Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

"Mr. Roark, we're alone here. Why don't you tell me what you think of me? In any words you wish. No one will hear us."
"But I don't think of you."
Anybody have any experience with the Acer Chromebook c7 mentioned earlier? My wife and I share a laptop right now and it'd be great if I could get her something to watch online videos. She would never need it for work or anything. 130 seems to be a great price, but only a 90 day warranty... that's worrying. I don't want to have to deal with some of the bull I've had with my nearly two year old Toshiba satellite ld-755-s218, where I've had to replace the battery, charger, keyboard, and the left click button doesn't work. So, durability from a chromebook?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

"Mr. Roark, we're alone here. Why don't you tell me what you think of me? In any words you wish. No one will hear us."

Hadlock posted:

Jumping on the Aitv bandwagon here

Sadly, it's got a 3rd generation i5 processor for some reason.

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

Their website says 4th generation but here it says 3rd generation http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DVFMDN8/ref=cm_sw_r_an_am_at_ws_us?ie=UTF8

Edit: it appears that the product description for the processor says 3rd generation but the spec list has the 4th generation Somebody in marketing needs to get fired haha

Socrates16 fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Aug 24, 2013

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

So, a buddy of mine has a five year old Inspirion 1525 that he's willing to sell to me for 150 bucks. I'd have to get a replacement battery but everything else is stock. Should I be worried about any issues of failure? The amazon reviews are comically bad: http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron...nDateDescending but he's a heavy user and the only shot part of the computer is the battery, which is to be expected at this point. It would be a wife computer for watching videos and facebook only.

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

The processor on my buddy's computer is twice as fast as the C7's, it can game a lot better, it has 4 gigs of ram rather than 2, the screen is 3 inches bigger and the resolution is higher at 1600x900.

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

I shouldn't have put that last bit in their about the wife. I may use it from time to time. How the eff are you supposed to judge processor speeds if not by ghz?

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

Thanks guys. I should have jumped on the acer when it was on sale for 130. I really just need a stop-gap until I can justify getting a nice laptop a year or so from now. The problem I had with the c7 is that the cnet review said it didn't play video smoothly, I guess because the processor is so slow. Anyone know otherwise?

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

My Toshiba L755d-s5218 was about 500 and has deteriorated pretty quickly. At about a year and ten months, I've had to replace the battery, charger(twice, but the second one was from an off-brand), keyboard, and the left click button no longer works, so I usually have to use a mouse. I wasn't into tech when I bought it, and it really pisses me off that I'm stuck with this POS. As much as I try to justify a new laptop, I just can't for less than two years with this one, considering it still works for the most part. The next one I buy drat sure needs to be durable, because I freaking hate dealing with the hassle. I think after the 3 year mark I'll feel better about buying a new one.

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

Any word on the durability of Toshiba's more expensive laptops? I spec'd out a Qosmio to 1,200, and the bang for the buck is pretty awesome http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/cdetland.to?poid=2000098978&src=EXPL&cm_mmc=explore-_-bto_page-_-qosmio-_-X70 My current 500 dollar toshiba has deteriorated too quickly in a year and ten months.

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

BabyRyoga posted:

Got my Lenovo y510p and put the SSD in to replace the stock 1TB HDD. Windows 8 boots up in literally 2-3 seconds. Pretty ridiculous, I have a bit of buyer's remorse for buying a new to the market chipset laptop, but this machine seems like it will be pretty solid for a while.

What's the issue with buying a new to the market chipset laptop? I'm liking the y510p more and more the more I look at it. Is the battery replaceable? Why did you buy it and then swap out the hard drive rather than just adding on the SSD when you bought the laptop? How's the screen quality? Laptop reviews love not mentioning the screen quality. Yeah, I can look at the numbers on a spec sheet, but that doesn't tell me anything about the color accuracy, or the contrast ratio, black levels, etc. What'd you pay and where'd you get it from? Sorry for so many questions haha.

