Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bigbillthaboss
Feb 25, 2013

TRASH ASS EDGELORD,
PUT ME ON IGNORE
I'm looking to buy, against better judgement and reasoning, a gaming laptop. Yes, I said it.

Back in 2009 I bought an ASUS Laptop, the one I'm currently using, for 800$. It's still running fine, playing Dota 2 at just about peak graphics as well as EVE Online and Guild Wars (with fps at around 40). I have definitely gotten my 800$ worth out of it seeing that 2-3 years is suppose to be the expiration date on these things. I have never upgraded any hardware parts, they are still all stock.

I noticed the lack of discussion in OP regarding ASUS laptops and was curious as to a reason why? Are they poo poo computers (although mine has lasted a good while)?

Also I poking at the idea of getting a new gaming laptop (I believe my portable battery has finally taken a crap after 4 years, and the cooling design on this laptop just isn't cutting it any more). What's the go-to laptop right now?

EDIT: Would it be easier to update my graphics card or would this cause a colossal shitstorm with my ASUS inner-workings?

Bigbillthaboss fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigbillthaboss
Feb 25, 2013

TRASH ASS EDGELORD,
PUT ME ON IGNORE

QuarkJets posted:

^^^ Probably, yes
Why don't you just buy a new battery?

If you really want a new gaming laptop, there's a pretty good 15" Lenovo that I linked 2 pages back for around $1000. But if your current laptop is meeting all of your needs but is getting some poor battery life, you'd be better off just buying a new battery for now. After 4 years your capacity is definitely going to be low, but that can be fixed cheaply and easily (unless your laptop can't have its battery replaced I guess)

And no, you can't upgrade your laptop's graphics card, don't even try

It's running a GTX 220m graphics card, while I'm able to run games I'm definitely pushing the envelope. It's really just time for me to upgrade - is the IdeaPad Y410 a decent but? They have a 'save 480$' special going on right now and I'm really really close to pushing the button.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/y-series/y410p/

It's the one for 769$. Supposedly from tech support they said upgraded the graphics card is quite possible as well in case I want to do that within the year.