Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

CancerStick posted:

I have had my Yoga 2 Pro (8Gb, 256gb version) for a couple days now and really liking it so far, but I do have a couple small questions for those who have one as well.

1. I turned off auto brightness in the windows settings. Is there a chance there is another setting overriding that somewhere? It's not too jarring and maybe I am imagining it, but I swear my brightness is making slight adjustments that I am finding annoying. Am I missing something?

Try one more location: right click the desktop, select Intel graphics properties, select the on battery tab, and uncheck "display power saving technology."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

CancerStick posted:

Yoga 2 Pro

I was doing the Resolution/DPI dance to try and and find what I wanted. Came across something that I can't figure out. Anytime I drop the DPI to below 200% my touchpad two finger scroll goes crazy. Example: When I try to two finger scroll down a webpage the cursor disappears when I apply two fingers, and a narrowing (or is it widening?) box appears temporarily as if to show where there was touch input maybe? If I try to continuously two finger swipe down a page sometimes that box that appears to be touch input shows up over the toolbar of Chrome and so it won't swipe down as if it thinks I am clicking something off the page. Not sure if this makes any sense.

Check your touchpad drivers and settings and Chrome settings. Could you be accidentally doing the zoom pinch gesture rather than two finger scrolling? I haven't had a problem like what I think you're describing, either with or without DPI scaling.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Srebrenica Surprise posted:

The high dpi settings in Chrome are totally broken right now, unfortunately. Firefox works OK but gently caress Firefox.

I had some issues before, like the options for extensions would be a weird blank box. However, disabling the touch-centric stuff, and leaving only hi-dpi enabled, has seemed to fix everything.

E: To be more helpful, I explicitly disabled enable touch events, touch optimized UI, enable pinch scale, enable touch initiated drag and drop. I explicitly enabled just hiDPI support, then left everything else at default. Works great now!

sourdough fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 25, 2014

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Vegetable posted:

I've been using my Yoga 2 Pro a ton as a PDF reader. Flip it around, turn it vertical and scroll with your finger. You won't guess how many people have literally said to me, "I wanna do that poo poo." I've used it as a recipe viewer in the tent mode as well. It's a little too heavy as a movie viewer but these modes really make the touchscreen worthwhile.

e: Also classicshell or some variant of it, yes. gently caress Metro.

Yup, I don't know what kind of PDFs you're reading, but it owns for reading dense science stuff.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

dissss posted:

I have to respectfully disagree - there is no scenario I've come across where reaching up to the screen I'd easier than just using the keyboard/trackpad.

Windows 8 does not change anything in this regard as absolutely none of the 'modern' UI stuff is worth using - everything has a superior desktop or desktop web app.

Fold your laptop into tablet mode to read or watch a movie and the touchscreen comes in handy!

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

dissss posted:

Without derailing too much further why?

If you're watching a movie why would you want to touch the screen (or any controls at all for that matter)?

Same thing with a book, the only control you need is next page and the form factor is far more important than what that control is (and every touchscreen laptop or convertible fails miserably as a reading device by being too big/bulky)

If you have folded away the keyboard or detached the screen or however your particular convertible works, how would you turn pages without a touchscreen? How would you pause the movie to go make some popcorn? That was literally all I was saying

As for being too bulky to read, not really. I don't use it as an e-reader, but for big or detailed or technical stuff, the bigger screen is handy. Just prop it up in your lap or next to you, it works really well. It's heavier than a 10" tablet of course, but I didn't find holding up a large tablet to be comfortable for long either and would just prop it up the same as I do with the laptop.

I overwhelmingly use the Yoga 2 Pro like a normal laptop and typically don't use the touchscreen when I'm doing that. But I do use the somewhat gimmicky tablet form sometimes and it can be convenient.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

He doesn't want to be arsed with installing Windows on it and all the bootup/driver fuckery that comes with it. Why wouldn't a Windows laptop with the same processor be able to have similar battery life?

I think he's specifically saying putting Windows on a Macbook Pro will give you much worse battery life than if you used OSX on it. But it's also true that each Macbook gets much better battery life than similar Windows laptops.

