Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

agarjogger posted:

If you can live without the little search box which is really good at pulling up the file or program you need very quickly, then you are fine to go with 8. That's the main thing missing, not so much the whole start menu.

Windows 8 is more satisfying, aesthetically, and it boots more quickly. They're otherwise identical but filemanager-type navigation of 8 sucks kind of hard on a PC, IMO.

You can search in the same way on 8 as 7, though. The box isn't there, but just start typing. It works the same. Not sure what you mean on the 2nd point as explorer is unchanged except for the ribbon interface which is an improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

You may want to check and make sure your laptop can push that resolution on the external monitor. Older HDMI specs topped out at 1920 * 1080, just a heads up

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Just got my Yoga. I'll write up a review some time tonight if I have time. If anyone has any specific questions they want answered about it feel free to ask. First impressions are pretty good, although the keyboard is a bit mushier than I would have liked, and the touchpad is predictably crap. The fans are quiet normally, but you can hear them if you're in a quiet room and they're running full tilt. The only other annoying thing I've found is that having the end/home/pg up/pg down keys right next to enter and backspace keys will be frustrating until I get used to the layout. The screen is fantastic though, viewing angles are great and the folding/rotation seems to work quite well.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
I know a guy with the 17 inch one, I have no idea how it isn't making him progressively shorter carrying that thing around all the time.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
I ordered mine on a Friday and it shipped Monday. Who knows?

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Civ 5 and the paradox games are not exactly graphics heavy, you can handle them easily on ivy bridge integrated graphics. Basically with those requirements he can just pick whatever he likes based on build quality.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
You can also always call in and they'll give you the best price they can find. I did that and they ended up giving me the staff price when I ordered my yoga.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
It's best to have a model in mind, preferably the specific configuration you want.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
The only guaranteed 100% accurate answer is "eventually".

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Synergy is fantastic and works well. Just be aware that it won't encrypt your keystrokes when it sends them over your LAN (irrelevant for 99% of people).

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

Russian Bear posted:

What is the thread's consensus on the Lenovo Yoga?

signalnoise posted:

I curious to know how obnoxious it is to use it as a tablet with the keyboard on the back

It's not obnoxious at all once you get used to it. I do find that for lap browsing it's better to use it in what's called stand mode, where the keyboard is folded back, like a laptop in reverse, almost. That said, it works perfectly fine as a tablet.

The keyboard is somewhat mushy on it, but other than that, build quality is fantastic. I can pick it up by one corner and carry it around and it doesn't at all feel like it's going to break. As far as battery life, I get 6-7 hours out of it if I'm just listening to music and reading magazines/websites or what have you. It's really really quite light, and unless you're in a dead quiet room you can't hear the fans at all, even under load. The only portion that ever gets a little warm when gaming (or what passes for gaming on a laptop) is the upper left hand corner of the keyboard. The WiFi range isn't anything to write home about, though, so keep that in mind. My only other issue thus far with it has been the service that controls when the keyboard and mouse disable themselves based on screen position broke itself and could only be fixed with a factory reset. The touchpad is surprisingly good for a windows laptop, although you do have to watch it when you move your mouse right, if you swipe from too far to the left it will thing it's the windows gesture to switch windows which can be a pain in the rear end. If anyone has any specific questions about it I'd be happy to answer. I'm still not entirely convinced I'll be keeping mine, though as that Samsung ultra high res one looks amazing and I tend to use my computer more as a laptop than anything else.

Krakkles posted:

Are there any relatively small laptops (15" would be absolute max, and even then, I'd rather not...) that have decent screen resolution?

I currently use an MBP (pre-Retina) for work, and I've been debating going back to windows, but my must-haves are small size (I travel for work, so I'm literally carrying this every day), decent screen resolution (I'd like 1920x1080 at a minimum, Retina-ish would be nice too), a full-size keyboard (I have big hands), and decent performance.

On that last, I'm comfortable with upgrades, so if I need to throw memory and an SSD in it, that's no problem.

I'm looking at upgrading in the next ... maybe 6 months or so? I'm kind of trying to put it off as long as possible ... I've had this MBP since 2011, and it's still largely adequate, I just find myself wishing for more screen size.

Budget isn't much of an issue ... I'd spend 2k for the right laptop.

