Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
It’s Labor Day and I have a new Amex platinum card so I figure now is as good a time as any to buy a new laptop. I’m currently using the cheapest HP I could find in 2014 with an i3 core and a graphics processor that can’t even handle old strategy games.

Absolute necessity is a decent camera since this is mainly going to be used for school and a solid chassis would be nice since this plastic piece of poo poo is cracked, broken, bent, and warped. That this computer functions at all is a miracle having travelled around the world and now gets tossed into a backpack that gets tossed into a backseat.

Main focus is on something that is reliable and fairly quick, I’ve seen this thing take 10+ minutes to boot up but being able to play strategy games on decent settings would be a plus. I’m aiming for $2000 but can go a little higher if something is a really good value. I can also possibly tack on a student discount or veteran discount if possible.

Also wouldn’t mind it being a 4K screen but being touchscreen is a major preference for me at this point.

If there is anything else you guys need please let me know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
Ok so I may have grossly confused when Labor Day actually is. Still thank you for the advice, I may have made it seem like webcam quality itself was the biggest need but as long as it has one and is decent that’s enough. While some kids on Zoom are markedly clearer than others I am easily the most potato looking and sounding in pretty much every chat.

Will probably end up spending the money on an XPS, just looking at this as an investment to get me reliably through grad school and for a little bit wherever I end up after that and the XPS seems to be about as good quality as you can get for the price point.

Might pick up an eGPU in the far future especially with Nvidia’s announcement.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
Thanks again for all the advice but I did mostly want pop in here one more time just to say that I did see someone today with a cracked camera lens that looked like someone smeared it with Vaseline so at least I no longer have the worst webcam.