Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Just was going to post about the S7...The 2560x1440 option sounds amazing. How good was the Ivy Bridge S7 in terms of build quality/feel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Shame there's no specs and the display ports are all mini versions. I'd totally be okay with a few additional millimeters of thickness if it means not having to worry about dongles.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/05/fujitsu-intros-lifebook-uh90-ultrabook/

Jesus christ, I love that this year is finally the year everyone's catching up on the high resolution thing:

quote:

The 14-inch portable is ever-so-slightly thinner than its ancestor at 15.5mm (0.61 inches) thick, but upgrades to an extra-dense 3,200 x 1,800, IGZO-based touchscreen. The improvements are more than just skin-deep, of course. A Haswell-based, 1.6GHz Core i5 helps feed that monster display, and a 500GB hybrid hard drive strikes a balance between speed and storage.

Can that processor/IGP even power that well?

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

V for Vegas posted:

Man that new zenbook is one sexy machine

quote:

Internally, the Zenbook Infinity is also pretty cool. Unlike all other Haswell Ultrabooks we've seen, the ZBI is home to a 28W Haswell ULT: the Core i7-4558U. The dual-core part features Intel's Iris 5100 graphics (GT3 without Crystalwell) as well as a higher base CPU clock frequency. The result should be a very interesting combination of power efficiency and GPU performance on tap. ASUS seems to always pick the right parts to integrate into its mobile devices, and the i7-4558U is definitely an interesting one.

Oh yeah! That is pretty neat. I can't wait to see how it performs.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
What companies other than Apple have really nailed the touchpad?

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7047/the-haswell-ultrabook-review-core-i74500u-tested/5

Anandtech reviews a Haswell ultrabook. I've gone ahead and snipped the part I was most interested in:

Wait for Haswell indeed.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
It's budget proposal time at the nonprofit I work at and I'm looking for 2 12-14" laptops at $800 each. Ideally, they'll be thin and light (under 3-3.5 pounds if possible) and also have nice keyboards, battery life, and SSD's (we'll be using them primarily for a whole lot of note taking, using Google Docs and also presenting Powerpoints at conferences). We won't need a whole lot of space on them if that helps.

Any suggestions? I'm guessing a ThinkPad of some sort? Are the Haswell models announced and priced out yet?

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Hadlock posted:

x230 is a great choice, no SSD but you'll be able to get parts for it in 10 years' time, great keyboard, with the 6 or 9 cell battery they last for 5-10 hrs depending on the battery

You don't really need an SSD for presentations or google docs, but it's a very simple upgrade you can do down the road. Haswell x230/x240 haven't officially been announced yet.

Awesome; we're not going to order anything just yet. This is just our budget proposal.

I'd like to get SSD's just because I have em on my desktop and I can't even think about going back to spinning platters. But you're saying I can upgrade it later?

And what's the max memory for it?

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Well if you want to upgrade in the future it looks like the IPS panel is $75 plus shipping.

I'm guessing there's no proper HD screen for the X230 you can get?

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
So whatever happened to the ThinkPad Helix? How were the reviews for it? That thing looks amazing for doodling and drawing with that Wacom active digitizer.

It's a shame it got released like a month before Haswell :argh:

fookolt fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jun 16, 2013

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

sports posted:

Unfortunately they start at $1,650. I'd rather take an mba 13" for less than that.

On Lenovo and Amazon, I see the 8GB/256GB one for ~$1800. And the MBA doesn't come with an HD screen or an active digitizer :(

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Hadlock posted:

Sometime this fall. Intel is rolling out the i7's (highest margin? also to help sell down the i3/i5 ivy bridges?) and then standard i5 stuff will follow once the bleeding edge i7 crowd has had their fill. Probably late/end of September when Back to School season ends and the Christmas season begins.

This waiting for Haswell is some painful poo poo, Hadlock :argh:

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Hadlock posted:

My 2012 era x230 i5-3320 laptop is about as fast CPU wise as my 2009/2010 era i5-750 desktop. My laptop was supposed to be a mobile computing crutch, now it gets about as much use as my desktop, especially since the x230 has a high end ultimate-N antenna and I can use it on the back patio with a 108mbps connection.

