Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Probably gonna get poo poo on but, I'm looking for an affordable laptop that can play HD video. Currently using an Aspire One 722-BZ454 bought used but it can't run HD without the 1GHz cpu hitting 100% and hicupping. Screen size, battery size, HDD, graphics, keyboard and weight don't matter. Also, should I go used or is that a bad idea when buying a laptop?

e: The OP's selection is overkill, unless I should just get a Chromebook? How are they? Any cheaper options?

rizuhbull fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Sep 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

What's your guys' opinions on used vs refurbished? I'm looking to buy a budget laptop for netflix and light gaming (mmos, hearthstone, gba emulator). Eyeing the Lenovo T420 thinkpad that Newegg has used for $200 shipped, but they also have some $160 refurbished. Thoughts?

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Got a stupid question here: I recently purchased a T420, but I can't seem to get the NVIDIA NVS 4200M GPU to activate.

As I understand it; the laptop has two GPUs, Intel HD Graphics 3000 and NVIDIA NVS 4200M. The former saves battery power and the latter is more powerful. I installed the driver (http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/Laptops-and-netbooks/ThinkPad-T-Series-laptops/ThinkPad-T420/downloads/DS014142) and the manual just says "If your computer supports NVIDIA Optimus Graphics, the Graphics Processing Unit is switched automatically depending on the settings of the power plan you use."

I've read some posts on various forums saying it switches automatically, but Hearthstone runs like garbage so I find that hard to believe, at least in my case. I've also read you need to switch it on in the BIOS, but there is no option for it. Under DISPLAY it just has LCD, VGA, etc. No mention of either GPU anywhere I can find. Should also mention I'm running W7 64-bit.

rizuhbull fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 21, 2016