Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

So what's the deal with Thinkpad prices in Europe? I'm looking for something to replace my shitheap Acer Aspire One and the T430 and 530 are both way more expensive here than in the US, even taking into account shipping and Dutch VAT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

My birthday is coming up in a few weeks and I'm in the market to replace the shithouse first-gen Acer Aspire One I'm currently posting on. I'm looking for a laptop with at least a 6 hour battery life, preferably decently portable, looking to take notes and make music on it. It would be nice if it could smoothly play World of Tanks at lowest settings but beyond that I don't care about gaming. Clit mouse optional. :v: I'm in Europe, so if anything is conditional on rebates or whatever that's straight out.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Haswell, mostly.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Besides power saving, is Haswell all that much of an upgrade from Ivy Bridge? It doesn't seem like the quantum leap that Sandy/Ivy Bridge were.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

My budget for a notebook's somewhat limited, so I've been looking at the T530 since it's slightly cheaper than the T430/440. I was just wondering if Haswell was worth the New Hotness Premium when I could just use a 9 cell battery; I'll be using it for at most 6 hours without plugging in so going beyond that isn't terribly important. Cheers for the clarification.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

evilweasel posted:

The obvious downside of both of those plans is weight. Is that a concern for how you're planning on using the laptop - is this going to be carried around often?

I'll be commuting from the Hague to Amsterdam via train, but asides from that not much. I just measured out 3kg of books and honestly it seemed pretty manageable.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

What's the word in the Dell Latitude E6430? My dad's been hawking it since he saw it got better scores than the Lenovo T530 in a Laptop Magazine review.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

He's possibly taking into account all the time spent getting drivers in order, reinstalling applications, etc. Also, I pulled the trigger on a T430 as a birthday gift to myself. How expensive/hard is it to install an Ultrabay drive, and what fits? It seems like I might be able to get a 2TB slow drive in there for non-I/O bound things like movies and such.