Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I finally got sick of this netbook I've been struggling with and ordered an x230 off the lenovo outlet for what looks like about half price. There's not much I can do about it now, but do they all come with IPS screens? Will it take a normal size SSD?

Other than that it looks pretty great. Overkill for surfing the net from my bed but I'm sick of having to wait 20 seconds to change tabs in Firefox on this thing.

code:
Lenovo X230 ThinkPad
New (details)
Outlet Price: £945.30*
Reduced Price £549.00

Specifications
    Battery 	6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (Up to 4.5 Hours Run Time)
    Bluetooth 	Yes
    Broadband 	Integrated Wireless WAN: Ericsson
    CPU 	Intel® Core™ i5-3320M (3M Cache, 2.60 GHz)
    Color 	Black
    Condition 	New
    Display 	12.5” HD WXGA (1366 X 768) LED
    FPR 	No
    Graphics 	Intel® HD Graphics 4000
    HDD 	320GB, 7200RPM Serial ATA 2.5" Hard Drive
    Keyboard 	UltraNav (TrackPoint and TouchPad)
    Memory 	4 GB PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM 1600MHz SODIMM Memory
    OperatingSystem 	Genuine Windows 7 Professional 64 - English
    OpticalStorage 	Optical Not Included
    Software 	No Software Included
    Warranty 	1 Year Depot Warranty
    Wireless 	Intel® Centrino Advanced-N 6205 (2x2 AGN)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Brain In A Jar posted:

Hey hey, I posted this in the hardware questions thread and they sent me over here. I'm tossing up between two laptops,

1) Samsung (forgot to catch the model number on this)
2.4 Ghz intel i7
8Gb DDR3 RAM
1 TB SATA HDD
Radeon HD 7670M

2) Sony SVE15129CGB
3.2 Ghz Intel i7-363QM
4Gb DDR3 (+4Gb optional upgrade to a total of 8)
750Gb SATA HDD
ATI HD 7650M 2Gb

They're both researched, and are the two best I've found in my price range and with availability. I'm tempted by the Sony due to the higher clockspeed but at the same time I'm concerned it might be noisy, especially after a year or two.

Ideal use is InDesign with large file sizes, but it wouldn't hurt to play a game or two on there as well.

It's hard to say anything without knowing which models you're comparing. However the Sony E series is a consumer level laptop, I've had one for 3 years and while it's been great for round the house I don't think it would stand up to a significant amount of abuse. I probably wouldn't want to carry it around with me if that's what you're doing.

You've chosen one with a 1366 x 768 screen which would be a bad choice for design work.

This is probably all redundant because haswell integrated GPUs mean that the choices you've made are obsolete - but I'll let someone else come up with recommendations for what you should get (Vaio Pro looks nice?)

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

My x230 arrived yesterday and overall I’m happy with it. The only thing I really dislike is the touchpad, it’s just not a good size or shape and is weirdly rattly. Not good, but not worth returning it and the nipple thing is fine. I started up my Sony E-series to see what applications I should stick on it and in comparison the whole machine is hilariously flexible. The screen on the sony is better though.

I’ve just bought a SSD to stick in it and am wondering whether to just do a clean Windows install on it, ghost over the recovery partition and install from that, or just copy over the whole drive as is. There’s a whole load of preinstalled Lenovo software and it’s not really clear whether it’s useful or necessary. On previous machines I’ve been happy to let Windows do everything, but the Lenovo applications look relatively useful and this machine has the Ericsson WWAN card which I’d like to use.

So can I ask the Thinkpad people here which of those preloaded applications you keep? I got about 110 services running on startup which isn’t making me very happy.

For info the SSD is a Samsung 840 non-Pro 250GB. I was being cheap, don’t hate me.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Bob Morales posted:

No IPS on your X230?

No it's just the standard non premium one. It's not terrible, and weirdly seemed to get sharper aftet I updated the drivers, which I don't understand.