Engadget numbers from Retina Macbook Pro 13" review:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

Thanks, it looks like with the i7, 9 cells worth of front and back battery, 8gb ram, a 512gb SSD, it falls at $1907 which should be perfect.

Edit: Uhg, he says 14 inch is actually too big for him (he's a tiny Asian to be fair) and the 13"-inch MacBook retina would be ideal but he doesn't want Bootcamp or to have a laptop that everyone else in the lab has.

He says he's leaning towards the Acer Aspire S7-392-6411 which seems good to me except for the weird dual 64gb SSD setup.

Eh, if that Acer is good enough for him, have him check a Yoga 2 Pro. For $1200, you get an i7/8GB RAM/256GB SSD, in stock right now at bestbuy.com.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

FYI, Yoga 2 Pro scratch and dent or refurbished i5/4/128 available from Lenovo Outlet for ~$700, just filter by resolution of 3200x1800. A few higher configured models available for ~$900 too. Not sure if this is worth posting here, but it seems like there's some interest. At the very least, it's nice to know they're starting to hit the outlet store.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

tesilential posted:

That's why I thought they might be hiding something with the Y2P. At all 3 best buys, literally EVERY other laptop (windows/mac) and desktop (windows/mac) had internet connection but the Y2Ps did not.

There's nothing to hide about the Yoga 2 Pro's display when it comes to internet. IE and Firefox by default have really good scaling, while Chrome is decent with the right configuration.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Calidus posted:

Anyone know how well Visual Studio functions on a 3200x1800 screen of the Yoga 2 Pro?

I can check in a couple hours if no one gets to it before then. I assume you mean if it handles scaling well?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Calidus posted:

Anyone know how well Visual Studio functions on a 3200x1800 screen of the Yoga 2 Pro?

Yeah, it looks great at 200% scaling and 3200x1800. Crystal clear text.

You didn't ask, but Matlab is the only program I've used so far that is really bad. Some have slightly mis-sized icons or things like that, but Matlab doesn't even scale the text correctly so it looks like total garbage

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Genocyber posted:

I am completely serious. I do not at all understand why people seem to think that's bad.

Can you take a screen shot of reading this thread and post it?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Genocyber posted:

What, you mean with a program like irfanview or a camera? The latter isn't an option since I don't have a good quality camera.

Print screen, open paint, paste, save, upload to imgur, post here. I'm just curious what browsing text-heavy websites looks like on a 17" with 1366x768.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Flipperwaldt posted:

...exactly the same as on a 11" screen at 1366x768?

In a screenshot anyway.

Haha gently caress. Yeah, oh well. My wife has a 11" laptop with that resolution and it isn't the worst, but the lack of vertical space really kills me when I try to use it. I end up having to full screen everything.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Genocyber posted:

My screen's quality is good as far as I can tell. There's nothing weird with the colors. I assume viewing angles means if you look at it at odd angles the colors will distort? Cause the screen doesn't have that either.

Well, I know this isn't true, unless you somehow found a 17" IPS 1366x768 display (I really really doubt those exist?!). Whether you're a resolution snob or not, IPS is a really solid upgrade.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Honey Badger posted:

I admit I'm a bit concerned about not having Microsoft Word, I've been using it for basically my whole life and I have no idea how Google's suite compares in that regard.

Also I think the new office.com will work on a Chromebook. I haven't read much about the disadvantages of it relative to offline Office, but from playing around with it for a second, it looks pretty good.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Office.com is free, too! Here is a Microsoft blog post talking a little about it. E: I can't actually figure out if Office Online is gimped relative to Office/Office 365 if all you need is Word, Excel, and Powerpoint.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 3, 2014

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

mfny posted:

Would be wary about refurb and very unsure indeed of scratch and dent. I am pretty fussy ill admit about the condition of things, particularly anything with a screen. That being said it would depend also on the cost saving weighed with the condition of a particular item I guess.

mfny posted:

Im talking £500, not dollars. And I have found there is huge variation on the budget notebooks with build quality at least as far as reviews go from really pretty good to will fall apart if you look at it wrong so it doesn't seem like all the same poo poo to me imho.

