Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I'm looking for a decent-priced ($500-$700-ish, AUD) 2-in-1 as something to use on the train and jobhunt with during lunch. Are the Lenovo Yoga 300's any good? The reviews point to a dim display on an otherwise good device, just wondering if it's something all that noticeable. If anyone's got any better recommendations, I ideally I want something about 11.6" with SATA storage rather than eMMC just so I can upgrade/replace the harddrive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Anyone got anything bad to say about the Dell Inspiron 11 3000? The 2015 model, at least. Doing more research and this is looking more and more like what I'm looking for.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well after three stores saying all their Dell Inspiron 11's had defects, pretty sure I'm not getting one and I'd advise against anyone else doing the same unless they like gambling. Does anyone know what the tells are for the version of the HP Pavilion x360 11T vs its earlier model are? It's a version with a decent IPS screen over the TN's most 2-in-1's have and Australian laptops tend to be goddamn special snowflakes with their model numbers.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Basch lives. posted:

The Dell weighs way more than the Yoga, since one is an ultrabook. Thinkpad Yoga is business class, with better build quality than a consumer grade Inspiron. Does the yoga have a dedicated gpu? If integrated graphics only then the yoga still would be able to handle those games at low to medium ish settings.

Your choices are superior build quality and lighter weight (better for students and mobility/traveling in general) versus screen size, graphics performance, ram, and heavy weight with worse build quality.

These two laptops couldn't be more different from each other in size class and specs. You need to work out your use case, since they emphasize different categories. Mobility vs specs. Which is more important to you?

Be aware if you get a Dell you need to go make drat certain you've put a bullet in the eDellRoot certificate before doing anything online with it.

You might want to also consider the HP models around the same size too, so long as you're ready to spend ten minutes killing the bloatware they come with.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

melon cat posted:

I'm looking for a fast, lightweight laptop to replace my wife's dying ThinkPad. We've decided that the Surface is overkill (as suggested to me by someone in this thread much earlier), but a Chromebook isn't enough since we do need a machine running Windows 7/10. It'll be mainly used for web browsing, MS Office and very basic photo-editing/blog updating. Budget = $600 at the very maximum. I'd prefer to avoid Lenovo due to their recent history of BIOS fuckery. Any suggestions?

If an 11.6-incher is acceptable, I'm very happy with my new HP Pavilion x360. It's even a 2-in-1that'll take a standard laptop drive and RAM rather than the welded-in stuff. Just make sure you hunt down the newer 11t model that has an IPS screen and quad-core CPU.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Dec 6, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

melon cat posted:

Thanks for this suggestion! How does the overall build quality feel? My only concern with buying the smaller, less expensive laptops is running into something like an Ideapad- a cheap, plastic-y thing that breaks when you do as much as sneeze on it.

Build quality's fine, doesn't feel cheap or anything. The only thing of note is it can be a bit heavy and chunky for tablet form, but it's fine if you've got it sitting in the crook of your arm or whatever, and doesn't matter at all if you're just using it as a laptop :v:. The only noticeable hotspot is center-back on the base, which only really gets mildly warm with heavy-duty work and that's probably mitigable by swapping out the 500GB harddrive with an SSD (I think there's a model in the US that has one preinstalled). There are several models lurking in the wild, and the one you want is the newer Pavilion X360 11t. The very easy telltale is that the mechanism joining the screen to the base is two small pieces instead of one long one, and it's worth dropping a little extra cash to get the quad-core variant.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

obi_ant posted:

Edit: Is the 512 SSD faster than the 256? I saw some reviews that stated they are?

Speed's generally based on the model, not storage size. If it's getting better results, it might be a newer variant with a larger capacity.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Butt Savage posted:

Oh yeah, I read about Mr. Fish, alright. I expected that poo poo from Acer or Asus or maybe even Dell (they sorta did, though, didn't they?), but from Lenovo and on their business line of all things? loving incredible.

It's just outright pathetic considering there's a $300 chromebook with a respectable screen out there and yet Lenovo can't be bothered to do that for their $700+ machines without paying a premium.

I'm probably gonna pick up a refurb T-series some time next year just to dick around with, so hopefully I can get one with the better screen.