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

BabyRyoga, one more question, how are the built in speakers? I walk away from my laptop a lot/ have a fan running and would still like to be able to hear the sound.

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

Oh, and is the battery sealed in?

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

Hadlock posted:

Indeed, buy one of these and plug your stereo in to it. Has about a 25' line of sight range (once you pull out the useless metal weight) and ~15' range through most furniture. Most laptops worth buying these days have BT as an option. Not bad for $20, I've certainly gotten my use out of it so far. Works with phones, etc too.

I don't want to have to switch the sound input from my laptop speakers to my stereo ones. The sound doesn't have to be good. It just has to be loud.

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

Back after a couple of weeks, sad to see everybody crushed by the new Thinkpads, although that was never going to be the laptop for me.

The wife told me today that she wants to get a second laptop, as I'm on the one we have constantly. She'll take this one. I bought it before I got into technology and displays and whatnot, thus it's a POS 500 dollar Toshiba L755D-S5218, and in two years has basically fallen apart. I've thought about it a lot and the main things I want out of a laptop are:

1. The best looking screen possible. I am a display freak. The most important thing to me is a great display. This doesn't necessarily mean I want one of those "high res", aka above 1080P displays, because the reason I want the great display is because I watch most of my media on my laptop, and 99% of media isn't above 1080P. So contrast ratios, black levels, and color accuracy are of the most importance, as it is with televisions. Sadly, laptop reviews love not talking about these things, which mystifies me.

2. Durability. After dealing with so much bullshit from my current laptop, I want something tough. I'm clumsy, and I knock over my expensive stuff all the time.

3. Gaming ability. I don't need top tier gaming performance, but I would like a laptop that can play modern games at medium/high settings.

4. Speakers. It was suggested to me to hook up my laptop to my home theater speakers. I don't want the hassle. I want to be able to hear my speakers as I do dishes and whatnot.

5. SSD. I could always buy one of these and pop it in later, but if the laptop has it already that's a plus.

I'm leaning towards the y510P. It seems to fit my needs. Any word on the screen quality? Other suggestions? I was also thinking about the Qosmio, but am wary because of the crap quality of my current Toshiba. http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/y-series/y510p/ http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/cdetland.to?poid=2000098978&src=EXPL&cm_mmc=explore-_-bto_page-_-qosmio-_-X70

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

First of all, thank you so much QuarkJets. This is exactly what I was going to ask for next. Second, per your instructions, if I have a windows 8 disk, do I need to put the disk data on a usb stick? In the first part quoted below you seem to imply yes, but in the second you imply no. I'd rather not go through the hassle if I don't have to.

QuarkJets posted:

2) A Windows 8 DVD or ISO file (it's okay if you just torrent this; you own a Windows 8 license, downloading software that you own a license to is legal, free and clear). The Y410p comes with the core version of Windows 8, so if you try to install Pro or some other version then it won't work. The key is embedded into the BIOS, you don't need to try to retrieve it

Creating a bootable Windows 8 USB stick

This is incredibly easy. Are you ready?

1) Get a USB stick. It'll need to be at least a 4GB stick (which means ~ 3.5GB effectively)
2) Reformat it as FAT32. Right click on Computer --> Manage --> Disk Management --> right click on your USB drive --> Format --> Select FAT32
3) Mount your Windows 8 ISO. If you have a DVD, then this is as simple as inserting it into your DVD drive. If you have an ISO file, then you can Mount ISO files directly by right clicking on them and selecting Mount. If this option is missing for some reason, then right click on the ISO file, select Open With, and select Windows Explorer. Now the Mount option should appear
4) Copy all of the files from your mounted device to the USB stick.

2) Either insert your Windows 8 DVD or USB stick. Reboot.

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

So, I popped into Bestbuy today, and FYI it's about 50/50 Haswell to Ivy Bridge. Anywho, I tested out a bunch of screens and they're all awful. Getting paranoid about getting the y510p. Do all laptop screens suck in comparison to HDTV's and smartphones?