The HD4000 in my laptop is about half as fast as the 460 GTX in my desktop. That's plenty fast for almost any indie game on the planet, netflix, hulu, editing HD video etc.

Haswell GPU will do Skyrim happily, BF3 just barely on low, based on early reports. Integrated graphics have come a long ways.

Woah, that's amazing. What's the i7-3667U like in comparison to the i5-3320M or i7-3520M in the x230? I'm still eyeing that Helix pretty hard.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

RVProfootballer posted:

Samsung Ativ Book 9 Plus (great name ha) announced, 3200x1800, 12 hour battery, 1.4kg. I'm really hoping the battery life holds up; I was expecting new ultrabooks to be maybe 10 hours, given that the new Air is 12. Supposedly slightly better trackpad and keyboard than last gen Series 9, too.

drat, I love that everyone's finally moving to super high res screens. Hopefully Microsoft will actually implement something to improve the user experience with these screens.

It's a shame they don't mention the specific processor/GPU for the Plus.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

So 1366x768 is dying. Next up, kill 16:9.

I'll take a 2700x1800 Haswell Chromebook Pixel, please.

Eh, I'm okay with 16:9 if we're talking 3200x1800. That's still more vertical than a 2560x1600 or 2560x1440.

bull3964 posted:

The real question is HD4400 or HD5000? If I can get an HD5000 GPU in there, I will be all over that.

Apparently, it's an HD4400 :smith:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/20/4449124/samsung-ativ-book-lite-notebook

fookolt fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jun 20, 2013

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
God drat, the Razer Blade 14 looks amazing. It's a shame about the lovely TN screen :(

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

NeoSeeker posted:

So what is a laptop with basically the same specs that you'd recommend? Kinda want the GTX 770m and the 3ghz dual core.

It's a 3.2GHz quad core and why do you want these things? What are you planning to do with this laptop?

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Gnamra posted:

I'm looking for a laptop with alot of power and durability, and I don't want to import a laptop due to keyboard differences and 25% VAT. I'll be using the laptop for school and gaming. I've been browsing a bit and I'd like some feedback on these:

Acer Aspire V3-772G http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=779552#extra
  • Intel Core i7 4702MQ
  • 1600 x 900 Resolution
  • 8 GB ( 2 x 4 GB ) RAM
  • NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 4 GB DDR3 VRAM
  • // isn't 4GB massively overkill for such a small resolution?
MSI GE60 15.6" Full HD http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=781361#extra
  • Intel Core i7 4700MQ
  • 1920 x 1080 Resolution
  • 8GB RAM
  • NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M - 2 GB GDDR5 SDRAM
MSI GE70 17.3" Full HD http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=781359#extra
  • Intel Core i7 4700MQ
  • 1920 x 1080 Resolution
  • 8GB RAM
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 765M - 2 GB GDDR5 SDRAM

I'm linking to the Norwegian site because when I checked newegg and some other sites and the specs were different.
I was going to link to a google translated version of the site, but the tabs on the site hosed it up so it didn't work.

Translating it with google chrome works though.

I'm concerned about the build quality, I have no experience with MSI laptops and very little experience with Acer aspire laptops. I don't want any screws to come loose or the screen to loosen and flop back and forth easily.

One of the worst ones I've had to endure was an acer travelmate(I think it was a 2420), the screen would move several centimeters and it looked like the screen was about to fall off.

What games are you going to play? Are you thinking of using your laptop in class/at the library or is it going to stay on your desk?

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

TenementFunster posted:

I've had an Alienware m11x for a few years and enjoy the smaller size immensely for most of the time when I'm not gaming on it, which is basically all the time.

How is the 14" Razer Blade?

edit: apparently the blade has a not so hot screen at lower resolution, but it has actual battery life and look crazy much thinner than the Alienware. welp.

Reviews for the Razer Blade 14" are out today:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7119/razer-blade-14inch-gaming-notebook-review
http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/2/4486190/razer-blade-review-14-inch
http://www.wired.com/reviews/2013/07/rader-blade-14/

It's basically perfect for what I want except for the screen. I'll be waiting for next year's refresh.

fookolt fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 2, 2013

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

sports posted:

Have you heard of a Retina MacBook Pro?

