Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Hadlock posted:

No, you don't need the i7. Generally if you have to ask if you need it, you don't these days. 8GB RAM is another story. I can chew through 6GB of ram pretty easily, and if you're running a game like Kerbal Space Program it's easy to max out your RAM if you don't always close all your apps all the time (I'm spoiled, I never close anything once I open it)

Huh, so the 880M is a marketing bait-and-switch for the Rev. B of the 780M?

It looks like the 820, 830, 840, 850, 860 are all new Maxwell class chips, while the 870 and 880 are last gen Kepler technology. Good to know, thanks sir!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Nvidia_graphics_processing_units#GeForce_800M_.288xxM.29_Series

It's also worth noting that 820 actually uses the old Fermi architecture, believe it or not. Also, the 830/840 both only have DDR3 RAM (which isn't a dealbreaker at the right price, but yeah).

The 850/860 are the real ones to look out for (they both use GDDR5). The only problem is that there are two(!) different versions of the 860; one that uses Kepler, and one that uses Maxwell. Nobody knows if they perform differently, but the Maxwell 860 will more than likely use much less power. I don't know how you're supposed to tell which version of the 860 that a manufacturer is using, short of waiting for a review/asking a rep/waiting till someone gets burned.

It might be better to try and just look out for the 850 (it's just a downclocked 860 anyway), which will likely be available in cheaper SKUs anyway, and you won't have to cross your fingers when you make the order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

ETB posted:

Maxwell. You really only need 2 GB for most games, AFAIK.

Everywhere else online says that the GS60 uses a Kepler 860M

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Nickoten posted:

Seems like the GTX 860 is in most of these ~$1000 range refreshes. Is it a pretty big jump over, say, a 750M or 760M? It seems to be ranked high on Notebookcheck.

The 860M is a decent jump over the 760M, and the 850M simply smashes the the 750M.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Drunk Badger posted:

I see there's a 820m GPU available, anyone have an idea how that would compare to Intel's GPUs?

Likely very poorly. It still uses Fermi, amazingly enough.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

:chanpop:

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

merk posted:

I am now traveling a lot for work, probably 50%+. When I'm sitting in a hotel room with nothing to do, I really would like to do some gaming (DotA 2, CS: GO, etc.). For awhile I was using a Surface Pro 3 and had limited success playing games, but I found that the screen was a bit too small and had some stuttering issues.

What is the sweet spot for laptop gaming? How much should I expect to spend if hotel gaming is my focus? I don't mind if I have to lug around a 10lb thing.

Honestly the Alienware 15 w/ 970M looks to be very solid in terms of specs and build quality, but how much horsepower do you think you'll need? If you mainly play Dota and CS, you probably don't need a $1400 lappy.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Clevo laptops still don't come with Windows right?

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Hadlock posted:

Generally going from an i3 to i5 is a jump in logical cores from 2 to 4 which is important in a modern OS, also will turbo clock higher. Generally the i5 is the better option in all cases.

Nah with mobile that's almost always going from an i5 to i7

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Hadlock posted:

i5 has four logical cores, i7 has either four logical cores (dual physical core) or eight (quad physical core)

Ahhh my bad, reading comprehension is hard

e: I'm surprised that none of the new macbooks have iris pro, I kinda have to wonder if going from 5200 to 6100 will be a downgrade.

Hace fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Mar 11, 2015

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

evilweasel posted:

What kind of uses for a laptop benefit having 8g of ram over 4g - this is for someone who will mostly be using it as an office/internet/citrix machine so I'm thinking 4g should be fine, but are there cases where it'll slow things down?

4GB is fine, but as stuff like Chrome seems eat more and more RAM, 8GB ends up being very nice for multitasking if you don't like micromanaging your tabs/windows/programs.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
If you don't need crazy power get the Air, otherwise maybe look at one of the MSI GS models imo

Hace fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 23, 2015

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

The Iron Rose posted:

The MSI "Dominator Pro" is okay but bulky as poo poo. The Ghost Pro 4K is pretty good as well, and it's 15 inches with a decent GPU and (obviously) a great screen.

Downside is they're both very very expensive.

