Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
I recently started doing app development/game design, and have always done video editing, graphic design and gaming. My 3 year old Macbook Air was struggling, and I got tired of renting workstations. I also recently got a bonus at work, and figured what the hell.

I decided to order this laptop yesterday: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834198042&cm_re=fangbook-_-34-198-042-_-Product .

Between a 500 dollar rebate from work and the 450 dollars off, this felt like a good deal that would be hugely future-proofed. Where I could find reviews of it, it reviewed well. It looks like the RAM is expandable to 32 GB (though god knows when I'll need that), I can add a SSD if I feel the need, and the graphics card/processor certainly seem like they'll be enough for a while. Basically, I want to be able to do all the things I'm doing now for at least the next three years on this machine.

I couldn't find anything as powerful for a similar price, but I might not have been looking hard enough and would love some goon opinions before I decide whether or not to keep it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0150 posted:

I think the biggest commentary is that is a 17" laptop and those typically defy conventional portability. Is there a reason you went >15"?

i actually thought about this for a while. I really like having the screen real estate, and most of the places that I would bring it have large desks for me to use. Also, I use a pseudo hiking backpack for class and life so it shouldn't be a big deal physically fitting it.

I think what really decided it for me is that I still have the Macbook Air for traditional "I need a portable computer" stuff, whereas this will serve as a desktop replacement (I move around a lot ad bringing a normal desktop just isn't feasible).

I'm glad the rest seems good though, I was hoping that'd be the case.

e: I'll report back once it arrives, and definitely get a feel for if it's just too big.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

I'm looking for recommendations for a new travel/class laptop, ideally under $350.

At minimum, I'd like:

4 gb ram
250 gb hard drive
12"or smaller screen
the ability to run Windows 10

Portability and battery life are important as well, any recommendations you have would be much appreciated.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

XBOX 1080! XBOX 3600! XBOX 1,000,000!

I think once they comitted to 360 they knew they'd hosed up any chance of a reasonable progression of names.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Mutant Standard posted:

How dumb is it to get a Fangbook from CyberpowerPC?

I've had one for two years, on sale it's a great price point for the specs. Mine hasn't fallen apart, but just recently (at a little over the 2 year mark) I've noticed that the left half of the screen has a growing blotch where the color saturation is very off. The 17 inch is also not really a laptop anymore, just a portable desktop, but has worked well with everything I've used it for.

If it weren't for the screen thing, I'd have no complaints, but as it is, I'd suggest going for something like an XPS or Thinkpad if you're willing to pay the premium for durability. Otherwise, if you're going to get an equivalent quality computer, you could do worse -- screen discoloration as the only complaint 2 years in is not bad.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

Only buy real Thinkpads (T, P, or X series) from Lenovo. Everything else is junk.

A Clevo or Sager isn't going to be built any better.

Yeah, anecdotally the bit of my Sager that the power cord plugs into fell off just after my warranty expired, and it was apparrently some weird discontinued this-model-only part that was just about impossible to find elsewhere, and Sager customer service was not even a little bit helpful with locating a replacement part for me to buy.

It was such a tiny problem that put it out of comission for a long, long time and was way more frustrating than it had to be. Good otherwise, and not on the same scale as that Lenovo saga, but also not an experience that makes me want to buy from them again.

E: as a point of comparison, I dropped my Macbook Air on concrete (it was fine) and 4 years later it hasn't had a single problem.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Anecdotally my sager from 2010ish started to fall apart a bit right after the warranty ran out - - the most annoying part was the connection for the power adapter falling out (e: the little pin in the machine itself, that apparently hosed up the back panel somewhat in doing so), leaving it unable to charge. Theoretically that would be an easy fix, but apparently it was proprietary and discontinued, and Sager was really unhelpful - - they couldn't even point me towards a replacement.

Ultimately I did manage to jury rig a replacement, and the more expensive components mostly lasted for a while (although eventually the case fell apart) , but I haven't bought a computer from them since to avoid dealing with that again.

That said, even with the various maintenance issues it was still a good value, and I don't know if my computer was just a special case or if support has improved. It sounds like other people have had better experiences so mine definitely could be the exception.

foutre fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 7, 2016

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

That link goes to a camera lens, prolly wanna edit it the real one in!