Dell's was stupidity rather than malicious, and a fairly easy fix. They left a default certificate in the Windows install that made their laptops wide open to man-in-the-middle attacks because it would pass all security certificates without checking them.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Eikre posted:

Fukkin christmas shopping.

I'm looking at folding 2-in-1s and trying to find something small with good build quality and battery life. I'm very interested in finding something more economical than a Surface Book that nonetheless shares its squarer aspect ratio, and if you like listening to grognards for some reason, I would be happy to complain about the market preponderance to "widescreen" for you. I'm aiming for a moderate resolution (1680x1050 or so), and as long as it has an SSD, I'm not worried about the computational specs unless they are aggressively awful.

Right now I'm kind of dialed into the Yoga 3 11", but since it's a Lenovo, I'm curious about its build quality. I could drop a couple hundred more on the pro model if that would ensure a more solid machine. They also make a Thinkpad version, but since this is lenovo-original design and there would be basically zero inherited engineering from the IBM days, I can't imagine the name is worth anything on its own. Interestingly, the Yoga 2 Pro is also still relevant, purportedly having the same battery life and a better (non-mobile) processor while being only moderately heavier than its successor.

I've read the past 20 pages and it seems that, pertaining to this sort of machine, nobody has any of the solid, dictatorial authority that I usually like seeing in recommendations for Goons. Nonetheless, I'm hoping to hear your opinions.

Go look at the HP Pavilion x360. Make sure it's the newer model (x360 11t) with two swivel mounts instead of one long one. It's a tubby little bastard with decent battery life, quad-core, and an IPS display.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Klaus88 posted:

Does anyone know how to switch an HP's function keys back to normal?

I despise this style of function key. :argh:

It's in the BIOS settings. Seriously, why should Fn+F-key = normal F Key function? :psyduck:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TopherCStone posted:

Oh, yeah that'll do it. This is cheap and has very long battery life, so it might be worth a look. A glance around the internet shows that it seems to be fairly well-received, though I haven't played with it myself. Downsides: eMMC storage and I'm assuming soldered RAM so it can't be upgraded.

Huh, I thought netbooks were quietly put to bed a few years ago. I actually still have my old 1000h, that thing got me through most of university and even managed to run a virtual machine of a couple different server ISO's (not simultaneously though) once I upgraded the RAM to 2GB. If it's going to be the machine you rely on for your primary internet/work machine at home though, you really should at least spend a little extra to get something with upgradeable components (RAM and HDD at least). Storage and memory can both go wonky, and you don't want that happening in a machine you can't replace them individually on.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Chas McGill posted:

Yeah, I've resolved to wait until something better comes out - convertibles and detachable devices are still fairly young and they're getting better. I'm going to get a Shield K1 for simple annotation and soldier on with my X220 until I see an X250 or X1 Carbon going cheap on Ebay.

The Helix 2 would probably be ideal, but it's so expensive here (>£1000 with the keyboard) - decidedly more expensive than the Surface Pro 4, which is already pushing it.

I may get the Lenovo Miix 700 if it comes out early next year.

The real trade-off with the two-in-ones right now is you either get something where everything's integrated or weighs about the same as a large hardcover book. That and they're only just now starting to stop cheaping out on the screens.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

On Terra Firma posted:

Any recommendations for an 11.5-12 in? I need something to set up on my piano as sort of a "learning station". I have an X120E that I use now that can't even play youtube videos fullscreen without stuttering and I'm loving over trying to make it work. I might use it to record a track or two with a line in from my digital piano but other than that no games or anything that would require a ton of graphic power. Budget 500-750$-ish. I can write it off as a business expense so price isn't too big a deal.

edit: Just found this. Any thoughts? http://outlet.lenovo.com/outlet_us/itemdetails/20DLX028US/445

Try the 2-in-1 I picked up a while back. The HP Pavilion x360-11t is a little chunky to be waved around as a tablet, but it has an IPS touchscreen and decent sound output (or at least it advertises as such). You can also replace the drive and RAM with standard laptop parts rather than soldered-in integrated ones you often get at the 11-12 inch size. You'll need to hacksaw the bloatware it comes pre-installed with, but otherwise it's pretty zippy and even has a quad-core model.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Virtue posted:

What's the current recommendation for a CS student? Portability is important so no gaming behemoths that are terrible to lug around please and it's not a main computer anyway. Would like to stay around $600 but could be persuaded to go higher/lower.

