Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

dyne posted:

Thanks for asking this question; I had no idea the B&N deal existed. I just canceled the order I placed yesterday for a yoga 2, and reordered using the B&N link and saved $80

I did this too, but I'm slightly worried about my "cancel request" not working or getting lost or something. I put the cancel in Wednesday, the order is at "released to manufacturing," and set to ship Nov. 1. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Business posted:

Is there any point to a touchscreen laptop that doesn't fold back into tablet form? I don't get it and I'm wondering if there's something I'm missing

I've messed around with my wife's Yoga 11s in normal laptop mode, just browsing. Reaching up to the screen to swipe was surprisingly handy and I tended to do it a lot. This was only for like a 10 minute sitting, so I don't know how bad it would be for extended use. Two finger swiping on the touchpad is also a really similar and probably less tiring method for doing the same, though some touchpads can be poor enough that it's a hassle.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Cream_Filling posted:

I'd rather take the extra cash, battery life, and weight. Even if it's just like $50 I'd rather take the $50 instead of a dumb feature.

We know, you'd rather put that money into a nice super high res screen instead!

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

dyne posted:

Well, Lenovo just pushed the ship date of my wife's yoga 2 back to 11/27

It's my understanding that the ship date is pretty fluid and inaccurate. Mine went from 11/11 to 10/31, then Halloween morning out to 11/25. It'll ship sometime, eventually, is what I take away from that.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

hayden. posted:

Where'd you see this? Time to put their post purchase price matching to the test, thanks!

bestbuy.com has it listed for $899.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

I didn't realize laptops ever used non-standard subpixel arrangements. Is pentile or other such things common?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

The only thing I would add about the Yoga 2 Pro is that the 8/256 model is $1080 (plus tax) from Lenovo via B&N link, or at least was a week or two ago. If you can stand to wait a month or more to actually get it, doubling ram and SSD for under $200 could be worth it to you.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

FYI, Yoga 2 Pro i7/8/256 is now actually available to buy from Best Buy for $1200, and there's a coupon for $50 off an i7 laptop with a student email address. This makes it less than $100 more than an i5/8/256 from Lenovo via B&N, and you can actually get it within a few days rather than months!

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

What games do you want it to handle? What else will you be doing with it? Do you really want a 15.6" laptop with a 1366x768 display?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

dyne posted:

The ThinkPad yoga is also listed on newegg.

Lenovo pushed back my yoga 2 order again, now with an est ship date of 12/24.

I just canceled my Lenovo order and switched to Best Buy, got the laptop in under a week for very nearly the same price. I'd recommend it!

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

dyne posted:

It looks like the same config (8gb and 256gb) is $1200 at bestbuy, which is $120 more than from the b&n Lenovo dealie

Best Buy is i7, that Lenovo is i5 (right?). Also if you have an .edu email, you can get a $50 coupon for Best Buy. Since I do have one, it was i5, $1080, and an indeterminate wait time from Lenovo, vs. i7, $1150, and shipped within 3 days from Best Buy. Tax charged by both, shipping free from both. Your call on if it's worth it, but I was getting kind of fed up with the wait and will actually probably benefit from the i7.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Naffer posted:

I'm glad you posted this since it happened to me and if I hadn't read this post I might have freaked out.

Did you notice that your display brightness is MUCH lower after the bios update?

Yep, brightness definitely lower, though I'm happy as I thought the minimum brightness below was a little too bright.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Yoga 2 Pro is real good. I've had mine for 3 days now, haven't noticed any wifi issues, the BIOS update or power software update seemed to fix the yellow issue, and I really like the soft touch material around the keyboard a lot more than the metal Zenbook I had. I'm really pleased with it so far. My one annoyance is the smaller sized right shift key, but I'm getting used to it already and otherwise the keyboard in general feels as good as the Zenbook's.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

blue.eyed.ash posted:

My old laptop died and I've been looking at ultrabooks since I travel a fair bit. Thanks to this thread, I've been looking at the Best Buy Yoga 2 Pro, but I noticed that it's only got 4GB of onboard RAM. If I'm looking to buy and keep it for 4-5 years, how realistic is 4GB?

None of my uses are particularly robust - web surfing, Office, GOG.com-era gaming, maybe some Hearthstone. I feel like I could probably get away with it just fine, but something about just not being to upgrade at all has me concerned.