Vvv that's amazing! Not sure I really want to crack open my new laptop's screen case and start mucking about with it.

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jun 14, 2013

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Mega Comrade posted:

I've been hovering over the buy button on that laptop for a week or so now. It's above my planned budget but it's such a highly rated laptop and with such a huge discount I think I'll just spend the extra £100 for £500 extra worth of quality.

You mentioned SSD, what size does it take? The standard 2.5 or the slightly thinner ones?

It's a 7mm 2.5" drive, the same thickness as every SDD I have (Sandisk Extreme, samsung 830 and 840).

When I looked earlier it's been reduced a bit more, £529 now. I noticed just now it doesn't have a webcam - but I think it only has the 2x2 antenna so I don't know what's going on there.

I had a bit of difficulty copying the system over from the HDD to the new SSD, I tried copying the recovery partition with Ghost but couldn't then boot from it. I used a windows 7 pro iso image in the end, but it's apparently not activated and I need to call microsoft to sort it out :-|

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Mega Comrade posted:

No webcam, hmm annoying but I can always just buy a £10 one and keep it in a draw for when I need it.

Apart from the touchpad (I'm a nipple man myself so it doesn't bother me) are there any faults you would lay on it? How's the thickness and weight?

Cheers in advance.

To be honest there really isn't much to fault. The screen isn't very high resolution, it's 1366 x 768, which I thought would be the biggest problem but hasn't bothered me at all so far - I've only been surfing the web though, no work done on it yet. If I had a choice I'd have got a backlit keyboard but not a huge deal I guess. It barely weighs any more than my netbook, I guess it might look a little bit thick next to a macbook air or a new ultrabook, but it's still really small and light. Also because of the construction I wouldn't have a problem with chucking it in a bag where I'd be a bit precious with an Air.

Overall I think it's great for the money.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Damnit there's something rolling around inside my new x230. Sounds like a loose screw or cable inside the front right corner. So annoying! I checked my warranty status and it says 3 year on site, that means someone will come out and mend it, right? Or should I take out the keyboard and have a look?

I don't want to void the warranty but at the same time really don't want to send it away for repair / return it.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Char posted:

What's the best place in Europe to look around for prices?
A T430 for 700$(=540€) isn't a realistic possibility, a new T430 with an i7 is 1500€ on Amazon, but I need a new pseudo-workstation and with these prices I'd rather get a MacBook.

In the UK there's a Lenovo outlet which sells new laptops, where abouts are you? My x230 a couple of weeks ago was £550.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

DrDork posted:

Depends on what laptop you're getting. Apple? You're fine to leave it as is. ThinkPad? A few things here or there you don't need, otherwise largely fine. Pretty much anything else? Be prepared to spend awhile de-loving the bloatware bombs. For most laptops it's not really required to do a clean install, but the time/effort may be lower by going that route vice trying to pull all the crapware out. If you do decide to do a clean install, just ensure you've already downloaded the network drivers onto a USB drive or otherwise have a copy, just in case Windows doesn't pick them up correctly by default.

I was amazed to find that some of the Lenovo preinstalled stuff is genuinely useful - I ended up having to do a clean install anyway, but found myself actually choosing to put some of it back on, which was weird.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

My girlfriend is heading off to medical school and is being provided with a free laptop as part of a grant. The one they’ve chosen is a bit crap, it’s an i3 Fujitsu Lifebook AH512, which as far as I can tell is a Sandy Bridge machine, but you can apparently choose to pay and upgrade it. She doesn’t have a lot of money, say an extra £200 above the cost of the fujitsu at the max, and this would probably be paying list price so no discounts really available. I think 15” is a good size for doing university work – that would be its main use, and also watching movies. I don’t think she’ll be taking the computer to lectures so it doesn’t need to be ultraportable.