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

I'd like to get a laptop for bringing to class and taking notes on/browsing the internet. If possible, I would also like to be able to play Hearthstone.

Battery life and portability are the most important things for me, so I was thinking I'd get a Chromebook (one of the ones that will eventually have the ability to run Android apps).

From checking the thread, I was going to get the cheapest config of the Dell Chromebook 13: http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Magnesiu...rectOnSuccess=1 .

From reading reviews, it sounds like it has a much better battery/keyboard/build quality than the Toshiba Chromebook 2, but a slightly worse screen/processor. It seems like the latter differences are pretty negligible, and a very long battery life would be really helpful (I have a lot of very extended class times and odd schedules).

Does anyone have experience with both/either machine? I'm ok spending more on the Dell if it will probably be more durable/have a better keyboard -- I'm going to be typing on it a ton, but thought I'd double check here.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Hadlock posted:

USB C charging alone makes the HP Chromebook a serious one to look at, yeah. Especially if you have a mid-grade or better Android phone, as they're all going to have USB-C soon. You want to be on that train when it leaves the station.

Also the screen is not supposed to suck much. No word on the keyboard yet though. Probably ok. Laptop mfgs seem to have clued in to keyboard feel in the last 3-4 years.

bull3964 posted:

I managed to order one on Friday and if should arrive by Thursday. I'll be able to directly compare it to Toshiba Chromebook 2 (2014).

Ok, the HP Chromebook does look better, I didn't realize USB C charging was available in non-Pixel chromebooks. I'm glad I asked here first. Ideally I'd have it by next Tuesday for class/work starting, so I might just order one now, see how I like it and just return it if I have to, can always just buy a Dell locally. Speaking of, where's the best place to buy it from? Looking on the google website, it looks like Promevo is the designated reseller -- is that where I should look as well?

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

So, my current laptop just died so rather than a chromebook I want to get a replacement.

I'm going to be using it for taking to class, a lot of note-taking/word processing, programming, and playing LoL/Hearthstone. I would prefer a 13" screen, or a small form-factor 14 or 15", good battery life, and a decent keyboard. I would generally prefer longer battery life over higher resolution/touchscreens.

Budget: Under $1,400, ideally lower unless there's some compelling reason to spend more.

I've been looking at the XPS 13/15 and the 13 inch ASUS Zenbook (UX303UB), but I'm having trouble figuring out which configuration to get, and would appreciate some guidance.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Is there an XPS 13 with Intel 540 graphics that isn't one of the touchscreen models with reduced battery life?

I found one of the 'gold edition' ones for a pretty big discount and went for it; it's a QHD touchscreen/i7/8gb ram/Intel 540 that is really nice to use but the battery is pretty underwhelming. It sometimes last about 6 hours, but sometimes gets closer to 3 or 4.

Reading around, it sounds like the two main offenders are the i7 versus the i5 and the touchscreen. If it would make a significant difference, I would rather give up the touchscreen than the i7, but I'm having trouble finding a model that fits the bill. Is the deal basically that if you go for the non-touchscreen you go for an i5? Given that I'm only going to be using this for note-taking/writing/some programming on the go (Python mostly), is there even a compelling reason to have the i5?

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

DIdn't realize that was possible, thanks!

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

NewFatMike posted:

More of a convenience buy for me. It's definitely not budget friendly, although the other eGPU enclosures are going to be significantly cheaper. I just won't have to deal with syncing files across various platforms or whatever depending on where I am. I can just take the same machine around for home office, gaming, and working out of the house and just using a few docks.

I also get a certain amount of utility out of it just being a novelty, too.

Comparing it to a gaming laptop rather than a desktop system makes it a little more reasonable, I think. You can pick up a base model Razer Blade Stealth, Core, and RX 480 for the same price I got my MSI GS60 last year, but you get 4x the battery life, more powerful graphics, and a nicer screen. I know it's not strictly apples to apples because you get a dual core processor and technology marches ever onward, but for a year over year change for the same nominal price, I think that's pretty darn good.

Is the consensus that the Razer Stealth + Core is better than a 13 inch Alienware + Graphics Amplifier?