They also carry a 8/256 model for $1200, which is almost certainly worth it if you're planning on keeping the laptop for 4-5 years.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

I was surprised to see you hated the touchpad on the Yoga 2 Pro so much, but then I remembered I fiddled with it immediately so out of the box it might be quite a bit worse. I turned off palm detection thanks to advice I saw here, then ended up installing a recent touchpad driver for the original Yoga because I hate the reverse scrolling direction and couldn't toggle it in the standard Yoga 2 Pro drivers.

With those changes, at least, I've found the touchpad quite good. Easily better than the Zenbook Prime I had previously, though it was solid too. No jumping cursor, smooth movements, multi finger gestures have worked every time. No complaints

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Stew Man Chew posted:

People with Yoga2Pros, how's the firmware update treating the yellow issue? Any improvements particularly as relates to battery life?

No more yellow issues that I notice, but as mentioned a number of pages back, it looks like this required lowering the maximum brightness to recalibrate things. It still gets plenty bright, though. For battery life, I haven't really noticed a difference. With high brightness levels, you can kill it in like 2-4 hours of use, or more like 4-8 with brightness at 50% or lower.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

internet inc posted:

How much space is left after the Windows 8.1 install?

If you're going to want to have it for at least a couple years, I would recommend bumping up to 256GB. For that model, I found these (which sound right, though I've filled mine up with a bunch of junk since getting it):
C: 220GB total, 196GB free
D: 4GB total (Lenovo drivers)
Other partitions:
Recovery: 11.54GB
Recovery: 1GB
OEM Partition: 1GB
EFI Partition: 250MB

Hopefully someone here has the 128GB and can chime in, but I expect C: will be down to maybe ~70-80GB, something like that? You can probably get some space back from that recovery partition, if you feel comfortable killing it. For some perspective, the previous generation Yoga 13 with 128GB SSD, after fixing the wonky partition scheme it shipped with, ended up with a C: drive with ~100GB total and ~70GB free.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

H5N1 posted:

I'm shopping for high-end ultrabooks and have been getting my nerd on using a spreadsheet to track all my options because no one laptop has all the options I want (I'm very picky).

I ran across the HP Spectre 13t-3000 which looks -- on paper -- to be an AMAZING machine. Top-of-the-product-line specs are:

13.3" 2560x1440 touchscreen / i7-4500U / 8GB RAM / 256 SSD / 3.2 lbs / 0.59" thick

$1435 as configured.

Why am I not reading about this laptop anywhere -- this looks like a killer setup.

What's the catch?

Yoga 2 Pro configured the same with a 3200x1800 display is $1200 from Best Buy, if that's an option. Does that HP have a backlit keyboard? Photos make it look like maybe not. Without reviews, the keyboard and trackpad quality is also an unknown.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

internet inc posted:

That's $150 for an extra 128GB and I'm not exactly sure I can justify that much money unless you're telling me that my OS is going to double in size in 4-5 years. I will no doubt get rid of the recovery partition as well as the other useless ones. I don't mind being limited in files I can carry, as I'm hoping to keep my laptop free of too many distractions [insert college chat here]. What worries me is the OS. Ugh. Basically, I want to listen to you but my wallet (and girlfriend) aren't going to like it!

Well, you know best what you plan to do with it. My previous laptop had a 128GB SSD, and it was just ok. After installing Word, a few programs for work (a couple GB each), my Dropbox, a few selected folders synced from Box.com, and 1-2 games on Steam, I was down to ~20GB. I've read that you should try to keep at least 20% of your SSD free or things start to deteriorate (not sure how noticeably, though), which put me effectively at the limit. No, Windows isn't going to grow dramatically in the next few years, but the things you want to do with your laptop and store on it (programs, stuff you're actively working on, etc., not long term storage) probably will!

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Curvature of Earth posted:

Well, I tried to buy a Yoga 2 Pro at Best Buy (only $1200 for the i7/8GB/256GB version! that's supposed to go for $1500!), but they were completely out. However, Lenovo's own site has the same deal. Unfortunately, they inexplicably only offer that model in "clementine orange". So, I have a couple questions: one, is this a once-in-a-blue-moon kind of deal that I should worry about jumping on right now? And two, to those of you on this thread who've bought the Yoga 2, in real life is the orange model okay, or is it obnoxiously ORANGE?