So with that in mind what’s the best choice for a ~£450 15” laptop? Am I right in thinking the Fujitsu isn’t likely to be a good machine, and that we need to be finding at least an Ivy Bridge processor? Are budget Haswells out yet? I’d like an i3, and for it to be reasonably sturdy as it’s going to be travelling round a bit.

How about a Thinkpad Edge 531? Listed on the lenovo website as £409.99

ThinkPad E531 
Processor: Intel Core i3-3120M Processor (3M Cache, 2.50 GHz) 
Operating System: Windows 8 64 
Display: 15.6W HD Antiglare, Midnight Black - No WWAN 
Graphics: Intel HM77 - Intel HD 4000 Integrated Graphics (WWAN or mSATA capable) 
Memory: 4GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600MHz SODIMM 
Hard Drive: 500GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm 
Optical Device: DVD Recordable 8x Max Dual Layer w/ SW Royalty for Windows 8

Also I can only see that computer on the lenovo website. In case they can't get hold of it what would be good alternatives?

I think we should probably order it fairly soon as the wheels of this organisation seem to turn fairly slowly.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

David Corbett posted:

Primarily it will be used to do basic computing stuff, such as browsing the Internet and watching videos, but I'd like to play games with it, too.

E: if this is a thing that exists, an HDMI out would be nice.

This makes it sound like you will have be connecting it to a TV, and depending on what it is, and your taste, you could build a really small ITX computer and connect that to it instead. I have one attached to my 40" TV for games, with a wireless keyboard and mouse. It's fantastic. The computer case lives behind my TV and you wouldn't know it's there.

Text is less good on the LCD TV than a laptop though.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

agarjogger posted:

In six months of use in every possible setting, I've found the 2x2 nothing special, and rarely did it find a network that my T61's ThinkPad a/b/g wouldn't have . I would have done much better with the 6300 3x3. Thread pros will remember that I spent many a post trying to justify my choice of the webcam, but I've come to regret it since an external wireless card is so much dumber than an external camera, and I find myself needing one if I want to keep streaming internet radio with the lid closed.

I get by just fine on the 4GB RAM, 8GB would be cool too. When I popped a stick in from another x230, I didn't notice a difference. Buy some on your own and search for Hadlock's post w/photos on installing it.
I also have the Samsung 840 Pro, and it slides right on in on the same rubber bumpers that come with the stock HDD. I'd second your choice of Windows 7, because with 8 you'll lose a lot of ThinkVantage tools whose 8 drivers have not been written. Anecdotally, the Gobi 3000 mobile broadband card works much, much better on x230 w/ Windows 7 than it does on Windows 8. I have licenses of both and downgraded to make the WWAN card stop sucking so much, probably due to contradicting power management schemes and a perma-beta driver. If they offer you this card in one of the configs, take it because it kicks rear end, has a GPS chip, and connects to pretty much every possible network. They'll send it with an AT&T SIM, which you can activate in an emergency at emergency-pricing.

I'd recommend the 9-cell as well. 6 hours is good, but 9 would own.

The Samsung 840 non-Pro fits in exactly the same way. I installed Windows 8 and haven't had any problems installing any of the Lenovo applications, though admittedly I didn't want all of them and ended up with just the power, network and update apps. No problems with the Ericsson WWAN and win 8 either.

The touchpad on the x230 really is very poo poo.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Cokeysmoke posted:

Hi there - I'm most likely going to university in a month, and I'm looking for the standard all-round laptop. Notes, general internet use, and perhaps a bit of gaming (although it's usually low-intensity games, no BF3 or anything). I'm in the UK which is why I'm asking, as I'm unsure if my choices were the same as in America. My budget is £500-£600; $775-$930 according to Google. Of course if there are any suggestions that end up cheaper I won't refuse.

A quick browse gave me this:

http://www.tesco.com/direct/acer-as...&skuId=743-9324

Would this be a terrible choice? I'm thinking that at this price range, nothing will be particularly awful to have, I don't think I'm picky/knowledgeable enough to care about differences between laptops. Thanks in advance!

