Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I've been thinking about upgrading my laptop and have come down to the following 2 options. I do some light gaming (wow being the most resource intensive), some photoshopping (infrared photography is my hobby and it occasionally includes processing some large batches of raw files), and lots and lots of fairly resource intensive text mining and statistical computations (where the bottleneck is generally hd read speeds). My current options are:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K2O4QQI/?tag=extension-kb-20

and a sager 6658:
http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np6658-clevo-w650sj-p-6994.html

with 120gb ssd and 1tb hd.

I don't care much about size (one is 17 the other 15.6). I travel a lot, but generally use the laptop at a desk, so weight/battery life are entirely secondary. Price lines up so it is mostly a matter of HD and size. Anyone has any experience with the acer and sager models above? Anything beyond the specs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
As I wade through possible laptops, I've started to see a lop more 15 inch laptops with 4k screens. Is 4k on a 15 inch monitor even noticeable?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

dissss posted:

Yes its noticeable because it isn't usable at 100% scaling and a lot of apps still don't scale to other levels very well.

Unless I misunderstood you, wouldn't this be a negative for 4k, given that 1080 still is the standard?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
As someone who doesnt need the latest and greatest, what is generally the amount of time between the announcement of the new gen stuff and the previous gen stuff going on sale? The laptopdeals reddit seems to indicate that any day now we'll be able to buy dirt cheap models with 2070s, and I don't know how realistic that is.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Lockback posted:

Most of that stuff has already been on sale. Usually the pattern is

Release --> Expensive
1/2 cycle later
Sale Prices
1/2 cycle later
Release new--> Expensive

The ROG stuff was in Sale Prices for the last couple months and now stock is dwindling, thought its still popping up in sales.

You might see some fire sales of old stuff but usually it's not terribly common. Places have gotten better at stocking and generally they want to sell during the end of the cycle, not during the new of the other cycle.

That said, there have been 2070 laptops for $1000 and 2060s for $700 which is pretty dirt cheap and the 1xxx series stuff didn't drop much cheaper than that. The 3xxx series will be out but expect it to generally be pretty expensive for a while.

Yeah, those prices are what I am seeing for 2070s and 2060s, and I was pretty set on buying one to replace my 6 year old laptop with something both lighter (mine is a 17 inch beast) and more current, but when I went to check the laptopdeals subreddit it was pretty much "dont buy now, wait for the end of the month," which I was pretty skeptical about comparing the prices of 1660 and 2060 laptops.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Am I right in understanding that the benchmarks we have so far show that the 3060 is a relatively minor upgrade over the 2070 in their mobile versions?

The reason I ask is because I saw this at best buy

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-g...p?skuId=6416473

and it seemed like a pretty decent deal, one where the difference in terms of uselife from a 3060 one wouldn't be that great. The most gaming I do is wow or a paradox game, so they wouldn't need to be top of the line.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Lockback posted:

So that's the non-super Max-P? If it is a S then the 2070 (115W) will be about the same as the 3060 depending on the game:
https://www.techspot.com/review/2193-geforce-rtx-3060-laptop/

Non Super is about 10% slower for mobile I think? But I am not sure.

Ryzen is a better CPU but I wouldn't call the game performance difference massive. Generally that looks like a pretty good price for what you get. If you plan on pushing that 2070 I'd suggest getting a cooling pad though.

I'm not a heavy gamer. As I said, it's wow with paradox stuff, and mostly when I travel. I generally buy a laptop whenever those types of game evolve enough to start pushing the bounds of what i have. My current laptop is a close to 7 year old Acer that could run wow on max settings when i bought it and now runs it close to minimum settings and produces a lot of heat while doing so, on top of a broken speaker system and a relatively small ssd for current standards (256). Relatively small differences don't really matter to me and my concern is more "will this last me 5 years or will I have to replace it in 3 in order to keep up with game demands" rather than "will I get 70 fps versus 80."

My understanding as someone who really hasn't kept up is that Ryzen's massive advantage is in multi thread applications and that in single core ones like most games it's not that big a deal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

ReverendDre posted:

Goon Hivemind: HALP!

Old warhorse ASUS laptop finally died this morning. Think it was a refurb from 2012, GeForce 700m graphics chip, could run Skyrim and other games from that era. Survived multiple drops, spills, screen held up by painters tape, etc. Long live the ASUS!

So in the market for a new something. Last few years only used laptop for general tasks as it was hooked up to the TV. Watching streams, word processing, photos, taxes, file management, occasional GeForce Now gaming. Most stuff is done on my phone or tablet now but really I don't feel comfortable being without a PC. I know nothing about the pc market anymore or cpus or graphics cards outside of the 3080 release being a bot loaded disaster. What are my best budget options? I mostly just want something reliable but would enjoy the option of light gaming such as running Demon Souls on RPCS3. I have a "need to talk purchases over with the wife" budget so like $500. Any help is appreciated.

Just as an fyi, ebay has a president's day sale going on for certified refurbished (code prezday20). I just bout an acer with a certified refurb acer with a 2060 and a i7-10750H for a little less than 850.