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

One more question on the y510p. Yay or nay on the dual graphics cards? I can save 200 bucks(more with tax) if I go without it. I remember 20 pages ago or so that any gaming done for more than a few minutes makes the thing throttle anyway.

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

Well, I ordered the y510P. Ended up going for the single GPU. Lenovo's return policy is pretty solid. I have 30 days to return it, so I figure I'll take a look at the screen myself to see if I like it. Thanks for the help folks, and I'll be updating from time to time my thoughts on the laptop.

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

Sinz posted:

S I got a Y510P from the outlet, refurbished for ~$700... a few days later they put up a new Y510P for $600 on the outlet... I'd contact Lenovo for a price adjustment, if that's even possible with the outlet, but the charge on my card disappeared and still hasn't come back yet... Any input?

Is that for a 1366 by 768 version? I just dropped 929 on a full HD one using the Barnes and Noble link.

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

Hillridge posted:

Just as I was settling on the t530 I took a look at the Y510p (59370005 model) and for less money you get the same 1080p screen, twice the ram, a better video card, and a few other upgrades.

Is the downside to the Y series over the T a less solid build and lowered battery life?

I bought literally the exact same model you're looking at yesterday. It ships next Monday. If you're willing to wait a bit, I'll post a review in the thread. I'm very sensitive to screen quality, so that will be my focus. Regardless, there's 30 day return period with no restocking fee and they will give you the return label, so there's 0 risk to trying it out.

Hillridge posted:

Yeah it looks pretty nice. Right now the only two things holding me back are that it is listed as a 3-4 week wait, and I have to get it with Windows 8 when I'd rather have 7.

Just download classic shell: http://www.classicshell.net/ or start8: http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

Classic shell is free and Start8 is 5 bucks. It allows you to boot to desktop and you'll also have the start button. Basically it'll look and feel exactly like Windows 7.

Socrates16 fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 23, 2013

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

arisu posted:

drat man that's good. My y410p averages around 3 and a half hours on battery at 70% brightness, just for internet browsing. This is plenty enough for me as I never need more than about 2 hours of battery life, but for some people it's not good enough.

I don't understand why I can't get a 12 cell battery for my y510P. I'd pay a premium for doubled battery life.

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

Hillridge posted:

With a no loss return policy like that I figured what the hell and just pulled the trigger on the Y510p. If I hate it, I'll return it and try again. Hopefully the 3-4 week lead time is wrong and it ships in a week or so because we have more people than PCs at work now and I need to hand down my current laptop.

Will the stock setup of a 1TB slow rear end drive and a 24GB SSD be snappy if I keep my most used stuff on the SSD, or should I replace the 1TB with another SSD?

The SSD is set up so it only works with boot up. You don't have the option to move files on it. There's an amazing guide of how to install an SSD on it a couple of pages back. Also, they immediately moved my ship date up a week, so I think they're just covering their asses with the far away date.

Socrates16 fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 23, 2013

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

P.N.T.M. posted:

So for laptops, is Win8 preferable to 7?

Is it still advised to get Win8 on a non-touch model?

What about the 4GB 1333Mhz X1s? Those should run like poo poo under strain, right?

Like I said above, just download classic shell or start 8 and all the UI issues from windows 8 are gone. It will look just like windows 7.

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

shrughes posted:

IBM Z380 spotted:

Tried to google it. How old is that sucker? I'm guessing 2000?

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

bull3964 posted:

I understand it's a cheap laptop compared to it's specs, but the newer generation of IPS stuff is also really cheap. I mean, you can pick up an S2240M for around $150 or less now depending on sales and it's a beautiful IPS panel. It's just a puzzling decision, I would rather the upgraded display option cost 50% more and gave better quality.

This. You've got me scared about my y510p. Lenovo has a good return policy, so I'll wait and see.

