Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

What's a decent lightweight convertible (or tablet, I guess) right now that has a Wacom digitizer? I'm basically looking for a digital sketchbook and those capacitive pen things won't do. The only ones I can find are the Thinkpad Yoga and the Surface Pro 2, and of the two I'm leaning more towards the Thinkpad. Is that the best solution right now? What else is out there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Is there any store that would likely have a Thinkpad Yoga in stock that I could play around with? I'm interested in it, but I don't want to drop $1300+ on such a thing without trying out the keyboard, hinge, pen digitizer etc. I'm in San Francisco, so if such a store exists I can probably find one here.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

AriTheDog posted:

Returning it to Costco today, and extremely glad I didn't order it from Lenovo. I hope this isn't an indication of the quality of the rest of the new Thinkpad lineup as well.

If you're replacing it with the same thing, let me know how it goes. Are you getting a pen for it as well? That's what I'm especially interested in. Otherwise it's just an expensive and kind of strange looking ultrabook. I have a couple of wacom pens from my drawing tablets and I was going to take one to try it out with the Thinkpad (all Wacom pens should be inter-compatible) if I could find one in store.

Also, why is it that on the microsoft store site it's $1399

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Lenovo-ThinkPad-Yoga-Touchscreen-2-in-1-Core-i7/productID.288728500

but one configured in what appears to be the exact same manner on Lenovo's site is $1739? The only difference is that on the Microsoft site they don't explicitly say it has the wacom digitizer, but on the Lenovo site the only options are 1366x768 no digitizer or 1920x1080 with digitizer, and the Microsoft version has the FHD display. Confusing.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

NIGARS posted:

Wasn't me but I do have a Thinkpad Yoga.

Happy to answer any other questions anyone might have!

What do you mean about the trackpad being "special?" How sturdy is the keyboard-retracting mechanism -- that seems a little gimmicky to me? Have you tried using it with a Wacom pen? Have you noticed anything especially good/bad about the wifi reception?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I am a touch-typist and I absolutely don't understand why people get so concerned about the keyboards being offset. News flash, guys: when you can touch-type you just put your hands on the home row on the keyboard and you're good to go. It doesn't actually matter where the keyboard is. I think it would actually matter more if you weren't a touch-typist.

The laptop I was issued by work is a Precision with an offset keyboard, and it certainly doesn't slow me down.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If you don't have a specific use for the digitizer in mind already, it's not useful to you. If you just want a pen to use on the screen for quick diagrams or whatever, you can get a capacitive stylus for like 10 dollars that will do just fine. The main advantage of the wacom digitizer over the capacitive touch screen alone is that the pen is pressure-sensitive with a lot of fine gradation, so that graphic artists can sketch with it and get variable line weights. If you don't think that pressure sensitivity is important to you then it isn't.

In the commercials for the Thinkpad Yoga, they show people taking notes by handwriting them, which is a terrible step backwards if you're even a half-decent typist, and using the stylus to drag around windows full of business figures, which is unfathomably dumb.

So basically the digitizer option is good if you're an artist who foresees using the TPY as an ultrabook sketchbook. For everyone else, it's kind of pointless.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Tom Guycot posted:

Speaking of the outlet I've now brought up, does anyone have experience with the thinkpad yoga? Theres some refurbished ones for a good price but I don't know how they really compare to say the yoga 2 pro.

I have one and I like it a lot. There were some weird driver problems at the beginning trying to get the Wacom digitizer working with all of the graphics and doodling apps I use, but once I got it figured out it's been very reliable. It feels extremely solid and un-flexy, the screen is excellent and shows no color shifting at any angle, and the keyboard is really really nice. It doesn't have the 3800x1800 display on the Yoga 2 Pro, but considering that it also has a relatively slow HD4400 graphics chipset, I don't know that you'd really want to be pushing all those pixels anyway. I have the 1080p display, and run it at 1:1 mode and zoom Chrome to about 125% and it's fine.

The only annoying thing to me is the configurations. Ideally I would have wanted an i5, 8GB of RAM and the digitizer. You can only get 8 gigs of RAM if you also get an i7. At the Microsoft store you can get one for $1100 with an i5, 4 gigs and the digitizer, or for $1400 with an i7, 8 gigs and no digitizer. If you go through Lenovo's site you'll be paying about $200 more than at the Microsoft store, so to get one with 8 gigs and the digitizer you'll be $1700+, and also the shipping is like a month long I've heard. I went to the Microsoft store, bit the bullet and got the one with 4 gigs of RAM, saved the money and so far haven't run into any problems even running a couple of Adobe apps simultaneously.

Battery life I suppose isn't great, 6 hours with the screen at medium brightness if you aren't doing anything demanding, but that's enough for my uses, and in any case the charger is this teeny little thing that weighs nothing so I don't mind carrying it around.

Great machine IMO. I've never owned a ThinkPad before and I really am loving the keyboard especially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Are there any pressure-sensitive pens that work with the X1 Carbon's display? Something similar to the one in the Yoga models.