I had one actually :) The MacBook definitely has a much better screen, marginally better battery life, and much nicer touchpad. I'm not sure how the construction/feel stacks up.

However, 15" is too big of a footprint for me and if you look at the GPU comparison on the first page, the GTX 765M takes a big ol' dump on the GT650M when it comes to gaming. The Razer is also a bit lighter.

14" is the very biggest I want to go with something I don't want stuck on a desk. 13" would be even more ideal, but I imagine there's no way Razer's going to pull that off without breaking some laws of thermodynamics.

fookolt fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jul 3, 2013

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

sports posted:

Aand you're sure you need to get a GPU and compromise portability of the laptop?

For the construction, screen size, and the quad-core, I don't see nothing like it out there. Still, I'll be waiting for the refresh.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

SoggyGravy posted:

If money were no object and I were looking for something similar to the razer blade 14" (but not necessarily requiring a quad core i7 but definitely a discrete GPU of some sort) that was not as gaudy as the" razer blades garish green logo and weighed less than 5 lbs what sort of options would I be looking at?

http://forum.notebookreview.com/what-notebook-should-i-buy/662161-thin-light-11-14-notebooks-gaming-worth-compendium-2013-update.html

That might help. My dream laptop is a 13.3-14" Haswell with an Iris 5100, a Thunderbolt port for eGPU, and a really high quality display and keyboard.

Basically, I'm waiting for the next MacBook Pro Retina 13 :smith:

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
The one really important thing to think about is something you unfortunately can't easily get from a list of specs: build quality and industrial design. Like WHERE MY HAT IS AT said, MSI is all plastic chunks.

Of course, opinions vary, but I personally feel that if you're going to spend more than a grand on something, you want something that doesn't feel like it will break apart if you look at it wrong.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Hadlock posted:

If it's going in a backpack and to school with you every day, you need something more durable. Let me introduce you to my friend the T430

The Yoga 13 is an awesome choice as well, it is a well built machine

Yoga 13 really is best in it's class (convertable ultrabooks) nothing else really exists that matches it at it's price point.

Go back and read the OP:

Hey Hadlock, I figure you would know about this...How does CPU affect performance for Battlefield 3? I'm looking specifically at the Haswell MacBook Air processors (I'd be using it with a ViDock external GPU thingy).

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Duck and Cover posted:

Can we please stop posting until the Samsung Ativ Book 9 Plus gets a release date/pricing that'd be nice. I mean seriously gently caress you Samsung, if you're going to show off something you should have the decency to tell me when it's going to be out as well as for how much.

Hah, I feel like Samsung, Lenovo, and Asus are completely dragging their loving feet with their Haswell ultrabooks. All I've seen so far is plastic poo poo from Lenovo.

It seems like Windows PC manufacturers have caught up to Apple since Ivy Bridge...except for the whole bringing their drat products to market.

fookolt fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jul 7, 2013

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
Yeah, but I've only heard bad things about Sony, especially their new Haswell VAIOs.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Hadlock posted:

I would imagine that they're putting the i7s that they have access to in to their "plastic poo poo" lines that corporations don't buy a whole lot of.

From a sales perspective it's probably a lot easier to say "new thinkpad lineups are just around the corner" rather than "uhh, well they're just available with i7s for the moment, no, I can't sell you any haswell i5s, you'll just have to have Ivy Bridge i5s and Haswell i7s. I know that doesn't make a whole lot of sense... look -- let's chat in 2-3 months when I can tell you more about our i5s that I can't tell you about right now due to a NDA. No, wait, please don't go to dell, I'll do anything..."

ninja edit: is Sony actually shipping their i5 haswell ultrabooks?

https://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&identifier=S_VAIO_Duo13_CTO

Not yet it seems? At least there's a date for it.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

DrDork posted:

As much as I'd like to believe it, I simply don't see a lot of manufacturers picking super-high resolution displays for anything but niche products. It doesn't make a lot of sense to stick anything higher than a 1080p display into a "gaming" laptop, nor does it really make sense for a business or mid-range one, either. I'm sure there are a few super-high res laptops like the ones shown at the last few trade-shows that might be waiting, but those would seem to be the exceptions. Frankly, I'll be ecstatic if 1366x768 at higher than 12" dies off this generation (it won't). It seems far more likely to me that the holdup is the lack of i5 availability, rather than anything else.

