Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Can anybody speculate as to whether or not 13-inch ultrabooks will come out with a dedicated pascal GPU anytime? I know voltage can't be adjusted at the bios level for the 1060 (I read NVidia locks that) but can they at least be downclocked? Or how about the 1050?

It would just be nice to have a primarily work laptop that can handle something like Battlefield 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Calidus posted:

I doubt it, Intel is going to keep pushing the ultrabook battery life and size requirements which will most likely keep discrete GPUs out of ultrabooks almost indefinitely. Ultrabooks are getting closer the point where the passively cooled in a the next few years.

Cheers. That's kind of a shame as a little gaming capability on an ultrabook definitely goes a long way to broadening it's usage range. The iGPU is fine for playing like, older games actually. I used to run X3 Albion Prelude and all the Mass Effect games fine on an old Surface Pro 2, and I imagine the HD530/540 are a bit better.

But being able to play, say, Fallout 4 on a 13 incher would be a real nice way to kill time in the hotel room in the evening when you're on the go.

I mean, ideally, the XPS 13's size with a 1050 or something would be great. You can play modern games at low/medium settings at 1080p, and it's super portable and light, much better if you have to do a lot of walking / public transport.

Truga posted:

This used to exist, but then Sony sold off the VAIO brand. :argh:

e: not pascal obviously, but 13" with dgpus

I used to have the original z1 and that was great. Played Tribes Ascend on it for hours on end and didn't ever hit thermal limits.

It wasn't as compact as a 13 inch ultrabook these days, though. A little beefier in thickness (had an ODD). It did however have small bezels which was great.

It was the Z2 that went super slim and introduced the eGPU iirc.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Aug 25, 2016

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Ynglaur posted:

Mind sharing your Razer experience? Was it just bad luck, or were there fundamental engineering problems? I'm torn between waiting for a 1060 version and the MSI GS43VR (also 14", though larger framed, with a 1060).

I'd definitely be curious, too. The razer is very attractive from a form factor stand point, but I just can't research it without stumbling into a dozen and one horror stories.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

anothergod posted:

So, uh, my real world X230's i5-3200U had an HD4000 and ran PS360 era games at 1366x768 just fine. There are videos of people doing this on youtube.

Now check this out:
http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/three-generations-intel-hd-graphics-tested/

"Fortunately, HD 530 arrives to save the day, and it pretty well stomps on every other IGP. Its score of 7,621 represents almost exactly a 100 percent improvement over HD 4000, and a nearly 50 percent increase over HD 6000. That actually exceeds the 40 percent improvement that Intel claimed to the press."

Also there's this dude that pretty much does this thing getting 70+ FPS for CS:GO with high settings. This is a dude overclocking a desktop 530, but you're looking at 10-15% difference in performance, so, whatever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXxqd6sPXpw

So, uh, yeah. I have a dGPU-less T460p with an i5-6440HQ CPU and an HD530 iGPU and you've just convinced me to boot up CS again what the gently caress.

I played any UE3 game just fine on my Suface Pro 2 (HD4000). Heck, I beat Mass Effect 1 ~ 3 on it and it was great. All low settings, of course, but still looked pretty okay.

I also played X3: Albion Prelude and SW:TOR (ehh... i know) on it just fine.

With that said, I can't wait for the day when we get an ultrabook with a graphics chip capable of driving AAA games at medium settings at 1080p or whatever standard that is around when that time finally comes.

Wondering if the 1050 makes it a reality.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Lurks Morington posted:

Thinking about picking up a new gaming laptop with the fancy new nvidia card this winter. I'm looking at some of the build options and is there anything noticeable about a 4k display on a 15 inch laptop? I don't mind spending the extra money if it looks amazing, but if you can't tell the difference I'd rather not sacrifice a ton of battery life for something that isn't appreciable in any meaningful sense.

I honestly wouldn't. Not only is scaling going to be all kinds of messed up with many apps, but that screen will eat tons of battery life for really a gain that is not appreciable for the average use case.

I mean, sure, you get more real estate for 'productivity' but everything is scaled up to 200% or w/e... I find locating the little "x" in the corner to close an app that isn't scaling well on my tv is a real PITA, let alone on a 15 inch screen.

And if you're getting a gaming laptop, with a 4k screen gaming at native with good frames is going to be hard as 15 inchers really only come with the 1070s, which means you'll have to drop down resolutions. This will hurt image quality of the game.