I got an Alienware R2, and was planning on getting a graphics amplifier + graphics card once the 1060 etc. come out. I chose the Alienware over the Razer because in part because it had better specs for the price (the 16gb of RAM was an especially important difference, I'm going to be doing a good bit of data analysis etc. on it)/seemed more upgradeable, as far as I could tell, and second because the Alienware graphics card dock is $170 to the Razer Core's $499, which is basically the price of the video card I would buy to accompany it.

Does this logic seem reasonable/does anyone have experience with something similar? I know Alienware has a bad reputation, but as someone that's going to be moving a lot/have limited living space for the next few years, needs a laptop for class/travel and wants to game this seems like an appealing solution.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Thanks for all the info on the Alienware Amp.

On a related note, I was looking through the VR requirements (thinking about potential cards to put in in the future) and it looks like the processor in the Alienware 13" might end up being a bottleneck in the future, certainly for VR but maybe in general. It's a Dual Core i7-6500U. Would having a processor like that as opposed to a quad core end up limiting its ability to play games that the external GPU would theoretically allow for?

I've got a very rudimentary knowledge of tech and am not really sure what the difference is between U/HQ/etc.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Atomizer posted:

On this whole subject, the thought that comes to mind is that this is exactly where the external graphics has a use. If you got the Amp now, used it with your current laptop for a while, then you could keep the Amp and video card to use with the next laptop once you grow out of it. Of course, this is partially negated by the fact that the Amp is a proprietary solution, so at best you'd have to buy another Alienware laptop, but the scenario would hold true with something like Razer's generic Core.

Yeah, that's true, the proprietary bit kind of messes up the flexibility aspect. Also, the keyboard on this laptop just stopped working entirely within the first week (the backlight, of course, still works) so I think I'm just gonna return this and get something more reasonable.

Hadlock posted:

People making long term investment plans regarding VR on laptops makes me irrationally angry.

The Iron Rose posted:

Just buy a desktop christ.

Yeah, I think it was mostly my tech illiteracy giving me hope on this one. I see what you're saying, I'll stop thinking of it that way. Realistically, the point at which I have room for a VR set up I'll have room for a desktop anyway, or I can just get a mini-ITX or something instead.

NewFatMike posted:

XXXXU versus XXXXHQ processors

Good to know, thanks. I didn't realize what that meant, just had a vague idea that one was better and definitely wasn't weighing that like I should have been.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

I mean, the new Gigabyte/Aorus lines have 10xx (including 13.9" 1060) they're just more expensive atm. Definitely look better though...

e: See xoticpc: http://www.xoticpc.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=gtx+1070+laptop and http://www.xoticpc.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=gtx+1060+laptop

1060 for $1,229: http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8152-clevo-p650rp6.html

1070 for $1,529: http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8153-clevo-p650rs.html

I think I might just wait for more 14" laptops to come out with the 1060, but poo poo we'll see.

e: Actually, this looks pretty good: http://www.xoticpc.com/gigabyte-p55wv6-pc3d.html. 15", 1060, ~1,550. Definitely glad I waited.

foutre fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 16, 2016

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

The Iron Rose posted:

sure does, but at least it's less ugly than the competition

The Gigabyte laptops look fairly normal, and apparently they're doing a refresh of the Aero 14 (right after it's finally available) with a 10xx card which should be good.

But that's a 3-500 dollar premium for potentially some battery life and less bad aesthetics, so probably not worth it...

e: Like, this has potentially 32 gb of ram, a 1060 and a i7-6820HK in a 13.9" laptop, but it's so much more expensive. My semester starts in late september, guess I'll try and wait as long as I can to see if more smaller 1060 laptops are released.

foutre fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 16, 2016

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

I had a Sager for ~3 years in 2011 that was a great deal in terms of price for performance , but ended up having a sort of complete collapse ~1 year out of warranty; a couple parts failed that were complicated to try and fix, the motherboard got hosed up in a way I didn't totally understand, and their customer service wasn't helpful at all. Before that it was good as a mostly stationary desktop-replacement, and if you're more tech savvy maybe the issues would be more navigable.

e: Mine was a Clevo, which I'm pretty sure all Sagers are -- iirc, Avadirect is also a good source for barebones Clevos. From reddit, but this seems like a pretty good guide to Sagers/Clevos in general: https://www.reddit.com/r/SuggestALaptop/wiki/clevo

The Iron Rose posted:

to be fair, even just looking at the various images there's the cheap bulky and plasticky $1600 1070 MSI/Asus models, and then there's the nicer models for like 2 grand or so.