We've got the Samsung Ativ Book 9 Plus Platinum Tigershark Hydro Copper SE (3200x1800), Asus Zenbook Infinity (2560x1440), Fujitsu Lifebook UH90/L (3200x1800), Dell XPS 11 (2560x1440), Acer Aspire S7 (2560x1440), and god knows what else.

You're right that these are only a few laptops, but at least they're at the top of the bill now.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Bob Morales posted:

I have an HP Probook for the last few weeks at work, it's kind of an in-between of the Envy and Elitebook lines. It has a metallic body around the keyboard, but you can tell it's hollow, thin metal. It has a lot of flex to it and it doesn't have a solid feel like a MacBook Pro.

It's fairly thick, and the keyboard includes a number pad, which is a joke. It's incredibly uncomfortable to place your hands on the side of the keyboard instead of the center. The up/down arrow keys are also incredibly small. The touchpoint or whatever HP calls it isn't quite as good as Lenovos, but it's a mile ahead of the horrible trackpad. It's a large trackpad but doesn't pick your movements up half the time. For just moving the cursor, it's not to bad, but scrolling doesn't work 2/3 times and it's very, very bad about filtering out when your palm or something hits it. If the edge of your palm is making contact with the touchpad when you try to move the cursor, it won't go anywhere.

The screen is only 1366x768 (14"), not sure if there's a higher resolution available, but this one doesn't have it. That said, the A6 processor combined with a platter-based HD makes for a miserable computing experience.

Ugh, I cannot stand number pads on laptops; they always make typing on them a lovely experience. Everything you posted is basically what laptop makers shouldn't be doing.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

DrDork posted:

The point is that with the Blade you are certainly paying a premium for the Razor brand. Admittedly, to get the sort of laptop that the Blade is, you're either going to pay the premium to Razor or to Alienware, so it's not like you have a good alternative. Either way, the point being that the Ativ has a very compelling piece of hardware (crazy high-res screen) that happily justifies its price without having to resort to a "it's the only one of its type" justifications.

The crazy part about the Razer Blade 14 is how expensive it is for how awful the screen is:

quote:

The Razer Blade 14-inch may be enjoying a 1600x900 resolution that's perfect for the gaming hardware included within, but the panel itself is atrocious. Razer was able to jack up the brightness to a respectable 453 nits, but it's a linear boost: the black level is a heinous 2.24 nits. There's just no excuse for this; Lenovo was able to get a 14", 1600x900 panel in their X1 Carbon that walks all over the Blade's. And Alienware is offering a 1080p IPS panel on their Alienware 14, a notebook that may be thicker but offers the same GPU, an optical drive, and a faster CPU. I was stunned by the Blade's beautiful design, and I was equally stunned by its dire screen quality, which suffers from the same nasty "no correct viewing angle" problem that cheap TN panels typically do.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7119/razer-blade-14inch-gaming-notebook-review/5

Total bummer :(

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Sendo posted:

They used the screen for it's far lower latency which for a gaming laptop makes a lot of sense.

I feel like other gaming laptops use really good displays, don't they?

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

LurkingAsian posted:

I got mine with:
i7-4700QM
Geforce Gtx 765m
16Gb ram
256Gb SSD + 1Tb HD
Intel® Dual Band AC 7260 Wireless

The screen is not listed as IPS on Xotic PC's site but it should be a similar technology. Apparently IPS is a LG trademark?

drat, isn't the RAM and SSD upgradeable? I'd rather get that later.

Also, what's the construction like? Aluminum? Carbon fiber? Flexy plastic poo poo?