All in all, I don't see 4k as worth it for a laptop unless you have a very specific use case.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Xiaomi mobile phone maker tries to combat the air, ends up accidentally making an XPS 13 competitor?

http://xiaomi-mi.com/notebooks/xiaomi-mi-notebook-air-133-silver/

13.3 inches
Skylake 6200u
Nvidia 940MX
5.6 mm bezels (compared to 5.2mm of XPS13)
1.28kg (XPS13 is 1.2)
310 x 211mm (so a little bigger than the XPS13 which is 304 x 200mm)
14.8mm thickness (XPS13 is 8.9mm to 15mm front to back)
1 x usb type c + usual other io

Theres a sort-of review here: http://www.igeekphone.com/xiaomi-mi-notebook-air-13-unboxing-hardware-battery-game-tear-down-review/

These probably are not going to be available outside of China in any great quantity, but it is definitely an intruiging ultrabook.

The 940mx puts it above Iris graphics that come with i7s in the XPS13s, and sits somewhere between 940m and 950m. There seems to be throttling over time, but for light-weight gaming in ultrabook form factor, this looks to be about as good as you can get.

Honestly, I'm thinking about trying one, but not being able to get a warranty is scaring me off. I can pick one up for about 850 bucks.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 18, 2016

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

eames posted:

I never had much respect for Xiaomi and their xerox-tactics in the past but Apple's dominance is becoming so apparent that I'm rooting for those chinese copies to become a big success on the western markets.

I mean I can appreciate this and feel like I should care, but I really, truly don't. At 850 bucks and these specs? I'd snap one up now if I could get a warranty with it [insert exploding xiaomi phone joke].

I wish there were more reviews. Throttling is obviously an issue but seems to happen quite long into a gaming session if that half-review is accurate, which is dubious considering their battery life test is "it dropped from 97 to 88 in 30 minutes so we are guessing 5.5 hours total under this workload."

I can't wait to see what thin and laptops can do with a 1050. I'm guessing the XPS15 refresh gets that whenever quad core Kaby Lakes become available, but that machine is still way too big.

Flipperwaldt posted:

SP4 convertibles

After everything I've gone through with the SP2, I'm going to stay away from the line for a good long while. With that said, the SP2 was a pretty capable little thing; I played and beat Mass Effects 1,2 and 3 on that thing.

Are you looking for a convertible or strictly a tablet?

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Sep 18, 2016

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

DrDork posted:

I don't really mind their copy-paste design tactics, but they have a pretty hilariously terrible history of backdoors, gaping security holes, etc etc on their phones and other devices. And not in the Lenovo-esque "whoops we forgot about that let's fix that up" sort, either, but in the "yeah we explicitly designed that backdoor in because we're helping and have no intention of closing it" sort of way. I would absolutely not trust it for a system I intended to ever log into anything I actually cared about the security of.

It's an easy fix on windows, but yeah I would not trust their phones.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Auron posted:

Xiaomi makes literal garbage. Have you ever seen the videos of their phone build quality? No thanks.

Yeah, hence the warranty concerns =\ Between exploding phones and dust under screens etc. I just wouldn't risk it on a computer.

But the specs and form factor are just delicious for 850-ish dollars. I mean, if everything did run smoothly, and if the screen was good quality, the only thing the XPS13 has on it is an insignificantly smaller footprint, while losing out in versatility.

Of course, there are no reviews. Lenovo released a similar thing (13 inches, 940mx, 6200u) which I read about yesterday but I can't find the link now. It's also a China-only or China-mostly release.

The 940MX is going to be in the new Dell Inspiron Kaby Lake refreshes, too, but that only goes down to 14 inches iirc and not 13.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Seamonster posted:

The 940mx isn't a bad chip considering its 28nm Maxwell and lowish TDP but holy hell if it isn't totally castrated by that teeeeeeny leeeetle 64 bit memory bus, compression or no.

I was surprised by how well it ran a game like Bioshock Infinite at 768p. I mean, basically most UE2.5/UE3 engine games is going to run fine on it at 720 / 768p and for an ultrabook, that's pretty decent gaming.

Really wishing some news on GTX1050 laptops would come out soon. That's 7970HD / 280x / GTX 960 level performance and if they can stuff it into a thin and light 13 incher, then that would be amazing.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

foutre posted:

For some context, I'm coming from a beat-up 2012 Macbook Air and a refurb 2012 17" CyberpowerPC; the latter is enormous and when I brought it into my office my boss told me that I was "doing a great job looking like a nerd". Which is pretty fair.

lol that's pretty funny, but I am honestly curious, is looking "like a nerd" a really big deal in office environments?