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

Nitis posted:

I thought I'd throw this in here, since I was looking into the Lenovo Return Policy:

Lenovo Return Policy
Lenovo will accept the return or exchange of a Product in its original package for a full refund in cases of Lenovo error (*see gift card policy below). Returns allowed for any other reason will be subject to a restocking fee equal to 15% of the purchase amount (*see gift card policy below). All returns must be initiated within 21 days of the invoice date.

No such thing as a free ride.

That's cheap. I asked a rep who told me it was free. And here's a direct quote from their website

"Purchase any product on Lenovo.com and get FREE UPS Standard Shipping and FREE returns. Simply contact Lenovo to acquire a return shipping label. We'll credit your account within 7-10 business days of receipt. Returns must be initiated within 30 days of invoice on order to be eligible." http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/...nt-and-shipping

However, if you click on "additional information" It has what is quoted above. That's blatant false advertising if I've ever saw it. How can you say one thing, emphasizing the free aspect in capital letters, and then directly contradict it in the "additional details"? They even have different dates for return eligibility! Hopefully I'm happy with the order and don't have to worry about it.

Socrates16 fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Sep 24, 2013

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

That's ridiculous hyperbole. Even the mediocre cheap screen on the Y410p still looks good, it's a fine choice if you don't want to pay extra for an IPS screen.

Good compared to what? A decent HDTV? I can live with that. IDGAF about viewing angles. I just want something comparable to my TV when it's on my lap.

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

Philip Rivers posted:

Is the T430 series expected to take a price dip once the T440/s are on shelves?

I picked up an X120e as a budget option in 2011, and while the little bugger has held up admirably, I never really intended for it to be a permanent solution, and it just doesn't hold up to my average usage very well at all. I'm pretty sure the poor thing contemplates suicide every time I play League of Legends on it.

Anyway, what I'm looking for isn't anything particularly exciting or out of the ordinary. In rough order of importance, the things I value are:

- Good keyboard/hardware in general (the one thing I will say about the X120e is that it's a joy to work on when the work is within its ability).
- :pcgaming:, by which I mean will run a typical modern game well on some level of settings. I'm cool running a game on bare minimum settings so long as it runs well, and I figure this level of performance will translate well enough to my other multimedia needs.
- Maybe nice speakers? I have good enough headphones, but it would be nice to be able to watch things with other people.

I'm so out of the hardware loop. I don't know what Haswell brings to the table, whether or not HD4000 is good enough for playing games, or if I really even care if my screen is ICS or not. My price range is in that $600 sweetspot, but the cheaper, the better in my book. I'm a simple guy with simple needs, and really all I demand from a laptop outside of good build quality is the ability to bring it to my friends' place and LAN with them.

The general consensus seems to be a y410p/y510p. The y410p is a little out of your price range though, low 700's with the B&N link. Maybe you could find a refurb for 600ish. I just bought a y510p myself.

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

Y510p shipping date pushed back from this Monday to 10/21 thaaaaaanks Lenovo.

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

What does everybody think of putting an SD card into my coming y510p and leaving some of my games on it? Faster loadscreens?

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

Fallom posted:

Have y410ps been shipping lately? My order status is still on "Estimated shipping date 9/30" and I'm starting to think about what I'll have to do when I go on a 2-week trip on 14 Oct.

My y510p jumped from 9/30 to 10/21 Friday. I ordered the 22nd. We'll see what happens in the next couple of days.

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

Martytoof posted:

Does the Lenovo y410p have an easily accessible main disk drive? I can't seem to find disk replacement instructions on the downloadable user manual. Want to get the y410p but I want to shove an SSD in there, and I only see options for 1TB 5400+24GB SSD online.

There's a detailed description of how to do this with pictures around page 90 of this thread by Quarkjets.

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

Hadlock posted:

Lenovo's website also says the Y410 is shipping in less than 10 days :drat:

Yeah, well my y510p was supposed to ship last Monday. Take those shipping dates with about a half a pound of salt.