Have you tried checking through the B&N link? I think I found the silver i7/8GB/256GB model there, though like you I couldn't find it on the main site.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Hadlock posted:

We just answered this question about halfway up the page. TL;DR good screen, terrible keyboard, sharp corners. Awful keyboard. Did I mention the keyboard sucks?

You're confusing the Vizio with the Asus. The Asus Zenbook Primes have great screens, good keyboards (for an ultrabook), and sharp corners

LunacySystem posted:

Edit: Never mind it sold out BAH
http://www.canadacomputers.com/prod...&item_id=054964 is this a good deal? I just want something with a nice screen that I can watch Youtube on, and maybe play small Steam games like Peggle on. I'm also seeing mixed messages whether the SSD is upgradeable or not, though I don't know if I really need a bigger one.

If you find it again somewhere, that would be a good laptop for what you want. Great screen, decent battery, the HD4000 easily handles non-intensive games up to the past year or two. Don't plan on upgrading anything in it, though; I think you technically can, but it is explicitly made to be non-upgradeable.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

internet inc posted:

Any news on the Yoga 2 Pro yellows fix? I installed the power management thing and it looks better but also much darker, as others have mentioned. It's even worse when I turn off the automatic brightness adjustment.

It's not too bad but I'm sort of hoping they aren't giving up on it. I hate auto brightness but I have to deal with it otherwise it's way too dark.

Turn off auto brightness and manually turn up the brightness? The thing still gets pretty bright, just slightly less eye-searingly bright as before the update.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

internet inc posted:

I got a Y2P myself and haven't had the wifi issues. I think it doesn't happen on all models or it has already been fixed or something. It happened to only one goon out of many in this thread, IIRC.

Chrome scales fine but not in tablet mode but gently caress tablet mode. Eventually all programs should scale properly but I use 1600x900 in the meantime since Foxit/Adobe haven't been updated to work at high resolutions.

Other than that, it's a pretty awesome laptop. Go for it.

Adobe Reader scales and text looks fantastic in it, if all you're doing is reading.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

internet inc posted:

Does it? Last time I used it the menus were tiny and pretty much unusable to take notes/highlights. Or maybe that's what you meant by "if all you're doing is reading"?

Oh yeah, I really meant just for reading. But that's better than Acrobat/Pro whatever, where the text is really really poor.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

tijag posted:

This makes a lot of sense! Thanks for the explanation.

Lastly, Chrome on Win 8.1 is weird. I want to set scaling to 150% but that causes Chrome to be all blurry. Am I don't something wrong?

Not sure if it'll help you too, but 200% scaling on my Yoga 2 Pro needed the hi-dpi flag in chrome://flags to be enabled, maybe a few others too.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

LogicNinja posted:

Okay, approaching decision point here. I don't plan to game enough to justify a top notch gaming laptop and it's downsides (weight, e.g.) and something that can handle today's games on medium will handle the day after tomorrow 's games on very low if at all.

I really liked the reel of the yoga pro 2. However, I can't find the 8gb ram version for less than 1800 online, best buy seems to be out.

Aside from size, what the hell is the difference between the yoga pro 2 and the think pad yoga? The latter comes in 8gb and is available on Newegg.

The Yoga 2 Pro definitely wins out against any ultrabook I've seen or considered. I'm pretty baffled about Lenovo removing the 8GB RAM option from their website, but if you see it back there or for around $1200 in any stores, I would absolutely recommend it. Easily worth the money. Not worth $1800 though

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Vegetable posted:

Two questions about the Yoga 2 Pro:

1) Is the yellow issue resolved one way or another? Literally all I need is to watch movies. If I can set the laptop to some battery-killing mode and get actual yellow I'm fine with it.

2) How lovely is 4GB RAM? They doubt they're gonna get stock on the 8 GB models anytime soon. I mostly just watch high-res TV and movies, surf on Chrome and edit some pictures on Photoshop. Nothing intensive. But if 8 GB is a noticeable boost I really don't want to be stuck with 4 GB.

1) Yup, yellow problem is fixed.