I'm starting to wonder if the two years I spent working at an open desk in a large office was simply me being oblivious to how I came across, because I took a Sony Vaio VPC-Z1 2010 into work everyday and, yeah, I played Mass Effect on that bitch during my lunch breaks. Granted, it wasn't as in-your-face as an MLG-420-pro gamer laptop, but it was pretty blinging.

E: Especially the LED power ring!

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Sep 30, 2016

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

tminz posted:

Those new Razer Blades with a 1060 would be choice if I was in the market. That thing is gorgeous.

Unfortunately, it throttles like crazy, regularly hits 95c on the GPU which is a little warm, and the keyboard gets very hot in the center. Add to that all the Razer CS horror stories with RMA, and I went from going "I'm definitely getting that if I win the lottery" to "Eh, maybe something better will come along."

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Thoughts on the Gigabyte p35x v6? 1070 in a 15 inch at less than an inch thick... hits 90 degrees while gaming and throttles but never to below 1070 advertised clocks. The CPU hits 100 degrees according to a user review I read on bit tech and never boosts past 3 ish ghz (so thermal throttling).

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=310222

Edit: When you look at the cooling it seems a bit wimpy compared to, say, the MSI GS63VR and that has the 1060 in it. But then again I don't know if more heatpipes necessarily = better.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Oct 8, 2016

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

lostleaf posted:

Is there any other thin(< 1") and light(< 5lbs) laptops with 1070? There's gigabyte p35x. Asus gl502vs. Anything else?

The vs is not less than an inch (1.18in). It's the vm, which is the 1060 model, that is less than an inch (0.92in). Not sure if any other 15 inchers that have 1070s are less than an inch, but IIRC there are a few 17 inchers (like the stealth series 17 incher from MSI).

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

The Aorus x5 v6 is under an inch.

It's basically the same computer, but you get gsync instead of optimus, a higher resolution screen but slightly lower nits, and a RGB keyboard instead of plain white backlights.

Thanks I totally forgot this one was under an inch (if only barely). Now I'm intrigued by it, but looking at various CS complaints on the net, Aorus seems to have caught a little Razer-itis.

Basically depending on whether or not I get a bonus, I'm looking at replacing my dying Surface Pro 2 as my main work computer which I leave in the office but sometimes have to take around with me. It's either a super thin n light like the XPS13/15 or a heavier, thicker, bigger thing with a GTX 1060 / 70 to get some (haha more like a lot of) gaming ability.

Been eying the P35x v6 but that 100c CPU temp is just nuts and I'm not going there. Something will cook at one month past the warranty end. Wish there were some decent reviews on the Aorus, especially user reviews. Being a bit thicker, it'll probably cool better than the P35x v6 but how much is not having optimus going to hurt battery life?

As far as 1060 lappies go,

The MSI GS43vr has heat problems, too, and the heatpipes run over the wifi chip which seems like a great way to kill it.
The MSI GS63vr is cooler, but again the GPU heatpipe runs over a passively cooled PCH chip to the point where they're almost touching and that, also, seems like a terrible idea to me.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

Well, I ought to have the Aorus within the next ten days or so, so I'll give a review of it for the thread then.

Battery life is around 3 hours to the P35x's 4 and a half or so iirc. Heating is an issue with both models, but I believe the Aorus is a bit (~5 degrees) cooler at max load. It'll stave off thermal junctioning a bit longer if nothing else.

Getting a 1070 laptop with a smaller form factor seems to come with lots of compromises. As remarkable as the performance is, and it is remarkable, Nvidia has a bit to do with TDP for next gen.

Not to say that what they've done with the thermals this gen isn't incredible, mind you.

What I'll most likely do is underclock or, if possible, undervolt the 1070 a bit. A small decrease won't hurt performance too much, and it'll take the thermals a bit away from the proverbial edge.

Thank you, I would find your review extremely helpful. I try to go by user reviews than tech site reviews typically.

Yeah, there is no denying that Pascal is a really big leap for laptop gaming. The compromises are still there, but they are far fewer than ever before. To think that you can get a 1070 into a 15 inch laptop and, yeah, maybe it throttles a bit, but you're still getting sort of top 10% gaming capability... it's insanity. If I get the Aorus, it'll be more powerful than my desktop!

One thing to do is to undervolt the skylake CPU. There is a lot of headroom there (footroom?) and it really helps thermals. I think you use Intel XTU to do that.

Edit: Another thing you can do is set a frame limiter so that your card doesn't need to boost all the way up if the game is not so graphically demanding.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Oct 9, 2016

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

The idea of typing an essay on that capacitive keyboard is just nuts.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

pointsofdata posted:

The 1050 (Ti) looks really exciting, way smaller power draw than the 1060 according to the leaks

That's the one thing that keeps me from just splurging on a 1060/60 laptop at the end of the month. A 1050ti is beter than a 960 which is pretty drat decent for 1080p gaming (I should know, I use a HD7970 in my desktop which is on par with a 960).

But the 75w max draw should bode well for thin and light notebooks, and I want a notebook with some gaming capability, not massive gaming capability. Just like playing some Battlefield 1 on it for 40 minutes, that kind of gaming, not 4 hour VR sessions.

But it seems like it's going to be a while before we see any lappies with the 1050ti in it. The XPS15 refresh won't come until at lest January 2017 and that would be an ideal get.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Hadlock posted:

The 1050 is supposed to be roughly on par with the desktop 960. If Dell puts the 1040 or 1050 in the XPS 15 I will be a very happy camper. Dell updated their XPS 13 (Which isn't avalible with a GPU) a couple of days ago with kaby trail, but hasn't announced their sister laptop the XPS 15 (which has a GPU option) yet hmm wonder why.

The main holdup for the XPS15 refresh will be the kaby quads I reckon, which is Q1 2017.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

CellBlock posted:

MSI and Asus have some slimmer 1060s, and I know MSI has one model that's 14". I'd be a little concerned about heat on a laptop that thin with a high end GPU in it, but maybe it's not much of a problem with the 1060. (I've heard it's pretty bad with the 1070, though.)

cpranger, the updated ROG line is basically last year's line with some updates to get the new GPUs in. If you liked your previous one, then I don't imagine you'd have issues with the new ones. (I'm looking at the GL502VM; it seems relatively thin and light for having a 1060 in it, but I think I might just go with a Sager to save a few bucks on the same specs.)

The 14inch, the GS43vr, throttles a lot, and also the heatpipes run right on top of the wifi chip and HDMI port which seems like a busted wifi chip waiting to happen 1 month outside of warranty.

The 15 incher, the thin GS63vr, is much cooler owing to three fans, and doesn't throttle unless in extreme cases, but there the heatpipe runs over the PCH chip. PCH reported temps aren't bad so maybe there's a thermal pad between the two, so perhaps my worry is unwarranted.

The 15 inch Asus with the 1060, the GL502VM, is very very cool, but it's not very thin and its got a bigger footprint overall and is heavier.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Heaps of Sheeps posted:

Any thoughts on the Sager 8152-s (Clevo rebadge)? Looking around it seems a bit thicker/heavier but more substantial cooling than the Asus/MSI. The Asus/MSI build quality seems decent enough, I checked them out at Fry's today, but obviously they didn't have any Clevo laptops to compare. The Asus does look like a 14 year old 2edgy4u gamer kid designed it, though.

If you're talking about the Clevo p650 with the 1060, then yeah it's a bit bigger in footprint and thicker at 0.98 inches. I've heard it's actually noisier than the Asus GL502VM but that it is cool and does not suffer from throttling. You can also get an unlocked processor with it to overclock which, if you're doing something CPU heavy but not GPU heavy, would be a nice bonus.

If you mean the Clevo with the GTX 1070, then that is even thicker but I think other than the added thickness, you're getting a similar experience. So cool, no throttling, overclockable processor as a choice.

Yeah I agree on the design of the Asus, it's not screaming "buy me now".

purkey posted:

I'm in the market for a 1060 laptop in the near future. The size isn't going to be to much of a concern since I'm mostly going to be using it as a desktop replacement since I'm not going to be living in the same place for more than a few months at a time for the foreseeable future. Would this Asus be my best bet or are there other manufacturers that you guys would recommend?

Can we expect significant sales around cyber monday? I have $1500 to spend, but wouldn't mind saving some cash.

If you're not worried about the size, I'd give the Clevo p650 a look. It's rebranded to Sager, EVOC, etc. You have more customization is the reason why I suggest it (for example, unlocked processor, more storage options, faster RAM, replace HDD to SSD, etc.).

From everything I've heard, the Asus GL502VM is a fine laptop, though, that does not suffer from throttling like a bunch of the other 1060 laptops do. You're stuck with the non-unlocked processor so no overclocking, but if that is not a big deal then fine.

You'll want to look at screen comparisons if you do any kind of graphics work and I can't speak to that as I really don't know anything about it.

Just note the Clevo P650 is louder than the Asus as the fans ramp up much higher. The Asus seems to be able to cool well and stay relatively quiet.

ETA: You could also give the MSI Ge62vr or Gt62vr a look. Both are fat, but if size is not an issue, both are also quiet and cool.