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Mu Zeta posted:

I had a Clevo/Sager 8130 and in terms of build quality it was a hunk of poo poo. Very cheap plastic feel and one of the screws stripped when I was replacing the hard drive. Can't argue with the amazing specs you get for the money, but I was glad to just return it and get something else.

That's a drat shame. It's killing me to wait; I think I'm just going to get a MacBook Air and resell it if I need to when the new hot poo poo comes out from Samsung/Asus.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
So would this mean anything for laptops in terms of battery life for dGPU's?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7169/nvidia-demonstrates-logan-soc-mobile-kepler

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Bob Morales posted:

That's targeted to something like a tablet or maybe an AppleTV at the most for gaming

drat, so I guess they can't scale it up to laptops. That's a shame.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

BobHoward posted:

No, they already have scaled it up to laptops and beyond. In fact, this is a scaling-down, the desktop/laptop versions came first. "Kepler" is a codename for a family of 28nm GPUs sharing a common building block, the SMX. To scale the size of the GPU (and therefore its raw compute power), they vary the number of SMX blocks tiled onto a chip. The big deal about Logan is that it's an ARM SoC with a minimum size (one SMX) Kepler GPU, and the minimum Kepler is a whole lotta GPU by ARM tablet/phone standards.

For a point of comparison, the GeForce GT 650M used in the current and soon to be obsoleted rMBP 15" is a two-SMX Kepler. (I wouldn't be surprised if the 650M is a lot more than twice as fast as the Logan GPU in practice, though, thanks to clock speeds, power budget, memory performance, and so on.)

Thanks for the explanation! That makes a whole lotta sense.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Naffer posted:

I'd buy that tomorrow if it came with 8GB of RAM, even if it was $1450 instead.

Yep...What the hell is up with these nice rear end ultrabooks even being offered with 4GB in 2013 anymore? I can understand it if we're talking about cheaper laptops, but if you're spending $1200 or more on a laptop, I feel like 8GB should be the minimum expectation.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Hadlock posted:

4GB is fine if you're not a power user or you still remember what the red X button does.

I can't remember the last time I closed a window, I generally keep 40+ chrome tabs open and I'm rocking 4.95GB/8.00GB consumed at the moment.

I'm sure if I closed 20 tabs or so I could get it under 4GB.

4GB isn't going to limit you from fragging n00bs or writing email, you just won't be able to do both while running folding@home and editing 4K video and doing a 3d render in maya/blender. If you can live with that kind of handicap, I guess you'd be ok with just 4GB of ram.

TL;DR people who insist on 8GB of ram do so because they're power users who actually bump up against the 4GB limit on a regular basis

Pretty much; I never close anything and right now I'm at 15.3GB out of 24GB on my desktop. Dozens of tabs open in four browsers along with Ableton humming along for whenever musical inspiration strikes. 8GB is just simply the bare minimum of usability for me, but I also recognize that I'm the outlier :o:

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Naffer posted:

Dell announced Haswell updates to the XPS 13 and XPS 15.
The XPS 15 looks to be positioned to compete directly with the MBPro retina now.
http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/02/dell-xps-13-15-refreshed/?utm_medium=feed&utm_source=Feed_Classic&utm_campaign=Engadget&ncid=rss_semi

That XPS 15 looks amazing. I just hate the Dell logo :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Doctor Albatross posted:

I'm getting pretty close to deciding between a Macbook Air and something like the ASUS ZENBOOK UX31E. The 13" size, thinness and SSD are really appealing for both. I guess it comes down to preference of OS, really, doesn't it? I've been told by friends "just get an ex-lease Dell or something", but something with a nice metal body and being capable of 720p/1080p video on the laptop or connected to an HDTV is really preferable. Doing that and being able to carry around something fairly small and light in a backpack for uni would be perfect. Is there anything out there I might be ignoring out of brand preference / being generally ignorant?

I just got a MacBook Air 13 and I loving love it. The battery life and build quality is seriously incredible; I flew from Philadelphia to Los Angeles and used it the entire time and still had half battery left.

The only negative is the lovely TN screen, but I've been spoiled with IPS panels on my home and work computers. Hopefully next year they'll introduce a high resolution IPS panel for the Air...hopefully :ohdear: