Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jeffreyw
Jan 20, 2013
Its a strange design decision. This laptop looks exactly like the old Vaio Z where it was too light and thin to try being rigid so it survives by being rather flexible. Expensive floppy laptops give people heart attacks but Sony's carbon fibre lineup has generally been pretty decent in terms of longevity.

Keyboard still looks awful though. Shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeffreyw
Jan 20, 2013

shrughes posted:

I haven't looked closely at the Vaio Fit 15E's reviews but I think it has a good or pretty good display for around <$600. That might not be true, maybe it merely has a decent 1920x1080 display.

The screen is very good if you are able to look head on. Viewing angles are really pathetic but what can you do about TN screens on consumer-focused laptops? Taking this into account, its probably not the best screen for photo editing. Its also feels extremely heavy, more so than your typical 15" laptop, and I'm not entirely sure why this is the case.

Talking about Vaios, I've also taken a look at the 13" Vaio Pro. I dunno what The Verge is talking about regarding the keyboard. The laptop itself is floppy if you intentionally look for flex but the keyboard is one of the better chiclet keyboards on the market and there isn't any noticeable flex under normal use. Key travel is good and there's actual tactile feedback too. The trackpad is definitely suffering from driver problems, though.

jeffreyw fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jun 14, 2013

jeffreyw
Jan 20, 2013

shrughes posted:

The Thinkpad Yoga has a 12.5" screen, and presumably nobody wants to make anything more than 1920x1080 in the relatively unusual 12.5" size. Also I'm not sure if there are many wacom digitizers rolling around in that size -- Sony's Duo and Flip have digitizers, but I'm not sure if they're Wacom (the Duo 11 was not Wacom). The Thinkpad Yoga also has much less battery life than the IdeaPad Yoga (according to some spec list I saw).

Sony uses N Trig or whatever its called. Its not Wacom though.