Edit: A bit longer browsing and I found this -> http://www.johnlewis.com/lenovo-g580i-laptop-intel-core-i5-2-6ghz-4gb-ram-1tb-15-6-metal/p231848023

Lenevo series which this thread says is quite good, plus I have a friend who works there so along with a discount, I'm feeling this might be a very good purchase?

It's only the Thinkpad range that's really recommended by this thread. You should check out the UK lenovo outlet website, I haven't looked for a while but there are often really good offers on there. I got a new (not refurbished) x230 for £550 which is about half price, I'd think that would be a good choice for uni if you can stand 1366 x 768 resolution. Not Haswell, of course.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Mutation posted:

I tried Windows 8 with all it's Metroness, I changed my operating behavior and became more win key + typing efficient. I even customized Metro and memorized icon positions on the screen so I can quickly hit the windows key and click an icon.

Three months later I installed Start 8, realized how loving stupid all that was, and reinstalled Windows 7.

Yeah, same (except without the downgrade to 7). Win 8 + Start8 is really great, installing start8 made me realise how much I'd been being frustrated by the start screen. It also completely distracts you when you're working, if you want to open a new application you have to go into a completely different environment.

I also particularly hate how the music app first takes you to the store rather than your music collection. I don't want to give you any more money, fuckers! The Plex app is fantastic though.

Seeing the Yoga Pro 2 is making me slightly regret buying this x230... I think it would have been perfect. Ah well.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

89 posted:

Alright, I've talked to her a little further and she's open to the idea of a laptop without a touchscreen and thinks a stylus would be more functional for her needs. So, I feel like a jerk asking such a vague question, but with what I listed, what direction do I need to look for maybe a $500-$700 laptop that'll get the job done?

- Super reliable, this is her grad school computer
- Great battery life
- Needs to run Minecraft, which I know every computer will. It doesn't have to be hot on the graphics card.

Just incase there's any crazy deals out there like, at this moment...

You're going to need to give more information about what she's going to use it for - if she needs a stylus does that mean graphic design? Photoshop? It has a big impact on how much power, screen size, etc she needs. Is she going to carry it to classes? What is she used to using? I don't know of any laptops that have a stylus but aren't touchscreen.

I'm not in the US but over here Vaio Pros are £750, light, high res, Haswell, touchscreen.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Lakitu7 posted:

The workplace is very strongly Windows. The other folks with Apples pay a hefty tax in software support headaches I don't want to deal with, and honestly I'm just not much a fan, though I totally acknowledge that people are justified in telling me to buy MBA with what I said. Chromebooks and Android Tablets with keyboards would definitely be the way to cheap out, but I've already got an android phone and android tablet and they're lovely for consuming media but don't feel right to me for a business machine. This time around I'm more looking to get something nice than cheap out, I guess, so long as I'm not being ripped off.

The thing that really drives me to a larger, nicer screen is reading PDFs. It's a rather frequent use case and the main thing drives me to upgrade from the tiny low res netbook. For that reason I'm definitely leaning more toward T440s than X240. They come out to literally the same price to the cent when configured as I think I would. X series sounds like the right design philosophy but there's no 14" outside the Carbon and I don't think I want to give up the interchangeable batteries.

I don't see a 9-cell option. Do you mean the 3cell "front" + 6cell "rear" option? I really like how the upgrade from 3+3 is a whole $5 :)

Sony Vaio Pro? They come in 11" and 13", both have a 1080p screen, Windows, super thin and light.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Monoclinic posted:

This thread is fantastic, and lurking here has helped me select a new laptop after my old Dell Inspiron 1501 finally kicked the bucket.

For those like Martytoof who upgraded a new Lenovo HDD to an SSD, do you have any advice on software/driver installation after a clean install of Win 8? Will Windows Update grab most of the hardware drivers, and is any of the Lenovo software worth installing? I've got a T440s on the way along with some extra RAM and a 250 GB SSD, and looking at the drivers and software page on the Lenovo site shows a whole whackload of stuff. Thanks for any info!