Generally speaking, you want something where you can upgrade the RAM and drive at the very least, probably around the 11-13 inch size if you're using it for notes in class as well as coursework. A quad-core processor is worth the investment if you're doing any network or server classes like Unix or Windows admin, just for running a VM of a server and a client OS at the same time.

Some general advice; when you do practical lab work, do it on your laptop as much as you can rather than uni desktops. Configuring remote connections to the server running whatever you're doing for the exercise, or just installing and configuring the software, is just as educational as the task itself. Also download VirtualSheep as well so you never need to worry about getting a dvd drive either.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Calidus posted:

I don't think you really need a Quad Core for CS at the university level. A simple dual core Intel chip with 8gb of ram will handle a your IDE of choice and you can spin up a basic linux command line with virtual box. The engineering department at my school had crap tons of xeon workstations, loaded up with all the software you could ever need. If you need software outside of Office, a web browser and an IDE use a department machine for it. Configuring an UltraSpark emulator on your personal machine is a waste of time. Your going to be graded based on those department machines and you will be using them for 4 or more years.

tldr: buy a used/refurbished Thinkpad T series with a 1080 screen for $600-800 or a new XPS13 if you are willing to spend $1k or if you are really brave and cheap buy a good Chromebook for $300 and put Ubuntu on it.

Your degree worked different to mine then, because at the end of the day all they cared was you submit the work online, it didn't matter if it was done on your own PC or a school terminal. Plus having it all on-hand is extremely useful when it comes time to doing assignments and projects. The quad-core wasn't for a basic linux VM (hell I managed that fine on an Eee 1000h during my own Uni time), it was more for if they're doing server/client stuff requiring multiple VM's active simultaneously.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Volcott posted:

So, I had to return a computer for the first time in my life. I ordered a Dell Inspiron 7000 2-in-1 and put it under the tree until Christmas, so I was technically outside of the 30-day return window, but it had something like a half-dozen issues so tech support did me a solid.

I'll be replacing it with an XPS 13 once the refund goes through.

Sounds like you fell into same the trap that I nearly did. My shortlist for a 2-in-1 ended on a Dell Inspiron 11 3000... right up until the three stores I went looking for one at all said they only had a stack of returned defective ones :awesomelon:.

I did far too much research on the 11.6-inch models, and I can tell you the only two that aren't mediocre or outright crap (Chromebooks aside) are the Yoga 3 11, and the HP Pavilion X360 11t. Even then, the Yoga 3 11's screen is pretty crap, and the Pavilion only ranks up as decent due to being kinda chunky but at least being one of all of two models (that I know of) with a decent IPS touchscreen and having a quadcore processor (I'd still recommend it though). The Dell Inspiron 11's the other with an IPS.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

dissss posted:

I was looking at a Yoga 3 11 in a store today and was actually fairly impressed with the display - it was definitely IPS or equivalent and was decently bright. Overly reflective but that's to be expected.

Where it falls down is the colour range is atrocious compared to just about any other model, and it's got some bad construction with pressure applied to the monitor in the corners. It actually is an IPS display, that's my bad though. Could've sworn it said it wasn't on my first look through the reviews. It's still not a bad machine, just saying that the 11-inch ones tend to come down to "decent screen, modular parts, build quality; Pick two and tank the other one".

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bogart posted:

Are there any good laptops with the swivelly screen thing that aren't bad? If my problem is 'I break the hinges a lot' then it stands to reason that I should just get one that is swivelly and designed to have flexible hinges.

Or I'll just get another Thinkpad 400something. :negative:

They're generally called 2-in-1's if you want to search models. At the 11-inch size you're looking at either the Lenovo 3 11 or the HP Pavilion X360 11t. Go with the former if you want a basic tablet, the latter for a laptop. 13 inch, probably the Lenovo Yoga 900 or the HP Spectre x360 13t. Be aware they're all going to have reflective displays in bright light, and dont go near the Dell models.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

grimcreaper posted:

Thanks for the reply on that.