ETA2: It seems on NBR that some people are getting very hot Asus GL502VMs. It's not many, and probably suggests shoddy paste jobs.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 16, 2016

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I'm not sure if that's Min's keynote or not since I can't watch video at the moment, but I listened to it earlier and he just straight up said Razer laptops don't throttle and run at their full boost clocks all the time.

Which is like 100% the opposite of reality.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

Just make sure you get a model with a GTX 1060 - there are plenty of older models floating around for ridiculously inflated prices. I believe the current model is the MSI Stealth Pro.

another option is the Aorus X3 Plus v6. Much nicer than the MSI, but it's about 2 grand.

How is your x5 v6?

Edit: Oh, new page, so for some content, the new MB Pros will have Polaris chips according to Dave Lee on Youtube, which means we're probs looking at 960m-ish performance at the highest end.

Heroes of the Storm guy, the MSI Ghost Pro The Iron Rose talked about is specifically the MSI GS63VR. That's a 15 inch thin one, almost as thin as a Razer Blade.

Alternatively there is the MSI GS43VR which is a 14inch laptop and a bit thicker, also with a GTX1060.

Between the two I'd pick the 63 (15 inch) because it's thinner, only a little heavier, doesn't throttle as hard (but will under certain loads), and the heatpipes aren't touching the wifi chip which seems like something they'd test thoroughly, but I'd hate for my wifi chip to burn out 1 month past warranty.

Just be aware that any 1060 laptop you get, including the Clevo P650 rebrands, are going to be loud under gaming load. IIRC, the fatter MSI ones (GT/GE series) are quieter, but they are huge bulky things.

Also, ALL GTX1060/1070 laptops are going to have bad battery life, either due to GSync (so no Optimus which means you don't switch to IGP for power savings when idle), or compromises in battery watt hours for portability. We're talking 3 hours ish web browsing at 50% brightness kind of bad.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Oct 24, 2016

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

The Alienware AW13 is now apparently for sale. 13.3 inch screen, GTX 1060, 6700HQ, OLED QHD screen, under an inch thick.

However, it has a bigger footprint than some 15 inch laptops with a width of 390mm. For example, the MSI GS63vr with a 15" screen has a width of 380mm. The Dell XPS15 with a 15" screen has a width of 357mm.

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/alienware-13-laptop

Not really sure why some early reviews are calling this beast "compact". The screen is small, the laptop itself is big.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Nov 2, 2016

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

1050ti for laptop testing done at: http://laptopmedia.com/highlights/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-laptop-specs-and-benchmarks/

Roughly 10% faster than the 970m at 75w TDP. These are synthetic benches of course (3DM, Unigen).

For reference, something like 60% faster than the 960m which is the graphics card it'll be replacing (think Dell XPS 15, other "casual" gaming laptops.)

For further reference, 10% faster than the 970m puts it at slightly over 7970HD / 280x / GTX 960 territory.

(Which is not surprising if you followed the desktop launch / reviews).

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Edward IV posted:

I'm amused how similar, aside from performance, the new Alienware 13 is to my M14x. They're roughly the same size although the 13 is a little thinner and lighter and about the same tested battery life of 4 hours with the OLED screen on the 13. Even though the 13 is so much faster and better and my M14x's battery life has deteriorated to less than 90 minutes, I'm a little disappointed that the size, weight, and battery life are so similar.

A Dell XPS 15 with a 1050ti is probably closer to what I'm look for with a relatively light weight, good battery life, and enough power to run games well at 1080p. However after all the software, driver, and BIOS issues it suffered early on, I'm a little wary of looking at the XPS lineup.

The size of it is definitely a little disappointing, and you do wonder why they couldn't just stick a 14-inch screen in there and trim down the bezels? I mean, it's wider than some 15-inch screen laptops which is a bit absurd to me.

It seems to have very good cooling coming from that thick, long chassis, which is great. Dave2d reported no throttling after gaming, though he never mentioned how long he games for.

The battery actually looks pretty big and seems to be about 4.5 hours of normal use which is pretty darn good for a gaming laptop. I think most others in the 14~15 inch class only get about 3~3.5.

I like the XPS 15 refresh, too, but wouldn't be a first adopter guinea pig if I were to buy it. What pleases me most about the idea of an XPS15 w/ 1050ti is that it's a small 15-inch laptop footprint-wise, and it has enough power to match my current desktop for gaming, which I'm perfectly happy with at 1080p (HD7970/3570k).

Edit: In fact, I think I would just part out my desktop if I got the refresh. The only concerning thing about the XPS15 is that the screen had a horrid response time, and was apparently very noticeable in fast-paced gaming. Hopefully they improve that.