like this one, which is the one i'm planning on getting.

http://www.xoticpc.com/aorus-x5-v6-pc3k3d.html

This does look like it pretty much checks all the boxes for what I'd want in 10xx notebook, and I was thinking about getting it, but I wish they'd gone for a 1440p screen instead of 3k. It feels like that would have been better for gaming on a 1070/scale up and down better, but I also just haven't heard much about that resolution so I might be off base -- is that not really an issue? I'm waiting to see if the Aero 14 refresh keeps the 1440p screen, adds a 1070 and keeps the incredible battery life (and hopefully drops a bit in price...).

foutre fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Aug 21, 2016

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Atomizer posted:

The native resolution isn't a huge issue, setting aside quality concerns amongst multiple display choices. If it's too low then you'll hate it because you can't do anything about it. If it's higher than you could ever take advantage of then you're basically sacrificing performance and battery life, since higher resolution displays take more effort from the GPU to drive. If in this case it's a higher resolution than you'd use for gaming (but would take advantage of elsewhere,) as long as you're not against scaling down then it shouldn't be a problem.

Oh yeah, I'm not against scaling down. I was under the possibly mistaken impression that 3k wouldn't scale down as nicely to 1440 etc. on account of the different ratio, but that might just be nonsense I read somewhere and took on faith.

The Iron Rose posted:

Which is all I care about really, since I destroy laptops. I'm not really sure if the Aorus is worth $700 more than the Asus, but it looks a hell of a lot nicer, has a better screen and keyboard, and if it's even moderately durable then it's worth it in my books.

Yup, makes sense. I'd love to hear your impressions after you get it. I'm hoping it will have better battery life than an equivalent clevis as well, but hard to say just based on product pages!

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Also, I think there's a larger battery in the Aorus, but it's tough to feel what that'll mean in practice.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

NewFatMike posted:

A year ago I repaired my now-roommate and get good friend's laptop. After the power cable stopped holding its position well a few months ago, it's kind of been on its last leg. Today I accidentally killed it in the throes of being salty at video games and accidentally spilled tea all over it when I reflexively kicked the table my tea was on after a sick 360noscope.

I'm splurging on a replacement because I destroyed it and his dream of becoming a cop came true this year, so I got him a GTX 1060 Sager laptop. http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8152-clevo-p650rp6.html

At a hair under $1400 with an IPS screen and Windows 10 Home, it doesn't look too bad, and the pair of USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type C ports helps future proof it a little bit (Oh God why didn't we just stick with 3.0/3.1 nomenclature?).

It looks pretty field serviceable with a replaceable battery, spare M.2 slots, and the drive bays being accessible. It's only 5.5lbs and a little under an inch tall folded up. Should handle 1080p on the native display pretty well for a few years.

Regarding Sager chat from a page or two ago, a lot of it depends on the model and retailer for serviceability. XoticPC have a pretty good warranty policy AFAIK and they're pretty helpful dudes. There are a couple of hardcore Sager focused forums and the like that you can check out some details on bay and motherboard access.

I'll post some thoughts on it when it comes in, but details might be limited since it's my roommate's.

Ended up ordering a similar model of this with the 1070. I'll report back on impressions once it arrives in a few weeks, the 4x hard drive 4x RAM slots ultimately sold me on it (and that it was cheaper than the Aorus). Last time I had a Sager I ordered direct from them, and ended up liking everything about it except the customer service, so I went with Mythlogic which supposedly is much better. I'm glad I ultimately listened to the thread's advice to wait for the Pascal GPUs, I would feel pretty silly with an eGPU at the moment.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

It's the Gigabyte premium brand. They have some pretty crazy specs on their 13.9" laptops. Haven't had one, but on notebookcheck a lot of the older models are really well reviewed. The Pascal ones do look good, just expensive.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

roomforthetuna posted:

And then I imagine the whole comparison becomes meaningless without some sort of consideration of the heat properties of the laptop's case, which also requires some additional knowledge as to how hot the chip itself runs (I assume an Iris 550 runs cooler than a GTX 860M, since it's an integrated thing, so if they're really otherwise equivalent that would be a huge win, given that my experience of gaming on laptops is that it tends to become heat-constrained at some point.)