I did this with my x230 earlier this year. I tried and failed to copy the recovery partition over intact and eventually did a clean install of win 8. From there you can install Lenovo System Update which will deal with drivers and lenovo software. I haven't changed this computer to 8.1 yet.

I had a problem with the card reader driver which would occasionally run the cpu at 100% but I uninstalled it and I think it's using a native windows one.

Unusually the lenovo stuff is quite useful rather than pure bloatware. I've kept the power management, access connections, hotkeys... and I think that's it. Will check when I get home. I ignored solutions center,

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

shrughes posted:

My lifehack advice is to remap caps lock to ctrl, unless you're one of those Vim users that has already remapped it to Esc. Then, don't whine (at yourself) about how you're not used to it, instead, get used to it. There's instructions on how to do it for every OS on the Emacs wiki.

There's a BIOS option on Thinkpads to swap the Fn and Ctrl keys back to where they usually are.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Hi laptop thread. I have a couple of questions about the yoga 2 pro - was the backlight issue sorted, is there any point going for an i7 over an i5 (pretty normal use, not trying to transcode or anything) and is the ram easily upgradeable from 4gb on the i5 version?

Just found I get a good discount and a friend wants one...

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

kaworu posted:

This is a bit of a tangent, but I honestly don't get why people view big gaming laptops as so niche or useless.

It's because if you basically never move your laptop you can spend less money on a desktop that's dramatically more powerful and quieter. I think mine was £800 and it's completely ridiculous. Probably still have enough money left over for a cheap laptop or chromebook.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Looking at laptops for my uncle. Has to come from Currys (UK store). Basic use is emailing/photo and music storage/web surfing. Budget is up to £600, though that's probably more than is needed.

I've had a look through the Currys web site and thought about these: ACER Aspire V5-573P/

TOSHIBA Satellite L50t-B-11G

HP Pavilion 17-e153sa

I'd like to recommend him this Lenovo G5070, but it's out of stock.

Edit: How's this one: Leonovo Z50-70? The dedicated graphics is unnecessary of course, but it looks like a nice machine.

Why does he have to get it from Currys? They are idiots and it makes this difficult. Bacically he doesn't need much, you can get a Chromebook from there for not a lot of money, or otherwise go and look at anything with an Intel processor and see what the screen is like.

If he can possibly buy from not-currys he could get this
or this

which are great machines for the money.

e: this one has a better screen

Double edit: Dell business line laptops are also good and cheap from their outlet

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Aug 9, 2014

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Hey goons, I'm preparing for an upcoming deployment, and I'm looking for something simple that I can use to watch porn movies and store pictures of [/s]naked women[/s] my family, and all the cool places I will see. I don't know a drat thing about laptops. A smaller size would be better, since space will be at a premium. Pretty much my only requirement is lots of space for movies, and I'd like to keep things under $500. I don't care about track pad quality or speakers, because wireless usb mouses and head phones are a thing.

I tried skimming the thread and searching amazon/newegg, but that was opening a can of worms, because seriously guys, laptops, I don't know crap about them.

Also I am a windows guy.

I know this is a couple of days old but I have some experience of both laptops and deployments so here's 2p: Generally the environment is pretty much the opposite to what's good for computers so you need something a bit more robust than a standard consumer type laptop. Lots of friends' basic plasticky machines just disintegrated, I'd recommend getting a business type laptop like a thinkpad or dell latitude as it will stand up to the environment and being bashed around a bit.

If you get on the lenovo outlet website you will probably find a T or maybe X series thinkpad for around your budget which will do the job. The other models are crappy so avoid them. If there's nothing on the outlet then look through ebay to find recent used models (x230 or x240), they'll be previously used by businesses but that shouldn't be a concern considering what you're about to do to it.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

General_Failure posted:

Brief trip report for the Hitachi TravelStar 7200RPM.