Edit2: Actually another thing I hope they improve is the cooling mechanism, because the 960m XPS15 throttled regularly on both CPU and GPU: http://laptopmedia.com/review/dell-xps-15-skylake-9550-review-every-designers-wet-dream/#temperatures

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Nov 3, 2016

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Product page is up for the Gigabyte Aero 14 w/ GTX 1060:

http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=6135#kf

Key specs:
GTX 1060 / Core i7 (probs 6700HQ, so overvolted skylake, will need to undervolt)
14 inch screen QHD (1440p) IPS
19.9mm thick (comparison: razer blade 18mm, MSI gs63 is 17.xmm)
1.89kg (probs not including charger)
Optimus (so no g-sync but therefore better battery)
94 watt hour battery (big for a laptop this size?)
335 x 250 x 19.9 dimensions. (So around 13 inches in width, good footprint.)
NO thunderbolt?

Obvious questions / concerns:
1. Heat -- throttling
2. IPS response time for FPS gaming
3. Keyboard ghosting? (gigabyte has had issues with this before)
4. Build quality (aero 14 last generation had suspect, plasticky build quality with screen wobble)

It's basically the Aorus X3 V6 but "non-premium" (with a worse screen)

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Is there some kind of mistake on Aliewnware's product page?

Because it lists the 13" model as being 390mm (15.35 inches) wide, but yet the 15" model is listed at 389mm wide.

Is the 13" model seriously as wide as their own 15 inch model? If so, why did they even bother?

Edit: Apparently it's a typo that just hasn't been fixed. I'd love to know the real dimensions of the AW13 because this behemoth was just laughable to me before but if it comes to be like 12.9 inches wide then suddenly I start considering it.

Edit 2: 13 inches wide https://twitter.com/aw_umar/status/788221570653130752

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Anyone have any experience with the Eluktronics laptops? Their website looks absolutely atrocious, and they undercut everyone, so I can't imagine they're worthwhile.

IIRC they're just clevo rebrands. Got a pretty decent sale going on now it seems, too.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Hadlock posted:

I have the XPS 15 as 17x357x235mm
And then MBA 13 as 19x330x230mm

I'd love to see a side by side of the XPS 15 vs whatever

I read this review last night that claims the Dell's numbers aren't entirely correct for thickness. It's supposedly more like 20mm at the thickest part: http://www.ultrabookreview.com/10980-dell-xps-15-vs-razer-blade-14/

Scroll down to where you see them both side-on.

But 27mm is also more than an inch wider, so they're really not in the same class. The 13" MBA is about the same size as 14 inch notebooks in terms of top-down footprint (like the Aorus X3 or the Gigabyte Aero 14), and the Aero is only 0.9mm thicker.

Hadlock posted:

The current XPS 15 has a 940m

There hasn't been a 1040m announced yet, but the 1050 has. Even if the XPS 15 were to have a 1040 GPU, it should be more than acceptable for most gaming use at medium to high at 1080p

I'm pretty sure the XPS15 has a 960m. The 1050ti is supposedly replacing the 960m by offering 970m performance, and since it is apparently a 60w part, then it should fit in the thermal envelope assuming chip density (more concentrated heat) doesn't wreak too much havoc on Dell's sub-par cooling system.

However, Videocardz.com just reviewed a 1050ti and it's looking like at max draw the card pulls 70~ watts.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Both the Swedish and US site lists it with a GTX 960M :confused:

I do think that a potential 1040 would also be fine with appropriate assumptions of what that would mean. These parts are pretty impressive.

It would be super disappointing if the Dell XPS 15 refresh was waiting on a 1040m; it would mean they couldn't cool the 1050ti with their design. However, I do recall throttling being an issue on the XPS15 with the 960m.

I'd love to see a 1040m or something in 13-inch ultrabooks, but I don't think we see a 1040m for quite some time.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

The Iron Rose, have you gotten your X5V6 yet? You mentioned you'd post a small review, and I'm mostly interested in temperatures.

The X5 seems to perform a little worse than the X7 despite both having the same specs, which makes me think the X5 is throttling under gaming loads.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

VorpalFish posted:

Anyone have thoughts on the razer blade 14 versus the aorus x3v6? I'm having a lot of trouble deciding between the two since there are no real reviews of the Pascal refreshes to speak of.

The aorus looks to have a marginally better processor and the 3200x1800 screen is cheaper than the 1080p razer, but I couldn't game at that resolution anyways and the razer looks less.... dumb. It's there anything to suggest one might handle the heat better than the other?