They could always just get one of the cheaper models

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Paperhouse posted:

What about the GP models? They were the first ones I considered as they seem to still be more powerful than all the others in their price range, but I've honestly never heard of MSI and I know people laugh at "gaming laptops"

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-MSI-GP60-i740M245FD-Notebook.106525.0.html

This is an older model, but this one seems to have a loud-rear end fan, not a great screen and questionable build quality.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
If they want a low budget tell them to rethink the touchscreen part.

Also a chromebook might be in their future.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Aphrodite posted:

That's because you're supposed to have a desktop if you need to run that.

Alienware is not very good. You'll get the power you need but they are not high quality machines.

Reading around it looks like the latest revisions are actually pretty legit, build quality and all.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

a shameful boehner posted:

Got my XPS 13 9350 yesterday and spent the evening messing around with it.

- Can't believe how thin and light it is. Basically the size of a yellow legal pad and probably the weight of three of them.
- Screen is bright as gently caress on max, 75% was fine. A few screen flickers when the brightness is below 50% or lower but nothing dealbreaking. Seems like a software issue, didn't happen when brightness was >70%.
- Don't really get the touchpad complaints. Seemed fine for everything I was doing (web browsing, some writing, etc). For anything requiring much more precision I'd use a mouse, but for doing general laptoppy things I didn't have a problem at all.

All in all the build quality feels very solid, the battery charged to 100% in an hour (though it may have had a residual charge) and the Signature Edition carried absolutely no bloatware, not even the vulnerable Dell certificates. Pretty impressed so far, haven't tried running any games on it yet but I'll probably mess around with Steam over the weekend.

Did you get the 3k or the 1080 panel?

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

ItBurns posted:

High res screens are the new 3D.

Didn't realize 3D had such strong legs

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Also IPS

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

It's an improved panel technology that has better viewing angles and is much easier on the eyes

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

bull3964 posted:

If you don't like the XPS 15 track pad, then I doubt any modern computer is going to be to your liking. The XPS15 is widely regarded as having one of, if not the best, windows trackpad out there.

Having used a macbook recently, the windows trackpad game must be lightyears behind then

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
What's the verdict on the Thinkpad 13? Obvs it doesn't have a sweet metal frame but it looks ok as a cheaper laptop.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
what games are you referencing when you say you want 1080p at full detail

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
got my dell xps 13 i5 refurb for a hair over 900 after tax, really happy with it so far. no usb-a is a bummer, but I'm hoping we start seeing more support for that soon

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Why are they only steaming games on a laptop?

Also they probably want something with a decent nvidia dgpu, so they can just use that to steam.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

bull3964 posted:

I thought the newer "killer" WiFi was just an Intel card anyways.

apparently it's an intel chip with a silly driver

it's been fine on my 9380

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
My mom got an Acer a few years ago and it was a nightmare. Absolutely awful QC. She's had a lenovo for a while now with no problems.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
maybe it's just me but that hinge inspires the opposite of confience for me

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
assuming she wants USB-A, xps 13 is a no go

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
calling usb-a a dying port is extremely generous lmao

we're going to be using hubs for another decade at least. buy whatever you want.

buy for the problems you have now, not for the problems you might have 8 years from today.

Hace fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Oct 25, 2020

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
personally I'm biased towards lenovo products. they're not perfect but they generally have good quality control, particularly from their Thinkpad T-series options

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
why is everyone acting like usb a is dead when it hasn't even started to fade away yet lol

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
you should look at peripherals that are actually being made, and the problems you actually have, rather than problems that might exist 5 years later

e: obviously usb-c is a rising platform, especially in the laptop space, but if someone's problem is "i need a laptop that can run usb-a and I don't wnat to run a hub", then telling them to just suck it up and deal with it isn't helping at all lol

Hace fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Oct 26, 2020

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
It's still a bad idea to get a usb-c flash drive because most things that you use it with that aren't your laptop will probably demand usb-a

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
are you really going to compare hdmi to the most commonly utilized port on the planet

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Hace posted:

assuming she wants USB-A, xps 13 is a no go

wow no poo poo sherlock

I was just bringing that up as a possibility, before you made it the end of the world

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I don't think anyone really goes hard to-bat for the XPS 15s tbh

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
unless your laptop is your primary computer or you have some kind of specific need, 16gb is kind of a waste

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
i mean if you are already paying out the nose, i think more RAM is going to happen by itself

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
olds like big screens because of old eyes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
If you care about long-term reliability, I would not invest in a razer blade