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

My y510P is out for delivery right now. I'll give a review of it based on my criteria(speaker volume, screen quality) Friday when I have a bit of time. Any yX10P owners have recommendations upon bootup? Things to tweak, software to download? I think I'm going to put an SSD in there at some point, but I need some more free time first.

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

Here's my review after a day with the y510P.

1. The display

The most important factor for me in choosing a laptop. In the sad state that is the modern day laptop screen, I'd say this is an above average display for a 1080P laptop. After calibration, there is some pretty good pop to the screen and everything is vibrant and colorful for the most part. Sadly, it really lacks compared to the IPS displays I've dealt with recently in terms of resolution. I think this is mostly an issue of me dealing with IPS displays on smaller devices, and thus being spoiled by the condensed pixels. Also, a lot of the issue has to do with content: many webvideos are still shot in 720P, so it's not always the case I actually get to use the 1080P display to its fullest.

2. The speakers

The best I've ever heard on a laptop. Both the quality of the sound and the noise is very much improved from my Toshiba satellite. Ultimately, though, it just isn't loud enough for use in the way I wanted, i.e. washing dishes and getting a glass of water without having to switch to another sound input device. I use my laptop as my primary media device, and it just doesn't get loud enough. Maybe no laptop can.

3. Various notes

I haven't had time to game yet, so I'll just point out some other bits. The keyboard is the best I've ever felt. It's responsive and smooth with no flex. The trackpad is among the worst I've ever used. It's sloppy and awkward and clicking is uncomfortable. The bezel around the screen is comically large. Face unlock and start button included are nice touches.

4. Conclusion

I'm going to give this another couple of days. With tax, this sucker is a hair under a grand. While it's certainly better than my POS Toshiba, is it $1,000 better? Right now that answer is no. If I'm not getting the display I want, the sound isn't loud enough for my needs, and the trackpad is awful, why not return it and just get that new HP chromebook? The IPS display may be just what I need. Like I said, I'll give it some more time, but it's a no go as of now. Really not looking forward to fighting with Lenovo over their deceiving return policy.

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

I just calibrated using the "calibrate display color" application within windows. I don't have specific numbers. All I really did was lower the gamma to about a quarter from it starting at about half. Everything else seemed to be spot on out of the box.

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

So, turns out there is a major wifi issue on the y510p. Anyone else experiencing this? It looks connected for the computer but the internet won't work. There's a massive thread on it in the lenovo forums: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-Z-and-P-series/New-y510p-with-a-wifi-problem/td-p/1163533/page/2

What a mess. The router I use is in a neighbor's apartment, as is the hard line, so I'm not fixing this today, or likely tomorrow because I have class until 9PM. That's a "Lenovo Error" if I ever heard one(from their shady rear end return policy). I'm calling them. This sucker is going back.

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

Officially entered the form on Lenovo to return my y510p. It now lays useless. Wifi will not work and my neighbor(who has the hardline) is asleep.

So, what's the word on chromebooks? That new HP with the IPS display is really tempting. Can they play anything on the web? I think the biggest problem I'll have is that one of my favorite boxing platforms, wealth TV(which, ironically, I only get online) uses microsoft silverlight of all things. Besides that, any other issues with web play? Does flash content run well,what about other, obscure videos on the web? Some fights are literally not available in the U.S. so I have to watch on obscure websites using unknown streaming technology.

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

I saw it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

I am leaning towards a 510 because I want a larger machine with an integrated 9-key, as trivial as that might sound to some. I should take it from this remark then that the screen quality is quite good?

I am literally packing up my Y510P to return as we speak. It's definitely a quality device, but screen is the most important thing to me, and the 1080P screen wasn't good enough. It's not bad by any stretch, and the bang for the buck on the device is great, but the screen just can't compare to my HDTV or phone. I'm just going to grab that new HP 11 chromebook because it's the only computer I've seen with an IPS display that isn't $1,500+.