The Razer Blade is generally known to throttle, get very hot (there's a video out there of it running at 95c on Overwatch), and has poor thermal management. You may see temps in the high eighties to low nineties at normal gaming loads, and if you do synthetic loads, you'll thermal throttle your machine.

For the Blade, they also implemented a custom throttling technique that you need to use Throttlestop to turn off. If you don't, you are not actually getting the full power out of your 1060, but only about 85~90% (for reference, see 3DM scores and game benchmarks). There's been no official word on why they did this, and whether it's safe to turn it off or not. Many users on the Razer forums are reporting turning it off and getting full power without a rise in temperatures.

Nobody knows about the Aorus X3 V6 yet because there don't seem to be many reviews and nobody actually seems to *have* one yet, and if they do, they haven't been posting temps or doing vid reviews etc.

However, with that said, any laptop under an inch and with a 14 inch screen, if it doesn't have a massive chassis (which these don't), is going to handle temps poorly without a doubt. The 1060 is a hot chip, and it has a more concentrated heat output than, say, a 970m it replaces, which makes it more difficult to cool.

Your 14 inch options are the two you mentioned and the MSI GS43VR. There is also the Aero 14 but it's not out yet and will almost certainly have thermal issues. The Alienware 13 is also on pre-order, and nobody knows about its temps and whether it suffers from the same CPU heatsink uneven mounting issues the 15 and 17 do.

The Blade and MSI have tons of reported throttling and running at high temps, for more information on those, visit their respective forums on Notebookreview.com. And as I said, nobody knows about the Aorus, but my bet is under any kind of heavy dual CPU+GPU load, it will throttle.

All 14 inch options will be loud at load.

Despite all these drawbacks, I'm leaning toward the X3 myself. Given it's a similar price to the blade, the reason why is I expect it to handle thermals a little better due to the much thicker chassis (17mm vs 23mm), but I'm waiting for reviews.

ETA: It may also be a consideration that the blade has no upgradability whatsoever. Basically everything is soldered to the board, pretty much. The Aorus will allow you to upgrade RAM if you like, or alternatively add more storage since it has that second M2 slot.

However, the Aorus has no TB3 if eGPU is on your radar.

Another consideration is that Razer takes pride in having the worst customer support and RMA process on earth. Aorus is only marginally better, as far as I can tell. If you're in the UK, don't use Scan.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 21, 2016

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

foutre posted:

My brother wants a 1060 laptop for traveling, with portability and battery life as the main priorities,l.

He wants a 14" or 15" laptop, with a preference for 14" and a more subdued/business appropriate aesthetic.

I had a few ideas, based on following this thread, but thought I'd run it by y'all as well.

To me it seems like the best option in terms of portability/battery life out now is probably the Razer Blade 2016.

I also suggested he look at the MSI GS43/63, but they seem to have less battery life and he was really turned off by the way they looked.

The Aorus x3 also seemed like it might be decent, but I can't really tell what recommends it over the Blade (definitely want to hear about your Aorus experiences when you get it as well, Iron Rose).

My main suggestions ended up boiling down to:

Wait for 1050 laptops (esp the XPS 15 refresh)
Wait to see what the Gigabyte Aero 14 refresh is like
If neither pans out, get a Razer Blade

The kicker is that he pretty much needs it before mid February, so time is a bit of a factor.

Is there anything that I'm missing from the current crop/upcoming computers?

The Aero 14 is probably going to run too hot (the 970m version did) and throttle, unless they majorly reworked their cooling system. They might have, because the new model only has 1 M2 slot versus the 2 on the last one, so they may have changed the motherboard size to accommodate that.

However, the Aero 14 had a host of other problems, including screen wobble, a bad keyboard, and bezels that "unstick" from the screen after several months, etc.

Gigabyte is not well regarded when it comes to build quality, and even their premium brand, Aorus, has had some troubles in that regard.

If you're interested in the Razer, you definitely need to read this thread to see the wide ranges of experiences people are having. The thread goes over thermals, throttling, and the GTX 1060 being gimped without the throttlestop hack: https://insider.razerzone.com/index.php?threads/razer-blade-2016-gtx-1060-benchmarks.17082/

s.i.r.e is getting great temps and that's fantastic, but the 6700hq is notoriously inconsistent, and he may just have great silicon.

I wanted a Razer Blade myself, but being outside of the USA, couldn't risk their famously lovely customer service and RMA which is bound to be ten times worse.

The only thing I think the Aorus X3 has over the Blade is a better screen and more storage at lower price point (if price is an issue), and that it has a thicker chassis and should, in theory, be able to cool better. Of course, the complete absence of user reviews makes that one hard to judge. It also has thin bezels, and is 0.6" narrower in width, but it makes up for that in depth and height. ETA: The x3 also has upgradability (RAM, wifi chip, 2xM2 slots).