When you say full sized, what do you mean? Do you need a number pad or something, or? As far as light and high res take a look at the ativ book 9 plus which despite it's dumb name has a 3200 * 1800 res screen.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/05/lenovo-yoga-2-pro-hands-on/

Well gently caress me. I hope I can still return my yoga!

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

Seamonster posted:

Holy balls! 1080p would have sufficed for a Haswell Yoga and then they go and pull this crazy poo poo. Not too sure if lopping off all that weight is such a great thing though if it means taking it out of the battery. A smaller battery could just wipe out the gains from Haswell, leading us nowhere.

The battery life is up to 9 hours from 6, as well
Edit: just talked to lenovo, I'm able to return mine :toot:

WHERE MY HAT IS AT fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Sep 5, 2013

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

Hadlock posted:

The keyboard only recesses in the Yoga 2.

It's a valid complaint, but most people get used to it within a day or two. That's enough time to lose a sale, which is probably why the yoga 2 does that.

The yoga 2 doesn't do that. The Thinkpad Yoga, however, does. In the yoga and yoga 2 (ideapad versions), the keyboard tray is always recessed a little into the body so that it doesn't hit a surface in stand mode. The keyboard thing is weird, but you honestly do get used to it really quickly.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Yeah, the yoga line is a huge mess now. There's the yoga 13, yoga 11, yoga 11s, yoga 2 pro, thinkpad yoga, and now the ideapad flex models as well!

I want a lenovo/sony collaboration leading to a vaiyoga pro.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
An SD card is going to be slower than even a slow rotational drive, so no.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
On the other hand, I've had a Sony F for going on five years now and the only thing wrong with it is that the battery no longer lasts very long.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
The yoga 2 pro which is coming out this month will have those available, as well as the same high res screen as the Ativ Book 9 Plus. That might fit the bill?

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
I think the red on the keyboard is only the backlight, so that can be toggled off if you don't want (I may be wrong though). Can't speak for the speakers.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
There's no way that price is correct...is there?

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
The 12h battery life on the air is nuts. I bought one to try out, and with how much I'm in class I can get away with only charging it every couple of days.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Droolin over that yoga 2, I hope those prices are accurate, I might even be able to get a 512 ssd :getin:

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Weird, Lenovo says they aren't even shipping from manufacturing until the 28th, so I'll be very surprised (and very jealous) if you actually get one.

Edit:
vvv I hate you so much.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 14, 2013

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

I'll test it around the house tomorrow. I've just used it in my office which is on the same floor and probably 40 feet away from the router, so I've had 5 bars. Any wifi signal software that you can recommend for me to see some actual numbers?

Try out inSSIDer and see what kinds of numbers you're getting at various distances, if you wouldn't mind. Do you know if it sees 5GHz networks?

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Get an 840 EVO, it's the hot new thing on the market right now and appears to be the best thing you can buy.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

Mike From Nowhere posted:

Has the Yoga 2 hit the Canadian Lenovo store yet, via some link I'm missing? The main page just shows the old one.

Nope, and I tried calling and chatting with them. They won't ship to Canada :(

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

MikeJF posted:

Does anyone know what the screen type is on the Thinkpad Yoga? I've looked around but can't find it.

I can't find a source, but I'm fairly certain it's IPS (IIRC).

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

Martytoof posted:

I guess someone over on Reddit says the T440 is now available for preorder through CDW and will ship mid-November.

Ugggh, I probably need a new laptop before then and I'm not sure I can wait, but I don't want to shell out for a non-Haswell at this stage in the game :smithicide:

Anyone have any experience with how lenient Lenovo's return policy is?

I bought a yoga 13 and called them the day they announced the yoga 2 and said I wanted to return it and wait for the new release. They took it back no problem and didn't charge me any restocking fee. YMMV though.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Looks like the yoga 2 pro is about to drop in :canada:, it's up on the site now but prices haven't been filled in. Here's hoping I can get one and it won't take ten years to ship.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

Martytoof posted:

The real question is whether they'll make you get one with that weird bilingual keyboard.

The answer is always yes :( Maybe I'll just drive to buffalo and buy one at best buy :v:

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

dyne posted:

It looks like the same config (8gb and 256gb) is $1200 at bestbuy, which is $120 more than from the b&n Lenovo dealie

Doesn't BB price match though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Both, really.