The motion blur caught me by suprise. I think it must be a lot more noticeable due to Wows use of fairly vivid colors compared to most of the other games that i tried. Even d3 didn't seem too noticeable until I was really looking for it.

Lenovo 2-in-1's have generally nice specs, but they have some of the worst LCD monitors.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hadlock posted:

What use does a PC laptop user have with Lightning connectors?

Proper grounding in a thunderstorm.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Anything with upgradeable RAM probably isnt going to be Macbook Air-thin.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Go to your drivers, delete the video driver and let it reinstall itself.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I spent three years coding on an 10-inch EeePC screen by choice for Uni, I regret nothing :shepface:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

nwin posted:

I didn't notice a general questions thread, so here goes:

Are antivirus programs still a thing? I've been on Mac for years so I haven't bothered with them...now that I have a Windows laptop, I remembered that I might need one.

Just grab the free version of Avast if you need peace of mind.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

blowfish posted:

Do you also need a good keyboard? If not, buy some tablet.

There's also 2-in-1's. A few actually have a decent keyboard.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cassa posted:

Looking at the Lenovo Yoga's, they're very tempting especially over my friends' recommending me iPads and Surface Pros.

The only thing preventing me pulling the trigger is a slight confusion over which model the thread recommends due to being in Australia and the model numbers not quite matching up.

I'm just looking for something that'll do the train trip to uni and back, and do decent note taking + researching without going flat immediately.

Take a look at the HP x360's too. They're a little thicker than the Lenovo's, but you can replace the RAM and harddrive down the line and there's also a quad-core 11-inch model that's pretty easy to come by (JB Hi-Fi has them). I get decent battery life out of mine, and it'd only get better with an SSD stuffed inside instead of a mechanical drive.

One more thing if you do more 2-in-1 Laptop research; The Dell Inspiron 11 might look tempting with the superior-sounding specs of the 2-in-1's, but do not go near it. It's hilariously prone to breaking, even before it gets off the store shelves.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
HP, I dont think you can really list your hardware replacement instruction page by series when my model varies massively to the older one shown. Also whichever designer thought hidden screws under the rubber feet was a good idea needs a stern talking to or a slight beating. :argh:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

At the bare minimum I'd rather have a low-quality SSD (the one I would recommend is the Sandisk Z400s) over any 2.5" platter drive. Once you get used to all sorts of programs loading in sub-10 second times you really can't go back.

Don't forget shaken baby harddrive syndrome. It is lovely having fast booting and better battery time though, not to mention running much cooler.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ItBurns posted:

I just had the pleasure of having a Dell chat agent try to scam me.

Oh Rajesh, we hardly knew each other. :allears: Next time wait until the second date.

You cant say that without sharing details :munch:. Did he at least give you a kiss before trying to gently caress you?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hadlock posted:

Those hinges on the HP Spectre 13 look neat, but I'd get nervous picking my laptop up by the display. Funky display hinges look funky because the ones everyone use are boring because the loving work, and don't break when you pick up the laptop by the display.

XPS 13 is in it's 2nd? 3rd revision and is a known bulletproof laptop.

HP Spectre 13 isn't even formally released yet, with a dodgy-looking hinge design.

If its gonna be anything like its 11-inch version, wait for the revision in six months to a year that unfucks the bad parts and upgrades the CPU.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

KingEup posted:

I'm amusing non user upgradeable ram too?

You likely assume correct :v:. If they wont let you fiddle with the drive, I doubt they'd leave the RAM as a SODIMM when they can integrate that too.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Betty posted:

What would be causing extremely poor wifi range on a new laptop? Sitting anywhere further than 15 ft from the router results in a super weak connection. Sitting in another room cuts it out completely. Is this a poor adapter or antenna or a driver issue? Other wireless devices seem to work fine on the same router so I don't think that's the issue.