The Alienware 13 R3 is the only other laptop sub-15 inch with a 1060. Stay away from the GS43VR, not only does it run really hot, if you look at the heatpipe assembly, you'll see it runs right over the wifi chip. To me, that looks like a busted wifi chip 2 months outside of warranty, and to replace it, you'll have to remove the whole cooling assembly which is just a giant PITA. The GS63 is also very hard to get at, as the motherboard is flipped upside down and has these tiny plastic latches and if you don't have teenage girl fingers, it's going to be a long and frustrating process.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Nov 23, 2016

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

signalnoise posted:

I might have been wrong. I looked up the manual for the thing, and it specified a NVMe slot, but looking at the URL for the pdf, it looks like that manual is actually from the GL502VS. The FX502VM very well might just be a stripped version of that model.

Edit: I checked the manual for the GL502VS. It's the same manual. I called Asus support though and they'll email me hopefully soon with info? Who knows

This Thai video seems to indicate it does have an M2 slot? Left side (err right side in the video since it's upside down?), roughly middle of the motherboard? Or am is that not a slot and I'm just tripping?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhSvmmQk1iA

(Referring to the FX502 GTX 1060 3GB Asus laptop.)

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Nov 26, 2016

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

foutre posted:

Yeah, it's available to order on Xoticpc, but iirc they also started accepting orders for Pascal laptops in general before they were ready to ship.

They've confirmed to someone on NBR that they don't have them in yet.

I'm definitely interested to see how it performs thermally and what undervolting can do for the machine. The thing that keeps pulling me to Gigabyte / Aorus is their default 2 year global warranty. For Clevo or any other brand, really, I have to add nearly 200 bucks to get even a 1 year global warranty, which robs Clevo especially of a lot of its value.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Dell XPS 15 9560 (updated Kaby Lake refresh) product page: http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/accessories/productdetails/xps-15-9560-laptop

GTX 1050 4GB -- assuming that means the TI?

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

Probably not, no. It probably refers to the plain jane 1050.

But that's still a decent card for 1080p. It performs almost as good as the GTX 960, so it's basically a 970m.

A bit underwhelming, the 1050ti would've been a great improvement. But it's not a bad card for gaming at 1080p on medium settings @45 FPS or so.

besides, until september that was about all you could ask from any gaming laptop :v:

Reason I thought might be 1050 ti is because they cite 4gb when, IIRC, only 2gb 1050's exist, and the 4GB ones are all the ti's.

Agreed, TI would have been nice.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Does anybody know if SmartGuard by Warrantech (offered on some laptops by Amazon) is any good? The only worrying info I've been able to find is that they can replace your item with one of a lesser value at their discretion which seems to be your typical fine print but still kinda sucks. But I've not really found many service quality anecdotes on tech forums or reddit.

Specifically this would be for a non-US customer buying from the US store, although the warranty is supposed to be international.

Also, if anybody has any experience buying either a laptop or graphics card from the Amazon US store, but is NOT a US resident and had it shipped internationally, can you please share your experiences?

Ta!

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Neeksy posted:

Why not the 970m and instead the 1060?

Is there a make or model that puts it to better use?

The 970m is last generation, and is a mobile variant of the Maxwell desktop GTX 970. This means it's basically been neutered to fit within a thermal and/or power envelope. It performs roughly on par with a desktop GTX 960, which while is pretty capable at 1080p, isn't stellar.

The 1060 in laptops replaces the 970m, and is part of the new generation of graphics cards (Pascal). Essentially Pascal is Maxwell on steroids. The 1060 does not get neutered for laptops, it is not a 1060"m" -- it is simply the full desktop 1060 minus about 10% performance.

The 1060 vastly outperforms the 970m (is on par with a GTX 980 desktop card) and has far more longevity and "future-proofing" potential. At 1080p it murders just about every game except Witcher 3 w/ hairworks @ Ultra (just turn hairworks off).

Given that 1060-equipped laptops are the replacements for 970m-equipped ones, unless you're specifically bargain-hunting for last-gen stuff, it makes little sense to opt for a 970m than a 1060. The 1060 just completely outclasses what it replaces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Unfortunately the standard 1050 (non-TI) is looking pretty underwhelming in mobile: http://www.ithome.com/html/digi/283758.htm

960m: 100%
m1050: 131%
965m: 135%
970m: 176%
m1050 ti: 181%
980m: 232%
m1060: 285%

Even more eager to find out which 1050 it is for the XPS 15 refresh now.