As far as I know, typically you guys get screwed and $price = £price when it comes to computers. For that amount of money, you're not going to get something built much better than anything else at the price. If you want to get something better quality, you're going to need to look at something like refurb or used or scratch and dent. Something has to give, whether your budget or laptop quality or your insistence on buying new.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

ColoradoCleric posted:

I checked wirecutter but from their recommendations I'm not trying to spend 1,200 or get something with a touchscreen

I had narrowed down my choice to these two.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16834231455
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16834231521

Am I correct in thinking that between the two the main difference is just going to be the battery life of the x550lb vs the nicer screen and more powerful processor of the r510dp?

edit: I do plan on doing a lot of excel so maybe the 1080 screen would be better?

Did you really check wirecutter? http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-budget-laptop/

No, you shouldn't buy a budget 15.6" laptop with a 1366x768 screen or a budget laptop with an AMD processor.

E: Or if you insist on a big laptop with a terrible resolution and bad battery life, don't spend $650+ for it. Here's the Acer mentioned as a not ideal but not terrible choice in that space for $480.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Mar 11, 2014

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

I believe the Windows tablet thread has some people's reviews on the Asus T100, though they were probably a couple weeks back.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

mfny posted:

I have worked out what id like CPU/iGPU wise and that would be Haswell M w/ HD 4600

This has narrowed the field significantly.. prehaps to much so as my choices are as follows:

Toshiba Satellite C55
Lenovo G510

Boath of these options are not all that apealing for various reasons so any other options I may have missed at/under £500 ? or am I stuck with these ?

Where do you see a Satellite C55 with a i5-4xxx?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

mfny posted:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-Sat.../dp/B00G4CBEI0/
Here. Also its out of stock at Amazon now, crap.

There is also an i3 4000M with 8GB/1TB instead of the 4GB/750GB of the 4200M, 100mhz less on the i3 cpu and gpu wise and no turboboost though. but worth it in exchange for double the memory and a bit more HD ?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-Sat.../dp/B00HRUSSG4/

C55 seems to be good value, but I have some misgivings about build/fit and finish and portability of it, same with the Lenovo G510 as well

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-G510.../dp/B00H525N4Y/

If Acer did an Aspire E1 with the 4200M that would be nice, but they dont..

Ah, weird, I couldn't find it on either amazon.com or Toshiba's website. As for build/fit and finish/portability, you're looking at 15.6" laptops that are under £500, as everyone has said it will be pretty uniformly terrible. If you're going to be disappointed by poor build quality and finish, you need to get a bigger budget!

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

mfny posted:

http://www.ebuyer.com/615243-hp-pro...top-f1n78es-abu

Haswell M, decent dedicated graphics with 2GB VRAM, and seemingly judging from notebookcheck above average build quality for a budget notebook and as a bonus a touchscreen. For under 500, whats the catch I wonder ?

The screen will be terrible like all the others you're been looking at, but it sounds like the keyboard and touchpad are not bad. Might be your best bet.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Tom Guycot posted:

Is there anyone here with a yoga 2 pro who could give me an idea on if that crazy high resolution is worth it, or a detriment to its usability? I'm still looking to get one for my sister in law, but I almost wonder if the slightly thicker yoga 2 non pro with a 1080p screen wouldn't actually be more usable.

It depends, honestly. For reading text, it is fantastic. Noticeably crisper, great brightness and colors, just everything solid. The downsides are occasional programs that have weird problems with scaling. I haven't run into too many of them, but even for programs that scale fine, often the installer will be tiny or have weird elements. If she will have to use a lot of older or obscure programs, I'd try to check beforehand how they scale. If it will primarily be internet/email/video, the display is a big positive, IMO. The only other drawback is 3200x1800 with 200% scaling gets you 1600x900 of space, whereas if it isn't too small for your eyes, 1920x1080 is obviously a little handier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

lostleaf posted:

I had the yoga 2 pro for about a week before I returned it. It was a pretty good machine but the one I had which was produced in September still had that yellow tint issue. Once I saw it, I obsessed about it. I actual like the keyboard and the trackpad. You can easily uninstall the junk that comes with it. The i7 version was very smooth and didnt notice any lag. Would have been a keeper if not for the tint issue.

The tint should be totally fixed in software now, afaik by decreasing total brightness and boosting red and blue. You might have uninstalled the Lenovo utility that does this, though. I think it is the power manager/profile thing.