Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I want a laptop for web design and development. I don't care if it doesn't have the latest 1XXX video card in it, but a 15" screen and a touch screen would be nice. I'd need something with a high resolution because I want to be looking at similar resolutions to a desktop. Is there a good one in the $500-600 range? The OP is good but I want recommendations for web work specifically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the advice! I'm willing to pay a bit more if nothing that fits my specs is also in that price range. It is a tax write-off, after all.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
What's the go-to for a laptop for web design these days? I don't care about it running any modern games, I just need:

An IPS display and good resolution so I have plenty of workspace. A 14" or 15" display.

Something fairly lightweight. I won't be travelling with it too much, but still.

Good battery life.

A cheaper-end video card. I don't care about playing any modern games, but I might hook it up with a second monitor sometimes and I'll probably use it as a Netflix machine occasionally.

Something around the $500 mark is what I'm aiming for, though I'm willing to go a little higher for quality and longevity.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Eletriarnation posted:

e: ^^ Yeah, the X1 Carbon is quite nice. I got the Skylake model as a work machine and pretty much my only complaint is that the 1440p display is almost unreadable when remoting into Windows 7 VMs that don't scale correctly.

You don't need a discrete graphics card of any sort for Netflix or multiple screens, iGPUs for a few generations now have supported 3 screens (assuming enough outputs are provided) and hardware decoding. With that budget I would probably look at business laptops a generation back like Thinkpad T440/450 or Latitude E7440/7450. You could get a consumer machine a bit newer, but I think you may lose out in durability and weight more than you gain.

Oh, good to know. What if I went up to $700ish? There's a MicroCenter relatively close to me if they have any deals.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I went to Best Buy to check out laptops, because it's the only place within an hour of me that has laptops on display to play with. I fell in love with the Dell XPS 13. Lightweight, keyboard layout was great, screen and resolution was fantastic, etc. I tried out a bunch of other laptops including the Inspiron, HP Spectre, and Lenovo Yoga and was disappointed one way or another, mostly with the keyboards.

My only concern is with doing web design on a 13.3" screen, but I browsed a bit including my own sites and it was fine. I guess resolution matters much more than screen size?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Looking at NotebookCheck's list of best displays I'm seeing why designers like MacBooks. RGB accuracy is pretty important for web design work, but I'd rather stick to PC.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I decided on a Yoga 720 15.6" with a 1050. It's the perfect price point at just under $1k, great touch screen, etc. Lenovo says it ships in 10-12 days, which is unfortunate, because I'm impatient. I can't find anywhere to get it faster unless I want one with Intel 630 integrated graphics or straight from Best Buy, who only offers a 4K display. I'd pay $200 extra for the 4K screen and to get it now, but there's some display issue on a large amount of them that causes a black line to appear at the top of the screen. It seems to be so bad that Lenovo pulled the 4K option from their web store.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I got my Yoga 720 and I love it. I've always wanted a laptop I could draw on, and the dedicated graphics card seems to really help with being able to draw smoothly. I had a few annoying issues with BSODs until I updated some drivers.

I had one issue today where I used the laptop for about an hour while it was charging, and then packed it up and put it in the case. I came back to it about four hours later and noticed that the fans were blowing on high and the computer was really hot to the touch. It wouldn't turn on, but once I held the power button down it booted up. And once I started using it, the computer cooled down immensely and the fans went back to their usual quiet state. Is this something I should be concerned about? I just changed the power options when the lid is closed from sleep to hibernate to see if that stops it from happening again. Sorry if this belongs in Haus of Tech Support.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I would avoid the *40 series in general, every model in that range has a hosed up trackpad and no physical buttons for the trackpoint. they're very, very irritating to use. You can find a t450 or t450s for $400 easy.

Bob Morales posted:

Check out the Dell 7450 if you want a nice 1080p 14" laptop

Both the t450(s?) and the 7450 look nice for what I'm about to ask. My girlfriend has had rotten luck with laptops, and I want to get her something nice for her birthday. Right now she's using a very terrible old Dell laptop for minor things, and a shoddy ThinkPad T430 as a glorified Skype machine. I want to get her something she can use for web browsing, printing, Netflix watching, and light photo editing. For the latter, she's really into scrapbooking and similar crafts, and is constantly frustrated that her current Dell can't handle the simplest tasks. I love my Yoga 720, so I'll probably go with the T450s. Is there anything I should look out for in a refurb?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Don't get a thinkpad (other than a recent X1 series) for any photo or video editing if you need color accuracy, especially if you want to match print.

What would you recommend then in the $400-500 range? Even if refurbished.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Am I crazy or do the Lenovo B&N Gold and Corporate Perks links work, but not give any discount? Or maybe I'm not looking at the right products? I thought I remembered better deals, but when I opened up the Lenovo shop in an incognito browser the prices were the same as the B&N Gold/Corporate Perks.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Dell XPS 13 9360 here with these specs for $750:

Intel Core i5-8250U Processor 1.6GHz
Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit
8GB LPDDR3-1866 RAM
128GB Solid State Drive
Intel HD Graphics 620
SD Card Reader
2x2 Killer 1535 802.11ac Wireless
Bluetooth 4.1
13.3" Full HD InfinityEdge Touchscreen Display

Is that a good deal?

Edit: We raised our budget to $700. Looking for something with a good screen for light photo editing, Netflix, Skype, etc. Hopefully this opens up things since we're not looking in the $400-500 range anymore.

LifeLynx fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Mar 1, 2018

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I start a new web design job on Monday, and they just gave me these three options for a work laptop. I'm happy with either Mac or Windows, and my primary concerns are:

- Great color accuracy (sRGB and Adobe RGB)
- Screen that won't give me eye strain (no flickering to control dimming or whatever)
- Little/no IPS light bleed
- High contrast screen
- Comfortable keyboard for coding
- Battery life/portability is nice

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/macbook-pro-13-3-laptop-apple-m2-chip-8gb-memory-256gb-ssd-latest-model-space-gray/6509652.p?skuId=6509652

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-envy-17-3-laptop-intel-core-i7-12gb-memory-512gb-ssd-natural-silver/6502186.p?skuId=6502186

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo...p?skuId=6502220

I'm leaning towards the Yoga 7i because I have an older Yoga and I like it, but the Macbook looks more portable and retina screens are unbelievably good (last I heard). I think the Yoga 7i only has a 60hz refresh rate, and I can't find anything about the contrast, but I don't know where to look and it's too new to have many reviews. Most I find are of the older 2021 model that was 1920x1080. I haven't thought about buying a laptop in maybe 5 years, and I was hoping to have this information earlier than today, so I appreciate any help making a decision.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Lockback posted:

I'd do the macbook pro in a heartbeat as long as your company doesn't have any issues with the M2 chip. 8GB might be an issue depending on what you need to compile. The Yoga is far better than the Envy if you want the bigger screen and more RAM.

You can't get a 16GB MBP? Or even one of the 16" ones if you want a bigger screen?

What's wrong with the M2 chip? I'll mostly be compiling small websites, but I agree 8GB is the one thing holding me back.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

Just a matter of if you will have tools in your toolset that won't run on Apple silicon because there's still quite a few things that have issues with it.

Is there a list anywhere? An M1 would be better I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
The more I read about the Mac, the more I'm drifting towards the Yoga. Barebones 8gb probably won't cut it, and I don't want to run into a problem where I can't run something I haven't even thought of yet. Literally the only plus is the retina display with massively better contrast and refresh rate.