2) 4 GB isn't horrible, but the Yoga 2 Pro pricing was such that it was an easy choice to upgrade to 8 GB/256 GB for $200 or less. If you're not doing anything intensive, 4 should be fine. Photoshop could be considered intensive, though, I'm not sure about it in particular. On my previous 4 GB RAM/ultra low voltage cpu laptop, using another graphic editing program and streaming music and running some statistical software usually would start to cause some stuttering or freezing. I assume that was primarily a RAM issue, though I'm not positive.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Hadlock posted:

Is the "fix" fixed? I heard it reset after you put it to sleep

I open and close my laptop normally and haven't noticed the puke yellow since a few updates awhile back (BIOS, I think, and the Lenovo power manager software). Here's Lenovo's writeup about the fixes.

E: Actually, one thing that still bothered me was I turned off adaptive brightness/autobrightness in like 2 or 3 places, but still had the screen brightness adjusting when I was on battery. Turns out you have to disable it in one more place, in the Intel graphics options, for it to stick.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 22, 2013

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Vegetable posted:

My problem with the Surface Pro 2 is the screen size. It's so small that I don't think you're approximating "full laptop power" with that at all. The Yoga 2 Pro is really light without compromising screen size.

For those who own it, I do want to ask whether the non-laptop viewing modes are any useful. I'm thinking of using the tent mode to watch movies and the stand mode for video conferencing.

I've only ever used it as a laptop or fully folded as a tablet. The thing about the other two "modes" is they're not doing anything that a laptop couldn't do, they just put the screen a little closer to you.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Vinlaen posted:

Darn. Thanks. Any idea how it compares to the MacBook Air screen?

Are there any IPS-screen laptops around 13" ?

Basically I'd love a MacBook Air with an IPS screen. The MacBook Pro Retina is pretty fantastic but scaling the resolution (for games and such) doesn't look as good as native resolution on an IPS panel

(Lenovo Y410 is on sale for $799.00 which is apparently $570 off the normal price for today only?)

There are some and more all the time. Most higher end ultrabooks have IPS: last gen Zenbook Prime, Dell XPS 12 and XPS 13, Yoga 2 Pro, Yoga 11s, Samsung Ativ Book 9+, etc.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

LogicNinja posted:

I've been waiting for the Yoga 2 Pro i7/8gb ram version to become available again, and I'm having second thoughts. I don't see myself having that much use for a tablet that a laptop won't fill, and my next phone is going to be one of those huge ones that I should be able to use as an e-reader. There will be more than a few games out I'll want to play, it looks like.

The Acer Aspire S7 seemed like a decent choice, but I've been reading bad things about its cooling and keyboard. The Gigabyte P34G is also looking pretty decent.

If you want to play games, something like the Y410p would be a better fit. But if you just want an ultrabook, the Yoga 2 Pro is probably the best option, especially with how cheap the 8/256 model is, $1150-1200, compared to its high end competitors. Macbook Air with i7/8/256 is $1550, Samsung Ativ Book 9+ is $1400 with i5/4/128, Asus Zenbook UX301 looks like it is $1600 for i5/8/256.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

VulgarandStupid posted:

I grabbed that as well, on Saturday. It has better battery life than the yoga, a "worse" screen and is $200 cheaper. I don't really need a laptop with a higher resolution than my 27" monitor, which I already think is too high at 2560x1440.

Scaling works fine in most cases. I doubt you'll be using a 1920x1080 12.5" screen with no scaling, right? But yeah, definitely a good deal and I've only reqd good things about the XPS 12.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

A lower resolution screen isn't really a negative. Not when it's 1080p vs. the badly supported resolutions the Yoga 2, Ativ etc. use.

Unless you're going to use unscaled 1080p on a 12.5" display, they'll both be scaled, but the 1080p doesn't have the option of 2x scaling or simply setting the resolution to a nice integer like 1600x900. Like I said, I think the XPS12 looks great, but not because the display is a bit worse than the higher resolution ones. Just curious about your reasoning here.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

That's a bit much to pay for a Zenbook that's a generation old, though the laptop itself is one of the best last generation ultrabooks. I don't really have a better suggestion for you, maybe one of the new 14" Thinkpads would be decent. There also might be an Acer (V7? Not sure) that has gotten decent reviews and would be under $800. You're basically paying a premium for the display with the Zenbook, also, so if she'll use it with the monitor often you can go for something with a Haswell and a poorer display.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Hawzy posted:

I'm annoyed that the Yoga Pro 2 8GB models are only available through bestbuy, you cannot get them through lenovo.com. Also they are not upgradeable. Also Best Buy is entirely sold out of them with no ETA.