Does it end up at a point where it's not even really worth considering the properties of the chip in isolation?

That was my experience, you're spot on imo. I got an XPS 13 with an Iris 540 and the thermals were terrible, it ended up running at like 50 to 66% of the benchmark. Like, I could play overwatch at 720p resolution, 50 percent render scale and 30 to 40 fps which was pretty terrible.

My old laptop had an 870m and the performance was nowhere near comparable. I think a big part of the problem is that the xps 13 really wasn't designed to cool well, so even if the Iris is naturally cooler in practice it ran much hotter.

I would definitely read notebookcheck reviews etc. to find out what the thermal situation is like with whatever laptops you're considering.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

NewFatMike posted:

This Sager laptop arrived today:

http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8151-clevo-p650rp6.html

And my first impressions are very very good. Sadly I won't get much more than that because I'm relaxing my roommate's laptop which I killed.

All in, I'm pretty jealous. I'm glad my roommate will be able to game with me and I think I'm going to pull a Sager for my next replacement. It's real handsome, the keyboard is rad, and the thermal management is really well executed.

This is great to hear, I've got the 1070 version of this on the way and the keyboard/thermals were two things I wasn't sure about. Not really the biggest thing, but have you/your roommate looked at the battery life at all? Obviously not expecting anything incredible, but it was hard to get a good sense of that from the various product pages and whatnot.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

NewFatMike posted:

I think he got about two hours of web browsing and downloading his programs at max brightness, so definitely kicking my rear end!

Wow, that's better than I was expecting, thanks. Probably won't use it on battery much anyway, but it's nice to have some cushion. When mine arrives I can add in some more impressions as well.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Fwiw, I got an Alienware 13 on sale and it actually looked better in person than photos.

I also returned it shortly after because the keyboard stopped working, but aesthetically it was a pleasant surprise.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Poniard posted:

I would say the logo on the lid is just a little inset. You could easily cover it and the panel lines on the back, and disable light effects. You would never know those were there. Unfortunately the other alien head logo is the power button.

Yeah, I looked at that as well and it doesn't fit perfectly under a laptop skin cause it's a bit of an odd shape but it seemed like it would fit well enough.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

NewFatMike posted:

http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8151-clevo-p650rp6.html

Get the IPS & Gsync screen upgrade for $85 and you can go logo free for free. It's really rad and the keyboard makes me jealous with my MSI thin and light. Don't forget to add Windows 10.

I think that's exactly the base model Clevo that I have, I just got it through Mythlogic instead of Xoticpc (page for it is here: https://www.mythlogic.com/2016_Models/dia1616.php). As per earlier, I promised some impressions on it. It just arrived yesterday, so I can give y'all my initial thoughts & feelings, and I'll update in a bit when I've had more time to use it.

For some context, I'm coming from a beat-up 2012 Macbook Air and a refurb 2012 17" CyberpowerPC; the latter is enormous and when I brought it into my office my boss told me that I was "doing a great job looking like a nerd". Which is pretty fair.

For I went for the 4k screen with a 1070, so it's not quite the base model but for all intents and purposes it's quite similar.

It's looks very simple, the back of the screen is brushed black metal with a small plastic trim. lt feels very solid, the screen has a little bit of flex but the hinge holds it really well and it feels substantial. Mine has a small silver 'Mythlogic" logo in one corner, which, you know, I wouldn't recommend but honestly is pretty unobtrusive.
e: it does pick up fingerprints though, not to an absurd degree but definitely noticeable.

The body itself is all black plastic, that similarly feels solid. There are pretty significant fans on the back and bottom, but they don't really call attention to themselves or anything, they're incorporated into some diagonal lines below the screen. It definitely feels heavy for a 1 inch and some change thick laptop, but in absolute terms is pretty light.

The keyboard itself is backlight (which I wanted) but has a built in utility that lets you turn it off, or make it just a plain white backlight or do fancy waves of color or 3 colors across different portions of the keyboard or whatever. The font on the keyboard is somewhat 'gamer' (i.e., it has direction chevrons on WASD, the numbers are kind of blocky) but not to the extent that like, a Razer keyboard goes for.

In tems of typing, it feels good. There's a decent travel distance (certainly compared to the Macbook Air especially, and key presses feel firm. Not at the level of like, a Thinkpad keyboard or a mechanical one, but definitely better than the ones I've been using.

The trackpad is slightly textured smooth plastic, and is pleasant to use but the dedicated buttons are a little smaller than I'd like height-wise, can be a bit awkward to press.

The screen is really sharp, and matte. I wasn't sure if 4k would work well on a 15" inch screen, but it's been really nice (a few UI scaling issues aside in a couple programs). Very crisp, gets bright enough to work outside and the viewing angles are good enough that I haven't really noticed any differences using it.

So far, the battery on Power Saver at ~30% brightness has lasted around 1:30, and says there's 37 minutes left at 29%, so it seems like about 2 hours of battery life is pretty reasonable. e: although I didn't actually turn on battery saver; I'll test this out again later.

I haven't actually gotten the chance to try running much yet, just a very brief "Overwatch in 1440p, Ultra plus 100 fps" experience that was pretty great.

I'll definitely report back again once I've had time to use it more, but my first impression is definitely good. I wanted a machine that could game/do various scientific computing tasks but also wasn't too big to carry around and wouldn't be embarrassing in meetings, and it seems like it pretty much fits the bill. If y'all have any more specific questions, lmk.

foutre fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 29, 2016

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Ynglaur posted:

How are internal thermals and fan noise after 15 or 30 minutes of gaming?

I didn't check earlier, but definitely by an hour or two the fan noise is pretty loud. It's quieter than i.e. typing or whatever, but it's pretty much a white noise machine. I don't hear it with headphones in, but with speakers I think it'd be pretty noticeable.
It started around 65 C and by ~hour two hit 85 C where it pretty much stayed. Definitely wouldn't play with it on my lap, the bottom got quite warm. I'm not well-versed in that stuff though, so if there's a utility or something I could run to get more of an idea of what's going on I'd be down to do so.

FWIW, it didn't seem to throttle noticeably, I was at a pretty consistent 150 fps throughout. There's also an even more aggressive fan option meant for OC'ing the GPU that I imagine is even louder, but haven't tried.

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

lol that's pretty funny, but I am honestly curious, is looking "like a nerd" a really big deal in office environments?

I'm starting to wonder if the two years I spent working at an open desk in a large office was simply me being oblivious to how I came across, because I took a Sony Vaio VPC-Z1 2010 into work everyday and, yeah, I played Mass Effect on that bitch during my lunch breaks. Granted, it wasn't as in-your-face as an MLG-420-pro gamer laptop, but it was pretty blinging.

E: Especially the LED power ring!

Oh no, I think it's definitely not a thing in a lot of offices -- I was working in the fashion industry in NY at the time, so anything that wasn't a MacBook/iPad was unusual. He also actually meant it as a good thing, like, "now investors will take us more seriously as a tech company because we look the part, good work" which is definitely way more 'stereotypes 40-something fashion exec has' versus things most people think. It hasn't actually been brought up anywhere else I've worked, a lot of people really don't care.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Hadlock posted:

See if you can find a refurbished Thinkpad T430 with the 1600x900 screen for under $300

After a couple of months when you fall in love with it, buy a new 9 cell battery for it for $60 and reliably get 8 hours battery life out of it

I'm looking for a laptop with a good keyboard and long battery life for learning R/Python plus word processing and basic internet stuff (already have a computer for everything else, it just tops out at ~2 hours of battery life.

It sounds like a T430 would be great for this (and gets constantly recommended!).

If I just get this computer:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T430-14-1-i5-2520M-2-5GHz-8GB-160GB-SSD-HD-1600-900-Win8-1-Pro-/112166517425#viTabs_0

and this battery:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0085MPGDG/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=

does that look like it'd be just fine? As far as I could tell, I shouldn't get a T430SI (not sure what the suffix means) with that battery, but it doesn't look like that is one, and it looks like it has the right screen, an SSD and a decent amount of RAM.

Before I commit, is there anything else I should consider? I wouldn't mind a 13" option, and looked at some of the chromebooks, but it didn't seem like there were any with similar quality keyboards, and having Windows for managing various weird programs that my classes sometimes require is appealing as well.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Atomizer posted:

good advice

Hadlock posted:

more good advice

Ok, cool. Time isn't really a concern, and I didn't think to check how recent the CPUs were on the various computers I looked at, only checked for an SSD and 1600x900 screen. I think I'd prefer higher resolution over a slightly smaller computer, so I I'll stick with the T430 over the X230 for the Windows option.
Before I commit to Windows though I'll also putz around with running stuff on linux a bit to see how easy/difficult it would be for me to manage a chromebook, a lot of the ones you listed seem pretty appealing from a size/price/battery life standpoint.