No nasty drive layout surprises. Everything was totally stock layout wise so fitting the caddy and slipping it into the VAIO only took me a minute or two. The computer didn't bitch about anything. All smooth.

I used that utility for downloading a recovery and opted for Win8.1 Pro x64 as that's what the VAIO had. Windows was oblivious to the hardwired product key so I had to use the key from my "spare" (was earmarked for a Steambox) Win8 upgrade license when it asked.

Installation was quick and easy. Scraping together all the drivers was not. I got them from two different Sony regional sites and had to grab some from the Win8.1 and some from the Win8 sections, and do a lot of searching on the web for device IDs to work out what was broken.

The VAIO (or is it Vaio? Am I capitalizing correctly?) is way faster than it used to be. Hard drive access with the OE WD Blue drive was like taking a constipated dump. I always wondered if it was drive or chipset related. The answer would seem to be drive. It was a worthwhile upgrade to make the SVE14A35CG a way snappier computer.

I should also note that on day 0 I upgraded it to 8GB RAM which helps too.
My partner is relieved that she doesn't have to use her old Toshiba Satellite any more. I dragged it back out when the Sony died. Ughhhh.

Why didn't you put a SSD in it? Do you have a space to put a mSATA drive in for your boot drive rather than relying on just a HDD? At this point actual hard disks are pretty old fashioned.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Hadlock posted:

A couple senior managers have E7XXX laptops and from what little I've played around with them they are really nice yeah. Dell's high end stuff has gotten really good post-2012.

I just got an E7250 for work, it is pretty nice but the keyboard is a really shallow travel one. Not a patch on my X230.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Paperhouse posted:

Quoting this

I've read around and it seems as though the X250 screen is much nicer too. I'm used to a 15.6" laptop though and am wondering if I want a screen that small, even if it is nicer. Is the T450 screen really that bad? Bear in mind that I'm using a Lenovo G550 at the moment which was a budget consumer laptop even 5 years ago when I got it, and I don't really have an issue with the screen, though I've not had much to compare it to. Help me decide, I keep swaying between them!

I have an x230 and while I really like it if you don't need the portability and are used to 15.6" I would get a larger (and 1080p) screen. Also I have a dell e7250 for work which seems to get recommended here, and while it is a bit slimmer the thinkpad is a way better computer to work on. If I needed a new computer it would definitely be a x250 or t450(s).

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

fuf posted:

I'm looking for a refurbished x220, x230 or x240 and I'm worried about the trackpad.

I sold my top end T440s a couple of years ago because I couldn't stand the loud-rear end CLICK-CLACK trackpad. It sounded like poo poo and made it impossible to click-and-drag. Does the x240 have the same trackpad? It kind of looks like it does from this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJy3VtOGuqU

Anything else to look out for between the x220, 230 and 240?

The trackpad on my x230 is terrible and I never use it. I think it's the weird knobbly surface, it's just completely imprecise. I don't think I've ever attempted to use the click function of the trackpad. (edit: just did and it's awful, makes the cursor move when I click)

However the trackpoint nipple thing is excellent and I wouldn't use the trackpad even if it was the best available. The x240 (or your previous T440) is the one to avoid or possibly replace the trackpad as it doesn't have the physical buttons of the other versions.

The x260 is out now so a new or refurbished x250 could be pretty cheap. On UK ebay they're sub-£500.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Ended up buying a refurbished T460 with all the features she wanted other than the backlit keyboard for $620, thanks for the help all.

