativ worth more?

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Yogas just had another 100 bucks knocked off (at least in the Canadian store). I'm hoping this means haswell is coming.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
How cheap is cheap? The one you linked is pretty much junk, it's using a two generations old processor and is pretty poor build quality. It's hard to find any direct comparison benchmarks, but I imagine if you found something with Haswell the integrated graphics will blow that card out of the water. What are you going to be doing with this laptop? Just general web browsing/word processing? What's your budget? Are you going to be carrying it to class every day? Do you care if it has a touch screen or not? In all likelyhood, someone is going to recommend you a thinkpad. Try looking at those and seeing if there's any you like. 13 inch is usually best in terms of portability/still being usable, and if you need a bigger screen to work on at home you can always plug it into an external monitor when you're at home.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
You should be able to get a great laptop for your needs for that kind of money, no worries. What kinds of games are you looking to play? If it isn't the latest AAA titles or anything you should be good to go with integrated graphics.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

If you're willing to wait, try this site for watching for laptop deals. There's a constant stream of Ivy Bridge and Haswell laptops, many with discrete GPUs, passing through there each day.

If you just want to play indie games and TF2 then you don't need an NVidia GPU, you'll do great with Intel graphics. And you'll save some money (or you'll get better components for the same price). And your laptop will have better battery life, and it'll be lighter and thinner. There's an HP-Envy 15t-j000 with Haswell (i7-4700MQ) for $800 right now before coupons, and there's a bunch of HP coupons on techbargains right now. I don't know anything about the Envy builds though, they might suck for all I know.

A couple of people have said they suck, although a friend of mine has one and has just been pleased as punch with it, so :shrug:

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
You'll never touch 8, and that would run WoW and Darksiders no problem. Probably even on medium/high.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Trip report: my fiancée decided not to wait for Haswell and bought an IdeaPad Yoga 13. We are quite satisfied. The two downsides are that the trackpad sucks and it heats up a bit more than the thick laptops we're used to. The convertibility is more useful than I would have thought, I've already borrowed it quite a bit to play Civ 5 in touch mode. I'm a little worried about how long the hinge will last if she's constantly switching back and forth to tablet mode but otherwise I'm impressed.

How much heat are we talking? I'm probably going to take the plunge and get one of these when I head back to school in a little over a month. I always use a mouse so I'm not too worried about the trackpad. My current laptop idles at around 52C, so anything under that would be nice. How loud are the fans in general use (ie web browsing)? Echoing the question about how responsive the touch screen is, as well. I don't know how much you leave it unplugged, but do you know how long approximately you get on battery just browsing the internet? If I get one it's primary use will probably be taking notes in class/SSH sessions so I'm curious.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Equally responsive or nearly so, maybe a bit less precise, but all I've done in touch mode is play Civ 5 so it's not much experience with it.

Like, it's uncomfortable to have in your lab on a hot day, but it's doable. I doubt you'd notice from above, i.e. the keyboard, and it's certainly not hot enough to melt your table or anything like that. Where are you pulling that 52C from? I'll download CPU-Z or something and check the temps. I don't think we've once run down the battery, it can take at least 3-4 hours in Civ 5, but I'll have her do an experiment and let it run down and see how long it lasts.

Ninja edit: fans are very quiet.

I'm using speedfan to get my internal temps. When you say it's too hot to put on your lap comfortably, is that during just normal use or playing Civ 5/whatever else?

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
I agree with the yoga weirdness. It doesn't bother me too much, but it would be neat if folding the hinge back would pull the keys down into the body or something.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

sports posted:

The Razer Blade is poorly supported and for all intents and purposes is a Clevo in a mediocre case.

People should also edge away from Sony. Their QC isn't really on par with Thinkpad/Lenovo or Apple. Banned poster "nubdestoryer" owned a Sony Vaio for a total of 3 weeks before it showed the signs of failure.

And I've had my sony for 4 years and it's still as sound as when I got it, minus some wear on the finish where my left palm rests from playing too many games.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
I've been getting by just fine with a small drive on my laptop. When I'm at home all of my stuff is on a plex server on my main desktop and for on the go I stream all my music and if I want videos I keep a season or two of whatever on the laptop. You can also get some really really tiny external drives now (like the size of a deck of cards tiny).

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Build quality on ideapads is no better nor worse than most consumer lines of laptops, which is to say not fantastic but not terrible either. The Yoga line is an exception to this, though.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
He does work for Dell.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Went to go order a yoga today aaaaaand they're no longer on sale. Does anyone have a Canadian equivalent to the B&N link in the OP?

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

unpronounceable posted:

I did a quick search for "lenovo barnes and noble canada", and found this link on the NotebookReview thread that popped up.

Thanks, but I don't have a code for that?

Edit: clicking from the thread directly got me in without a code, that's pretty good! Thanks!
Edit 2: It asks for a code at checkout :(

WHERE MY HAT IS AT fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Aug 2, 2013

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Just ordered my Yoga, I called in and the guy who answered said that since it wasn't on sale anymore and since he couldn't give me the sale price he would give me the lenovo employee discount instead :toot:
I'll post a trip report when it gets here

WHERE MY HAT IS AT fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Aug 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
There's a pretty big variance in the quality of TN panels. IPS is generally better, but not every TN panel is godawful.