Just to recap, when I'm looking through Woot listings/higher rated Ebay sellers for a T430 would a good checklist would be:

a 1600 x 900 screen
an SSD
an Ivy Bridge or later CPU (so 3xxx +)
4 gb plus of RAM?

Thanks for your help, y'all are so much more helpful than googling around/looking at a million "Top 10 Laptops for Business" lists or what have you.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Defenestration posted:

How does getting a GTX 1060 save me $200? Not trying to be snarky I just don't understand how this all works

I assume a 1050ti is a January release situation? How much better will that be compared to the GTX 1060 you mentioned?

They mean it'd be 200 dollars more than your price range, so you'd need to save more money. It's a pretty big step up though, so might be worth it if you want to play most 1080p games for a good number of years.

The 1050ti would most likely fit your price range better and come in more portable laptops while meeting your needs as well, but wouldn't be quite as powerful/just isn't out yet.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

e: Nevermind, this really was a dumb question, sorry y'all.

foutre fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Nov 10, 2016

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Does anyone have recommendations on where to look for cheaper replacement power adapters for laptops? Specifically, I'm looking for a replacement for a rebranded Clevo 650, at 19.5V and 11.8A. I can't find an adapter specifically for my computer, outside of the branded one for $100+. There are a lot of various options listed on Amazon for somewhat less, but I have no idea which ones are legitimate and which would be a bad idea/if there are things I should look at besides voltage & amps.

If the answer is just "it's safest to go with an OEM/branded replacement", I can just do that through the company that sold it to me, but if there's a cheaper option that'd be great.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

ihatepants posted:

I've got a spare charger from a Sager NP8651, which I think is a Clevo P650se. It's a Chicony A12-180P1A. If you're willing to buy a charger second hand I could sell it to you. PM me if you're interested.

drat, I would be but from googling it looks like I have a 650RS-G(?) that's 11.8A rather than 9.5. Definitely appreciate the offer though; I also wasn't searching for chicony before but it looks like I need a A11-200P1A, which has definitely helped my googling.

Eletriarnation posted:

The main considerations are going to be voltage (must be equal, or close - check laptop documentation for acceptable input range if not equal), current (must be equal or greater) and the connector matching. Unfortuately that's a rather intense laptop brick at over 300W and you probably won't have many alternatives.

Ok, cool, sounds good. It looks like there's some other Clevo resellers that stock them at somewhat lower prices. I guess I wasn't really taking into account what a relatively niche adapter this was when looking at prices and whatnot.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

My brother wants a 1060 laptop for traveling, with portability and battery life as the main priorities,l.

He wants a 14" or 15" laptop, with a preference for 14" and a more subdued/business appropriate aesthetic.

I had a few ideas, based on following this thread, but thought I'd run it by y'all as well.

To me it seems like the best option in terms of portability/battery life out now is probably the Razer Blade 2016.

I also suggested he look at the MSI GS43/63, but they seem to have less battery life and he was really turned off by the way they looked.

The Aorus x3 also seemed like it might be decent, but I can't really tell what recommends it over the Blade (definitely want to hear about your Aorus experiences when you get it as well, Iron Rose).

My main suggestions ended up boiling down to:

Wait for 1050 laptops (esp the XPS 15 refresh)
Wait to see what the Gigabyte Aero 14 refresh is like
If neither pans out, get a Razer Blade

The kicker is that he pretty much needs it before mid February, so time is a bit of a factor.

Is there anything that I'm missing from the current crop/upcoming computers?

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Does anyone have experience with the GIGABYTE Aero 1060 version?

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Yeah, it's available to order on Xoticpc, but iirc they also started accepting orders for Pascal laptops in general before they were ready to ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

The Acer Chromebook 14 is $200 refurb on Amazon at the moment.

I want a chromebook with 4 gb ram, a FHD screen and very long battery life that can run Android apps. Are there any other Cyber Monday deals I should be looking at/other chromebooks, or does this seem solid?