Try checking if the driver's up to date. Alternatively, what class of wireless is it? If it's b/g and your laptop only likes n, there will be issues.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DONT CARE BUTTON posted:

I really prefer a touchpad that has two buttons on the bottom, where the thumb rests. So this seems to completely rule out the lenovo laptops. What brands besides dell should I consider?

Actually some laptops use concealed click-in buttons at the bottom of the touchpad rather than touch zones, so you might want to go poke some in-person.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

paradoxGentleman posted:

Today I checked with one of those sites that check if my computer can handle a certain game, and it told me that everything's fine except for this:

Is there anything I can do about it?

If you're not sure what your actual video RAM's like, run dxdiag (click Start and type dxdiag in the Run line in Windows 7, or in the search bar in Windows 10) and check what it says under the Display tab.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MagusofStars posted:

So my laptop (HP Pavilion*) has recently started overheating. I opened it up and blew out all the dust with compressed air (wasn't that much dust, oddly). I have also tried replacing the thermal paste on the CPU and GPU. But it's still running a bit hotIt's a bit better than it was, but Core Temp is still showing me numbers between 80-95 C as a typical basis (it hits about 82 just in the time it takes to boot up) and maxes around 105 or so. I never ran any active temperature monitoring before I saw issues, but that seems really high to me. Any thoughts/recommendations?

*I know, I know, HP consumer level laptop. But (a) I got it on a big discount, (b) too late to worry about it now and (c) I'm trying to keep it alive to pass down to the fiancee whose most intense computer task is Netflix.

Does it have a mechanical hard drive in it?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I'm looking at getting a new 13-14 inch 2-in-1 as a remote work and kill-time-on-the-train machine and have seen what looks like a really good sale price on a 2020 model HP Spectre 13 x360 with a 10th Gen i7 processor, 512GB drive and 8GB RAM for $1650AUD. Is there any better recommendations for around that price point, or should I just jump on that Spectre? Ideally I'm looking for decent specs and good battery life, doesn't have to be high-end it's mostly just gonna be doing web browsing and acting as a remote client to work.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lockback posted:

I dunno about prices in AU. Maybe look to see if there's a Flex 5 around for less? Your deal seems high for only 8GB of RAM. That isn't a huge deal but I am neraly certain its soldered on the x360 so if you're spending that much its nice to have 16GB. Otherwise the x360 is nice.

It is soldered, but it seems that the HDD's replaceable. I've looked for the 16GB model, but there's only the 2021 model around with that, and I'm pretty sure this is a clearance price to try and shift what's left. The going price for it is $2,000AUD+ normally everywhere else, so I think I'm just gonna jump on the Spectre X360 if there's no major red flags with it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Stockwell posted:

I'm still hemming and hawing over returning this HP Envy i've got, and getting this instead:

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/produc...win-10/15264488

I don't mind dropping settings a bit, and don't think I'll play anything over 1080p, would this have more staying power than a PS5 if I were to get away from consoles? I haven't done any serious gaming on PC in years.

You'd be better off building a tower for PC gaming imo, if you want to go that far down the rabbithole. It'll last a LOT longer than a laptop because you can pick-and-mix parts for incremental upgrades.

If you just want something simple that's guaranteed to be relevant for a good 5-10 years, go with the PS5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

~Coxy posted:

I don't have a dog in this fight but could it not be argued that this isn't true for the PS4 or XBone either?
You were getting a pretty second class experience trying to run the latest AAA on your launch console, and were recommended to upgrade to a Pro or XBonX.

Nooo, the PS4 Pro was very much been an optional thing through its lifespan and never the norm. Hell, most games didn't even take advantage of it. A gaming laptop's not going to last you as long as a console because it's on a platform subject to endless revisions and upgrades every single year and you'll get caught short if anything completely new pops into existence (eg; VR, as some laptops don't route the GPU through their external display port). A console is a consistent variable for its entire lifespan and anything added on to that typically works with the standard model (eg; PSVR).

Not to say a gaming laptop in of itself is bad, just that if you're expecting it to be a relatively-current machine for any length of time on par with a modern console it's not gonna happen. We're already on the cusp of getting the new super-fast SSD's used in PS5's getting a broader release, as another example.