Super late to the game here but Thinkpad keyboards are easy to replace and you can probably pick up a backlit one for a few bucks.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

RobertKerans posted:

My GF is looking for a very cheap laptop for basic day-to-day stuff; a lot of typing, Office, web, some videos, listening to music. She sometimes checks out a tiny little 11-12" laptop (some HP or Dell thing I think) for when she's working from home, & is quite enamoured with it in terms of size & usability; it's basically a netbook that interfaces to her work desktop VM. She's on maternity now so doesn't have access to that, so she needs something that'll run Windows (so no Chromebook) with Office, is easy to lug around with a baby on one arm, and can survive the baby.

She wants to spend as little money as poss (it's not like she'll be gaming on it), & has said she'd be happy enough with a refurb. My main question here is whether something like an X220 is still a viable purchase in 2017. Specs-wise, apart from the graphics, it still seems to blow any similarly-priced (£2-300) modern cheap laptop out of the water, but it's a 6-year-old computer.

Sitting here typing this on a X230, it's still totally fine for basically everything apart from if you wanted to play games on it. I do quite often think about replacing it with something new but ultimately it would be just because I wanted to rather than any actual need.

It's built super solidly and way better to type on than my Dell work computer which is an e7250 - their equivalent machine.

I think the x230 got an improvement in battery life over the 220 which was again increased with the 240 etc. I would definitely recommend one.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Fragrag posted:

How future-proof is it at the moment actually? I'm in the same situation as the quoted person, and I found a refurb X230 that I want to recommend to my girlfriend. I'm thinking of mainly sourcing replacements for the battery and such.

Well obviously it depends what you want to do but I would think it will still be ok for at least a couple of years. Battery on this thing still lasts a few hours working (I don't really notice a huge difference from new). For office docs and web browsing I can't really see how it would get that far behind the curve.

One thing you could do is replace the keyboard, cheap and easy to do and makes it feel quite a bit newer. I replaced mine with a backlit one which is super useful. Oh and of course put in a SSD if there isn't one in already.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Rushputin posted:

Thanks for the input. Maybe I'll look around for university sales or something, but I'm pretty sure I will reconsider what kind of machine I need in the first place. I was going for a good all-arounder (preferably with a numpad, but you can't have everything), but considering I still have a decent desktop PC and don't usually spend extended amounts of time in other locations I will probably focus more on a mix of portability and having the right ports and non-annoying keyboard layouts.

But holy poo poo, even though it's still pricey, there really is an absurd difference between Lenovos' own prices and third-party ones. If they have a convenient payment plan or I muster the patience to wait another month or so I just might be tempted after all.

Apologies for being a lazy infrequent poster but I'm sure there are both DE Lenovo and Dell outlet sites. The UK Lenovo outlet closed but I thought the euro ones continued.

fake edit: I can't make it work from here in the UK but Dell at least must have an outlet. You can get a decent business class lapentoppen for €600, get a 7000 series something

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Jeza posted:

Hello laptop-knowers. I'm looking at buying a laptop. I've been on an ancient Samsung Chromebook for a number of years, which I ended up buying twice because I liked it a lot and it was dirt cheap for what it did. However, it is coming apart at the seams more or less literally.

So now that I am made of money, I am in need of a more business orientated laptop, however I have a very long checklist of things that I want, and I need some direction:

- Needs to be available in the UK
- Budget of ~$2000 but I am flexible
- Should weigh no more than 2kg
- Needs a battery life 12+ hours, the longer the better
- Screen should be high quality, and shouldn't be more than 14"
- Build quality needs to be bulletproof, as I take it everywhere I go
- Not vital, but I'd really like discrete graphics in case I ever want to play some lovely games or need to use Photoshop/Illustrator
- In terms of processor/ram, I don't need the world but commensurate to that price range is OK.
- Space I'm flexible on, I can have 256gb no problem, although it should be SSD
- I would very much like to be able to open it and change parts myself, or at least have a nice warranty

At the moment I've been looking at the Lenovo Carbon X1 Thinkpad and the T470P. The specs of the T470P are customisable to pretty much hit all of those, but everything about the X1 Carbon is more or less perfect except that it doesn't have discrete graphics.

