Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I'm currently looking for a new laptop for my girlfriend. She's been using an Asus netbook for a couple of years now because she needed the mobility and cheaper price tag. She's now looking to get a "normal" laptop around the 13" to at most 15" display size and with a budget of approximately 500€ (680$)

I've been trying to have a look but it's been a while I didn't buy a laptop anymore and more generally didn't follow hardware evolution. So I am now kind of lost.

What are the good reliable sellers nowadays ? I looked at thinkpads since they were mentionned in the OP but the T, X and W series that were recommended specifically are kind of outside of the price range. The E range seems to be ok on the price side. Interestingly they don't sell the same models in the US and in Europe so have a French link Thinkpad E series
The terms should be pretty transparent, just know that French people hate English and use o (octet) instead of the b (byte). I was thinking about that E540 maybe ? (especially since the pages for the other models won't load)

I've been looking around on Dell's site too and found this possibility (Have another French link because this model is not on the English site anymore apparently)
Inspiron 14z - Silver
The SSD mainly caught my eye since they are supposed to be fantastic. But the reviews themselves are not that enthusiastic so I remain unconvinced.

She doesn't use her computers for anything really performance intensive, no gaming, no graphics intensive software so far, mostly browsing, watching videos and working.

As she's not really into computers I'd prefer to stick with standard run of the mill Windows OS.

If you have any advice for models or sellers I'd be very thankful ! :sun:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

P.N.T.M. posted:

I suggest looking at the E335 (€449.99). It has a worse CPU (AMD E2-2000), but is smaller (13")(1366x768). The decision is up to you and her. Your price-point is rock bottom, but good luck finding something.

I realize that but we're both students and have a limited budget and she's not that big on computers except browsing, watching videos and Microsoft Office, so I guess that should be doable on a 500€ machine ?

The OP mentions 600$ as breaking point from which one up you can get a decent quality laptop and we are technically above that limit. Then again maybe they are pricier in euros ?

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
First time I took a backlit keyboard was admittedly because I tend to like gaudy shiny things, but honestly it turns out to have been a really good choice. It may seem silly but the keys stand out way better as soon as the light gets dim and it's just a really nice thing to have in my opinion, especially on a laptop when you tend to move around and not have ideal lighting all of the time.

E : VVV Ah, fair enough that's up to taste obviously, I understood that you were against backlit keys in general.

Fathis Munk fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 12, 2013

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
So the ASUS T100 doesn't get bogged down by normal internet/youtube/office usage ?

I really like the concept but that kind of pushed me away. I have an ASUS netbook I use for work related stuff when I need to move but it gets bogged down so fast, even after a fresh reboot it struggles with Youtube videos,it's really really irritating.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I'm still looking for a laptop for my girlfriend but we may finally have settled on a Latitude 14 - 5000 from Dell since as students we can get some massive discounts on the professional Dell models. Any particular thoughts about those ?

It has a INTEL CORE I3-4010U (1,7GHZ/3MO/2 CORE) processor which as far as I can tell is a Haswell so that's a good thing right ?

We still had a couple of questions, the laptop comes with 4 gb RAM with the option to bump it up to 8 gb, would this be worth it ? She plans to use it mainly for browsing, microsoft office and video viewing, no gaming.

I was also wondering about the HDD, it's kind of weak : only 500 gb at 5400 RPM but for 19 € we can get 500 gb and 8 gb integrated flash SSD (That one would be SSD right ?). Is 8 gb enough to be useful and noticeably speed up the computer ?

The computer she has right now is an Eee PC which is starting to chug along a lot, it's getting overwhelmed even by simple browsing. We have heard that it's pretty normal and that netbooks have quite a low lifespan before they become really slow. She would really like that next computer to last her longer.

I am aware that there might be better price/performance options out there but that model would cost us about 700 € and that really represents the upper limit of our budget (And she really wants a screen smaller than 15 inches).

So all these :words: to know : What are your thoughts about the latitude 5000 series, 4 or 8 gb RAM and is an integrated 8gb SSD worth it ?

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I'm sorry to ask again after such a short time but we really want to buy the new laptop as quickly as possible.

So basically :
Do you guys have any major arguments against a Dell latitude E5440?
Is 4 gb of ram enough for browsing /office work/video watching? Or should we just go with 8?
Is it worth adding 8 gb of integrated flash memory to the hard drive? (for 19 euros)

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Bob Morales posted:

The 5-series latitudes are built to am amazing cheap price point, which means they are built like $299 netbooks

Really? I mean they are quite a bit
more expensive than that, the one we're looking at is valued at 1200 euro and as a student we can get it for 600-ish which makes it extremely interesting for us and our limited budget.

It's not supposed to withstand anything all too rough either, just normal use. I even read the latitude e5000 ones are on the more resistant side with metal casings or something. I'd be happy to buy a really expensive super laptop but we just can't afford it and the E5000 series looks like decent quality for a decent price? If you've had some real bad experience with it I guess we'll look somewhere else. :shrug:

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

shrughes posted:

The E6000 series are the ones more able to handle semi serious abuse. The E5000 series are more cheap. Also, is the model you're looking at one with a 1600x900 screen or is it only 1366x768?

It's 1366 with the option to upgrade for about 40 euros

Are the 6000 really that much of an upgrade? It's about a hundred euros more at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Hey, after a couple of years of not really having a laptop I feel the need of having something more mobile again to be able to work/browse(/play) when I'm not at my desktop PC.

I am rather taken by the concept of a hybrid laptop that can be used in laptop configuration to type and in tablet configuration when I just want to do some browsing/watch youtube or something. There's a lotta sexy options out there but I'd be limited by my budget of 750-1000 € at the very max.

Is there a way to get a decent hybrid style laptop for that price ?