A month ago you could order them through Lenovo. I imagine when stock gets back in, you will be able to again.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

$1189 for i5/8/256 is still a very good price. I wouldn't hesitate to go for that if you've been waiting on one.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

yoyomama posted:

Oh, these are back in stock? I may just decide on this instead. I hear the keyboard is REALLY good, and the screen as well. I'm a little worried about the weight of it, but 3.3 lbs isn't too bad, and it can still fit in a (large) purse at least. I really love the idea of the surface pro, but the xps 12 would come out cheaper after buying the (horrible) surface keyboard, prob have better resale value, and I already have a Wacom tablet.

Looks out of stock to me.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Faster posted:

I keep going back and forth between these two, anyone have any feedback?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EPGHEQS...=I1BIDBAYE1RSN6

vs.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D4AX780...d=ITRUR39AXOBYC

I wanted THE BEST ultrabook between $1300-$1900. The Acer seems like the best fit for me but it's also getting some questionable reviews on its build. While the Asus looks like a beast but there aren't a lot of reviews for it and it's pricier.

I didn't even consider the new Samsung one's since they look mediocre and are getting mediocre reviews (I don't care about their insane resolution screens).

I want an ultrabook to be my laptop/computer/whatever for the next few years. I want to connect it VGA style to my external monitor. I want a non-Macbook.

What do you guys think? Acer or Asus?

Yoga 2 Pro is back in stock at Best Buy, where $1200 gets you i7/8/256. For the price relative to those other two, it's a pretty easy decision (I think!).

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Ragehaver posted:

This looks really hard to beat. Are there any downsides? Flimsy? I read the high resolution screen can cause some compatibility issues, but I can live with that. I looked for one at a local store but none were on display to try out.

It doesn't seem flimsy, no. No flex to the keyboard at all. There are some dpi scaling issues. The main one I've run into was mentioned by someone earlier: full screen video sometimes only wants to take up one quarter of the screen. Not sure why some sites have the issue and some don't. It's a pretty simple fix if you're watching something long like a movie, just turn off scaling and watch the movie, but it would be pretty obnoxious if you're watching short clips and browsing in between. Otherwise, some programs are not updated yet for high resolution (Matlab) and some have relatively hard to find toggles to switch (Chrome), but nothing too bad that I've experienced. The only other things that bugged me initially were the smaller right shift key, which I've gotten used to, and the odd home/end/page up/page down arrangement, which I haven't really gotten used to but don't use too frequently anyways.

Besides those issues, everything else has been fantastic. Screen is really good. Keyboard is great, minor layout issues aside. Trackpad has been smooth and good. I previously had a Zenbook, and the soft texture of the keyboard and lack of a sharp edge where your wrists rest are much much nicer than the hard aluminum.

Vegetable posted:

Did this run out of stock within a single day? God damnit.

Hah, I guess so! It showed in stock and shipping in 1 day when I posted, plus maybe 5 out of 10 of the nearby stores for me had it available. Now none of the local stores have it.

Ragehaver posted:

Oh poo poo I thought because the buy button was still there, it was available. Just realized you have to do store pickup and it's unavailable

edit: same price with coupon here (Estimated ship date: 1/16/14), but I've heard less than stellar things about ordering things directly from Lenovo.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptop...-pro/#customize

Lenovo seems to still only offer 4GB ram, which is a bit meh. I originally had an order through them for the i5/8/256 they offered in October, but they kept pushing the date back. Once it hit longer than a month past the original estimated ship date, Best Buy got them in stock, so it was an easy choice then.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Faster posted:

gently caress it, I pulled the trigger and bought the Yoga 2 despite complaints I've read about the resolution, the way it displays the color yellow, and its lovely Wifi dropouts. Seems like the good reviews outweighed the bad. Does anyone know how I can connect this to an external display that only uses VGA? The Yoga 2 only has HDMI and USB ports so not sure how to connect that to a VGA-only display.

Adapters are super cheap, like this one. I bought it and it came much more quickly than they estimated, but uhh, I should probably test it because it's pretty clearly cheap and semi-disposable.