So what else should I be considering in a similar vein? I could also be convinced to consider a much cheaper and more minimalist Chromebook style laptop that is also bulletproof and fast, but honestly after all these years I'd quite like to run an exe without running Linux within the ChromeOS.

I have a UK EPP code that should work for a bit of a reduction, hit me up with a PM if you want it.

edit to add that my experience with thinkpads has been great for durability and ease of replacing bits.

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 12, 2017

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I didn't see it mentioned but the new X1 tablet looks really interesting:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12253/lenovo-reengineers-thinkpad-x1-tablet

I had planned on getting a x1 yoga but maybe this is a better option.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

El Grillo posted:

x270

e2: also £659 for a brand new one, woop

Ohh... where did you see this?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

How easy is it to replace the screen on a x270? I really like my x230 and the only issue is the lovely screen resolution. I'm considering getting one with a 1366 x 768 off ebay and sticking a 1080 screen...

I'm not too hamfisted with assembling things but would draw the line at having to modify bits of the computer.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Awesome thanks.. bit the bullet with a "new: other" x270 for £450. It's an 8GB one, I can't remember how it's arranged on the x270 - any idea if there is always some soldered and 1 slot for a stick, or will it just be the 8GB occupying the only room?

Guess I will wait for it to arrive and see what precise model it is and work on upgrading.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I did this with an x260, it was absurdly easy and didn't require any tools. The only issue I found is that the 1080p display was slightly smaller than the 768 one, so it didn't clip into the housing properly. Apparently there's a whole other rear display housing part for the 1080p model, but frankly, gently caress that noise. I put some black Sugru into the inside corners and sides of the housing, squished the display in, put the bezel on and made sure it was centered while it was still soft. Now it's rock solid and probably more durable than the original mount, and I can just cut away the Sugru if I need to replace it again.

If you don't want to gently caress with it that much you could just hunt down the right display housing, but it's a rare part and I'm not gonna spend $70 on a piece of plastic when $3 worth of silicone does a better job.

Just make sure that the edp port lines up with where the cable comes out in your display housing. For my x260 it's off-center, so I had to make sure I got a display with an off-center port. You can check Lenovo's website, they give you lots of detail for field repairs.

Looks like these are the bits that will fit the FHD screen. Not too painful. Thank you for the heads up.

code:
WV4 FRU LCD COVER SMALL CHUNQIU				01HW945	€28.50
WV4 FRU  LCD BEZEL for small panel for camera		01HW949	€15.00
.. agh the parts ordering website is not good. Won't accept GBP and also won't let me change the currency my account uses!

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

My X270 arrived. It's certainly a lot slimmer than my X230 and seems super slick in operation. It doesn't have a backlit keyboard as was stated on the ebay ad... it was pretty cheap though and as a bit of a project to 1080p-ify it maybe it's worth keeping.

It came with Windows 10 installed (not Win 7) and none of the Thinkpad software so I am going to explore it a bit and see if it's worth keeping. Bit of a pain about that keyboard though.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

AverySpecialfriend posted:

I thought backlit keyboard was standard? Does it not work or is there just nothing on fn spacebar?

Fn-spacebar does nothing

Also the fan seems to be on quite a lot. I like the monastic silence of the X230.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Google Butt posted:

Yeah. I ordered an IPS x230 on ebay today because I needed something now, so I was just curious. This will hold me over until the t480 drops to a reasonable price, figure I can just resell this as they appear to hold their value pretty well.

Yeah the x230 is still completely fine for day to day use, though I would think doing the FHD mod is really a waste of time and money. The keyboard is also a bit better than my x270.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Bob Morales posted:

We had an engineer quit and he turned in his laptop, T540p.

Taking a quick check of the system, that loving touchpad :smithicide:

Because of the lack of physical buttons or the trackpad itself? I think I used the pad on my x230 about 10 times in 5 years it was so inaccurate.